What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Fred Jackson - Moving Forward (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
In a PPR league, by weeks end, he is a top 8 RB in terms of scoring through 5 weeks. Now, I'm assuming EJ avoided a serious injury, bc with Jeff Tuel this conversation is null and void.

Freddy Jax hasn't had a week under 15 points, he is clearly Marone's guy in passing situations and GL situations... I can't see him scoring under 10 in a game & I can see 15-18 being the norm.

For FJax owners or owners targeting him, what his value moving forward assuming EJ is playing? Honestly, I have him almost equal to Spiller. There is the top tier of 6-8 guys and then that second tier and I'd lump FJax in there with the group of guys from like 9-18.

Are you trying to shop him or just plugging him into your lineup?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is the kind of guy you do not want to pay too much for, and his owner (likely the Spiller owner) is hesitant to part with. A guy putting up similar numbers is Bilal Powell, and I think you may be able to get him cheaper.

But to go through the exercise, who would you be targeting as a WR (for example) if you owned F-Jax?

Cobb, Welker, Andre Johnson, Garcon?

Anything less, and you are not getting equal return value (if you currently have him as a starter/flex). I don't see how those owners move them for Freddy. You may have to target specific upstart players (guys who are performing higher than their ADP, much like Fred) or a buy low. In this case, I could see looking at Steve Johnson (depending on his status after yesterday), Josh Gordon or Roddy White. For other positions, Philip Rivers or Julius Thomas.

Overall, there are certainly opportunities, but I think they are limited.

Fred Jackson was RB #11 heading into week 5 for my ppr league. Obviously that rate puts him at the head of the class for RB2. After last nights 2 TD's...he could aruably be a very low RB1. So the stats are there. However in my mind, I still view him as a low RB2 or flex option. I have AP on bye this week and I still did not have Jackson in my lineup for last night. It may prove to have been a mistake on my part...but that has been my mental view of Jackson's role on my team.

That being said...I may have to re-think my value of Jackson.

He's a low floor RB2 with RB1 upside in any week - perfect flex option but don't think you want to rely on him as a RB2 but if you had to it might work out anyways.

Had him on the bench in three ppr leagues. I love me some Fjax but once Spiller was announced active, I pulled him.

Before last night's game I offered the Spiller owner Fjax for Gordon straight and he balked. So hard to get a read on how this backfield will pan out.

It's interesting to me as both a Spiller and Fred Jackson owner how dispirate their value is. Mind you, I'm absolutely in love with Spiller's skill set, but there is absolutely no doubt that Spiller has been a massive disappointment and Fred Jackson, well, has not.

I've owned Fred Jackson for the last three years and every year, he is undervalued. I had a trade done for Spiller last week and another owner basically wanted Jackson as a throw-in. He wanted to throw a non-keepable Stephen Hill at me for the guy. I countered that Fred Jackson, no matter Spiller's health, is likely to maintain RB2 numbers for the entire year. It's clear that schematically, he's going to continue to get red zone touches and be a vital cog in the passing game.

You just can't count this guy out. The only thing that can hurt him is getting hurt. People tend to forget that Jackson doesn't have quite as much mileage on him as most backs his age.

Start this guy with confidence over the rest of the year in PPR leagues. He's not likely to have huge booms but his busts are going to be minimal.

It's interesting to me as both a Spiller and Fred Jackson owner how dispirate their value is. Mind you, I'm absolutely in love with Spiller's skill set, but there is absolutely no doubt that Spiller has been a massive disappointment and Fred Jackson, well, has not.

I've owned Fred Jackson for the last three years and every year, he is undervalued. I had a trade done for Spiller last week and another owner basically wanted Jackson as a throw-in. He wanted to throw a non-keepable Stephen Hill at me for the guy. I countered that Fred Jackson, no matter Spiller's health, is likely to maintain RB2 numbers for the entire year. It's clear that schematically, he's going to continue to get red zone touches and be a vital cog in the passing game.

