Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

TE Zach Ertz, PHI

Faust

4 hours ago, Deamon said:

Nah, they've got too many tight ends as it is.

Gotta be some team out there that could use him and take a chance on him reviving his career for a 4th rounder.

I heard his name and the Colts come up.  I don't think he's worth a 4th rounder however.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I heard his name and the Colts come up.  I don't think he's worth a 4th rounder however.

Do you think that ship sailed when they drafted Granson in the 4th, offered 2nd round RFA to Mo Allie Cox and didn’t take the out in Jack Doyle’s contract? 

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Do you think that ship sailed when they drafted Granson in the 4th, offered 2nd round RFA to Mo Allie Cox and didn’t take the out in Jack Doyle’s contract? 

Perhaps, but I don't think Granson has much impact on their decision.

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Perhaps, but I don't think Granson has much impact on their decision.

Fair, their off-season actions just didn’t seem like a team prepared to trade for a TE.

They do have a 4th TE on the team now but I don’t know much about him. Is he primarily a blocker? 

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Fair, their off-season actions just didn’t seem like a team prepared to trade for a TE.

They do have a 4th TE on the team now but I don’t know much about him. Is he primarily a blocker? 

Really it doesn't matter who the 4th TE is because IMO all of the Colts TEs are irrelevant.  Hopefully Granson shows something and Alle-Cox is developing and could take another step forward, but I'm skeptical. 

Just now, JohnnyU said:

Really it doesn't matter who the 4th TE is because IMO all of the Colts TEs are irrelevant.  Hopefully Granson shows something and Alle-Cox is developing and could take another step forward, but I'm skeptical. 

Why not send a late pick to give your new QB his security blanket? - it's not like the Colts are loaded at WR or TE.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Why not send a late pick to give your new QB his security blanket? - it's not like the Colts are loaded at WR or TE.

I agree.  They still need WRs, but having Campbell back and continued development of Pittman, they may be fine.  Hilton is done IMO, but I hope I'm wrong..  I just don't think Ertz is worth a 4th round pick at this point.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

One of things that may have hurt Wentz last year was that his security blanket is more like a security rag at this point. 

23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

One of things that may have hurt Wentz last year was that his security blanket is more like a security rag at this point. 

Ertz is only 30 and was far from being the problem with Wentz last season. 

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Ertz is only 30 and was far from being the problem with Wentz last season. 

Agree, I also agree that the Colts shouldn't send a 4th for him, he's likely to get cut after June 1st.

43 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Agree, I also agree that the Colts shouldn't send a 4th for him, he's likely to get cut after June 1st.

50/50 on if they cut him.  I can't see them giving him away for nothing.  I would think Indy might offer a 7th that could turn into a 5th or something.

I thought he looked shot last year but I didn’t see enough of him to make a fair call. I’m sure you all watched much more. 

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

@need2know what are your thoughts on Ertz? I’m sure you watched most of the Eagles last year. Is he still in his prime or did he look like he was fading?

There’s a difference between being in his prime (no one said that) and being useless or even a detriment.

51 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

@need2know what are your thoughts on Ertz? I’m sure you watched most of the Eagles last year. Is he still in his prime or did he look like he was fading?

hes done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

There’s a difference between being in his prime (no one said that) and being useless or even a detriment.

I was trying to not tilt him to saying he sucked and leaning it in a more positive light but I guess it didn’t work. He thinks Ertz is cooked. Maybe other Eagles fans feel different.

• 2 weeks later...

NJ.com's Mike Kaye said the Chargers would make an "ideal" landing spot for Eagles TE Zach Ertz. 

Ertz didn't attend Philadelphia's voluntary offseason workouts last week, and will almost certainly play elsewhere in 2021. Kaye deemed the Chargers an ideal trading partner for the Eagles because it would send Ertz to the AFC and to his home state of California. Kaye said the Eagles could probably get a late-round draft pick in exchange for Ertz, 30, whose 2021 cap hit is $12.72 million. LA has almost $20 million in cap space. Ertz ending up with the Bolts would sink Jared Cook's and Donald Parham's 2021 fantasy prospects. Dallas Goedert would likely see an uptick in targets with Ertz gone. The Eagles play the Chargers in Week 9. 

RELATED: 

Jared Cook

, Dallas Goedert

, Donald Parham

, Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: NJ.com

May 31, 2021, 9:25 AM ET

4 hours ago, Faust said:

For a late pick, maybe. But cook is probably not much less of a receiver than ertz right now.

24 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

For a late pick, maybe. But cook is probably not much less of a receiver than ertz right now.

Yeah, I was wondering that. Unless Jared Cook declined the later half of last year, he didn't look too bad for a receiving TE. They've also got McKitty and Parham, two admittedly young guys who might not be ready. Unless they're planning on cornering the market on TEs, Ertz doesn't make a ton of sense for them other than for depth. Which, if the Chargers think they're a win-now team, then...I guess?

37 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, I was wondering that. Unless Jared Cook declined the later half of last year, he didn't look too bad for a receiving TE. They've also got McKitty and Parham, two admittedly young guys who might not be ready. Unless they're planning on cornering the market on TEs, Ertz doesn't make a ton of sense for them other than for depth. Which, if the Chargers think they're a win-now team, then...I guess?

They also have Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, and ekeler is a good receiving back. I get trying to get your young stud QB more tools but Ertz isn't needed. He'd fit better on other teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -OZ- said:

They also have Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, and ekeler is a good receiving back. I get trying to get your young stud QB more tools but Ertz isn't needed. He'd fit better on other teams.

I would guess they'd be more in the running for a Julio Jones with that cap room and lack of depth at receiver.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Chargers don't have $20M in functionally available cap space, it's more like $13M. The $20M figure that gets cited regularly only accounts for 51 roster spots, not 53, and it does not account for paying the practice squad or for reserving money for in season injury replacements.

More importantly, the Chargers biggest areas of need are all on defense, in roughly this order:

1. Safety - the only one they have who is proven is James, who has missed 27 games in the past 2 seasons due to injury
  2. Interior DL - it was a weakness last season, and they did not meaningfully address it yet this offseason
  3. Cornerback - their depth is weak; it will be a problem if Davis, Harris, and/or Samuel miss games
  4. Pass rush - the only proven pass rusher they have is Bosa

Heck, they need OL depth more than they need to add another target like Ertz or Julio.

Someone mentioned that their WR depth is weak, but it isn't. Guyton and Johnson both flashed last year, and the team used its first 3rd round pick on WR Josh Palmer in this year's draft. They also drafted 2 other WRs in last year's draft. Not all of these guys will make the final roster.

As a Chargers fan, I would grudgingly accept the team acquiring Jones, though I don't think they should. I would be unhappy with the team if it acquires Ertz.

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 2

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "at least three" teams are interesting in trading for Eagles TE Zach Ertz. 

Fowler said trade talks for Ertz could pick up this week, and that the Eagles wouldn't part with the 30-year-old tight end "for nothing in return." Fowler described the interested trade partners as "tight end needy" teams, which could mean the Bills, Jaguars, Cardinals, Bengals, Chargers, or Panthers. Ertz, who recorded at least 75 receptions every season from 2015 to 2019, did not attend Philadelphia's voluntary offseason workouts last week. His departure would lead to a target bump for Dallas Goedert. Ertz as Buffalo's primary pass-catching tight end would be intriguing for fantasy purposes. Last year, Bills tight ends were largely phased out of the team's rampaging passing attack. That would likely change if the Bills acquired Ertz.

RELATED: 

Dallas Goedert

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Jun 1, 2021, 9:43 AM ET

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eagles sideline reporter Howard Eskin "hears there is a great chance" Zach Ertz remains with the team to start the season.

Per Eskin, Ertz is "over the issues" he had with the team after it was reported he wanted a contract extension this offseason as he heads into the final year of his deal. But coming off a terrible year and now 30 years old, an extension just wasn't going to happen. Ertz was given permission to seek a trade over the winter, but nothing came of it. He's probably realized it's best to play out the final year of his deal and collect his $8.5 million while trying to rebound from the down 2020 ahead of a run at the open market next offseason. With Ertz now looking at a return to the team, it dings Dallas Goedert's stock a bit.

SOURCE: Howard Eskin on Twitter

Jul 21, 2021, 2:33 PM ET

18 hours ago, starks said:

Dang worst case scenario for owners. 

We'll see. The dynamics suggest this report is to be interpreted "Yes, you other NFL teams will need to trade for him because he's not being released." Which may or may not be true.

• Like 1

Zach Ertz reported to Eagles training camp on Tuesday. 

Ertz was probably never going to hold out because of the collective-bargaining agreement's extremely punitive fines, but it had been possible both sides would come to an accommodation as they wait on a potential trade. The problem for both seems to be that Ertz's value crashed as he gutted through 2020 at less than 100 percent and looked every bit his 30 years. There is still a chance, and probably a good one, that Ertz is dealt ahead of Week 1. For now, this is both sides' best option. Ertz should be considered a low-end TE2 until/if he finds a new home. 

SOURCE: Jeff McLane on Twitter 

Jul 27, 2021, 2:57 PM ET

On 7/22/2021 at 10:46 AM, BigJim® said:

We'll see. The dynamics suggest this report is to be interpreted "Yes, you other NFL teams will need to trade for him because he's not being released." Which may or may not be true.

