What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (1 Viewer)

I love the dynasty outlook for him, but what are you guys thinking for Mariota in redraft this year? Where would you rank him ROS? QB #??? I really don't know what to make of him.

I love the dynasty outlook for him, but what are you guys thinking for Mariota in redraft this year? Where would you rank him ROS? QB #??? I really don't know what to make of him.
I think... Low end QB1 with the opportunity to be a top 3 QB any week but weeks where he is inconsistent. There will be 2-3 weeks where he looks like a rookie. In dynasty, he has such a good work ethic and is a good guy, there's not many QBs I would want more.

So I've made the plunge. Spent about 20% of my FAAB on the guy.

Is his ceiling rookie year RGIII? Better? Worse?

I know he only played TB, but at the end of the day, no matter how bad TB's D was, it was still the best D he'd ever faced. And he carved it.

I mean, that team is already built around him. When Matt Ryan broke in, they ran Michael Turner 390 times (or thereabouts). I can't see a similar arrangement with TEN so everything they do would seemingly run thru him. If he can maintain efficient with high volume, could he be epic?

Nabbed him. When FF owners are late they're a week late.

MM has had to open as a rookie with 2 games on the road. I think he hits Cleveland with another big performance. Then he returns to Nashville 2-0, if that happens watch out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this thread represents a typical gross over-reaction in fantasy football.

I don't think Marquita ends the season as a top 10 Qb.

That said, I just picked him up in my redraft league to back Drew Brees just in case you guys are right! Lol.

Just snagged him for $3 in a $100 yearly FAAB budget 2 keeper league. Pondering starting him over Rodgers this week. Can anyone talk me back from that ledge?

I didn't see the game but I do know 2 of his TDs were direct results of picks deep in Bucs territory, setting him up nicely.

FUBAR said:
Don said:
dgr81 said:
drafted mariota as my final pick.

starting him week 2 with confidence over eli.
May start him over Peyton
Right now I have him in over cam. Can't put him in over luck (no kidding, right? )
I'm considering dropping cam for MM in a redraft.....I think cam will be very inconsistent all season....MM might be too, but I'm a believer

Just snagged him for $3 in a $100 yearly FAAB budget 2 keeper league. Pondering starting him over Rodgers this week. Can anyone talk me back from that ledge?

I didn't see the game but I do know 2 of his TDs were direct results of picks deep in Bucs territory, setting him up nicely.
I currently have Mariota (@Browns) in my starting lineup over Rodgers (vs. Seahawks). Not sure if it will stay that way.

rickyg said:
I think this thread represents a typical gross over-reaction in fantasy football.

That said, I just picked him up in my redraft league to back Drew Brees just in case you guys are right! Lol.
Under-reactions are possible too.

I currently have Mariota (@Browns) in my starting lineup over Rodgers (vs. Seahawks). Not sure if it will stay that way.
I haven't been a Rodgers owner in quite some time, if I recall he typically doesn't have good games against Seattle

I haven't been a Rodgers owner in quite some time, if I recall he typically doesn't have good games against Seattle
He's played them ok, but hasn't produced big fantasy numbers:

Code:
92	2014	1	2014-09-04	30-276	GNB	@	SEA	L 16-36	*	23	33	69.70	189	1	1	81.5	5.73	4.97	0	0		0	0	0	0		0		0	0.0	0	093	2012	3	2012-09-24	28-297	GNB	@	SEA	L 12-14	*	26	39	66.67	223	0	0	81.5	5.72	5.72	2	17	8.50	0	0	0	0		0		0	0.0	0	094	2009	15	2009-12-27	26-025	GNB		SEA	W 48-10	*	12	23	52.17	237	1	0	103.0	10.30	11.17	1	9	9.00	0	0	0	0		0		0	0.0	0	095	2008	6	2008-10-12	24-315	GNB	@	SEA	W 27-17	*	21	30	70.00	208	2	0	111.5	6.93	8.27	6	23	3.83	1	0	0	0		0		6	0.0	1	0

cstu said:
I'm more interested in his analysis of Winston after raving about him.
I don't remember that. The thing on Winston I most remember from Cosell was, I paraphrase: "Everybody talks about his high football IQ, well I've got to say on watching his tape, I'm not seeing that." Then he talked about misreading LBs and underneath coverage etc.

Also: Good piece from Doug Farrar on Mariota's debut. Cameo from Cosell and SmartFootball.

rickyg said:

Under-reactions are possible too.
Trudat my fellow whodat! Anything is possible. No one environment Newton or rg3 having the rookie seasons they had. Those were outliers though. Exceptions to the rule. And they accomplished those gaudy stats with major help from their legs. Rushing yards and rushing Tds.

Admittedly I don't know too much about Mariota but from what I understand while he CAN run the ball when needed he's not known as a running Qb?