You just can't count this guy out. The only thing that can hurt him is getting hurt. People tend to forget that Jackson doesn't have quite as much mileage on him as most backs his age.

Start this guy with confidence over the rest of the year in PPR leagues. He's not likely to have huge booms but his busts are going to be minimal.
He really is the Rodney Dangerfield of football - The guy gets no respect, even though he has clearly earned it...

Two weeks ago I flipped Fred Jackson for Mike Wallace. My RB's then were Jamal Charles, Reggie Bush, LeVeon Bell, Fred Jackson, Jason Snelling. My WR's then were Andre Johnson, Antonio Brown, Kenbrell Thompkins and had to start two every week and was scared of Thompkins as my WR3 and Andre Johnson hadn't finished a game yet.

I drafted Fred Jackson in the 10th round 12 team league, Wallace was taken in the 4th round. I thought then it was a great trade for my team but after the stinker week Wallace put up last Monday night it might have been a bad move for me to make. I still feel good about my depth at RB but think I sold him too soon and for too little. If Wallace get's it together then it will still be a good trade for me but now have a different thing to worry about. Time will tell eventually how this works out for me.

Fred Jackson is not going to put up 2 TD games every week and I don't trust him for more then a Flex play. RB2 idk about all that. If I still had him I would be looking to trade him high today. I can't see him outplaying Spiller every game or the Bills moving away from Spiller all season. Spiller is the future, Fred Jackson is a 30 something year old RB. Barring an injury I think the time to move him is upon us. I like Fred Jackson but don't think he continues this run

Colston is the Rodney Dangerfeld of the NFL. Every year he puts up 80 catches and 1000 yards but yet he's never been voted to the probowl even once. He truely gets no respect

Two weeks ago I flipped Fred Jackson for Mike Wallace. My RB's then were Jamal Charles, Reggie Bush, LeVeon Bell, Fred Jackson, Jason Snelling. My WR's then were Andre Johnson, Antonio Brown, Kenbrell Thompkins and had to start two every week and was scared of Thompkins as my WR3 and Andre Johnson hadn't finished a game yet.

I drafted Fred Jackson in the 10th round 12 team league, Wallace was taken in the 4th round. I thought then it was a great trade for my team but after the stinker week Wallace put up last Monday night it might have been a bad move for me to make. I still feel good about my depth at RB but think I sold him too soon and for too little. If Wallace get's it together then it will still be a good trade for me but now have a different thing to worry about. Time will tell eventually how this works out for me.

Fred Jackson is not going to put up 2 TD games every week and I don't trust him for more then a Flex play. RB2 idk about all that. If I still had him I would be looking to trade him high today. I can't see him outplaying Spiller every game or the Bills moving away from Spiller all season. Spiller is the future, Fred Jackson is a 30 something year old RB. Barring an injury I think the time to move him is upon us. I like Fred Jackson but don't think he continues this run

Colston is the Rodney Dangerfeld of the NFL. Every year he puts up 80 catches and 1000 yards but yet he's never been voted to the probowl even once. He truely gets no respect
He has so far, literally every single game, will rank in the top 8 in scoring for PPR leagues after this week, and continually gets bashed. Colston is a 3-5th round pick, he gets his respect from the fantasy world.

He has so far, literally every single game, will rank in the top 8 in scoring for PPR leagues after this week, and continually gets bashed. Colston is a 3-5th round pick, he gets his respect from the fantasy world.
I clearly was saying the rest of the season. Also Week 2 Spiller out played Jackson so not really every single game but hey don't let facts stand in your way of drum beating :shrug:

To value Fred Jackson as the RB to own on the Bills for the entire 2013 season would be foolish imo. Spiller will get his yards and TD's. Last night Spiller was banged up and rushed 9 less times then Jackson did yesterday yet had more yards rushing in the game. Do you really think that Fred Jackson is going to be used rushing the ball more times then Spiller all season or was last night the exception? If you do then time will tell which of us is right but I don't doubt the RB to own today is Spiller.

I clearly was saying the rest of the season. Also Week 2 Spiller out played Jackson so not really every single game but hey don't let facts stand in your way of drum beating :shrug:

To value Fred Jackson as the RB to own on the Bills for the entire 2013 season would be foolish imo. Spiller will get his yards and TD's. Last night Spiller was banged up and rushed 9 less times then Jackson did yesterday yet had more yards rushing in the game. Do you really think that Fred Jackson is going to be used rushing the ball more times then Spiller all season or was last night the exception? If you do then time will tell which of us is right but I don't doubt the RB to own today is Spiller.
& I highlighted your quote bc you base this on what? He has been outperformed (fantasy numbers only) EVERY WEEK SO FAR in PPR!!!

Spiller had 14.7 in week 2 and FJax had 17.5... Even if you get a 2 point bonus at 100 yds for Spiller week 2, still outscored by Jax, so "these facts" you mention I'm avoiding are actually concrete. It sucks if you used a first rounder on Spiller, but he is just a bust! Him and FJax at worst have equal value in PPR in terms of point production.

Lets just pretend we swap their names right now but they keep their own stats - CJ Spiller is a good first rounder and not a bust and Fred Jax is doing exactly what Spiller owners were hoping he would. Unfortunately FJax is named FJax and will always be undervalued no matter how solid he performs.

He's not sexy, and he's workmanlike, but there are no style points in fantasy, and his stats have been rock solid. I may have to begin starting him over Alfred Morris as my RB2. The Bills offense is one of the most prolific yardage machines in the league right now, the team trusts Jackson as a runner and a passer; he gets the goal line and short yardage stuff; and they seem to trust him most of the three in pass protection, so he ends up there in 3rd down stiuations often. No question Spiller is a home run threat and worth getting the ball, but Jackson is the heart of this offense right now, and it strikes me that we should ride him until we've got a reason not to. And I haven't seen that reason yet.

fantasycurse42 said:
moviedude25 said:
fantasycurse42 said:
moviedude25 said:

& I highlighted your quote bc you base this on what? He has been outperformed (fantasy numbers only) EVERY WEEK SO FAR in PPR!!!

Spiller had 14.7 in week 2 and FJax had 17.5... Even if you get a 2 point bonus at 100 yds for Spiller week 2, still outscored by Jax, so "these facts" you mention I'm avoiding are actually concrete. It sucks if you used a first rounder on Spiller, but he is just a bust! Him and FJax at worst have equal value in PPR in terms of point production.

Lets just pretend we swap their names right now but they keep their own stats - CJ Spiller is a good first rounder and not a bust and Fred Jax is doing exactly what Spiller owners were hoping he would. Unfortunately FJax is named FJax and will always be undervalued no matter how solid he performs.
Swap the ages and you have a point it's not just names. Fred Jackson is 32 years old and not the future of the Bills. You can point to production so far all you want but looking ahead I do not see how anyone can feel as confident as you seem to be with a 32 year old RB who was supposed to be phased out this year for a much younger RB after 5 games to start the season.

As for your point of production it's far too early to proclaim a winner here.

C.J. Spiller

74 carries

296 rushing yards

4.0 yards per attempt average

1 Rushing TD

9 catches

29 yards

Fred Jackson

65 carries

309 rushing yards

4.8 yards per attempt

4 Rushing TD

17 catches

153 yards

If you were to actually know that at the end of the season Fred Jackson is the top RB then please share. It's undeniable that Fred Jackson has out performed C.J. Spiller so far this year but that does not say this continues does it? I don't think Fred Jackson's production is sustainable and the time to move him is now. C.J. Spiller continues to be a good buy low candidate

:blackdot: I started Fred this week with Peterson and Le'Veon on bye. With those byes out of the way, I'm considering trying to see what kind of WR I can get for Jackson. I'm a bit concerned about Bell's durability, though...

As an owner of AD, FJax/Spiller, and Trent Richardson in dynasty PPR, Fred's success allows me to shop Richardson.

I just moved him for Vereen. I have a bunch of so-so RBs and hope Vereen will step up at the end of the season. I basically had 3 other "Fred Jacksons" on my team. I just don't see him keeping up this production all year.

And as I type that I realize he keeps proving people wrong.

fantasycurse42 said:
moviedude25 said:
fantasycurse42 said:
moviedude25 said:

Swap the ages and you have a point it's not just names. Fred Jackson is 32 years old and not the future of the Bills. You can point to production so far all you want but looking ahead I do not see how anyone can feel as confident as you seem to be with a 32 year old RB who was supposed to be phased out this year for a much younger RB after 5 games to start the season.

As for your point of production it's far too early to proclaim a winner here.

C.J. Spiller

74 carries

296 rushing yards

4.0 yards per attempt average

1 Rushing TD

9 catches

29 yards

Fred Jackson

65 carries

309 rushing yards

4.8 yards per attempt

4 Rushing TD

17 catches

153 yards

If you were to actually know that at the end of the season Fred Jackson is the top RB then please share. It's undeniable that Fred Jackson has out performed C.J. Spiller so far this year but that does not say this continues does it? I don't think Fred Jackson's production is sustainable and the time to move him is now. C.J. Spiller continues to be a good buy low candidate
I hear the same FJax song and dance every year, too old, not good enough, Spiller, yada yada yada... This quote from Otis above is perfect:

"He's not sexy, and he's workmanlike, but there are no style points in fantasy, and his stats have been rock solid."

I picked him up early in the year as a flex / bye week guy in my shallow roster league. He's been out-dueling Marshawn so I need to think about that moving forward.

FBG really whiffed on both Spiller and Jackson (Not at all surprised).

Glad I grabbed Jackson and skipped Spiller. Jackson is a RB2 until further notice, unfortunately you have to pray for his health.

Glad I grabbed Jackson and skipped Spiller. Jackson is a RB2 until further notice, unfortunately you have to pray for his health.
As opposed to most running backs who aren't good enough to be RB2 and you have to pray for their health like Mathews, Richardson (pick one), Martin....

drafted rice in the first. tried to get pierce from the spiller owner but no luck. aquired f.j. cheap. should i offer fj for pierce?

in thinking no because buf rbs > bal rbs currently.

Im a Spiller owner, and was offered FJax for Harvin today. I declined, because what's the point in trading for FJax when I cant use him this week, but clearly this guy doesnt have a problem unloading FJax so I may have to re-evaluate how much value he has. If Spiller ends up getting more injured before Freddy does, then good move in getting him. If FJax has another major injury, well at least I know Spiller will be gold.

drafted rice in the first. tried to get pierce from the spiller owner but no luck. aquired f.j. cheap. should i offer fj for pierce?

in thinking no because buf rbs > bal rbs currently.
I own Rice in 1 league, Pierce in another. In the Pierce league I have Spiller. Id def trade Pierce for FJax.

I know, not the same as your situation, but Id much rather have FJax on my roster right now than Pierce.

You're like a broken record.

Show me some preseason projections from anywhere that had Spiller bombing and Fred playing like a top 10 RB.

In a PPR league, by weeks end, he is a top 8 RB in terms of scoring through 5 weeks. Now, I'm assuming EJ avoided a serious injury, bc with Jeff Tuel this conversation is null and void.

Freddy Jax hasn't had a week under 15 points, he is clearly Marone's guy in passing situations and GL situations... I can't see him scoring under 10 in a game & I can see 15-18 being the norm.

For FJax owners or owners targeting him, what his value moving forward assuming EJ is playing? Honestly, I have him almost equal to Spiller. There is the top tier of 6-8 guys and then that second tier and I'd lump FJax in there with the group of guys from like 9-18.

Ok. EJ didn't avoid a serious injury - he's out for ~6 weeks. Unless the Bills sign someone competent, Fred Jackson and Spiller are both useless.

But to go through the exercise, who would you be targeting as a WR (for example) if you owned F-Jax?

I own him in a 16-teamer where we only start 2 RBs (flex is WR/TE). I have Charles and Bush, so there is no chance FJax starts for me outside of bye weeks or injuries. Since I'm weak at WR I've been shopping him like crazy. Offered him straight up to RB-poor teams for Cobb and Fitz, and also proposed trades for White and Julius Thomas. No bites yet. I think you may be right that his being so consistently undervalued makes it hard to get anything decent for him.

The new QB probably hurts all Buffalo skill position players, but I don't know that Tuell will continue to be as bad as he looked last night, and i could see the coaches coming up with a safe, run-heavy attack that limits his exposure (and hopefully preserves some of the RBs' value).

ETA: In case you're wondering, yes, I do whistle when I walk past graveyards.

I own him in a 16-teamer where we only start 2 RBs (flex is WR/TE). I have Charles and Bush, so there is no chance FJax starts for me outside of bye weeks or injuries. Since I'm weak at WR I've been shopping him like crazy. Offered him straight up to RB-poor teams for Cobb and Fitz, and also proposed trades for White and Julius Thomas. No bites yet. I think you may be right that his being so consistently undervalued makes it hard to get anything decent for him.

The new QB probably hurts all Buffalo skill position players, but I don't know that Tuell will continue to be as bad as he looked last night, and i could see the coaches coming up with a safe, run-heavy attack that limits his exposure (and hopefully preserves some of the RBs' value).

ETA: In case you're wondering, yes, I do whistle when I walk past graveyards.
I agree that he'll always under valued... I spent the entire day shopping him. I have Dez & B Marsh at WR and bush, shady, leveon, lacy in front of him, so I really want a better QB as I don't love mine, Andrew luck - the best offer I have is Tom Brady for Luck & FJax - knowing that EJ is out, I might take it... But since Luck has out performed Brady to this point , doesn't feel like a great deal... Sucks that even though Freddy has played like a rockstar nobody still wants him.

Im a Spiller owner, and was offered FJax for Harvin today. I declined, because what's the point in trading for FJax when I cant use him this week, but clearly this guy doesnt have a problem unloading FJax so I may have to re-evaluate how much value he has. If Spiller ends up getting more injured before Freddy does, then good move in getting him. If FJax has another major injury, well at least I know Spiller will be gold.
Dynasty? Otherwise Harvin might not even play this year.

Ok. EJ didn't avoid a serious injury - he's out for ~6 weeks. Unless the Bills sign someone competent, Fred Jackson and Spiller are both useless.
I doubt that.

zftcg said:

Call FJax whatever you want, overvalued, undervalued, valued, but no one is trading a WR1 for freaking Fred Jackson.

Sabertooth said:
Alex P Keaton said:

I doubt that.
You doubt that because......what? Because it was some itchy feeling in your groin? Did you watch the Bills offense with Tuel in there? Worse than the Jaguars perhaps.

But you have a different view. Enlighten us.

I have Fred Jackson in a 10 year old 12 person keeper league where you keep 4 guys no restrictions.

This week was the first week I started Fred Jackson.... Trying to sell him as we speak.. I drafted him so I do like him, but I don't think his value is gonna be any higher than it is now.. Hes top 20 overall vorp rankings!

List of RBs I started over fjax this year? David wilson, Ridley, Sjax

Surprised a little bit at the pessimism for FJax/Spiller sans Manuel.

1). Having Tuel come in when Manuel goes down vs. developing a game plan around his limitations are two different things.

2) we haven't seen this shake out, but decent shot, Bills go out and get a veteran.

3) no matter what happens, would seem the Bills would be even more run-centric now.

4) finding RB's in passing game would seem to be a more relied on option with QB situation the way it is.

Also, where one door closes, another opens. Whereas Manual seems to think it is a penalty to check down to a rb, I'm not convinced Tuel knew he could throw to anyone but rbs. I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that FJax will be a solid but not spectacular RB for the rest of the season.

Sabertooth said:
Alex P Keaton said:

I doubt that.
You doubt that because......what? Because it was some itchy feeling in your groin? Did you watch the Bills offense with Tuel in there? Worse than the Jaguars perhaps. But you have a different view. Enlighten us.
not ready to write off a consistent producer because the offense failed to click when an unprepared rookie took over mid game. I'm not prone to panic I guess.

I doubt that.
You doubt that because......what? Because it was some itchy feeling in your groin? Did you watch the Bills offense with Tuel in there? Worse than the Jaguars perhaps.But you have a different view. Enlighten us.
not ready to write off a consistent producer because the offense failed to click when an unprepared rookie took over mid game. I'm not prone to panic I guess.
:goodposting:

They can't all be Matt Saracen.

Call FJax whatever you want, overvalued, undervalued, valued, but no one is trading a WR1 for freaking Fred Jackson.
You're probably right. I had been thinking that I had a shot because it's a super-deep league where the WW has been picked clean -- someone recently traded AJ Green for Moreno (which seemed like an absolute joke at the time but actually looks a lot fairer in retrospect) -- but I agree that FJax is just not the kind of guy anyone's going to get excited about.

OK, so I guess there are really two questions: What level of WR do you think he's worth, and what level do you think you can get for him? I asked a friend who plays in a different fantasy league what he thought I could get for FJax, and he suggested Hartline. No way I would give away Jackson for someone like that. But maybe there's somewhere in between Randall Cobb and Brian Hartline?

I can't get over the name values...a buddy of mine has been talking to me about Rice, but even looking at production Rice's value vs FJax's in my mind is so disparate it's crazy. Then I look at the stats and WISH I had FJax instead of Rice (and could probably get TY Hilton for someone like Kerley/Gibson), but the name and sentiment are so close to me.

Like Otis said, there's nothing sexy about FJax, but I have no idea what his value is.

I've given up trying to trade him. For one thing, with VJax returning to form, Blackmon coming off suspension and Keenan Allen emerging, I no longer have the holes to fill at WR that I thought I did a few weeks ago. But part of it is also the fact that you just can't get proper value for him. No one gets excited, everyone assumes Spiller will eventually supplant him, etc. So I'll hold on to him as a bye-week fill-in next week and the week after, and then maybe I'll give it one more go (I could try to package him and Witten to someone with a stud TE), but most likely end up with him being the best player on my bench.

Keep in mind Fjax's leg is about to fall off. He's been a beast so far this season, but no way he makes it out alive. If you've been riding Fjax i'd be serisouly trying to acquire Spiller before its too late.

Keep in mind Fjax's leg is about to fall off. He's been a beast so far this season, but no way he makes it out alive. If you've been riding Fjax i'd be serisouly trying to acquire Spiller before its too late.
Spiller still has "much more value" then FJax in everyones mind. Personally, I'd rather have FJax, but call me crazy for taking the points over the brand name.

Spiller still has "much more value" then FJax in everyones mind. Personally, I'd rather have FJax, but call me crazy for taking the points over the brand name.
Funny how that brand name stuff works.

As a Spiller and FJax owner, I struggled with starting FJax over Spiller a month ago. As FJax outperforms Spiller week after week, it has become a lot easier though.

Funny how that brand name stuff works.

As a Spiller and FJax owner, I struggled with starting FJax over Spiller a month ago. As FJax outperforms Spiller week after week, it has become a lot easier though.
He needs like 2-3 weeks to let his injury fully heel and maybe just maybe he will play how he was expected to, yet I have become very skeptical!

I'll tell you this much, I'm drafting 34 year old Fred Jackson in the 16th next year :)

FBGs pretty bullish on Jackson this week, and Spiller is doubtful. Lots of us will probably end up having to start FJax over seemingly sexier options, which sometimes feels like a tough thing to do, but it's the right call here. Guy is solid as a rock.

At what point do folks start to accept that Fred Jackson is simply a better all-around RB than spiller? He isn't as explosive, but he makes the offense function better overall than Spiller does. That has been true ever since Spiller joined the team.

I think you have this wrong, spiller is the one who's ankle never heals, Fred is one tough son of a gun, he play every week, spiller won't

Users who are viewing this thread