Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Marcus Mariota, Raiders

It was against the Saints, but Marcus looked good out there today. The two tipped passes helped, but their WRs aren't anything special.

I'm glad him and Jameis are doing well, the NFL needs good QBs coming in with all of the elite guys being in their 30s

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One detailed review of Mariota's poor game in week three actually reviewed the staff as having an awful game. He was able to point out just about everyone (including the OL) in the wrong spot at some

The narrative for this guy compared to Jameis Winston is amazing.  He's brutal.  No excuses like this for Jameis.  He's just a "turd," but Mariota can't hit the broad side of a barn with a wrecking ba

He's so terrible that his numbers are in line with a 'generational talent' so far this year. That's really funny by the way. Your guy is one of the worst right now. It's right here:  QB Stats. He's ev

That is maybe the fastest and most effortless release I've ever seen. Why didn't this kid go #1 again?

No good reason(s).

Week 1 overreactions seem to have cooled some.

Same with LOD and cstu's post count. Odd how that happens.
And your posts are completely predictable. Mariota, despite cooling off has done way better than your boy Winston.
Since week 1 (obviously hugely in his favor) Winston has been significantly better.

Ah yes. The "if you take out the big play, he stinks" defense. Finds support in the matter of Woz v. Tremblay,as modified by

In re Calbear.

I'd take Mariota over Winston 100 out of 100 times. Kid has a spectacular career ahead of him.

Has 2 more TD's than any other QB through the first 3 games of their rookie year.

The amazing thing is that he would still be tied for the most rookie TD's through his 6th game - even if he's throws zero TD's in the next 3 games.

His 13 TD's through 6 games is 4 more than the next rookie QB - Jameis Winston with 9.

week 1 and week 6 were excellent.

In between, needs some work. The kid has a very exciting future.

Is he the best young QB outside of Luck? Dynasty type evaluation for his future career. Am I too much of a Titans fan to gauge properly or do others feel similarly?

Is he the best young QB outside of Luck? Dynasty type evaluation for his future career. Am I too much of a Titans fan to gauge properly or do others feel similarly?

Carr, Bortles, Mariota all in this conversation IMO.

Mariota having two 4-TD games this early in his career is a big thing to me, personally. Some guys, even if they turn out to be winners, just don't have "it" when it comes to finding ways to just throw TD's. He seems to have no problem with it (albeit against some bad D's) and that's a good sign. Some guys, even when they have the opportunity and even when they play bad defenses, just have a problem putting up 6 points consistently.

Mariota having two 4-TD games this early in his career is a big thing to me, personally. Some guys, even if they turn out to be winners, just don't have "it" when it comes to finding ways to just throw TD's. He seems to have no problem with it (albeit against some bad D's) and that's a good sign. Some guys, even when they have the opportunity and even when they play bad defenses, just have a problem putting up 6 points consistently.

One of yesterday's TD's was a HORRIBLE pass. Just awful. Two defenders were there. One of them muffed the catch and bounced it off his hands to Delanie Walker who rumbled all the way down the field. I'm not bashing Mariota. Agree that he's going to be super good. But if that 4-TD mark is meaningful to you, go watch that one then decide for yourself.

• Like 1

One of yesterday's TD's was a HORRIBLE pass. Just awful. Two defenders were there. One of them muffed the catch and bounced it off his hands to Delanie Walker who rumbled all the way down the field. I'm not bashing Mariota. Agree that he's going to be super good. But if that 4-TD mark is meaningful to you, go watch that one then decide for yourself.
That was the most awful/lucky TD pass I think I've ever seen. It was a pathetic throw.

That aside, I didn't see the game. How'd he look otherwise?

Carr, Bortles, Mariota all in this conversation IMO.

Change Bortles to Bridgewater and I'd agree.

That was the most awful/lucky TD pass I think I've ever seen. It was a pathetic throw.

That aside, I didn't see the game. How'd he look otherwise?

Up and down. The quick release was really nice Accuracy was sometimes good, but inconsistent. He threw a few fastballs at DGB's feet. Wright might have scooped those off the turf, but the big guy had no chance. The Saints passing defense is pathetic and MM could have had 425 yards if not for a few poor passes. Also, as mentioned above, MM should have had an INT and one less TD.

MM only ran once and it appeared to be a designed run. I'm not sure if they are protecting his knee or what but I'd like to see him get outside the pocket a more.

The Titans got very predictable with their inside runs on first down. The Saints started loading the box for it and MM failed to audible out of it. I'm not sure I've ever seen him audible. Looks like he's a rookie just running whatever the plays are called. Either he doesn't have full command of the offense or the coaches haven't given him the greenlight to audible. Not sure. He seems smart enough and I didn't notice any mental mistakes yesterday. Of course, he wasn't under pressure either. In previous games he was downright bad under pressure (sacks, fumbles, etc.).

Mularkey shuffled the OL, but the OL players just aren't good. He'll see more pressure against better defenses. I did notice one play where MM was under duress and he somehow got an excellent short pass off, perfectly on target, and the receiver (McCluster?) just dropped it. It came in hot but on target. That's a good sign, considering how he crumbled under pressure in previous games.

Mularkey's play calling seemed better and maybe a bit more aggressive, which should work in MM's favor. It did get very predictable, though. Seemed like every first down was a run up the middle, too many of those being McCluster. They will have to mix it up a little more.

Note that the Titans were facing Brees without their top three cornerbacks yesterday (McCourty and Wilson inactive, Cox got hurt during the game). IF the CBs get healthy I think LeBeau's defense plus Mularkey's run-heavy offense can force some low-scoring games, so MM's fantasy production may hit-or-miss ROS.

MM talking about that flukey TD that should have been an INT. This is priceless. Talk about off-target. :lmao:

“Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. We were fortunate to be in the right spot at the right time. He (Delanie Walkericon-article-link.gif) did a great job following the ball and making the play. The stands was the target to be honest with you guys. I mean they brought a lot of pressure and honestly I was trying to throw it away. Right when I threw it I said I didn’t put enough on it. But like I said, fortunately sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good. I saw the ball bounce a few times and saw him grab it and run it in for us.”

That is maybe the fastest and most effortless release I've ever seen. Why didn't this kid go #1 again?

No good reason(s).

Week 1 overreactions seem to have cooled some.

Same with LOD and cstu's post count. Odd how that happens.
And your posts are completely predictable. Mariota, despite cooling off has done way better than your boy Winston.
Since week 1 (obviously hugely in his favor) Winston has been significantly better.
Ah yes. The "if you take out the big play, he stinks" defense. Finds support in the matter of Woz v. Tremblay,as modified by

In re Calbear.

I'd take Mariota over Winston 100 out of 100 times. Kid has a spectacular career ahead of him.

Yea same exact thing. :lmao: Rookie QBs can't get better after their first game in your world?

I believe Mariota is one of the next "generational" QBs, along with Luck. Like today's Manning and Brady.

Yea. So you stopped watching after week 1 and came back this week? He's good, but not at that level.

right now? no. But Brady wasn't "Tom Freaking Brady" his first eight games either.

"Mariota became the first quarterback in Titans franchise history to throw a game-winning touchdown pass in overtime."

that's somewhat embarrassing for the franchise.

Franchise "history" starts in 1999, and includes a lot of run-first mentality. But still somewhat surprising.

does it though? thought the records books for the franchise included the Houston Oilers.

"Mariota became the first quarterback in Titans franchise history to throw a game-winning touchdown pass in overtime."

that's somewhat embarrassing for the franchise.

Franchise "history" starts in 1999, and includes a lot of run-first mentality. But still somewhat surprising.

does it though? thought the records books for the franchise included the Houston Oilers.

You might be right, I'm not sure.

MM talking about that flukey TD that should have been an INT. This is priceless. Talk about off-target. :lmao:

“Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. We were fortunate to be in the right spot at the right time. He (Delanie Walkericon-article-link.gif) did a great job following the ball and making the play. The stands was the target to be honest with you guys. I mean they brought a lot of pressure and honestly I was trying to throw it away. Right when I threw it I said I didn’t put enough on it. But like I said, fortunately sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good. I saw the ball bounce a few times and saw him grab it and run it in for us.”

Just imagine the headlines if Tim Tebow had thrown that pass.

http://nesn.com/2015/11/titans-delanie-walker-catches-luckiest-touchdown-ever-vs-saints-video/

Has 2 more TD's than any other QB through the first 3 games of their rookie year.

The amazing thing is that he would still be tied for the most rookie TD's through his 6th game - even if he's throws zero TD's in the next 3 games.

His 13 TD's through 6 games is 4 more than the next rookie QB - Jameis Winston with 9.

I guess Winston is a smidge low then? What's normal? 1.5?

Didn't Evans set an all time NFL record for drops with like 20 last week?

Injured targets have hurt his numbers but I often think there's terrible play calls at key spots. He still looks fine to me.

The Titans and Bucs should have a nice old fashioned lob play to the WR and use it as the first play of every red zone opportunity. Even if these 5-11 S or CBs know it's coming and beat them to the spot, I still would bet on Evans, DGB, Vjax, and Hunter winning the jump ball.

Some of each team's red zone plays involve way too much movement in a tight space and it takes too darn long for all that to transpire so by the time they're passing they've got defenders all over them.

Plus, shouldn't each of these QBs have 5 rushing TDs by now? The one play where your fast QB can finish without being tackled.

Really think each team makes it wayyy too complicated.

Injured targets have hurt his numbers but I often think there's terrible play calls at key spots. He still looks fine to me.

The Titans and Bucs should have a nice old fashioned lob play to the WR and use it as the first play of every red zone opportunity. Even if these 5-11 S or CBs know it's coming and beat them to the spot, I still would bet on Evans, DGB, Vjax, and Hunter winning the jump ball.

Some of each team's red zone plays involve way too much movement in a tight space and it takes too darn long for all that to transpire so by the time they're passing they've got defenders all over them.

Plus, shouldn't each of these QBs have 5 rushing TDs by now? The one play where your fast QB can finish without being tackled.

Winston isn't exactly fast but Mariota should roll out more in RZ.

Evans, and VJax are great big targets. DGB and ASJ should become good jump ball targets. I wouldn't bet anything on Hunter.

I'm a Luck casualty and I'm thankful to scoop this guy up. I don't have to start him vs. Carolina but his upcoming schedule is about as tasty as it gets.

wk. 11 @ Jax

wk. 12 Oak

wk. 13 Jax

wk. 14 @ NYJ (injuries have made them vulnerable)

wk. 15 @ NE catchup mode

wk. 16 Houston

I could be riding out the schedule with him regardless of Luck's status.

I'm a Luck casualty and I'm thankful to scoop this guy up. I don't have to start him vs. Carolina but his upcoming schedule is about as tasty as it gets.

wk. 11 @ Jax

wk. 12 Oak

wk. 13 Jax

wk. 14 @ NYJ (injuries have made them vulnerable)

wk. 15 @ NE catchup mode

wk. 16 Houston

I could be riding out the schedule with him regardless of Luck's status.

I'm thinking of picking him up too as Tannehill and T.Taylor aren't cutting it for me--; one league owner with Brady is hording QB's --Dalton, Brees and Romo --

I believe Mariota is one of the next "generational" QBs, along with Luck. Like today's Manning and Brady.

Yea. So you stopped watching after week 1 and came back this week? He's good, but not at that level.

His potential is off the charts. You'll see.

right now? no. But Brady wasn't "Tom Freaking Brady" his first eight games either.

Exactly. And Peyton was kind of a train wreck as a rookie. What this kid has done as a rookie QB is really impressive.

I'd love to see him march these guys out and lead them to a win over CAR this week.

Winston was 26 of 43 for 287 yards 2 TDs and 4 INTs versus the Panthers. The INTs was his off game this year.

IMO If Mariota can mirror that with only one INT, the Titans have a real chance.

I think the Panthers have the worst WRs in football this decade and somehow Cam uses them well so...I couldn't be any more wrong predicting Cam to take a fall this year.

If I were a GM, I'd cut CBs because of Cam. Ginn ran deep every play and you were surprised he went deep on you? clean out your locker

90 year old Cotchery got 5 catches against you...see ya

He's been incredible this year but on paper, the Titans having the third best passing defense seems like they could matchup OK

I wanted to roll him out until Luck comes back but man, if Delaney doesn't catch it, no one seems to. The WRs just blow right now. The increase in rushing is nice though.

He's starting to look a bit Alex Smith-y to me.

Alex Smith, really? Alex Smith has started 122 games. He has thrown for more than 3 TDs twice; it took Mariota 6 games to accomplish that. Mariota is a full yard per attempt higher than Smith's career numbers, and two yards per attempt higher than Smith's rookie year. Marcus' passer rating as a rookie is higher than 9 of Smith's 10 seasons.

I mean, really, I can't imagine a worse comparison. Maybe to Jamarcus Russell.

It's really hard to groom a young QB with Harry Douglas as WR1 and DGB as WR2 and then... no one.

at least he has Walker.

Alex Smith's WRs are significantly better than Tennessee. Let that sink in for a minute.

and for most of the last couple years Smith has had Charles. MM is a rookie on a bad team with Delanie Walker currently his go-to guy. Yet he's still above average among starters, in virtually every stat.

Alex Smith, really? Alex Smith has started 122 games. He has thrown for more than 3 TDs twice; it took Mariota 6 games to accomplish that. Mariota is a full yard per attempt higher than Smith's career numbers, and two yards per attempt higher than Smith's rookie year. Marcus' passer rating as a rookie is higher than 9 of Smith's 10 seasons.

Go compare Winston to Leftwich and :popcorn:

He is just fishing for a response from ctsu or the other Winston bashers. Why can't both Mariota and Winston be good quarterbacks? It doesn't need to be one or the other. The Titans offensive play calling is not helping Mariota. If they had some quality wide receivers and spread the field it would behoove him. That said, he looked good to me last night and better than Bortlea despite not having any wide receivers.

Lots of people have compared his skill set to that of Smith for a while now.

Ummmm....no

Ummmm....no

they have compared him to Colin Kaepernick; which isn't a ringing endorsement.

Ummmm....no
Yes and they don't do it in a bad way.

Ummmm....no
Yes and they don't do it in a bad way.

I never heard this. Odd tangent.

I have Zero worry he'll become Alex Smith.

Totally completely think he is special and one of the few that are going to live up to draft hype.

People disagreed with me in the game thread when I didn't like his fake. Later in the game he had a beaut. He's starting to run some. I think quite literally he can do it all and it's not just a common phrase. Throw a real QB guru at him and some polish and he will quickly be a top NFL QB or at least top FF QB before top NFL QB.

Back to Alex for a sec, I think he's far better than Alex right now. That guy has been a game manager for like 8-10 years in this league and...yeah I think the rook is better. Give him a little bit of time and he'll improve past some of the gifted passers too

Ummmm....no

And also comped to Aaron Rodgers and while he's not there of course he's looks like he's closer to having the ability to get to that kind of level than regress down to Smith or Kaepernick levels.

Ummmm....no

And also comped to Aaron Rodgers and while he's not there of course he's looks like he's closer to having the ability to get to that kind of level than regress down to Smith or Kaepernick levels.

I think of him more as a rich man's Kaepernick or what Kaepernick could be if he had elite accuracy