Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised no one has brought up Ron Rivera's decision to punt from New Orleans' 35 yard line when down 21-13 in the third quarter. Of course it was kicked into the end zone, for a fantastic net of

Always go for 2 there. 

Payton was fully justified in complaining about an egregiously bad call that cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. Today’s non-call was borderline at best (looked like a bunch of hand fighting on both s

1 hour ago, CalBear said:

Exactly. People are talking about fourth-and-8 as if it's the end of the game. At the very best—if you make it and you make the 2-point conversion (give those whatever chance you like but it's well under 50% combined)—now you're handing the ball to Tom Brady with over 2 minutes left when all he needs is a FG to win the game. Which, it turns out, is exactly how Brady won most of his biggest games. 

Every possible scenario required stopping the Bucs offense, unless the Bucs tried an onside kick and successfully recovered it, preventing the Bucs offense from getting the ball. So I find this post irrelevant. Yes, stopping them would have been very difficult... but it was required no matter what. So that really shouldn't have much bearing on whether or not to kick the FG or go for the TD IMO.

20 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

According to the ESPN Win Probability Model, GB had a 10% chance of winning the game by going for it and a 9.5% chance by kicking the FG.

LINK

This was about how I was seeing it. Seemed about even in my mind. I was surprised to see lots of people around me think kicking the FG was insane. I was ok with either decision. 

1 hour ago, kittenmittens said:

Lost in the discussion is Arians accepting the intentional penalty.  Why did he do that? 

Thought about it at the time... Couldn't Green Bay just intentionally commit another penalty?  It would never end.  Also, I think I like the five yards and the first down vs 2nd and short.  Sure, the latter gives you the potential to convert and potentially run more plays but a negative play could compromise your ability to convert leading to fewer plays.

17 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Thought about it at the time... Couldn't Green Bay just intentionally commit another penalty?  It would never end.  Also, I think I like the five yards and the first down vs 2nd and short.  Sure, the latter gives you the potential to convert and potentially run more plays but a negative play could compromise your ability to convert leading to fewer plays.

I believe the clock would only stay stopped after a penalty if the clock was previously stopped before penalty committed.

1 hour ago, Cobbler1 said:

There’s plenty of branches. Most of them offsetting or small as you say. The biggest one left out is probably the 75 ish % chance you don’t get the 4th and goal you still have a chance to stop them, get the ball back, and drive 60 ish yards to score and get the 2 and win in OT. That’s probably .75 * .5 * .3 * .5 *.5. That adds another 3% to the winning outcomes of going for it. It’s very interesting to me.

Adding to this, the 12.5% of the time you get the td but don’t get the 2, you now need a stop and to drive 30-40 yards for a game winning fg attempt. .125 * .5 * .5 (tough number to figure out how frequently Rodgers would get the 30-40 yards needed in this situation and then Crosby would make the kick). Maybe it’s lower than 50% but you can adjust accordingly if you think so. Using 50% for it adds another 3.125% to the winning outcomes in the go for it scenario. I agreed wholeheartedly with CalBears logic on his initial post but now I’m seeing that the possible winning outcomes, even if you don’t get the td or do get the td but not the 2pt conversion, add significantly to your winning scenarios. I can see how the math is pretty close to even as Anarchy points out in his link with the espn win probability.

5 hours ago, CalBear said:

Exactly. People are talking about fourth-and-8 as if it's the end of the game. At the very best—if you make it and you make the 2-point conversion (give those whatever chance you like but it's well under 50% combined)—now you're handing the ball to Tom Brady with over 2 minutes left when all he needs is a FG to win the game. Which, it turns out, is exactly how Brady won most of his biggest games. 

In some scenarios, Rodgers would also have time on the clock for a GB drive to tie the game with a FG.

If the probabilities are close, which I'm now convinced they are, I give MVP HOF QB Rodgers one more shot from the 8 yard line. 

6 hours ago, CalBear said:

Agreed.  In the scenario that happened, the Bucs are likely to run the ball several times, so you only need 1 or 2 stops on a pass play.  Had they scored the TD and gotten the 2, the game is now tied and the Bucs offense is in aggressive mode to try and win the game.  Not saying I totally agree with the decision to kick the FG, but I don't think it's as egregiously bad are some are making it out to be.  

Rodgers should be taking more heat for not running in on 3rd instead of throwing a bad pass.  He had daylight and could have either scored or at least gotten it pretty close to where going for it on 4th down was more likely.  If he thought they were going for it on 4th down, which he claimed afterwards, then getting it close at least then puts them in a situation where you can run or pass, making it a little harder to defend. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DropKick said:

I think there is a rule against GB doing that but I could be mistaken.  I think TB really only needed a single first down to make a green bay win nearly impossible without Pettine or Gregg Williams calling the defense for the Bucs. 

7 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Dont forget to factor in how demoralozing it is for the players to kick a stupid FG.  

I'm for getting rid of kicking altogether. Make everyone go for it on 4th, and only 2 point plays after a TD. Kickers, punters, and long snappers might not like it, but who cares.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

Every possible scenario required stopping the Bucs offense, unless the Bucs tried an onside kick and successfully recovered it, preventing the Bucs offense from getting the ball. So I find this post irrelevant. Yes, stopping them would have been very difficult... but it was required no matter what. So that really shouldn't have much bearing on whether or not to kick the FG or go for the TD IMO.

