What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Zach Ertz, WAS (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

Zach Ertz played on 52-of-68 snaps in Monday night's win over the Colts.

Ertz played 41 percent of the snaps as a rookie, 60 percent in Week 1 and now 76 percent in Week 2. It obviously helped that the Eagles trailed for just about the entire game, but featuring Ertz is not rocket science. He's turned 10 targets into a 7-163-1 line so far, showing unique body control and agility at 6'5/250. Ertz's target count should only keep growing.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

Sep 16 - 9:55 AM
Gotta love Rotoworld - right after they posted Faust's blurb above:

Zach Ertz caught 4-of-6 targets for 81 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 win over the Colts on Monday night.

Outside of Darren Sproles, Ertz was the Eagles' leading receiver. But after playing 60 percent of the snaps in Week 1, we'd bet that number dipped in Week 2. He just wasn't on the field enough despite making highlight-reel catches when he did touch the ball. Ertz had a big catch on a 3rd-and-11 when he went up and got the ball to set up LeSean McCoy's one-yard touchdown. He's a back-end TE1 thanks to his playmaking ability, but we want to see more usage.

Sep 16 - 12:16 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
The uptempo offense of the Eagles has really only clicked in the second half of the first two games. What happens when they are running on all cylinders for four quarters?

The uptempo offense of the Eagles has really only clicked in the second half of the first two games. What happens when they are running on all cylinders for four quarters?
Then we will see what a healthy Gronk looks like in Ertz.

Blasphemy?

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

Zach Ertz played on 52-of-68 snaps in Monday night's win over the Colts.

Ertz played 41 percent of the snaps as a rookie, 60 percent in Week 1 and now 76 percent in Week 2. It obviously helped that the Eagles trailed for just about the entire game, but featuring Ertz is not rocket science. He's turned 10 targets into a 7-163-1 line so far, showing unique body control and agility at 6'5/250. Ertz's target count should only keep growing.

Sep 16 - 9:55 AM
Gotta love Rotoworld - right after they posted Faust's blurb above:

Zach Ertz caught 4-of-6 targets for 81 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 win over the Colts on Monday night.

Outside of Darren Sproles, Ertz was the Eagles' leading receiver. But after playing 60 percent of the snaps in Week 1, we'd bet that number dipped in Week 2. He just wasn't on the field enough despite making highlight-reel catches when he did touch the ball. Ertz had a big catch on a 3rd-and-11 when he went up and got the ball to set up LeSean McCoy's one-yard touchdown. He's a back-end TE1 thanks to his playmaking ability, but we want to see more usage.

Sep 16 - 12:16 AM
This is lazy analysis. He was a blown throw from Foles away from having 5/110/1. Like, there wasn't a guy within 10 yards of him and Foles threw it behind him. On his "limited" playing he's getting more than enough high-quality targets (20+ yards downfield) to finish the year TE5, if not higher.

He's a trade target for me (in the leagues where I don't already own him). I don't think it's a stretch to say he'll easily finish the year with 1000 yards and 8 TDs, and that's well behind his current pace. That would have tied Julius Thomas last year for TE3 (more yards, less TDs).

And he clearly has upside to 1250/10 given his current production pace.

The preseason hype about his route running is spot on ... he's getting fantastic separation against both LBs and CBs. If I was in any dynasty leagues I would be paying quite a bit to get him.

Shutout said:
TheFanatic said:
Then we will see what a healthy Gronk looks like in Ertz.

Blasphemy?
Not at all. Gronk hasn't been Gronk and may never be Gronk again.

Anybody been trying to get him in redraft leagues? What type of offers have you seen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shutout said:
TheFanatic said:
Then we will see what a healthy Gronk looks like in Ertz. Blasphemy?
That may very well be true, but even if Ertz consistently shows Gronk-like ability, it's hard to see him putting up Gronk-like numbers. The Eagles offense won't run through Ertz like it has with Gronk.

Shutout said:
TheFanatic said:
Then we will see what a healthy Gronk looks like in Ertz. Blasphemy?
That may very well be true, but even if Ertz consistently shows Gronk-like ability, it's hard to see him putting up Gronk-like numbers. The Eagles offense won't run through Ertz like it has with Gronk.
This is true. The Patriots have never had a runner like Shady. But he could very well be in the conversation with Orange Julius and Graham at the end of the season. In Gronk's first two games of that magical sophomore year, he had 172 yards and 3 TD's. Had Foles not thrown behind Ertz on Monday night, he would be sitting in the same place in terms of yards with one less TD. I'm not sure anyone will do that again. Even Graham's best season came short of Gronk's yards and TD's.

