What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Zach Ertz, WAS (2 Viewers)

what is everyone doing with this guy? He's chewing up a roster spot and hasn't done anything this season prior to getting hurt. 

what is everyone doing with this guy? He's chewing up a roster spot and hasn't done anything this season prior to getting hurt. 
Dropped him weeks ago for Goedert. Even when he was healthy and had no other competition for targets, he looked washed. They were going to trade him if he didn’t get injured. He’s clearly not in their long term plans at this point. 

Managed to trade him for Zach Moss last week. The other guy was hoping he'd come back for the FF playoff run.

Eagles designated TE Zach Ertz (ankle) to return from injured reserve.

Philadelphia opened Ertz's 21-day practice window to return, giving the organization three weeks to either activate the 30-year-old or declare him out for the rest of the year. It's unclear at this time if he'll be activated ahead of Sunday's game against the Browns. Ertz was a non-factor for fantasy leagues prior to injury, averaging 4/30 receiving despite seeing 7.5 targets per game. Expect the Eagles to revert to a heavy dose of 12 personnel if Ertz is in fact cleared to return soon.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 16, 2020, 5:08 PM ET

Speaking Friday, coach Doug Pederson said Zach Ertz (ankle, I.R.) "probably needs a little more time" and is unlikely to be activated in time for Week 11 against the Browns.

The Eagles opened Ertz's 21-day window to be activated earlier this week, but he isn't going to get the green light for this Sunday, locking Dallas Goedert into an every-down role as a top-five fantasy TE1.

SOURCE: Reuben Frank on Twitter

Nov 20, 2020, 10:55 AM ET

For the TE desperate I wonder if lightning can be caught in a bottle with Ertz. Getting sick and tired of my revolving door at TE:

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Zach Ertz (ankle, IR) is "trending in the right direction" to play in Week 12 against Seattle.

The Eagles are "optimistic" Ertz can return after spending the last five weeks on IR. Ertz was designated to return last week but didn't play against the Browns. He'll have an extra day to get cleared with Philly playing on Monday night in Week 12. Getting Ertz back would cut into Dallas Goedert's snaps and target share. Pederson suggested the Eagles could "mix in more 13 personnel" with Ertz and Richard Rodgers going forward.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Nov 25, 2020, 10:42 AM ET

For the TE desperate I wonder if lightning can be caught in a bottle with Ertz. Getting sick and tired of my revolving door at TE:
I've been starting Ebron since losing Kittle, but did grab and stash Ertz.  Who knows, stranger things have happened, and it's a long season.  Eagles just look putrid though, and Goedert (and back-from-the-dead Richard Rodgers) aren't going to just disappear.

Ertz has been a target monster in the not-too-distant past, so I figured it's worth a shot.

I've been starting Ebron since losing Kittle, but did grab and stash Ertz.  Who knows, stranger things have happened, and it's a long season.  Eagles just look putrid though, and Goedert (and back-from-the-dead Richard Rodgers) aren't going to just disappear.

Ertz has been a target monster in the not-too-distant past, so I figured it's worth a shot.
Goedert is the man to have in Philly. Ertz will essentially be replacing Rodgers at this point. A better version of Rodgers for sure, but Goedert is the present and future.

I’m not so sure about this. I understand where you’re coming from as I’ve been waiting for Goedert to supplant Ertz at tight end for philly for a couple of years now but Ertz is Wentz’s buddy and I think if he has anything left to give to the team Wentz will feed him the ball until he proves otherwise

just my two cents

I’m not so sure about this. I understand where you’re coming from as I’ve been waiting for Goedert to supplant Ertz at tight end for philly for a couple of years now but Ertz is Wentz’s buddy and I think if he has anything left to give to the team Wentz will feed him the ball until he proves otherwise

just my two cents
During the first 6 weeks when he was playing he averaged less then 30 yards a game. If that is what having Ertz as a buddy gets him I think Goedert will be all right. 

just my two cents
I'm an Eagles fan, and watch all of the games. Ertz looked shot before he got hurt. Goedert resembles Andrews on the field. If you have a spot, hang on to Ertz, but I wouldn't count on him giving you the production that was expected before the season started.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson doesn't expect Zach Ertz (ankle, IR) to play in Week 12 against Seattle.

Pederson said there's been "no setback" with Ertz, but he's unlikely to play after it looked like he was trending in right direction. It'll be another week of Dallas Goedert and Richard Rodgers against Seattle's league worst secondary. The Eagles are hoping to get Ertz back for Week 13. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Nov 28, 2020, 10:35 AM ET

Goedert is the man to have in Philly. Ertz will essentially be replacing Rodgers at this point. A better version of Rodgers for sure, but Goedert is the present and future.
Drafted Ertz, dumped him for Goedert a while ago. Ertz looked totally washed out there so I think you’re right. As an Eagles fan, any insight as to whether you think Rodgers will just go back to the bench with Ertz now available? Meaning, has Doug shown a tendency to mix in three TEs when available? Rodgers has done decently (better than Ertz) so is there a concern of him splitting up the TE snaps between the 3 of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drafted Ertz, dumped him for Goedert a while ago. Ertz looked totally washed out there so I think you’re right. As an Eagles fan, any insight as to whether you think Rodgers will just go back to the bench with Ertz now available? Meaning, has Doug shown a tendency to mix in three TEs when available? Rodgers has done decently (better than Ertz) so is there a concern of him splitting up the TE snaps between the 3 of them?
This article is over a month old, but there's some good info regarding Ertz that hasn't really changed: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/eagles/eagles-overreactions-is-zach-ertz-done-being-an-elite-tight-end-in-the-nfl/2560509/

I do think when Ertz is available (not this week) he will take over Rodgers snaps, even though Rodgers has looked better than Ertz as well.

Until wentz pulls his head out of his ### i wouldn't feel great playing anyone on that offense.   I get having to play sanders but the offense is junk

Eagles activated TE Zach Ertz (ankle) from injured reserve.

Ertz has been out since Week 6. He has 24 catches for 178 yards and one touchdown on 45 targets through six games this season. His yards-per-catch average of 7.4 yards would be a career low by a wide margin. Dallas Goedert needs to remain the Eagles' top tight end, but look for Philly to use plenty of two-tight end sets. Ertz will send Richard Rodgers back to No. 3 duties.

Dec 2, 2020, 1:33 PM ET

TE routes about the only thing working for the Iggles rn. dude got dropped in a ton of leagues, worth a pickup fo sure if your league mates let him sit there through the byes when he was on IR-R.

Take a look at his output this year when "healthy."

I would avoid.
Oh I know, he’s not the same guy

But IMO he can match Rodgers output and given what a fantasy wasteland TE this year it might be a good option. Good matchups in WKs 14 & 16, and about half the TE1s have rough ones in those playoff weeks.

I’m riding or dying with Hock, obviously if you have a top 3-4 TE this doesn’t apply. IMO.

Oh I know, he’s not the same guy

But IMO he can match Rodgers output and given what a fantasy wasteland TE this year it might be a good option. Good matchups in WKs 14 & 16, and about half the TE1s have rough ones in those playoff weeks.

I’m riding or dying with Hock, obviously if you have a top 3-4 TE this doesn’t apply. IMO.
Sitting on my wire. Debating where to prioritize him in waivers tonight. Currently have Hooper and Kittle (who I pray is available week 15).

This week, he's probably getting his feet wet and the matchup @GB isn't great. Next week, the matchup vs NO isn't great at all. Lightens up in weeks 15 and 16.

Could catch lightning in a bottle if Ertz is the key to unlocking Wentz the rest of the year, but I'm having a hard time differentiating Ertz from a bunch of other middling options such as Rudolph, Burton, L. Thomas, and Hooper.

Sitting on my wire. Debating where to prioritize him in waivers tonight. Currently have Hooper and Kittle (who I pray is available week 15).

This week, he's probably getting his feet wet and the matchup @GB isn't great. Next week, the matchup vs NO isn't great at all. Lightens up in weeks 15 and 16.

Could catch lightning in a bottle if Ertz is the key to unlocking Wentz the rest of the year, but I'm having a hard time differentiating Ertz from a bunch of other middling options such as Rudolph, Burton, L. Thomas, and Hooper.
Yeah, it’s impossible to tell this far out but I looked at Kittle and little Shanny seemed to be indicating that realistically it was looking like a Week 16/17 & playoffs return. He’s not a doctor, it’s speculation and that was a week or two ago, but it was enough for me. Both on our wire as well but we shrunk the league from 12 to 10 bc COVID/disinterest/protests. (ASIDE - 2nd time in the last 4 years we’ve lost 4 managers...after having 1 turnover in 6 years and 2 over 11 seasons. I digress...)

Its suboptimal depending on a veteran coming off injury late. Seen it too many times, never happens (speaking of Ertz here.) Just based on age and this anecdotal historical view - not to be confused with data lol - Kittle might actually make more sense now that I ponder it some more.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said they "have to be smart" using Zach Ertz coming off an ankle injury.

The Eagles activated Ertz from injured reserve but is unlikely to re-enter the TE1 conversation. He's not a lock to play his usual workload with his injury especially with Dallas Goedert playing way better. Ertz is nothing more than a no-floor TE2 in Week 13 and possibly beyond.

RELATED: 

Dallas Goedert

SOURCE: Les Bowen on Twitter

Dec 4, 2020, 8:08 PM ET

I think in a good offense that Ertz could still be valuable when he returns from injury, meaning on other teams that are not 3-7-1 he might look a little better. 

I think in a good offense that Ertz could still be valuable when he returns from injury, meaning on other teams that are not 3-7-1 he might look a little better. 
Yeah, the Eagles would be wise to ship off Ertz for whatever they can get in the off-season. They apparently were ready to ship him off before the trade deadline this year if he hadn’t gotten hurt. Goedert is clearly the better player at this point and he is the future of the position for them.

Yep.  Even with his apparent decline, there's no reason he can't be pre-MNF Jason Witten for a few more years if teamed with a decent QB/coach.

Zach Ertz ran 38 pass routes in Week 16 against the Cowboys, 24 more than Dallas Goedert. 

Goedert hurt his calf against Dallas, but the two tight ends were almost even in pass routes in Week 15. Ertz drew seven targets to Goedert's three looks. Goedert ended up with more yards than Ertz but his lack of pass game usage could be a concern for Week 17. Ertz ran one more route than Goedert in Week 15, though Goedert had eight targets to Ertz's six that week. Ertz is a high-end TE2 this week against Washington while Goedert is a low-end TE1. Goedert and Ertz combined for 11 receptions, 119 yards, and two touchdowns in Week 1 against the Football Team. If Goedert is held out, Ertz is a locked-in TE1. 

RELATED: 

Dallas Goedert

Dec 29, 2020, 10:11 AM ET

Sports Illustrated's Ed Kracz reports the Eagles have talked to Colts and Seahawks about a trade involving TE Zach Ertz.

Kracz added that the Eagles have been looking to trade Ertz for months and the expectation is that they find someone to make a deal with. He also said that the expectation is that Carson Wentz is traded before any move involving Ertz occurs. Ertz pushed for a contract extension prior to the 2020 season but the Eagles didn't play ball. He then posted his worst NFL season in eight years of play. Ertz caught 36 passes for 336 yards and scored just once. All three marks were career lows. Ertz is likely to get a new deal upon being traded but it won't be the massive payday he was looking for before his most recent season. If he's dealt to Indianapolis, it's possible that he is part of a package deal that also involves Wentz, who the Colts are reported to be pursuing. 

Feb 14, 2021, 4:47 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports "multiple teams have called the Eagles about the possibility of trading for" TE Zach Ertz.

Ertz is coming off his worst NFL season but he had gone to three consecutive Pro Bowls before his disastrous 2020 campaign. His counting stats took a dip in part because of his brief stay on IR but his efficiency numbers also contributed to the downturn. Ertz averaged 4.7 yards per target and only caught half of the passes thrown his way. Both marks were lows across his eight-year career. Contending teams could look to poach Ertz from the Eagles in the hopes that he reclaims some of his previous skill but they'll also likely need to give him a new contract. Ertz was pushing for a new deal from the Eagles prior to the 2020 season but both parties were unable to come to an agreement. Seattle and Indianapolis were previously reported to be interested in Ertz and both landing spots make sense for the veteran tight end. 

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter

Mar 7, 2021, 7:50 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Eagles want a third or fourth-round pick for TE Zach Ertz.

Pelissero added that Ertz is "growing increasingly impatient" with the Eagles to get a deal done. Ertz wanted a new contract from Philly last year but the team wouldn't budge. He is now on the final year of his current contract and will likely be playing for a team in the midst of a rebuild if he stays in Philadelphia. As long as the Eagles don't plan on giving him a new deal, a mutual split seems like the most probable outcome. Ertz will likely want an extension from his new team. Add in the draft capital that Philly is reportedly asking for in return and the number of teams in the market for Ertz won't be plentiful. Seattle and Indianapolis have already been rumored to be inquiring about a trade for Ertz. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 14, 2021, 2:34 PM ET

Off the wall thought just interesting difference to me how the Texans let Watt without trying to trade him out of respect and to give him a jump on free agency vs how the Eagles are doing total opposite with Ertz.

Off the wall thought just interesting difference to me how the Texans let Watt without trying to trade him out of respect and to give him a jump on free agency vs how the Eagles are doing total opposite with Ertz.
The Eagles threw a game for draft position with players on the field playing hard. What makes you think they're one bit about the players?

They're a stain on the NFL these past couple of years.

Eagles want a 3rd or 4th rd pick for Ertz.  Good luck with that.  I sure as hell hope the Colts are smarter than that.

I think the public perception may be burying Ertz a little early. He's only 30 and was injured most of last season. He was coming off 88-916-6 and 116-1163-8 the prior two seasons. He's no longer a stud most likely, but he's still a viable option at TE depending where he ends up.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Eagles are "not in a rush" to trade Zach Ertz. 

Garafolo claims that if the right deal does not materialize, the Eagles would be fine bringing him back. He did add that's unlikely. Garafolo's colleague Tom Pelissero reported two days ago that Ertz was "growing increasingly impatient" with not being dealt. The Eagles apparently aren't under any particular monetary pressure to cut Ertz loose even though they have one of the league's worst cap situations. Regardless of how slow it is going, all signs continue to point toward Ertz playing elsewhere in 2021. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 2:58 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles have given Zach Ertz permission to pursue a trade. 

Per Rapsheet, "several teams have been engaged." The news comes the same day Rapsheet's colleague Mike Garafolo reported the Eagles were not in a hurry to consummate a trade. Ertz would seem to be much more impatient, something Rapsheet's other colleague, Tom Pelissero, reported over the weekend. It has been clear since early in the 2020 campaign that the end was nigh for Ertz in Philadelphia. The problem for both him and the Eagles was how physically diminished he appeared last season. Garafolo has reported that contract-year Ertz will not demand a new deal as part of a trade.  

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2021, 5:37 PM ET

ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques reports there's "nothing there" between the Bills' and Eagles' trade negotiations for Zach Ertz.

The Eagles have reportedly been asking for a third-round pick, which isn't a reasonable request for an inefficient 30-year-old tight end past his prime. As one of only two teams (along with the Colts) who are interested in Ertz, though, it does mean Philadelphia could be forced to outright release him in the coming days. Buffalo recently added TE Jacob Hollister to its roster and would likely be more than happy moving forward with him and Dawson Knox in 2021 if GM Howie Roseman doesn't budge on his demands.

SOURCE: Marcel Louis-Jacques on Twitter

Mar 19, 2021, 2:59 PM ET

Well, when Ertz raises 37 million for Philly after a natural disaster, maybe they'd be on the same footing there. Otherwise Ertz is just a dude who teams trade all the time.

🤷🏽‍♂️ One is truly one of the best people and players in the league.  (He might not be among the truly elite on the field at this point but he's still great)

NBC Sports' Dave Zangaro reports there's a "very good chance" Zach Ertz won't play for the Eagles in 2021. 

In projecting the team's depth chart, Zangaro placed Ertz atop the tight end group while conceding the veteran will likely be released or traded in the coming months. The Eagles in March gave Ertz permission to seek a trade. NFL Network reported several teams were interested in acquiring Ertz, who accounts for a massive $12.72 million cap hit this season. The Eagles are reportedly requesting a third round pick in exchange for the fading tight end. Ertz, 30, was slowed by injuries in 2020, finally falling behind the younger Dallas Goedert. Ertz -- like any tight end -- would have renewed fantasy appeal if he were to land in a pass-heavy offense with little competition for tight end targets. 

RELATED: 

Dallas Goedert

SOURCE: NBCSports.com 

May 7, 2021, 8:35 AM ET

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports Eagles TE Zach Ertz failed to report to voluntary offseason workouts.

He isn't expected to for as long as his current situation with the front office remains unresolved. 30-year-old Ertz has one foot out the door ahead of training camp, waiting to either become a free agent and have his pick of the litter or be traded elsewhere; that latter situation is a finicky one since the Eagles have reportedly requested a third-round pick in return for his lofty $12.72 million cap hit this year. Ertz has a safe (albeit uninspiring) floor given his soft hands for being the tight end equivalent of a pontoon boat, but he would need to land on a team without competition to offer a(ny) ceiling for fantasy.

SOURCE: Jeff McLane on Twitter

May 17, 2021, 2:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread