What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (6 Viewers)

Bill O'Brien. I was going to write this up, but someone already did it for me:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/9/17838278/rob-gronkowski-catch-no-catch-tom-brady-patriots-texans-nfl

The replay officials dropped the ball on that one, but so did BOB. 

For those that don't want to click the link, the TL;DR is Gronk bobbled the hell out of a catch inside the 2 minute warning. It was not a catch and everyone at home could see that. However, the replay officials elected not to challenge it and BOB elected not to burn one of three timeouts (that he wasn't going to use anyway) to stop the clock to allow them time to think about reviewing the play. Good job, BOB.

Also, the Texans suck for doubling Gronk and still letting him own them.

Bill O'Brien. I was going to write this up, but someone already did it for me:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/9/17838278/rob-gronkowski-catch-no-catch-tom-brady-patriots-texans-nfl

The replay officials dropped the ball on that one, but so did BOB. 

For those that don't want to click the link, the TL;DR is Gronk bobbled the hell out of a catch inside the 2 minute warning. It was not a catch and everyone at home could see that. However, the replay officials elected not to challenge it and BOB elected not to burn one of three timeouts (that he wasn't going to use anyway) to stop the clock to allow them time to think about reviewing the play. Good job, BOB.

Also, the Texans suck for doubling Gronk and still letting him own them.
And after the game, O'Brien basically, "That's not my job."

Uh, actually, game management IS the head coach's job, the last time I checked.  What a dumb ###. 

And after the game, O'Brien basically, "That's not my job."

Uh, actually, game management IS the head coach's job, the last time I checked.  What a dumb ###. 
https://deadspin.com/its-not-my-job-says-bill-obrien-of-thing-that-is-his-1828933246

When asked about the sequence after the game by the Houston Chronicle’s John McClain, and why he didn’t call a timeout to give officials time to start the review, O’Brien got pissy.

“It’s not my job to do that,” O’Brien said. And then, again: “It’s not my job to call a timeout to make their [the officials’] job easier.” Except, yes. It 100 percent is. Any coach in this league worth his salt knows this, and calls that timeout. It is a situation that crops up pretty frequently—there’s a reason the Patriots were hustling to get the next play off—and coaches know they must make the decision on whether burning a timeout is worth the reward. It almost certainly would have been here.

The non-timeout almost—almost—overshadowed O’Brien’s questionable decisions in the second half, like choosing to go for it on fourth and 5 at the Patriots’ 17, when down 15 points with 10 minutes still left in the third quarter. Or choosing to punt from his own 36 when down 14 points with 4:41 left in the game.

Or, worst of all, somehow managing to make a six-play drive last 2:24, at a time the Texans were down two scores with four minutes and change left. O’Brien is calling the offensive plays again this season, so any lack of urgency on that drive is his responsibility. The Texans would score to make it a seven-point game, and would get the ball back, but with not enough time to even advance beyond midfield.

O'Brien is horrible.
He's an idiot.

One of my pet peeves, because Cal lost a game under Tedford with the same horrible decision. Fourth and 1, in field goal range, up by 3, time running down, other team’s out of time outs.

Your choice is to get one yard and win the game immediately, or kick a FG and give the ball back to Aaron Rodgers with him down by 6.
Honestly I’m not sure anyone will top this all year. 

Circumstances are one thing, but context seems critical here as well to truly highlight the stupidity. 

1. Bears we’re able to love the ball - GB D was pretty gassed after that drive, Cohen was able to pop 3-5 at a time on screens & Jordan was pushing the pile. I have zero doubt that the Bears can get 1 yard there. 99.9999999% certain they get a yard. And if they don’t, it’s virtually the same outcome.

2. They went for it on 4th and 3 at their own 37 in the 1st half, up 17. They got it, but it seemed like a completely  unnecessary and highly risky decision in that situation. But then with the game on the line, where a conversion ices the game & keeps the best QB in the game off the field, they kick a FG?  :shock:

it’s just mind-blowingly awful coaching. It’s illogical in every aspect and in context seems literally insane. 

I would love to interview whomever was responsible for that decision & then apply mid-evil torture techniques until they actually admitted that they just didn’t know what they were doing.

I’m not even a Bears fan or Packers hater - I just detest the idiocy of that decision  sooooo much. 

I would have thought that there would be some sort of tell in the formation. And you'd think the coaches might have primed them to look for it. But I suppose you're right that it wasn't "obviously" stupid.
It wasn't quite the same play and it was run from a different formation with different motion.  In the Superbowl the ball was snapped directly to the back while Foles was pretending to make line calls.  On Thursday the ball was snapped to Foles and he pitched it.  The second version was more like the play the Pats misfired on in the SB

Honestly I’m not sure anyone will top this all year. 

Circumstances are one thing, but context seems critical here as well to truly highlight the stupidity. 

1. Bears we’re able to love the ball - GB D was pretty gassed after that drive, Cohen was able to pop 3-5 at a time on screens & Jordan was pushing the pile. I have zero doubt that the Bears can get 1 yard there. 99.9999999% certain they get a yard. And if they don’t, it’s virtually the same outcome.

2. They went for it on 4th and 3 at their own 37 in the 1st half, up 17. They got it, but it seemed like a completely  unnecessary and highly risky decision in that situation. But then with the game on the line, where a conversion ices the game & keeps the best QB in the game off the field, they kick a FG?  :shock:

it’s just mind-blowingly awful coaching. It’s illogical in every aspect and in context seems literally insane. 

I would love to interview whomever was responsible for that decision & then apply mid-evil torture techniques until they actually admitted that they just didn’t know what they were doing.

I’m not even a Bears fan or Packers hater - I just detest the idiocy of that decision  sooooo much. 
I came here to post the same one, but hadn’t put as much thought into it.

I was wondering why they let Trubisky pass on 3rd and 1 when Howard and Cohen were running well on that drive.

2. They went for it on 4th and 3 at their own 37 in the 1st half, up 17.
I don't remember this. They did go for it on 4th and 4 from Green Bay's 37 (and failed), but that's a very standard place to go for it when you don't trust your kicker to hit the 54-yard FG and you don't want to settle for a 25 yard punt.

I don't remember this. They did go for it on 4th and 4 from Green Bay's 37 (and failed), but that's a very standard place to go for it when you don't trust your kicker to hit the 54-yard FG and you don't want to settle for a 25 yard punt.
I thought it was on their own side of the field. 

Mhmm... :shrug: I was drinking a few beers at that time… Certainly possible I am mistaken. 

Can we talk Raiders for a second?

First, Rams -3 completes the 4th game of a $50 parlay (made with house money from blackjack) so no complaints about the results. 

That said, it seemed like the Raiders game out with a terrific plan: 

run the ball. Beast mode. Limit the mistakes with safe passes. 

And man did they look good, too! Beast took a whole pile across that stripe!

they were bruising - now up 10. Game plan working!

then the Rams tied it & the Raiders started playing like they were down 17 instead it up by 3. 

They got away from the run - Lynch was MIA. It became the David Carr show. And that Ish worked too, marching right down the field for an oh crap they finally put a DB on Cook instead of a LB interception. :doh:  

at that point they were still so totally in that game. Even after the Rams tied it. 

But they got so far out over their skis they just couldn’t get back to what was working. 

Mom not sure this qualifies for this toooc since it was such a team effort, but I have to question Gruden’s philosophy here at least a little...it’s the classic, “hey, you know that running the ball thing we were doing so well in the 1st quarter on the 1st drive? Let’s never, ever do that again.” 

Head scratcher. 

They got away from the run - Lynch was MIA.
Game plan coming into the game for sure was to try and get Richard matched up on LB's in passing game but Lynch was likely slated to play more if he was up to it but Gruden said Lynch got ill.

Someone on the Rams said that the Raiders were tough to defend in early going because they had no film on them. Then they adjusted and would appear Gruden failed to counter.

They got away from the run - Lynch was MIA. It became the David Carr show. And that Ish worked too, marching right down the field for an oh crap they finally put a DB on Cook instead of a LB interception. :doh:  
Is it just me, or are people making that mistake more frequently as of late? I have this theory that the worse he plays, the more likely we are to call him David. I don't remember lots of people doing it two years ago.

Is it just me, or are people making that mistake more frequently as of late? I have this theory that the worse he plays, the more likely we are to call him David.
I'm pretty sure he called him that on purpose .

But I have to admit, I still occasionally call him that on accident.

Man am I glad I don't own a single raider this year anywhere.

TZM

TZM
Yeah you're probably right about HSG. But i still stand by my general point. Similarly, I can't remember the last time I heard St. Louis Rams, but I still hear San Diego Chargers a lot. Maybe just because they've been in LA a year longer, but I also think it has something to do with them being good and establishing a team identity under McVay.

That Bears-Packers ending reminded me a little of a similar situation with Giants-Cowboys on the SNF opener a few years ago. There was less time on the clock in that situation, and the main criticism was for Eli throwing the ball away on 3rd down when he could have just taken the sack and wasted more time without significantly impacting the FG attempt. Still, I remember at the time one of the questions was whether going up 6 in that situation is actually worse, because when a team is down 3 the opposing team tends to play for the tying FG, whereas when they're down 6 they know they need a TD.

Still, this is one of those situations where you don't even need quantitative evidence to tell you the "obvious" call. Because basic logic should tell you that YOU DO NOT GIVE THE BALL BACK TO AARON RODGERS WITH A CHANCE TO WIN THE GAME. Kicking the FG, not kicking the FG, that's not important. Bears had two plays to go one yard, and if they convert they are almost certain to either run out the clock or only have to give it back with a few seconds left.* That should have been the priority.

If there's a better illustration of NFL coaches' innate conservatism and focus on loss aversion, I don't know what it is.

* To be fair, that would have just set Rodgers up for another Hail Mary

Is it just me, or are people making that mistake more frequently as of late? I have this theory that the worse he plays, the more likely we are to call him David. I don't remember lots of people doing it two years ago.
lmao - I didn’t even catch myself doing that.

There’s definitely a comparison at this point - Derrick had absorbed more than his share of hits...not like “early years Texans OL” number of hits but he may be a little happy footed after getting his back broken & from all the knock downs and pressures. 

TZM
Nope - complete accident. It was late, I was tired. But it’s not a terrible comparison after MNF. 

Post here when coaches do something obviously stupid:

Matt Patricia ... for taking a head coaching job.

Silver lining is that the Patriots defense is better off without him.

Bears throwing in 3rd and 1 multiple times instead of running it to end the game. 
That last one drove me absolutely nuts. And not just because I own Howard and was playing Rodgers. (lost by 2)

They ran for 4 and 5 yards respectively on 1st and 2nd down. And on 3rd down? Not only did they NOT run the ball, they split Cohen out wide and had an empty backfield.

How do you not even PRETEND you might run the ball on 3rd and 1 with the lead?

Pats sustained success isn’t due to Bill and Brady. It’s been all the assistant coaches over the years. 

Pats sustained success isn’t due to Bill and Brady. It’s been all the assistant coaches over the years. 
That's a difficult argument to make when none (I can't think of any, so if I missed someone I will amend to "most") of them have done nothing away from NE.

That last one drove me absolutely nuts. And not just because I own Howard and was playing Rodgers. (lost by 2)

They ran for 4 and 5 yards respectively on 1st and 2nd down. And on 3rd down? Not only did they NOT run the ball, they split Cohen out wide and had an empty backfield.

It's like groundhog day every year in Chicago. 

Yep, that was the dumbest thing I saw all week and someone's going to have to work hard to top it

I'm seeing this more and more when teams have 3rd and reasonable ...

empty backfield, no threat of a run. LB's can fall back into coverage ... or pin ears and get after the QB.

Drives me nuts.

Josh McDaniels opted out of the Colts head coaching gig this year. He realized that he has it good where he is ... why screw it up like Patricia did?

Terrible clock management by the Ravens tonight. Almost no sense of urgency at the end of the game. Did Jay Cutler's ghost take possession of Joe Flacco's body??

Trailing by 11, they needed to score, then recover an onside kick, then score again.

Yet there they were with a minute to play and they're doing checkdowns to the middle of the field. It's like they weren't even trying to score.

They get to the 29-yard-line with 0:37 on the clock. Time to kick a field goal or take a shot at the endzone, right? Nope, not the Ravens!

3rd & 1 at CIN 29

(0:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short right to M.Williams to CIN 25 for 4 yards (D.Dennard).

I've been harping on this since almost the beginning of the thread, but if you're down 14 in the fourth and score a TD, the numbers overwhelmingly favor going for two. Steelers were in that situation twice today and kicked both times.
Another season, another opportunity for me to beat this hobby horse again. Browns were down 21-7, scored a TD with 7:32 to go in game, and kicked the XP. Not that I'd expect Mr. 1-31-1 to finally be the one coach who does the smart thing and goes for two in that situation ...

Terrible clock management by the Ravens tonight. Almost no sense of urgency at the end of the game. Did Jay Cutler's ghost take possession of Joe Flacco's body??

Trailing by 11, they needed to score, then recover an onside kick, then score again.

Yet there they were with a minute to play and they're doing checkdowns to the middle of the field. It's like they weren't even trying to score.

They get to the 29-yard-line with 0:37 on the clock. Time to kick a field goal or take a shot at the endzone, right? Nope, not the Ravens!

3rd & 1 at CIN 29

(0:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short right to M.Williams to CIN 25 for 4 yards (D.Dennard).
Flacco spiked the ball on 3rd and 6 at the Cinci 25 with 0:08 on the clock. On 4th and 6, the team goes for a crossing pattern short of the end zone, maybe for a lateral play? The only chance of winning was kick the field goal, burning 5-6 seconds. ;Kick onside (no time runs off on a recovered onside kick), and throw the hail mary. Absolutely terrible coaching, and with multiple chances to do the right thing.

To be fair though, Harbaugh looked pretty pissed off about it.

May have been bad execution elsewhere, maybe...
Agreed, but as the head coach, he should have communicated that with his QB before the drive. "Hey, as soon as we get in FG range, we are gonna kick it, so look to me for the signal for when we will kick." 

3rd & 1 at CIN 29

I saw that happened and told my (confused) girlfriend, "That's a game losing play."

Just terrible. Inexcusable. Harbaugh should be read the riot act by GM and Owner. A seasoned SB-winning coach at that level needs to understand how to manage the most fundamental of game-ending situations.

I saw that happened and told my (confused) girlfriend, "That's a game losing play."

Just terrible. Inexcusable. Harbaugh should be read the riot act by GM and Owner. A seasoned SB-winning coach at that level needs to understand how to manage the most fundamental of game-ending situations.
Did you see the end of the ATL vs PHI game?

Matt Ryan was playing for a Special Olympics football team when he took 2 sacks on the final drive, costing valuable seconds and field position.

... and on 4th and goal, sails one out the back of the endzone to avoid a sack. ON 4TH DOWN!

Bailed out by a defensive penalty, with a couple of seconds left on the clock, last play of the game, Ryan proceeds to throw another ball that JJ could not catch in bounds.

Ryan is to blame but some fault needs to fall on the coach for not driving home the fact that "can NOT take a sack here!" ... and "4th down ... need to give your WR a chance even if he's not open".

Other QB's get it and maybe it's their coaching before each drive / play  ... or maybe their just situationally aware. You'd think after 10 years in the league this would be infused by now.

Did you see the end of the ATL vs PHI game?

Matt Ryan was playing for a Special Olympics football team when he took 2 sacks on the final drive, costing valuable seconds and field position.

... and on 4th and goal, sails one out the back of the endzone to avoid a sack. ON 4TH DOWN!

Bailed out by a defensive penalty, with a couple of seconds left on the clock, last play of the game, Ryan proceeds to throw another ball that JJ could not catch in bounds.

Ryan is to blame but some fault needs to fall on the coach for not driving home the fact that "can NOT take a sack here!" ... and "4th down ... need to give your WR a chance even if he's not open".

Other QB's get it and maybe it's their coaching before each drive / play  ... or maybe their just situationally aware. You'd think after 10 years in the league this would be infused by now.
Coaches have historically gone for it so rarely on 4th down that I'm sure most teams, and QBs, don't take nearly the amount of practice reps that they should with that mindset. It's no different than training a hitter to change his swing philosophy with two strikes - except the latter situation arises dozens of times each ballgame, so the mindset is already ingrained in everyone's head, whereas a QBs first, second, and third instinct since age 8 has been to throw the ball away to avoid a sack.

I'd bet you any amount of money that the two teams that run through specific situational play-calls most often in practice are the Pats and Eagles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coaches have historically gone for it so rarely on 4th down that I'm sure most teams, and QBs, don't take nearly the amount of practice reps that they should with that mindset. It's no different than training a hitter to change his swing philosophy with two strike - except the latter situation arises dozens of times each ballgame, so it's ingrained in everyone's heads.

I'd bet you any amount of money that the two teams that practice situational play-calling most often in practice are the Pats and Eagles.
Doug Pederson is going to change the way coaches think if he can follow up on his ballsy success last season.

3rd & 1 at CIN 29

Flacco looked like he had the jitters after his 1st pick. Balls kept getting tipped in part because he had this super long windup, while staring down a receiver the whole time. Earlier in the game he was quick to release. I think he kept checking down because he didn’t trust his deep ball by that point. 

that makes it a hell of a lot easier to bat a ball when a LB/DL can see it coming for 3-4 seconds.

He was also throwing behind his receivers all game - the RZ shot to brown was 2’ behind him. Aikman kept saying Brown “has to make that catch” - he acknowledged it was thrown behind Brown, but put the blame more on Brown, who was in traffic, hands everywhere, across the middle. Troy tends to have QBs backs I’ve noticed, and on that play it was 99% Flacco,1% Brown. He makes that catch, it’s an amazing grab, running one way, reaching back and grabbing a ball he expected to be in front of him - just no touch on short passes. Even his dump-offs to Allen & Collins were underthrown, along with the ball across the middle that Brown miraculously saved from being picked off while making a terrific catch. 

Later he had Collins on a wheel route, and had him open. He hits him in stride, and Collins has an easy 1 on 1 with a DB to the end zone - a contest Collins wins 99/100x - and Flacco threw a 105 mph fastball. 

It was a badly coached & badly executed bad game-plan. They gave one of their top weapons just 12 touches, fell behind early, and panicked. 

Flacco was clearly struggling, but the Ravens made zero adjustments - just came out throwing (badly).

i saw it from be first play of the game when they came out 5 wide, empty backfield. A terrible play that produced a predictable result, and didn’t even set up another play. I have never and will never understand that as a 1st play of the game unless it’s Madden & you’ve got Vick at QB to run a QB sneak. Otherwise it’s hot garbage that worked out exactly as well as I’d expected it to. 

Boo, Ravens coaching. Boo. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread