What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernon Davis (1 Viewer)

MCguidance

Footballguy
Any chance this guy can step up and be a play maker and an outlet for Kaep?

Where would you rank him going forward?

He's obviously below Graham and Cameron and Gates, but could he be in the next tier with Julius Thomas? Is his hamstring totally healed?

Assuming he's going to come back soon 100% from that hammy, why would he obviously be in the tier below? Its evident that when healthy, Kaep is going to give him a ton of looks and can easily turn in multi TD 100+ yd games, as in the GB game. You can't judge him on the Seattle game. That defense may be one of the best ever. None of the other guys you listed would likely have a good game against them either.

He's obviously below Graham and Cameron and Gates, but could he be in the next tier with Julius Thomas? Is his hamstring totally healed?
I took him everywhere and was very pleased after week 1. The only reason he hasn't kept it up is because he's been hurt. Even hampered with his hamstring, he still scored last week.

Without that hammy injury he would be top 3 for me. To whom else is Kaep going to throw? Davis is also a freak athlete and one of the fastest people on the field.

Yep. I'd say there's a chance...

Any news on whether Vern will be out vs Saints due to concussion?

i just saw they have already ruled out Vaccaro.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Any news on whether Vern will be out vs Saints due to concussion?

i just saw they have already ruled out Vaccaro.
Concussion protocol. Likely won't know anything until Friday. Make other plans.

I'm starting him. Haven't heard anything but positive/going the right direction reports throughout the week.

Starting him at flex with Graham as main. And to think all the so called experts have him ranked real low. Kap needs Davis in a bad way too. I'd also have no problem starting him even w/o Graham.

Rotoworld:

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh feels like Vernon Davis is "ready to break out."

Harbaugh used a confusing olive jar analogy in his rambling explanation, but the point was clear. Whether or not the breakout is actually coming is less clear. The 49ers have been forcing the ball to Davis over the last several weeks, but he has only managed four catches and 34 yards total over the last three games. Traditionally dominant in the red zone, Davis has not even been targeted inside the 20 since Week 1. Davis is too risky to play in seasonal leagues, but could be worth a punt in daily formats.

Source: Pro Football Talk
Nov 22 - 9:35 AM

This guy has a total of 75 yards receiving in his last seven games, and hasn't scored since week 1. Mind-boggling.

I don't get it, this guy is a beast at TE. Maybe it's injury, Harbaugh or just plain old Kaepernick sucks as a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why, but it seems like Davis has been much of an afterthought since Kaepernick took over at QB. Smith seemed to lock in on Davis.

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows believes the 49ers' new head coach would likely be interested in retaining Vernon Davis.

Barrows writes, "At least two of the 49ers' head-coaching candidates expressed bewilderment that the 49ers couldn't get more than 245 yards and two touchdowns from Davis this past season." Davis was certainly misused in 2014, but he also took a big step back on the field. He struggled to get open, dropped passes when he did and missed several games with injuries. San Francisco could save almost $5 million against the 2015 cap by cutting Davis.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Jan 10 - 12:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Vernon Davis promises he will participate in the 49ers' offseason program.

Davis skipped almost all of the 49ers' offseason last year before turning in a career-worst season. Davis turns 31 years old later this week and it's fair to wonder if he's reached his decline phase. He failed to produce in the passing game last season and even seemed to hit a wall as a run blocker.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Jan 26 - 3:48 PM

Rotoworld:

49ers GM Trent Baalke confirmed at the NFL Combine that Vernon Davis will be back with the team in 2015.

Davis' performance crumbled amid dysfunction in San Francisco last season. After scoring 13 TDs in 2013, Davis was mind-blowingly targeted once in the red zone in 2014. "It was an off year," Baalke said. "He realizes (that). The great thing about Vernon, he understands." After holding out last spring, Davis is expected to participate fully in the 49ers' offseason program.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Feb 18 - 3:45 PM

Rotoworld:

49ers coach Jim Tomsula said Vernon Davis has "looked extremely fast" at OTAs.

Tomsula also said he's been "catching the ball really well." Davis skipped last year's offseason program because of a contract dispute and proceeded to have the worst season of his career. The 31-year-old has been "stretching the field" and could benefit from Colin Kaepernick's new emphasis on throwing deep. Davis has plenty to play for as his contract expires at the end of this season.

Jun 10 - 11:28 AM

Boldin in a contract year though my bet is he continues to show his age this year. Torrey Smith has potential, and may regress back to his mean after a down season last year, but the guy hasn't been a model of consistency, and makes more headlines about his Iron Man tights than his hands in OTAs. I think that says a lot. Smelter was drafted but seems like they will ease him in slow (if at all) given recovery from ACL. Don't see much in the 10,000 UDFA WRs they have at camp now.

To me, all this spells Davis as a good upside sleeper this year if Kaep gets him the ball.

Rotoworld:

Vernon Davis blamed his lack of production last season on game planning.

"I wasn't really ever a factor in the offense last year," said Davis. "The first game, yeah. But the second game, the tight ends [weren't] really involved as a whole." After putting an emphasis on multiple wide receiver sets in 2014, the Niners are going back to ground and pound. Davis is hoping for a bounce-back year under new tight ends coach Tony Sparano.

Jun 15 - 3:38 PM

Apparently he's moving well, motivated and will actually be a part of the game plan this year.

Could be a steal at his current ADP.

Da Gildz said:
Apparently he's moving well, motivated and will actually be a part of the game plan this year.

Could be a steal at his current ADP.
Massive steal IMO. He is one year removed from 850 and 13 and that wasn't even his career year. I think 700 and 7 is very likely this year.

I am in the court of those who just think Davis was on the outs with the previous coaching regime. He should be better with fresh start.

Current ADP is 14. Are you willing to forego a Kelce/Olsen/Bennett type and grab him late or too much risk?

Users who are viewing this thread