I agree to a certain point.  The difference is what TB would be trying to do in varying scenarios.  If GB tied the game then TB is in a mode to get the FG to win.  Their offense will be a lot more "creative" because they are actually trying to move the ball rather than run out the clock.  This makes stopping them a bit more difficult in theory because more of their playbook is in play (and still gives TB a decent chance to win the game in regulation based on the time remaining).  You can also say that by kicking the FG put GB in a chance to win in regulation so opening up the playbook a bit more is warranted as now losing in regulation is a possibility if TB gives the ball back (also making stopping them more difficult in theory).  Going for the TD and not getting it now puts TB in a situation where they primarily want to run as much of the clock off and that is somewhat more important because if they give the ball back a TD/2PT only ties the game (and may leave time on the clock for TB to have their own chance to go back and score in regulation).  This is probably the "easiest" situation to stop TB as there is a most likely chance of narrowing the playbook for TB.  

All this to say that each scenario slightly changes the stoppage percentage because TB has a slightly different goal for their drive which may affect play calling and thus your defensive play calls.  

Regardless, I would have gone for it even though I am now at least warming to the idea that kicking the FG has a lot more merit than I initially gave it credit for.  

On 1/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, ghostguy123 said:

If the packers go for it and don't get it, the bucs are pinned deep.  If they go 3 and out the pack gets the ball again with great field position.

The right play was to go for it.  You have freaking Rodgers. 

he is so good - he failed the prior 3 downs to score from the 8

refused to scramble for the score in a championship game

that Rodgers

I posted a new thread dedicated specifically to this GB decision. I couldn't sit still with the bad presumptions being made here that if they went for the TD there wouldn't still be a ton of action in regulation. Like OT is the only path to victory. I have GB as 17.2% to win in regulation if they score a TD. Here is my work:

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/792583-a-deeper-dive-into-the-4th-and-8-decision-by-gb-in-the-nfc-title-game/

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Pretty obviously bad decision for Kansas City to be calling timeouts at the end of the first half when Tampa was literally going to just run the clock out and go into halftime.  

Instead of 14-6, its 21-6.  Silly

Yup.  It just happened two weeks ago.  No excuse for making this mistake.

On 10/18/2013 at 12:04 AM, GreenNGold said:

Tonight, Bruce Arians, head coach of the Arizona Cardinals chose to kick a field goal from the 4 yard line while down 18 points in the 4th quarter. I thought NFL coaches were supposed to understand the game? I mean, how do people who are so incompetent get these jobs that pay millions of dollars per year? I really feel like acts like this should be a fireable offense, similar to how John Fox cost the Broncos any chance in the playoffs last year (2012), yet he still has a job too.

I made a post similar to this in the Seahawks-Cardinals game thread tonight, but thought it could make a good thread.

How will this idiot bruce Arians ever last?

4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Yup.  It just happened two weeks ago.  No excuse for making this mistake.

Yeah that was dumb. The first timeout ok I get it. Maybe you get a sack or inc or something. But after they gained 8 yards to make it a 3rd and short close to the 40 there’s very little upside. Most likely if you get the stop you’re getting it back around your 20 with 1 or 0 TOs and 30-35 seconds. 

10 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Yeah that was dumb. The first timeout ok I get it. Maybe you get a sack or inc or something. But after they gained 8 yards to make it a 3rd and short close to the 40 there’s very little upside. Most likely if you get the stop you’re getting it back around your 20 with 1 or 0 TOs and 30-35 seconds. 

The first timeout was dumb.  That next one was wow, just wow bad

1 minute ago, ghostguy123 said:

The first timeout was dumb.  That next one was wow, just wow bad

I disagree that the first was dumb. They had a decent shot at getting the ball back and driving for a fg at that point. After the solid gain on 2nd the risk of surrendering points was too much for my liking.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

I disagree that the first was dumb. They had a decent shot at getting the ball back and driving for a fg at that point. After the solid gain on 2nd the risk of surrendering points was too much for my liking.

The risk of going down 11 (ended up 15 cause, well, its Brady after all) is way bigger than the reward of getting within 5. 

Just a bad decision.  

Go into the half, regroup, come out down 1 score.

• Like 1

Per roto

Jaguars hired strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle.  

Doyle is best known as an Iowa strength and conditioning coach who allegedly used racist language and whose workouts put more than a dozen Iowa players in the hospital during his two decades at the university. Doyle received a $1.11 million contract buyout in June 2020 after racial bias accusations surfaced, and will now join a coaching staff in a league where nearly seven in ten players are black. Last June, former Iowa defensive back Diauntae Morrow tweeted, "Doyle made a comment about sending back to the GHETTO."  Former Hawkeyes linebacker Terrance Pryor alleged Doyle told him, "Maybe you should take up rowing or something, you know? Oh wait, Black people don't like boats in water, do they?" ESPN's Adam Schefter said Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer "vetted his hire, and he is confident there will be no issues with Doyle." Meyer's backing of a coach with a well-documented racist history could make the Jaguars a less desirable landing spot for free agents this offseason.  

Gooooo jags.