I hope they trade him.

Sincerely,

Goedert owner

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helaire-ious said:

I hope they trade him.

Sincerely,

Goedert owner

As an Ertz owner, I’m praying he’s not being held to trade as a component in a Watson trade.

13 hours ago, Terpman22 said:

As an owner of both on the same team. A trade is ideal.

As an Eagles fan, Love having Zach back if he truly is coming back. 

I'm not sure what Ertz has left in the tank at this point, but I can see him blocking other TEs like Jason Witten did his waning years.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:31 AM, JohnnyU said:

I'm not sure what Ertz has left in the tank at this point, but I can see him blocking other TEs like Jason Witten did his waning years.

Erzt is 30 - Witten didn’t start fading away until about 34 if I recall.

• Like 1

The clear leader between Mailata and Dillard in Roob’s observations

Excerpt:

Zach Ertz has actually looked great so far. He seems miserable, but he’s practicing at a high level. Assuming Howie Roseman is still trying to trade him, it’s quite a risk having him out there every day carrying an $8.5 million salary. But the flip side of that is that Ertz could improve his draft stock with a good camp. What does that mean? If a team gets a TE hurt maybe they’re willing to part with a 5th-round pick for Ertz? Unless the Eagles intend to keep Ertz – which I still don’t believe – Roseman is playing with fire. Is it really worth risking an injury to Ertz for the chance at a Day 3 pick? The best solution for everybody is for the Eagles to keep Ertz. But it doesn’t seem like we’re headed for that. The sooner this gets resolved, the better it is for everybody. But credit to Ertz for handling this professionally and not simply going through the motions at practice.

• 4 weeks later...

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

On Zach Ertz: “He’s still in Philadelphia and has been a heavy part of the offense during Training Camp. In fact, Goedert and Ertz have been the 2 most targeted players. If he’s on the team, he’s going to play. If he’s on the field, he’s going to get open”

https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1431233989432520711?s=21

• 2 weeks later...

Zach Ertz caught 2-of-2 targets for 34 yards in Philadelphia's Week 1 win over Atlanta. 

Ertz finished clearly outside of the main circle of Jalen Hurts trust in a balanced attack. The fact that Ertz was able to stay on the field for 61% of the snaps is a boon for his outlook, but he's not guaranteed a large target share going forward. Perhaps different game plans will get him more involved, but Ertz remains more of a TE2 than the Ertz who used to help you win fantasy leagues in the late-2010s.

• Faust changed the title to TE Zach Ertz, Eagles

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said the team is "still evaluating" Zach Ertz (hamstring) but his brief exit in Week 1 was purely precautionary.

Ertz should be fine as Sirianni noted that he was encouraged by Ertz's ability to return after a short stay on the sidelines in Week 1. Expect to see Ertz on the field for at least half of Philly's snaps in Week 2. He earned a 61 percent snap share in the Eagles' opener but saw just two targets. Ertz is on the radar as a TE2 but his lack of targets in Week 1 should lead fantasy managers to take a cautious approach with him.

SOURCE: Eliot Shorr-Parks on Twitter

Sep 13, 2021, 3:11 PM ET

Eagles TE Zach Ertz (hamstring) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Ertz was available after being sidelined briefly from his soft tissue injury against the Falcons in Week 1, so this could be nothing more than mid-week maintenance for the 30-year-old veteran. If ruled out, note that Dallas Goedert ran a route on 89% of Philadelphia's dropbacks (albeit with a different coaching staff) in four games without Ertz last year.

SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter

Sep 15, 2021, 1:54 PM ET

Zach Ertz (hamstring) wasn't listed on the final injury report and will play Week 2 against the 49ers.

Ertz practiced fully Friday after missing time Wednesday and Thursday. It sounded more like veteran rest than anything. Ertz was out-snapped 73% to 58% by Dallas Goedert in the opener and saw just two targets to Goedert's five while Goedert also scored a touchdown. Ertz is more of a back-end TE2 for fantasy.

Sep 17, 2021, 2:53 PM ET

• Faust changed the title to TE Zach Ertz, PHI

Eagles placed TE Zach Ertz on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Ertz's 2021 has gone from bad to worse as he's now in jeopardy of missing the Eagles' Week 3 matchup with the Cowboys. He spent the offseason looking for a team who would trade for him, only to find no interested parties. Through two games, Ertz has just four targets. Expect Dallas Goedert to take on a larger role if Ertz is absent this week. With no competition for playing time, Goedert would be locked in as a TE1. 

Sep 20, 2021, 4:42 PM ET