Ertz is the man...

The same goes for Ertz, who is quickly developing into one of the game's best young tight ends. The 6-5, 250-pounder is a difficult matchup for opposing defenses because of his blend of speed, size, route-running ability and Velcro hands.

He has seven catches, including a league-high six of 20-plus yards. He's averaging an impressive 23.3 yards per catch. Against the Colts, he caught a 21-yard pass from Foles on a third-and-11 play in the third quarter that kept alive an Eagles scoring drive. In the fourth quarter, he kick-started the game-winning drive with a 24-yard reception.

All seven of Ertz' receptions have resulted in first downs, including a team-high four on third down.

The Colts tried to cover him with a linebacker, a nickel corner and a safety. None had much luck.

"I want to excel in every matchup I get, each and every week," Ertz said. "I was able to make the most of my opportunities on a lot of the plays. That's my goal every week. My philosophy is, I don't want to be covered. I don't want to allow myself to put on tape that I can be covered."

Said Shurmur: "We felt we could throw the ball inside [against the Colts]. We felt like the matchups were good. I thought Zach did a good job of getting open.

"He's a tough guy to cover. He has a really good feel for route-running. He can catch the ball in a crowd. And he's got size. So you can throw the ball high like we did a couple of times and he can take it off the top shelf."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140917_Eagles__wideouts_playing_lesser_role.html#mJ4jOpzuKHX6DmBU.99

The 49er's passed on him in the draft for MacDonald, even though Harbaugh was his college coach at Stanford.

I'm sure he'll have some extra motivation to perform Sunday back home in the Bay Area.

The 49er's passed on him in the draft for MacDonald, even though Harbaugh was his college coach at Stanford.

I'm sure he'll have some extra motivation to perform Sunday back home in the Bay Area.
Nice Tidbit. Would love to see some revenge-fueled smashing by Ertz.

Last week was just enough of a letdown to cause some people to pass on him this week.

Make them pay, Ertz...make them ALL pay!! :)

Technically, the 49er's didn't pass on Ertz, they had the pick right before the Eagles in the 3rd round and traded down and took MacDonald.

But Ertz is a Bay Area native and the Eageles beat reporter Zach Berman is picking Ertz for his 'stud of the week'

Berman: My stud this week is Zach Ertz. He had only three targets last and has only nine this season. That’s not enough for a player of his caliber. The 49ers have been solid against tight ends this season, although Martellus Bennett caught seven passes. This is a big game for Ertz, who grew up in the Bay Area and played for Harbaugh at Stanford. The loss of Bowman hurts San Francisco in the middle of the field, and I see the Eagles taking advantage of it. There could also a mismatch with rookie Jimmie Ward in the slot.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/The-Inquirers-Eagles-49ers-Predictions.html#xVYf8xq7KCJVTKwK.99

Oh, let this be! Orange Julius is on my bench because of the bye this week. I need a big week from my TE considering my three starting RB's are injured or suspended.

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

Zach Ertz caught four passes for 43 yards in Sunday's Week 4 loss at San Francisco.

Ertz also lost a key fumble and wasn't on the field for the biggest play of the game even though the Eagles were in a "12" package. Volume continues to be a concern as he's now averaging just 4.7 targets per game. It makes Ertz a meager low-end TE1 heading into a matchup with the Rams in Week 5 despite difference-making talent. He's on pace for 52 catches, 880 yards and four touchdowns.

Sep 28 - 8:42 PM

Not sure what to do with Ertz moving forward. Do we hope for things to improve or look for alternatives?

Not sure what to do with Ertz moving forward. Do we hope for things to improve or look for alternatives?
If you have alternatives, looks like its time to use them. I have Donnell on the bench so I'm debating making the switch. But Ertz has that potential. Hopefully Foles and Kelly see that in the film room.

Unfortunately I don't have alternatives right now. Debating picking up a stop-gap off the waiver wire and stashing Ertz on the bench until we see something from him.

hoping Reed gets backs I can start him over Ertz. Neither TE making me feel real confident right now...

H. Miller was just dropped before last week's blowup. Seems his floor is much higher than Ertz right now so that's where I'm going this week.

H. Miller was just dropped before last week's blowup. Seems his floor is much higher than Ertz right now so that's where I'm going this week.
Heath Miller is Big Ben's best friend. Go that route.

Hopefully I started Ertz the only time I need to this season last week when he filled in for Orange Julius.

Yeah bit disappointed in this guy so far. Thinking of picking up Dwayne Allen, he laid en egg week 2 but solid otherwise. Ertz hasn't done anything 2 weeks straight.

Got him in both my money leagues. Pretty disappointed. Got a shot of picking up kelce in one but am going to keep riding him in the other. No better options. The oline has effected shady and ertz the most

Got him in both my money leagues. Pretty disappointed. Got a shot of picking up kelce in one but am going to keep riding him in the other. No better options. The oline has effected shady and ertz the most
Looking a little better tonight -- caught all 3 targets, 1 for a TD, and it's only the 2nd Q.

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz played on 30-of-72 snaps 41.6 percent in Sunday night's blowout of the Giants.

Ertz put his special route-running and agility skills on display during a 3-47-1 performance, but his usage didn't really change. He's played on just 50.1 percent of the snaps over the last four weeks, losing time to far superior blocker Brent Celek. Now averaging just 5.0 targets per game on the season, Ertz will be a low-end TE1 when the Eagles come out of their bye.

Oct 13 - 11:18 AM

Very pleased with how Ertz looked last night in limited playing time. That's the frustration, he does quite a lot with very little, wish they would use him more.

I think he gets better when parts of the oline start coming back. Best is yet to come I think
Yes, maybe when they need Celek's blocking less. Kind of frustrating because you see the upside but I'll take a hot TE down the stretch any day....And I'd take Ertz being used more at the end of the season too.

Zach Ertz played on a season-low 24 snaps in Sunday's win at Houston.

After playing on 67.9 percent of the snaps in the first two weeks of the season, Ertz's role has shrunk dramatically. He's been in on just 40.7 percent of the snaps over the last four games, averaging 5.2 targets during that span. The Eagles have gone three-wide a majority of the time, leaving in-line blocker Brent Celek on the field to help the offensive line. Ertz's unique skill set could help solve the Eagles' red-zone woes, but until Chip Kelly features him more there's only borderline TE1 appeal at best here.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8409/zach-ertz

Zach Ertz played on a season-low 24 snaps in Sunday's win at Houston.

After playing on 67.9 percent of the snaps in the first two weeks of the season, Ertz's role has shrunk dramatically. He's been in on just 40.7 percent of the snaps over the last four games, averaging 5.2 targets during that span. The Eagles have gone three-wide a majority of the time, leaving in-line blocker Brent Celek on the field to help the offensive line. Ertz's unique skill set could help solve the Eagles' red-zone woes, but until Chip Kelly features him more there's only borderline TE1 appeal at best here.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8409/zach-ertz
borderline TE1 appeal? He's not near TE1 levels. He's JAG right now, unless you get lucky and get the TD, worthless.

Started him over Witten yesterday. Witten only got 6 pts. Wishing I had those 6 pts right now.

Do you think Ertz's role in the Philly offense will remain the same (i.e., negligible) with Sanchez under center or is Sanchez likely to rely on Ertz a bit more than Foles did?

* Zach Ertz's blocking: Ertz wants to be a Pro Bowl, record-setting tight end, and he has that ability. But in this run-based offense, Ertz is going to have to become a reliable blocker to get on the field enough for that to happen. He thinks he has made huge strides in this area, said recently it was mainly a media perception that he doesn't block well. He got 24 snaps Sunday out of a possible 83, and Chip Kelly didn't poll the press box on which tight ends to use. It'll be interesting to see the Sanchez effect here, and with other receivers. In every QB change, there are guys whose totals go up and guys whose totals go down
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20141105_BIRDS_AREN_T_HALF_BAD.html

Ertz was barely on the field. Dropped him today for daniels and feel good about it. It's a shame cause he's a good player, but they are not using him. They are going to start running the ball more now too and mathews has leapfrogged him in targets

just_want_2_win said:
Do you think Ertz's role in the Philly offense will remain the same (i.e., negligible) with Sanchez under center or is Sanchez likely to rely on Ertz a bit more than Foles did?
Foles made Ertz with his tendency to challenge defenses deep/over the middle. That's not Sanchez game at all. Maybe he can add a few short catches a game, but I don't think he's a fringe TE1 trying to emerge w/o Foles.

Ertz was barely on the field. Dropped him today for daniels and feel good about it. It's a shame cause he's a good player, but they are not using him. They are going to start running the ball more now too and mathews has leapfrogged him in targets
I made the same move in one of my leagues today. Still like him in dynasty, but time to cut bait in redraft.

Users who are viewing this thread