Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Finding a lost dog

Buckfast 1

My brother's dog Molly somehow got out of his backyard today and has been lost for about 6 hours in the city of Denver. We are searching all over the streets calling her name, but have been unable to find her. We called the animal control shelters, notified the Denver police to be on lookout for his dog, and posted ads on Craigslist with her picture. Tomorrow, we are going to print a ton of flyers and distribute them across the city on telephone poles and grocery store bulletin boards.

Any other ideas of ways to look for a lost dog in a city? My brother will be devastated if something bad happens to Molly.

Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ### out there and you find that ####### dog.

Mrs SB is a member of some kind of community Facebook group where people can post that they lost pets and get help from people in the area. We found some guy's dogs a few months ago and he was able to get them back from that site. :shrug:

My brother's dog Molly somehow got out of his backyard today and has been lost for about 6 hours in the city of Denver. We are searching all over the streets calling her name, but have been unable to find her. We called the animal control shelters, notified the Denver police to be on lookout for his dog, and posted ads on Craigslist with her picture. Tomorrow, we are going to print a ton of flyers and distribute them across the city on telephone poles and grocery store bulletin boards.

Any other ideas of ways to look for a lost dog in a city? My brother will be devastated if something bad happens to Molly.

my wife is nuts with this stuff, and when i asked her she literally yelled at me "tell him to go to the dog shelter". also supposed to ask if she has her collar on or has been micro-chipped. but "most importantly go to the shelter and don't just call".

Thank you so much. We will start posting on these websites.

No further developments. We have driven all over with no signs of her. My brother recently replaced her collar, but her new collar did not have any identifying contact information on it. So, if someone found her and took her in, they would have no way to contact my brother. We will have to canvass the entire city of Denver with lost dog posters and contact information tomorrow. We are just hoping that she is safe somewhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

No further developments. We have driven all over with no signs of her. My brother recently replaced her collar, but her new collar did not have any identifying contact information on it. So, if someone found her and took her in, they would have no way to contact my brother.

Is she microchipped? I know how upsetting it is when a pet disappears. I hope Molly will be home safe and sound today.

No further developments. We have driven all over with no signs of her. My brother recently replaced her collar, but her new collar did not have any identifying contact information on it. So, if someone found her and took her in, they would have no way to contact my brother.

Is she microchipped? I know how upsetting it is when a pet disappears. I hope Molly will be home safe and sound today.

She is microchipped. Do you know exactly how the microchip works? Is there some organization we can call to help us locate her with the microchip? My brother does not know anything about how the microchip works and does not think that his current contact information is listed on file in relation to the microchip, but we are planning on trying to look more into that route today.

I think if a dog is found with a microchip they call the place that did the chipping and tell them about the lost dog. Hopefully they have your brother's contact information. Then again, losing a dog on a weekend and a national Holiday may mean they are closed. I'd keep calling all of the various shelters to stay on top of things.

She is microchipped. Do you know exactly how the microchip works? Is there some organization we can call to help us locate her with the microchip? My brother does not know anything about how the microchip works and does not think that his current contact information is listed on file in relation to the microchip, but we are planning on trying to look more into that route today.

The microchip is a little RFID device. No GPS type tracking. The info contained on it can be scanned with a handlheld scanner and once the info is retrieved the person doing the scan can contact the chip manufacturer/distributor who will hopefully have current contact info. If your brother knows the chip info he might be able to contact the company to let them know the dog is lost in case someone reports the ID.

The microchip is a little RFID device. No GPS type tracking. The info contained on it can be scanned with a handlheld scanner and once the info is retrieved the person doing the scan can contact the chip manufacturer/distributor who will hopefully have current contact info. If your brother knows the chip info he might be able to contact the company to let them know the dog is lost in case someone reports the ID.

We spoke with the microchip people today and got all of my brother's contact information updated and his dog reported as lost. The shelters are mostly closed today, so we're hoping maybe someone will bring him in tomorrow.

We have put flyers all over the northeast side of Denver at businesses, stop signs, and various parks. We have recruiting a pretty good-sized street team of kids on bikes who are looking for Molly. It's been frustrating because it seems like nearly every kid in the neighborhood claims to have seen Molly, but of course no adults ever see her. Do kids just make stuff up like that?

We're hoping that someone currently has Molly at her house, but has not been able to contact us due to the fact that she was not wearing tags and the shelter has been closed.

this is the correct answer. We lost our dog two weekends ago and got her back a week later after posting on a local FB page for lost and found pets. The success rate of these online communities is unmatched with anything else I'm convinced.

you check lost+found on CL?

Yeah, I've been monitoring Craigslist lost and found all day. No matches yet.

I would contact the local news also. Sometimes people won't give a dog back, because they think an irresponsible owner caused it to be lost. Putting a pic on the news gets more viewers, and sometimes people will call and say they have seen so and so with the dog.

Where in Northeast Denver?

Mine got out during a thunder storm - someone was cool enough to take him to a vet - who took him to City Bark. I put up a notice on Craigslist and someone from City Bark gave me a call - can't tell you how relieved I was.

We visited all the shelters and and City Pound - just got to keep at it

Go to Dumb Friends as well

YEEEEESSSS!!! I got a call from someone who saw one of my Craiglist ads after a dog followed them home on a walk. The address of the person who found Molly was only five blocks from my house. She was in the same area that we had been searching all day long. There were at least three flyers that we posted today within a block radius of the person's house who ultimately found her.

The drive over to her house was filled with euphoric yelling and the greatest sense of relief I've ever felt. I was so scared that we were never going to see my brother's dog again. We were both so relieved after spending two days looking down every street and alley hoping to see Molly running our direction but dreading that we might instead see her limp corpse.

When we arrived at the house, we noticed Molly had a four inch string of pink twine hanging from her collar. Someone had apparently tied Molly up in their backyard using pink thread, but she somehow broke it and escaped. I think she must have heard us screaming her name across the neighborhood all day, and she was finally able to break the thread and get away.

I feel so lucky that we found her. Thank you for all of the recommendations. We followed everything that was recommended by you guys. What a relief! Thank you for the help.

YEEEEESSSS!!! I got a call from someone who saw one of my Craiglist ads after a dog followed them home on a walk. The address of the person who found Molly was only five blocks from my house. She was in the same area that we had been searching all day long. There were at least three flyers that we posted today within a block radius of the person's house who ultimately found her.

The drive over to her house was filled with euphoric yelling and the greatest sense of relief I've ever felt. I was so scared that we were never going to see my brother's dog again. We were both so relieved after spending two days looking down every street and alley hoping to see Molly running our direction but dreading that we might instead see her limp corpse.

When we arrived at the house, we noticed Molly had a four inch string of pink twine hanging from her collar. Someone had apparently tied Molly up in their backyard using pink thread, but she somehow broke it and escaped. I think she must have heard us screaming her name across the neighborhood all day, and she was finally able to break the thread and get away.

I feel so lucky that we found her. Thank you for all of the recommendations. We followed everything that was recommended by you guys. What a relief! Thank you for the help.

:thumbup:

Mine got out during a thunder storm - someone was cool enough to take him to a vet - who took him to City Bark. I put up a notice on Craigslist and someone from City Bark gave me a call - can't tell you how relieved I was.

We spread fliers from Colorado Avenue on the west, to I-70 on the north, to Quebec Avenue on the east to Colfax on the south. We basically hit the entirety of the Park Hill neighborhoods.

Wait so if she was tied up, are you suspecting she was stolen? If so, I hope you watch her anytime she's back in the yard.

Stolen by someone who used breakable bright pink string to tie up the dog.

All the local 8 year old and under girls are being brought in for questioning.

We spread fliers from Colorado Avenue on the west, to I-70 on the north, to Quebec Avenue on the east to Colfax on the south. We basically hit the entirety of the Park Hill neighborhoods.

Glad you found the pooch!

P.S. did you collect the flyers yet?

Wait so if she was tied up, are you suspecting she was stolen? If so, I hope you watch her anytime she's back in the yard.

A person may have tied her up to keep her there until the shelter opened.

Yeah, we're not sure if the person who tied her up with the pink string was intending to keep her or just to hold her until the shelter opened in the morning.

The second people who found her were able to contact me within a few minutes by looking online. So, the first people didn't do much to track down the owner, although it's certainly possible that they didn't have a computer/Internet at home and may not have seen the fliers yet.

Now get tags on her and register her chip!

The first thing we are doing today is going to get her some new tags. I couldn't believe my brother didn't have any tags on her, but he apparently bought her a new collar in August and never switched her tags over.

We at least got all of her microchip information registered and updated yesterday.

Glad you found the pooch!

P.S. did you collect the flyers yet?

We have not collected the flyers yet, but I was thinking we should probably try to grab as many as possible. I don't want someone stealing Molly out of my brother's backyard thinking they are saving a lost dog. The idea of retracing all of our steps over a period of like 8 hours sounds awful, though.

Now get tags on her and register her chip!

The first thing we are doing today is going to get her some new tags. I couldn't believe my brother didn't have any tags on her, but he apparently bought her a new collar in August and never switched her tags over.

We at least got all of her microchip information registered and updated yesterday.

My dogs don't wear collars, and in turn no tags, since one got the collar of another stuck in her mouth and almost strangled him.

Archived