So if he matches their rookie seasons from a fantasy perspective you're looking at him throwing for around 4000 yards and 25+ Tds I guess? That's asking quite a lot from a rookie Qb

He played Tb. They suck. Let's see how he holds up against stiffer defenses with a better pass rush.

Despite me saying all this I still picked him up BC well, stranger things have happened than a highly touted college Qb having a great season as a rookie in the NFL. It's rare but it happens now and then.

IF he can accomplish that then he gives his owners tremendous flexibility presuming he is their qb2.

For instance, the year I drafted Newton as a rookie in my dynasty draft, I also had mike Vick. This was the year that Vick was in the discussion as the top overall pick in fantasy drafts. Right after he lit it up in Philly for half a season.

After 4 games from Newton I was convinced that he was the real deal. I traded away Vick and got a top WR return. Made my team incredibly tough to beat and I went on to win a chan ship that year.

That's the kind of leverage you can get when a strategy like this works. Praying that Mariota is the real deal this year. Not just for that reason but also BC I own DGB In every one of my leagues. So a productive Mariota should eventually quite to DGB absolutely beasting out in the red zone for years to come.

Spent some decent FAAB picking him up, I can see starting him if you drafted Peyton or Newton but if you have a better starter I'd be careful of "chasing" last week's production. TB is arguably the worst team in football. He'll need to run to have good value though since I'm not expecting a lot of 3 or 4 TD performances again this year.

cstu said:
I'm more interested in his analysis of Winston after raving about him.
I don't remember that. The thing on Winston I most remember from Cosell was, I paraphrase: "Everybody talks about his high football IQ, well I've got to say on watching his tape, I'm not seeing that." Then he talked about misreading LBs and underneath coverage etc.

Also: Good piece from Doug Farrar on Mariota's debut. Cameo from Cosell and SmartFootball.
Looked like he changed his mind after he watched more tape:

January - "In the two games I watched [on film], I thought he was rather impressive,"

March - "The more I watched him, the less I liked him," said Cosell. "Winston was not a very good decision maker within the context of his offense. And the other thing is, his accuracy is very erratic. My guess is that's the way he throws," Cosell opined. "I'm not sure you can change that."

Offered a guy later 1st 2nd and 3rd rd picks plus (told em to take a look at my roster and give me some names) and was shot down.... he is pretty thin everywhere as well.

On ESPN this morning Teddy Bruschi was discussing the Kendal Wright TD play where Mariota put the ball in the belly of the RB then fired a strike to Wright in stride and Wright got behind the secondary.

Bruschi said he never played against any QB who could release the ball that quickly from a handoff. 0.6 seconds. Basically Bruschi said there's nothing a LB or Saftey can do to defend that and get back fast enough. If the defense commits at all to going downhill on the play action fake .6 seconds is nowhere near enough time to get back into coverage.

He said even Peyton at his best would reset and scan the field before throwing. Mariota kept his eyes downfield even during the faked handoff.

On ESPN this morning Teddy Bruschi was discussing the Kendal Wright TD play where Mariota put the ball in the belly of the RB then fired a strike to Wright in stride and Wright got behind the secondary.

Bruschi said he never played against any QB who could release the ball that quickly from a handoff. 0.6 seconds. Basically Bruschi said there's nothing a LB or Saftey can do to defend that and get back fast enough. If the defense commits at all to going downhill on the play action fake .6 seconds is nowhere near enough time to get back into coverage.

He said even Peyton at his best would reset and scan the field before throwing. Mariota kept his eyes downfield even during the faked handoff.
My exact post after the TD was "That's Brady-esque."

Offered a guy later 1st 2nd and 3rd rd picks plus (told em to take a look at my roster and give me some names) and was shot down.... he is pretty thin everywhere as well.
Offered the trade I passed on during the offseason - Garoppolo and a late 1st.

Doesn't look good...

For perspective, Cardinals running back David Johnson (22.05 mph on 55-yard touchdown), Browns wide receiver Travis Benjamin (21.74 mph on 54-yard touchdown) and Steelers wideout Darrius Heyward-Bey (21.43 mph on a 43-yard reception) were the only ball carriers to clock faster times than Mariota.
That's pretty cool, especially for a guy who threw 4 TDs in the first half. I burned a high waiver on him to potentially serve as my backup QB. Probably chasing points here but low risk having him ride the pine as my backup QB for a few weeks. He's a rookie and expectations must be tempered. Also, there is no way TB could have prepared for that. The Titans offense, imo, was very different from everything we thought we knew about Whisenhunt. I'll give it a few weeks and see how defenses adjust, whether rookie inexperience shows up in games, etc. I think he's going to be a good NFL quarterback, not so sure he'll be a good fantasy quarterback. We'll see.

I know its TB, he only threw like 16 times, etc.....but these little details add up to a historically efficient day....are defenses gonna catch up to him? Sure......but when u can make plays like that, that quickly, hitting the receiver in stride, so he can take it to the house......that's special. And the best part is, this guy will remain humble and focused.

I know its TB, he only threw like 16 times, etc.....but these little details add up to a historically efficient day....are defenses gonna catch up to him? Sure......but when u can make plays like that, that quickly, hitting the receiver in stride, so he can take it to the house......that's special. And the best part is, this guy will remain humble and focused.
IMO he's everything Robert Griffin could have been had been humble and learned to slide.

Griffin followed up his historical week 1 performance with 20/29 for 206 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, and 82 yards rushing against a good Rams pass defense.

IMO he's everything Robert Griffin could have been had been humble and learned to slide.

Griffin followed up his historical week 1 performance with 20/29 for 206 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, and 82 yards rushing against a good Rams pass defense.
Agreed. Rg3 was anointed as the chosen one as soon as he was drafted. He also dosent put in the work. Mariota has all the physical tools and he'll continue to work hard like the greats do. Does this guarantee greatness? Hell no! So many variables.....but the titans are super stoked right now!

Agreed. Rg3 was anointed as the chosen one as soon as he was drafted. He also dosent put in the work. Mariota has all the physical tools and he'll continue to work hard like the greats do. Does this guarantee greatness? Hell no! So many variables.....but the titans are super stoked right now!
...Following a historic performance in his NFL debut on Sunday, Mariota has quickly become one of the league’s hot topics.

Chances are, Mariota never tuned in. He was back at work Monday morning, a day after throwing for 209 yards and four touchdowns in Sunday’s 42-14 win over the Buccaneers.

“We had to lift weights first thing, and Marcus was in there back squatting, doing the trap bar deadlift, doing the things that quarterbacks don’t normally do,’’ receiver Harry Douglas said. “The guy’s a worker. I mean, that is one way I knew he was different from the beginning. When we came the first day we had lifting in the offseason, he was doing heavy weights. I said, ‘See, he’s a different guy.’ But you love that about him, man. If you are in the weight room and your quarterback is doing stuff like that, it makes you want to go 100 percent even more for him.

“Marcus isn’t about to take it easy.”...
http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Marcus-Mariota-Back-to-Work-After-Dandy-Debut/af32e32b-aff2-4f49-b9f2-1c90fe1a3949

cstu said:
Offered the trade I passed on during the offseason - Garoppolo and a late 1st.

Doesn't look good...
At this point that would be a steal! Id be thrilled if i got em for that.

That's exactly why we love this guy.

Hype happens. But assuming he keeps himself grounded he can be an ambassador for the nfl.

The Titans fan club will continue to grow.

We would be foolish to not expect some bad games, happens to everyone, and the team around him is still subpar. But he and wright will be fun to watch.

Who else is starting him this week? I'm rolling with him in two leagues - over teddy in a redraft (2qb start, along with Wilson) and over cam in dynasty.

I've got him and Teddy starting over Flacco in a 2QB dynasty.
Very tempted to go Mariota (@Browns who Fitzpatrick did well against) over Rodgers (vs. Seahawks) but couldn't bring myself to do it.

That's exactly why we love this guy. Hype happens. But assuming he keeps himself grounded he can be an ambassador for the nfl.

The Titans fan club will continue to grow.

We would be foolish to not expect some bad games, happens to everyone, and the team around him is still subpar. But he and wright will be fun to watch.

Who else is starting him this week? I'm rolling with him in two leagues - over teddy in a redraft (2qb start, along with Wilson) and over cam in dynasty.
Can't bring myself to start him....super flex starting brees, and rivers. Almost put him in over rivers, but his floor is higher than mariotas.

I dropped cam added mariota to b/u Matty Ice in a redraft.

I hope he goes off on my bench!

I'll be overly optimistic for a minute, but I'm kind of glad the team, including mm,is struggling in the first half. I want to see how he overcomes and bounces back. Resiliency is huge for a qb and young team.

Offense did not use the college-ness of week 1 nor the very quick snap N throws (interesting the Pats did to combat Bills D)

Can't recall a Mariota run

Almost every snap from center was a handoff and every shotgun was a pass.

3 TE O still prevalent without Walker-but zero for Supernaw, little for Fasano and Stevens so it was not used (much) in the way that any of the three could catch it

Boring O in week 2 like last year, RT had a week game and a OL got hurt....like last year.

Wright smothered by Haden all day.

Deep passes to Hugh Douglas while DGB and Hunter were available.

I don't see any point in Whisenhunt making Mariota predictable; can't think of a benefit to the offense. It seems to me using him creatively is an advantage they could have.

He was terrible at protecting the football. Drill him as a RB or somesuch and let the guys slap it out of his hands. That was just awful.

He was a rook and all with some mistakes, some he got lucky with that didn't cost them, but he did play like a "champ" in the making with some drive and determination in the 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread