What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (1 Viewer)

Is it possible that it's a combination of teams figuring him out AND that whisenhunt is an idiot who doesn't understand the concept of putting his best players on the field? Beckham is a beast and should be a full time starter across from Wright.
One could reasonably argue he should have been pulled.

Whisenhunt going with empty backfield didn't help

Fowler barely playing, again, didn't help

Poutasi struggling some didn't help

Center going down didn't help

Still bad throws, didn't throw it away, didn't tuck it in and take a sack. Missing Wright a few times is not good. Time for rook to take his lumps

DGB played very well on first series. In some after but...why spoonfeed him? I agree he's gotta play and Douglas needs to sit

Hunter made some plays and had a very nice leaping one.

Now, why didn't the bucs take this guy again???

Door #1 - Mariota

Door #2 - Trade with Philly (for loads of picks) who takes Mariota

Door #3 - A steaming pile of crap.

How are these guys allowed to stay employed at the highest level of football?
:lmao:

That is maybe the fastest and most effortless release I've ever seen. Why didn't this kid go #1 again?
No good reason(s).
Week 1 overreactions seem to have cooled some.
not too much. Every sunday announcers rave.

The focus has shifted to Whisenhunt's ineffectiveness

DGB closer to being significant. When that happens he'll be big deal again with QB WR combo talk

My opinion hasn't changed. The Titans have an excellent franchise QB in Mariota. Maybe finishing near the bottom of the league this year would be a good thing, so they can pick up some O-line protection for him in next year's draft.

What's the consensus here on whether he should play or be sat down by the team?

Normal recovery time is 2-3 weeks. Possible to have further damage but not something that's likely.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Marcus-Mariota-Named-NFL-Offensive-Rookie-of-the-Month/8d1baa50-23a7-487e-84c2-aa0a34919c8e

Marcus Mariota Named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month

Posted 30 minutes ago

On Thursday morning, the NFL announced the Titans rookie quarterback as the league's Offensive Rookie of the Month...

...In his first three starts, Mariota has completed 61-of-97 passes for 833 yards and eight touchdowns, with two interceptions.

Mariota’s passer rating of 109.2 is the eighth best passer rating in NFL history in a player’s first three starts, and the highest since Chad Pennington’s first three starts in 2002. Mariota’s passer rating through three starts trails only Kurt Warner (125.0 in 1999), Dan Marino (114.9 in 1983), Pennington (113.4), Matt Flynn (111.9 from 2010-11), Greg Cook (111.1 in 1969), Mark Rypien (110.3 in 1988) and Ed Rubbert (110.2 in 1987 replacement games).

Cam and Robert Griffin also won this award for September of their rookie year. Griffin also won it again for November and Wilson won it for December.
If MM can play as well as Cam, Titans fans would be happy.

Mariotta is as good as Luck and the Bucs are stupid to not take him crowd: :tumbleweed:
Where was this crowd?

I still think MM is better than Winston in many ways, but he has work to do.

Mariotta is as good as Luck and the Bucs are stupid to not take him crowd: :tumbleweed:
Where was this crowd?

So does Luck. Hasselbeck is better than him in almost every passing statistic this year. It took him until his third year in the league to crack the top 10 in yards/attempt, and he's not near that in his fourth year.

In redraft I dropped MM for Taylor as my QB2 to get me through Bens injury. He's regressing statistically and with the injury I'm not going to count on him short term.

I'm still very high on him in dynasty.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Marcus-Mariota-Named-NFL-Offensive-Rookie-of-the-Month/8d1baa50-23a7-487e-84c2-aa0a34919c8e

Posted 30 minutes ago

On Thursday morning, the NFL announced the Titans rookie quarterback as the league's Offensive Rookie of the Month...

...In his first three starts, Mariota has completed 61-of-97 passes for 833 yards and eight touchdowns, with two interceptions.

Mariotas passer rating of 109.2 is the eighth best passer rating in NFL history in a players first three starts, and the highest since Chad Penningtons first three starts in 2002. Mariotas passer rating through three starts trails only Kurt Warner (125.0 in 1999), Dan Marino (114.9 in 1983), Pennington (113.4), Matt Flynn (111.9 from 2010-11), Greg Cook (111.1 in 1969), Mark Rypien (110.3 in 1988) and Ed Rubbert (110.2 in 1987 replacement games).

Cam and Robert Griffin also won this award for September of their rookie year. Griffin also won it again for November and Wilson won it for December.

Where was this crowd?

Multiple people in here and other threads said he was the next Luck.

In the first 5 games of his first season starting (4th year in the league) at three years older than Mariota, Rodgers completed 63.2% of his passes at 7.8 YPA for 9 TD, 4 INT.

Mariota in his first 5 games has completed 63.6% of his passes at 7.6 YPA for 9 TD, 5 INT.

Last edited by a moderator:
In redraft I dropped MM for Taylor as my QB2 to get me through Bens injury. He's regressing statistically and with the injury I'm not going to count on him short term.
I'm considering something similar out of desperation. Romo and Mariota, and 27 QBs are currently rostered in that league. Slim pickins.

That is maybe the fastest and most effortless release I've ever seen. Why didn't this kid go #1 again?
No good reason(s).
Week 1 overreactions seem to have cooled some.
Same with LOD and cstu's post count. Odd how that happens.
And your posts are completely predictable. Mariota, despite cooling off has done way better than your boy Winston.
Since week 1 (obviously hugely in his favor) Winston has been significantly better.

Where was this crowd?

So does Luck. Hasselbeck is better than him in almost every passing statistic this year. It took him until his third year in the league to crack the top 10 in yards/attempt, and he's not near that in his fourth year.
Brian Hoyer has a better yards/attempt average than Russell Wilson, so he must be better! Carson Palmer > Tom Brady! :excited:

Luck can improve for sure.

You really think saying someone is the next Luck means that person is saying he is as good as Luck right now?

Peyton Manning is the past Aaron Rodgers. Did I just say Peyton = Rodgers right now? Try another, Dan Marino is a past Aaron Rodgers. That must mean Marino is as good as Rodgers right now!

Since week 1 (obviously hugely in his favor) Winston has been significantly better.
Fine I'll bite.

Week 2, slight edge to Winston. It's close and neither did all that much. (1-1)

Week 3 MM threw for 367 yards while Winston only completed 47% of his passes. This is not at all in Winston's favor. (2-1)

In week 4 Winston threw four INTs (3-1)

In week 5 they ran all over the Jags and he only had to complete 13 passes. He was better this week but he only performed minimally due to circumstances (3-2). Odd YPA average doesn't tell story as he only threw one deep pass.

I think it's 3-2 and feel a week or two might be where neither gets a W in this comparison.

Each need to stop fumbling and get horrible grades for ball protection. Mariota owns up to it and says he's heard it since high school. That's about my feeling watching-it's pathetic and cmon not the first time you've been sacked.

Years ago I said there should be a rule if you draft a QB you've gotta draft at least three linemen. I still feel that way. Bucs run game has helped Jameis at times but these guys take way too much of a beating.

This guy does an excellent job digging into this comparison.

He is a Tampa guy and yet has Mariota better all five.

http://home.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/charting-jameis-winston-and-marcus-mariota-week-6-back-to-the-future/2250623

Posted 30 minutes ago

Mariotas passer rating of 109.2 is the eighth best passer rating in NFL history in a players first three starts, and the highest since Chad Penningtons first three starts in 2002. Mariotas passer rating through three starts trails only Kurt Warner (125.0 in 1999), Dan Marino (114.9 in 1983), Pennington (113.4), Matt Flynn (111.9 from 2010-11), Greg Cook (111.1 in 1969), Mark Rypien (110.3 in 1988) and Ed Rubbert (110.2 in 1987 replacement games).

Where was this crowd?

Young QBs will have dud games and he doesn't have a lot of help in terms of OL or skill players. Nevertheless, his statistics through five games compare favorably to Luck's rookie season:

% completion: Luck 54.1% to MM 64%

Avg yards/completion: Luck 7.0 to MM 7.7

TD to INT ratio: Luck, 23 to 18 vs Luck 9 to 5

Comparing MM to Luck is certainly reasonable. And Luck didn't really take off until his third year.

The Titans don't have the QB coach they need. In fact I think it's rather ignorant.

The Bucs, who were going to take a QB, didn't want him but oh yeah we'll take him. After his astounding success grooming Leinart I can see why Whis thought he'd be useful. It sure took a genius to replace Bruce and Holt with Fitz and Boldin in Arizona let's all praise him for his success with Warner.

The kick in the shins here is...ya know how Britt was a trouble-maker with bad habits and all as a rook? Guess who was his WR coach in college

They will likely make a coaching change and if so that will likely involve significant thought toward Mariota, but we'll have to see. This isn't a franchise that always makes good decisions.

Fine I'll bite.Week 2, slight edge to Winston. It's close and neither did all that much. (1-1)

Week 3 MM threw for 367 yards while Winston only completed 47% of his passes. This is not at all in Winston's favor. (2-1)

In week 5 they ran all over the Jags and he only had to complete 13 passes. He was better this week but he only performed minimally due to circumstances (3-2). Odd YPA average doesn't tell story as he only threw one deep pass.

I think it's 3-2 and feel a week or two might be where neither gets a W in this comparison.

Each need to stop fumbling and get horrible grades for ball protection. Mariota owns up to it and says he's heard it since high school. That's about my feeling watching-it's pathetic and cmon not the first time you've been sacked.

Years ago I said there should be a rule if you draft a QB you've gotta draft at least three linemen. I still feel that way. Bucs run game has helped Jameis at times but these guys take way too much of a beating.

http://home.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/charting-jameis-winston-and-marcus-mariota-week-6-back-to-the-future/2250623
After week 1 PFF has JW as the 12th best qb. MM was 26th. It hasn't even been close.

Capella said:
Bri said:
Capella said:
Fine I'll bite.Week 2, slight edge to Winston. It's close and neither did all that much. (1-1)

After week 1 PFF has JW as the 12th best qb. MM was 26th. It hasn't even been close.
that guy is quoting PFF stats and charting them. Scroll down past back to future stuff

Bri said:
The Titans don't have the QB coach they need. In fact I think it's rather ignorant.

The Bucs, who were going to take a QB, didn't want him but oh yeah we'll take him. After his astounding success grooming Leinart I can see why Whis thought he'd be useful. It sure took a genius to replace Bruce and Holt with Fitz and Boldin in Arizona let's all praise him for his success with Warner.

The kick in the shins here is...ya know how Britt was a trouble-maker with bad habits and all as a rook? Guess who was his WR coach in college

They will likely make a coaching change and if so that will likely involve significant thought toward Mariota, but we'll have to see. This isn't a franchise that always makes good decisions.
Did not know that. :lmao:

Bri said:

I don't know if McNulty's a good QB coach or not so I won't weigh in on that. As for the bolded part, McNulty was the Rutgers WR coach in 2004 and 2005 but he was the assistant offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach when Britt arrived in 2006.

Bri said:

I don't know if McNulty's a good QB coach or not so I won't weigh in on that. As for the bolded part, McNulty was the Rutgers WR coach in 2004 and 2005 but he was the assistant offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach when Britt arrived in 2006.
nitpicking...

The career WR coach took over play-calling duties midseason in 06 and was given the title assistant OC. The OC wasn't fired, couldn't give him that title. Tiquan (and Britt) were his boys. They didn't hire a replacement at WR coach when they promoted him. Jack Britt, Kenny's dad, did go from working at Bayonne HS to working for Rutgers but that was a token job. He was never their WR coach and in fact wanted his boy to play RB. Britt wasn't a top recruit after a senior season where he only had 8 catches in HS. Junior year he did well in HS. Giving Jack a job was odd.

The Bucs current QB coach was U of Tennessee's coordinator and should have been the hire by the Titans like a step up of sorts.

Mett had a great offseason. He stunk in one game in preseason but otherwise was impressive. Lots of camp reports commented similar praise too.

I'm very curious of him. I'll forgive a first drive mistake as he's been sitting for weeks. After that I wanna see what he can do.

That big arm with DGB/Hunter outside would be nice if he had time to wind it up. I'm so disappointed by this team's perennial failure to fix OL issues. Turrble.

Mett had a great offseason. He stunk in one game in preseason but otherwise was impressive. Lots of camp reports commented similar praise too.

I'm very curious of him. I'll forgive a first drive mistake as he's been sitting for weeks. After that I wanna see what he can do.
Would love to see Mett do well and I think he can. Maybe he'll play well enough to get teams like Washington or Kansas City to make an offer for him this off season. If not, he's a decent backup.

Would love to see Mett do well and I think he can. Maybe he'll play well enough to get teams like Washington or Kansas City to make an offer for him this off season. If not, he's a decent backup.
The problem seems to be stuck in return value. He is the cheapest of cheap QBs being a late round pick. Having him in a usually somewhat high paid position saves them considerable $ to use elsewhere. Now they're wayyy under the cap so that's gotta be taken with a grain of salt but...it seems like Mett has to attract way more return value than he has.

I love KC's offense with Daniel in and think that will happen soon. I'd guess once it does, he's their future. People totally underestimate that guy.

Yeah if I were Washington I'd get rid of RG3 and Cousins. Ask McCoy if he minds being a career backup and can lose his ambition...otherwise, I'd get 3 new QBs and Mett would be nice.

Tannehill is like Vince Young where I don't know if he's going to be good or lose his mind. Fins would be a nice spot with their WRs.

I think the Jets have a nice offense to just plug a QB into and in no way think that's Geno.

I don't see half the good things others do in Osweiler so if Peyton is done I wonder what Elway thinks of the big armed Mett.

Carson Palmer's rejuvenation has me thrown, they could need a QB I guess.

Houston's QBs and the Browns QBs...I prefer Mett.

The right Sunday and Detroit fans would replace Stafford.

There's probably a lot of "cloudy" situations that will be much clearer as the season closes.

Mett could make himself a millionaire on Sunday. I wonder how that feels and if this puts undue pressure on him or too excited or...can't imagine thinking if I play well, I'll be a millionaire.

The problem seems to be stuck in return value. He is the cheapest of cheap QBs being a late round pick. Having him in a usually somewhat high paid position saves them considerable $ to use elsewhere. Now they're wayyy under the cap so that's gotta be taken with a grain of salt but...it seems like Mett has to attract way more return value than he has.

I love KC's offense with Daniel in and think that will happen soon. I'd guess once it does, he's their future. People totally underestimate that guy.

Yeah if I were Washington I'd get rid of RG3 and Cousins. Ask McCoy if he minds being a career backup and can lose his ambition...otherwise, I'd get 3 new QBs and Mett would be nice.

Tannehill is like Vince Young where I don't know if he's going to be good or lose his mind. Fins would be a nice spot with their WRs.

I think the Jets have a nice offense to just plug a QB into and in no way think that's Geno.

I don't see half the good things others do in Osweiler so if Peyton is done I wonder what Elway thinks of the big armed Mett.

Carson Palmer's rejuvenation has me thrown, they could need a QB I guess.

Houston's QBs and the Browns QBs...I prefer Mett.

The right Sunday and Detroit fans would replace Stafford.

There's probably a lot of "cloudy" situations that will be much clearer as the season closes.

Mett could make himself a millionaire on Sunday. I wonder how that feels and if this puts undue pressure on him or too excited or...can't imagine thinking if I play well, I'll be a millionaire.
29 year old Chase Daniel? You're a whole lot more optimistic than I am regarding his future.

Rotoworld:

Titans interim coach Mike Mularkey said he will change the offensive scheme to better fit Marcus Mariota's strengths.

"We’ll do some things differently offensively, scheme-wise," Mularkey said. "We’re not going to change the whole offense, but we’re going to do some things philosophically different." Mariota started strong against Tampa Bay, but he has completed just under 62 percent of his throws and has as many interceptions as touchdowns in four starts since. Behind a shaky offensive line, it would make sense for Tennessee to get Mariota on the move more often to threaten defenses with his legs. Mariota has 10 rushing attempts total this season.

Source: Pro Football Talk

Nov 3 - 1:17 PM

Week 9 vs the Saints - anyone thinking about starting him?

- Excellent matchup, Saints ranked 29th against the pass

- Saints could score a lot, might need to play keep up

- New coach means the Titans offense might have some different looks

It feels nuts but seriously considering him over Luck. I think the only thing holding me back right now is Wright being out.

It feels nuts but seriously considering him over Luck. I think the only thing holding me back right now is Wright being out.
Wright's absence is problematic. Also consider the swiss cheese OL. If MM has no time, and no quick athletic underneath receiver (Wright) then he might be in trouble. Maybe Harry Douglas can help but I don't see MM having time for the Hunter/DGB plays to develop downfield. TE Walker could help, a lot, but if Mariota leans on him I wouldn't expect huge passing yards.

I don't know. I understand the temptation to use him but there are some red flags as well.

Of course, anyone vs DEN sounds bad so pick your poison.

Wright's absence is problematic. Also consider the swiss cheese OL. If MM has no time, and no quick athletic underneath receiver (Wright) then he might be in trouble. Maybe Harry Douglas can help but I don't see MM having time for the Hunter/DGB plays to develop downfield. TE Walker could help, a lot, but if Mariota leans on him I wouldn't expect huge passing yards. I don't know. I understand the temptation to use him but there are some red flags as well.

Of course, anyone vs DEN sounds bad so pick your poison.
I can't argue any of this.

Well to steal someone else's line- it's time for them to take the training wheels off Mariota.

His legs ought to be able to buy some time and make some things happen and they've held him somewhat under wraps for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread