What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (2 Viewers)

Bucs just kicked a FG down 14 with 5 min left to play. Schiano proving he doesn't belong in the NFL once again.
That was one of the funniest things I've seen in the NFL in years. I was 100% sure it was either a fake or an attempt to draw an offsides. Because what head coach would be stupid enough to kick a FG with 5:00 left when it'll still leave you down two scores?

Apparently, we now have our answer. :lmao:
Instead of going for it on 4th and goal from the 23. Turned out to be a reasonable call.
sorry, that was one of the worst moves all season
Yes and it's not the first time Schiano has done this. Look at last year's game against Denver. This clown needs to just quit and go back to coaching some junior college program.

browns are going for it in the same situation as described in the op. 6 min left. 4th and goal from the 4. just fyi.

Andy Reid calling a pass play on 2nd down with 2:30 left in the game. An incompletion would have given Houston a free timeout.

Marty Mornhinweg, how does this guy keep getting jobs? Got the ball in overtime and the best he can come up with is to have their plodding RBs run it 8 times in a row. What about one read-option in there? Gets bailed out on a ticky-tack penalty call on a missed 56-yard FG that would have given the Pats the ball nearly at midfield.

Browns going for it on 4th and 15 from the 31 losing 17-6.

Chiefs passing the ball on 3rd and 4 around midfield up a point with 1:55 left

Bucs just kicked a FG down 14 with 5 min left to play. Schiano proving he doesn't belong in the NFL once again.
Schiano did that to see the reactions of his players on film.
You have to go all the way back to Matt Millen to find a similar cost to incompetence ratio in the NFL. And like Millen, he is literally a franchise destroyer. The worst part is that he doesn't have a modicum of humility and self awareness to acknowledge that he's completely out of his depth. At least Millen admitted it later in life.

Chip Kelly and Eagles trying a 60 yard field goal If your willing to give up the field position, just go for it on 4th and 1.
I wonder if either:

1. He misjudged where they were on the field.

2. He forgot about the rule that the opponent gets the ball at the spot of the kick, not at the line of scrimmage, after a missed FG.

I can't think of any other reason why he would have made that decision.

Woodhead running at the goal line.

You may have fooled a defense a couple weeks ago, but not again. Counting on the other team to guess wrong should not be your game plan. Put in somebody who can break a tackle.

Mike Smith still trying to run the ball in ATL. Hey stupid, you can't run. You just punish the offense with continual 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 9.

Woodhead running at the goal line.
That was truly boneheaded. Matthews looked very good the first half and hardly got any carries in the second half.
I completely agree with both of these assessments. Not only did Matthews look great in the first quarter--but the reality is that the Chargers are a far better team when he does run well for an entire game---they are 6-1 when he goes for more than 100 yards. They abandoned Matthews waaaaaaaay to early in this game and I do believe it cost them big time. Matthews looked healthy to me--was running strong--and didn't seem to have any protection issues when it came to his qb or when it comes to protecting the ball. Mind numbing for them to seem to forget about him in the second half.

Wade Phillips, filling in as coach for Kubiak, just proved he should never be given another coaching opportunity in this league again.

I'm actually to flabbergasted to type it all up right now, but basically he just punted on 4th down with 2:02 left in the game while trailing after completely mismanaging the clock, such as taking the full clock to call a play before 3rd down and then punting while ensuring he wasted the two minute warning and only having 2 timeouts left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any out-route that Marvin Lewis has Andy Dalton throw.

Also totally agree with a couple weeks back, Denver not only running, but running Hillman. Queue up the Tecmo Bowl sound of "boink boink boink".

Wade Phillips, filling in as coach for Kubiak, just proved he should never be given another coaching opportunity in this league again.

I'm actually to flabbergasted to type it all up right now, but basically he just punted on 4th down with 2:02 left in the game while trailing after completely mismanaging the clock, such as taking the full clock to call a play before 3rd down and then punting while ensuring he wasted the two minute warning and only having 2 timeouts left.
I missed that part of the game because I was asleep on the couch attending to important business, but was Phillips calling the plays? I would imagine in that situation, he and the OC would each run their side of the ball.

Also, I know he has prior head-coaching experience, but I'm inclined to cut a guy some slack when he has to take over as HC midway through a game. Coordinators have very different in-game responsibilities, so it can't be easy to switch gears like that. When was the last time it even happened?

Actually that's a classic Bum Phillips move. Just like his old man.

Let the defense win it.

3rd & 1, Tampa trying to run out the clock. Bucs OC Mike Sullivan calls a rollout to the left for RIGHT-HANDED, gangly, 8-foot tall Mike Glennon, who proceeds to lose yardage AND run out of bounds, stopping the clock.

Mind-numbing.

3rd & 1, Tampa trying to run out the clock. Bucs OC Mike Sullivan calls a rollout to the left for RIGHT-HANDED, gangly, 8-foot tall Mike Glennon, who proceeds to lose yardage AND run out of bounds, stopping the clock.

Mind-numbing.
I went to bed because that game was so bad but couldn't we just say that entire game was coached poorly, by both coaches?

Philbin - this isn't for a call/non-call or actual decision, but more for a lack of awareness/creativity or being plain naive.

Tannehill has been tipping off defenses with his cadence for a while now (more than a couple games).

Right before the snap, if Tannehill calls out "GO" its a pass play, if he calls out "GO GO" its a run play (regardless of formation or personnel/player packages). This is true for audibles, and even deception-type plays like draws and play action passes too.

When asked about this, Philbin said he was unaware of it and ultimately downplayed its importance if in fact, it was happening.

I'm not sure the extent to which this info helps opposing defenses out. But I'm guessing nothing good can come of giving defenses even a one second heads-up on what's coming. I can just imagine opposing LBs & DBs blowing coverage assignments and just crashing the line when hearing "GO GO" for example.

How, or why Philbin allowed for this to happen in the first place, and then not change it - is completely beyond me.

Back to Wade Phillips. not sure if the coaching staff made the call or the QB did it on his own but its the final drive and they need a FG to tie. It's 3rd & 3 at the HOU 35. They have 2 downs to get the 1st and keep the drive going but instead of securing the 1st down they throw a deep out to Andre. Then of course they fail on 4th down.

Who sends Andre deep when you need 3 yards to get the 1st down? 2-6 teams.

Back to Wade Phillips. not sure if the coaching staff made the call or the QB did it on his own but its the final drive and they need a FG to tie. It's 3rd & 3 at the HOU 35. They have 2 downs to get the 1st and keep the drive going but instead of securing the 1st down they throw a deep out to Andre. Then of course they fail on 4th down.

I disagree. You need a FG to tie, sure. You need more than that to win. Tying gives you a 50% chance to win, a TD gives you a 90% chance (or more depending on how much time you leave on the clock). Going deep when the defense is expecting a short play could be a winner.

Not letting Vinatieri kick and extra point and extend a 154 game scoring streak when you are down 38-zip with 12 minutes to go is pretty damn ignorant.

That's almost 10 seasons.

Gotta disagree on the Vinatieri one. Coaches shouldn't be factoring records or streaks into their game management.

I disagree. You need a FG to tie, sure. You need more than that to win. Tying gives you a 50% chance to win, a TD gives you a 90% chance (or more depending on how much time you leave on the clock). Going deep when the defense is expecting a short play could be a winner.
Can't tie if you can't get the 1st down.You get the 1st down. A low % play on 3rd & 3 is a horrible call. It wasn't even in the middle of the field. it was down the sidelines. Even less of a chance of success.

Can't tie if you can't get the 1st down.You get the 1st down. A low % play on 3rd & 3 is a horrible call. It wasn't even in the middle of the field. it was down the sidelines. Even less of a chance of success.
They play they tried on fourth and three didn't pick up the first down, so why would it have on third and three?

arians not using Ellington and looking like an ### clown on the sidelines with them goofy glasses.. Only reason he isn't catching hell is because ARI is winning. Hopefully the stubborn #### gets exposed sooner then later for Us Ellington Owners. The disparity is Euphrates river not Thin sliced cheese... Just Stupidity.

thatguythere said:
Not letting Vinatieri kick and extra point and extend a 154 game scoring streak when you are down 38-zip with 12 minutes to go is pretty damn ignorant.

That's almost 10 seasons.
Who gives a ####? Except Vinatieri?

Mark Trestman. Leaving an obviously injured and hobbled Cutler in the game - so he is a stationary target against the best D-tackle tandem in the league...in a division game...for first place...and the division tie-breaker.

Oh and calling a passing play on the two point conversion with Marshall AND Jeffry standing next to him on the sideline. Then you miraculously get a "do-over" and he puts Marshall and Jeffrey in...then calls a run...right into the a fore mentioned defensive tackles.

I think Trestman has sneezes of idiocy on the sidelines...everything looks genius then all of the sudden...

AAAACHWTFWASTHAT????!?!

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
They play they tried on fourth and three didn't pick up the first down, so why would it have on third and three?
Easy. 2 high percentage chances are better than one. You get the 1st down, you now have 1st or 2nd down to try that low % deep out along the sidelines. You need to watch that game and see the reaction to that play call.

Mark Trestman. Leaving an obviously injured and hobbled Cutler in the game - so he is a stationary target against the best D-tackle tandem in the league...in a division game...for first place...and the division tie-breaker.
Trestman was inspired by Mike Shanahan leaving Griffin in the playoff game last year when he was half crippled.

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
Easy. 2 high percentage chances are better than one. You get the 1st down, you now have 1st or 2nd down to try that low % deep out along the sidelines. You need to watch that game and see the reaction to that play call.
You're result merchanting. If the pass to Johnson is complete he looks brilliant. No good coach would stick to 3-yard plays on third-and-3 in a situation where you need a TD to win.

Any time a team is at the 1-yard-line and they have nobody in the backfield. I've seen this too many times to pick just one. The gain of taking a defender out of the pile isn't worth letting the defense know you're definitely passing or doing a QB sneak.

Putting a RB and a FB in the backfield gives you two running options, plus the sneak plus a pass. Why wouldn't you want the defense to have to prepare for all of that?

Any time a team is at the 1-yard-line and they have nobody in the backfield. I've seen this too many times to pick just one. The gain of taking a defender out of the pile isn't worth letting the defense know you're definitely passing or doing a QB sneak.

Putting a RB and a FB in the backfield gives you two running options, plus the sneak plus a pass. Why wouldn't you want the defense to have to prepare for all of that?
Very much agreed. Even on stuff like 3rd and somewhat short where they put 5 wide, and the defense just rushes 5 or 6 while playing press coverage on a few of the WRs, and it's a 2 step quick throw horrible incompletion just about EVERY time.

If you keep a RB and a FB in the backfield then you are looking at a stacked box. This isn't a horrible formation if you are going for the QB sneak. So long as the QB has the option to audible to or away from the sneak, this is a pretty versatile formation.

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
You're result merchanting. If the pass to Johnson is complete he looks brilliant. No good coach would stick to 3-yard plays on third-and-3 in a situation where you need a TD to win.
FG to tie. TD not required. The play was a ridiculous call. Only horrible coaches throw that pass.

FG to tie. TD not required. The play was a ridiculous call. Only horrible coaches throw that pass.
TD is required to win. Tying isn't winning.

Here are some examples:

2012-01-01 Packers Lions 4 1:25 3 4 DET 46 38-41

Matt Flynn pass complete deep right to James Jones for 40 yards (tackle by Chris Houston)

2011-12-11 Cowboys Giants 4 0:24 3 4 DAL 48 34-37 Tony Romo pass complete deep middle to Miles Austin for 23 yards (tackle by Antrel Rolle)

2009-09-27 Vikings 49ers 4 0:12 3 3 SFO 32 26-23 Brett Favre pass complete deep right to Greg Lewis for 32 yards, touchdown

2008-10-19 Jets Raiders 4 0:26 3 3 NYJ 48 10-13 Brett Favre pass complete deep right to Brad Smith for 18 yards (tackle by Kirk Morrison)

Earlier than that the Game Play Finder doesn't have info on where the pass was.

:goodposting:

Not the exact same circumstance, but your post reminded me of the 2006 Rose Bowl, when Pete Carroll kept Reggie Bush on the sideline on a crucial 4th down play. Even if you're going to give the ball to Lendale White, don't you at least want to have the most dynamic player in college football on the field so the defense has to account for him?

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
:goodposting: lod is wrong here

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
:goodposting: lod is wrong here
Keep dreaming. You clowns didn't even see the game. You have Andre Johnson who can #### out 1st downs in his sleep and you send him deep down the sidelines when you need 3 yards for a 1st.

Originally Posted by Inconceivable!

On 3rd down he was under no pressure, but threw the ball way down field and nowhere near a receiver. He should have thrown it short for the first. He had plenty of time.

Well the receiver he threw to wasn't open and the pass he threw was not even near him. It went out of bounds.

Oh yeah, the series ended there. That means there is no doubt that you 2 are wrong.

Well the receiver he threw to wasn't open and the pass he threw was not even near him. It went out of bounds.
That's the coach's fault?
Who sent him deep? The QB?More to back up my side. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102892&page=45
Whole lot of stupid up in here.
None more than throwing deep along the sidelines on 3rd and 3 needing just a FG to keep in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread