What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

The team announced Marcus would have surgery in a few days, then took that back, then put it up again.

He is definitely having surgery and a plate inserted to stabilize the bone.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Marcus-Mariota’s-recovery-timetable-“4-5-months”/7b77231b-7a90-4da8-9d56-8e88df597487

This (44 seconds) sounds like the Raiders are too rushed with Carr, but what do I know. It's presented as "you're going to see two different timetables but..." so naturally I get that viewpoint from the lead-in but even still....Doc what do you think? Guessing from this info?

http://www.titansonline.com/video/videos/Garafolo-Mariota-Will-Need-4-5-Months-to-Recover/cc9c2d37-e0fd-4a0a-86ae-51691596196f
I have time later today to watch these, so I will respond then. But yeah you will see two different time tables depending on the surgery. Since he is having surgery to fix it, that does speed things up a little because there will be some greater stability to the fracture site that will allow for earlier weight bearing. Like I said in the lockett thread... in my experience about 80% of regular folks have hardware removed at some point because it is bothering them. This is usually more common down in the ankle area as there are more tendons there. This isn't as true with other body parts. That usually doesn't happen until a year later. I'm not sure what this means for Marcus but just thought I'd throw that out there just as an FYI. Doesn't mean it will bother him and maybe his fracture his higher and not a cause for as much concern with this. 

EDIT: Looks like I have an opening now...

The article is intriguing. Bob Anderson is a great surgeon. I wouldn't expect it to be anything less than an excellent surgery. His mobility won't be impacted but his ability to be mobile might be a little slow to start the season. This is a much better scenario than I painted earlier. I had assumed no surgery needed, however that also means the break was pretty bad. 

In regard to Carr's timeline... that's absolutely asinine. 4-6 weeks sure the bone can heal but again, I quote myself from the Dez thread:

There are stages of bone healing... 

Inflammation stage (1 week)

Healing/Callus (3-4 weeks)
A callus is basically what I refer to as "sloppy" or "unorganized bone" just put down quickly to stop further damage. Think a piece of gum to stop a leak. Patients with a full break usually are toe touch or partial weight bearing. This will stop further damage but can be easily damaged/broken again or worse

Proliferation/Hard Callus (3-4 months)
The callus is replaced by woven bone. This is harder than callus bone and can withstand greater forces. It's not perfect, but this is when people can do a lot of full weight bearing

Remodeling (6-12+ months)
This is where the woven bone is replaced by lamellar bone, which is bascially what un-injured bone is.

All fractures heal differently. A small fracture like this would reasonably take less time. Depends what the actual fracture looks like (spiral vs linear) and how long it is. 
Also there's a risk of making the hairline fracture worse and then he would miss even more time. 
This is why I wasn't surprised at all when Rodgers missed almost 2 months with a fractured collar bone. Everyone was calling him a slow healer. False. 
I just don't see it happening but maybe his break wasn't that bad... it seemed to be. Granted, the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone for the most part so I guess it's possible, but not real smart for obvious reasons...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Bri
FUBAR said:
Not to get all "granola" here but his surfing helps - strong core, efficient movement.  Makes things look easy.  Often I'd watch and want him to get down or out of bounds to not get hit, but he just kept going, usually avoiding the big hit.

yeah he slides sometimes but then others are like "why didn't you slide?"

The ones that bug me are when he has 2 or 3 defenders about to get him, oh so obvious and unavoidable, yet he tries to get away. He always limps or looks banged up after. Just go down.

I don't know what the rule is anymore. When Brady was purposely taking sacks like this, they called almost anything other than touching him to be a penalty. He'd drop into a kneeling sort of fetal position and oh I didn't like the penalty calls. If that still exists though, let Mariota do that. Then he'll have the motivation to stay healthy plus 15 yards.

Doc, others, just to update

Mariota will be on his scooter. Video here http://www.tennessean.com/videos/sports/nfl/titans/2016/12/30/marcus-mariota-returns-titans-practice/96015438/ few seconds in, not long. 

Today it's worded as he will be on his scooter for 8 weeks. I think this lends to what doc said above and Mariota the person. He won't be "sitting still" lying around.

He wasn't expected at the facility that day, flew back from Charlotte. He was supposed to rest after surgery and about be home whining with pain killers.

At the game, they wouldn't let him on the sidelines. He was in the pressbox, although others have said he did make it to the sideline eventually. I didn't notice and figured TV would have showed that. So idk if that happened....anywho...

8 weeks in Hawaii and they told his family he must use the scooter. (kind of heh to do that but shows how anxious he is)

After 8 weeks he will be at Titans facility with their trainers for four weeks, then he can go back to Hawaii. He has scripted some water PT with someone in Hawaii. He's stoic so it's hard to tell, but my guess is he didn't want to be doing the rehab at the team's facility.

He's not really expected back til May or June and expected to be excused from a bunch. So he'll be there for the month of March and come back after a couple month's PT in Hawaii.

Lewan and Walker have said "it's a thing" to go visit Marcus in Hawaii. Apparently, everyone wants to(my friend lives in a great vacation spot) so his teammates aren't worried of him overdoing anything. They'll be around to keep an eye on him and have some fun

Today at the presser Mularkey repeated the 8 weeks non weight bearing. That would it with water PT and potentially crutches over time

PK wrote

Mike Mularkey says he texted with Marcus Mariota last night and saw video of him on a pool treadmill. Quarterback's recovery is on schedule. Team plans to be "very cautious" and likely hold him out until camp. Mularkey is on 104.5 The Zone studio visiting with The Midday 180.

I'm just pointing out that the season starts in 9 months... and he'll be lucky to be running, cutting (at full speed) in half that time depending on how bad the break is. jumping, squatting/weight lifting is a completely different timeline... 
Seems about right on schedule. Good news for him. I still expect to see a different kind of player at least to start the season. It'll be very interesting.

I think in this thread (maybe another) I was very negative on Mariota and may have even called him a "gimmick QB." At this point I will take those words back. Mariota is an intriguing QB with a lot of different talents. I wish he didn't get hurt because he'd probably have climbed to the top of my buy list for the year for QBs. I'm just not sure. 

He starts running soon, which is awesome. But let's consider it'd be roughly 5 months since he ran on that leg. Sure he's been lifting weights so he should be strong, but how much agility has he lost? IMO that's one of his biggest assets. 

Still on the fence on his prognosis for the season. At least the first month or so. 

Titans.com’s Jim Wyatt wouldn’t rule out Marcus Mariota (leg) sitting the entire preseason.
This is speculative with Mariotas still in the early stages of his recovery, but the Titans have said they aren’t going to rush him. Assuming he’s healthy, it would be surprising if Mariota didn't get live reps with rookie additions Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, and Jonnu Smith. Mariota’s Week 1 status isn’t in doubt.

Source: titansonline.com 
May 13 - 6:15 PM

Titans.com’s Jim Wyatt wouldn’t rule out Marcus Mariota (leg) sitting the entire preseason.
This is speculative with Mariotas still in the early stages of his recovery, but the Titans have said they aren’t going to rush him. Assuming he’s healthy, it would be surprising if Mariota didn't get live reps with rookie additions Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, and Jonnu Smith. Mariota’s Week 1 status isn’t in doubt.

Source: titansonline.com 
May 13 - 6:15 PM
:excited:

Although if he sits out the whole preseason, I'd bump rishard in redraft, and Davis down a tad - or just temper expectations for the first couple months. 

Titans coach Mike Mularkey is trying to find ways to get Marcus Mariota (leg) on the field for OTAs.

Mariota isn't able to run at full speed yet but Mularkey still wants him to get reps so he can build chemistry with some of the team's newcomers including first-round pick Corey Davis. One way the Titans can accomplish that is by using Mariota in 7-on-7 drills. "That’s one way to be able to do it without a rush in his face and having to move," said Mularkey. "We’re working on other ways to get the work done." Mariota is still on track for Week 1.

Source: Nashville Tennessean 
May 14 - 11:26 AM

According to Paul Kuharsky of 104.5 The Zone, Marcus Mariota (leg) has done "everything" the past two weeks.

Mariota has been limited throughout the offseason while recovering from a broken leg but it looks like he's finally back to 100 percent. Ten pounds lighter and equipped with the best receiving corps he's ever had, Mariota should be in for a breakout season. Fantasy owners have been drafting him in the QB7-12 range.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Facebook 

Jul 21 - 1:14 PM

Marcus Mariota plans to play at 215 pounds this season.

Mariota came out of Oregon at 222 and is listed at that weight on the Titans' website. The team told him to bulk up to the 225-230 range this year, but Mariota instead opted to side with his personal trainer and instead cut weight. The thinking is that Mariota will be faster and more elusive to avoid hits, but 215 is borderline-fragile for an NFL quarterback and could make Mariota even more prone to injury if he does get squared up for a big hit by a defender. It will be interesting to see if the Titans force him to put on weight during camp.

Source: Oregon Live 

Jul 24 - 9:45 PM

Just an FYI and nowhere really to put this on the board. Tua was not given a redshirt and Saban said they are going to need him. He is the one that Mariota's high school coach said is better than Mariota. IIRC he was a four star recruit. He's outstanding on youtube for a high school kid. He throws a weird ball. It's like a baseball curve ball and just drops right in there so smoothly. Ya gotta see it to believe it. He is also ambidextrous but prefers left. He can run and has the same Mariota hawaiian demeanor.

I know there's a very small contingent at FBGs that can draft college players and sit n wait til they play in the NFL. I would totally get this guy, even before he plays a snap in college. I don't think I've ever said this before. 

Alabama has an excellent young QB in Hurts, but....telling ya, go draft Tua if you're one of the few that can do so. For next year's summer draft, he will probably be a name people know. 

Google, youtube....I bet you'll feel the same after like a half hour of research. It won't take long

Here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705180-tua-tagovailoa-dazzles-at-alabama-spring-game-but-jalen-hurts-job-remains-safe

The opening presser was pretty much everyone praising everyone and looking forward to this season. Decker said Mariota throws an unbelievable ball and it's been a pleasure to get to know him. 

The other thing is Mularkey hinted that they could make a switch from their 2/3 TE offense to a 3 WR or pro set. Mariota's value will increase dramatically if they change their offensive style. This was very surprising for Mularkey but he has been older and wiser with the Titans. He'd have shoved a square peg in this round hole in Buffalo or Jacksonville. He said that Phillip Supernaw has the chance to have a significant role in this offense and if he can't then we'll have to find something else for him to do. He said they're not going to force things and will go with what works. The Titans have gone from Craig Stevens being the best blocking TE in the NFL for years, to Fasano being graded best by PFF last year, to....2017. Supernaw is a fine backup tight end, he's no best blocker type. 

Mariota fans should be giddy. Those interested in acquiring him should act now. Due to their lack of good players previously and the 2/3TE offense, the Titans O hasn't been thought of fondly for FF since Warren Moon. 

Changed today:(from Titans site)

The Titans have liked what they’ve seen in quarterback Marcus Mariota in his recovery from last year’s surgery on a fractured fibula.

Mariota said earlier this week he feels great and is ready to be turned loose and “will be ready to go with everything.”

Mularkey said Mariota has been cleared, but he’ll be eased into some drills.

“We are not going to just send him out there and have at it,” Mularkey said. “He’s still going to have some limited reps, not as much as he had in the offseason camps, but it is not going to be like he’s been healthy the whole time. We are going to watch him.”

Really like the possibility of being able to draft this guy if I miss out on Rodgers/Brees/Brady/Newton/Luck/Carr. IMO Mariota could very well be a QB1 this year in most leagues.

I am this guys biggest fan this year.

Man crushing on his soon to be greatness HARD. Silent on him right now, especially with how many weapons he has now. 

Davis

Mathews

Decker

Walker

Sharpe

The RBs

That is a bunch of artillery. 

I am this guys biggest fan this year.

Man crushing on his soon to be greatness HARD. Silent on him right now, especially with how many weapons he has now. 

Davis

Mathews

Decker

Walker

Sharpe

The RBs

That is a bunch of artillery. 
:no: :boxing:

Marcus Mariota completed 12-of-21 passes for 193 yards and a touchdown while adding two rushes for 12 yards Sunday in the Titans’ third preseason game.

Mariota was also sacked twice for a loss of 12 yards. He looked erratic at times and nearly gifted an interception to B.W. Webb on a third-quarter misfire. Mariota had very little success throwing the deep ball on Sunday, though he was much better in play-action. Obviously the Titans felt he needed some reps as Mariota played into the fourth quarter before finally handing the reigns to Matt Cassell. In fairness, Mariota was playing without two of his top receivers, Eric Decker and Corey Davis. The third-year signal caller is in the QB1 conversation.

Not loving this matchup this week.

Lot of experts seem to be blindly rolling Mariota out there against a D that a) generated 10 sacks last week, and b) sent Mariota to the hospital last year.

Lot of experts seem to be blindly rolling Mariota out there against a D that a) generated 10 sacks last week, and b) sent Mariota to the hospital last year.
JRob has done Mariota's protection perfectly. They've got arguably the best line and bookends, PFFs top rated full back, and nice weapons to dump to. 

He's gotta execute and they have to call the right plays

I think we'll see Taylor and Murray as receivers more if they can pressure. Those two can take a dump pass to the house and the Jags would have to adjust a bit.

The Titans should be able to run on the Jags and the Jags on them. It's totally possible this is a snoozer.

Titans did fine with Mack and Irvin. Mack held them to -1 yards rushing to the right, but otherwise they did well. I'm not gonna say Campbell is better than Mack and Irvin. They're gonna have Watt and Clowney soon. Their division got much better the last two years and it looks like this is the new norm

Yeah a little surprised he's still being called a top 5 play this week

Yeah a little surprised he's still being called a top 5 play this week
Tennessees OLine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Houston OLine

Tennessee Pass Catchers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Houston Pass Catchers

Tennessee QB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Houston QB

Thats about it. 

Not loving Mariota's stats last year in the final game of the season at Jacksonville.

Tennessees OLine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Houston OLine

Tennessee Pass Catchers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Houston Pass Catchers

Tennessee QB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Houston QB

Thats about it. 
Yeah.  Isn't tn playing Jax?

So what are Mariota owners doing now...............?   :wall:

I have him in 3/4 leagues, and was super high on him all preseason.

I  know its "just a hammy", but my concern is if they try and rush him back it may linger all season, then POOF , there goes his rushing. I am seriously thinking about an outright cut in 1-2 of these leagues, to help preserve some RB depth I have. (and that is dwindling after the injuries today)

Streaming is never a fun thing at QB for me, but its looking like I might be forced into that soon.

I'm surprised no one here has even posted about this.

TZM

Just saw the play. Didnt look awful. He dove for the pylon to get the TD. Got up, high fived teammates, then sat on bench. Definitely concerning, but cant be catastrophic. My guess..definitely out next week. Has 3 games and the bye. At worst comes back after bye: week 9. 

Can't even believe I am typing this... but is Matt Cassel a viable starter this week @ MIA?  There really aren't any good options on the WW in the league I have Mariota (other QB is Bradford). 

TZMarkie said:
 So what are Mariota owners doing now...............?   :wall:

I have him in 3/4 leagues, and was super high on him all preseason.

I  know its "just a hammy", but my concern is if they try and rush him back it may linger all season, then POOF , there goes his rushing. I am seriously thinking about an outright cut in 1-2 of these leagues, to help preserve some RB depth I have. (and that is dwindling after the injuries today)

Streaming is never a fun thing at QB for me, but its looking like I might be forced into that soon.

I'm surprised no one here has even posted about this.

TZM

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I wanna hold on to the guy but its not like he's been lights-out so far. Gonna try and figure out a way to keep him rostered depending on the WW but streaming might be in my near future. 

As far as this weekend goes I can't see myself starting him even if he plays. His legs are a big part of his game and if he isn't as mobile I'd rather stream another option and wait for him to get better. 

Can't even believe I am typing this... but is Matt Cassel a viable starter this week @ MIA?  There really aren't any good options on the WW in the league I have Mariota (other QB is Bradford). 
I have same 2 qbs and thought about Trubisky. 

No way in hell will I play Cassell unless it's literally the only option. 

As far as this weekend goes I can't see myself starting him even if he plays. His legs are a big part of his game and if he isn't as mobile I'd rather stream another option and wait for him to get better. 
Well it's not like he's down with disease, but hopefully he doesn't come out looking like the sloth on Sunday....either way I'm sure he'll be bouncing around the room in no time.

Well it's not like he's down with disease, but hopefully he doesn't come out looking like the sloth on Sunday....either way I'm sure he'll be bouncing around the room in no time.
Mularkey pretty much said the same thing with D. Murray's hammy. Straight shooter on injuries. Nobody believed he would start. In fact many thought it was a given he would re-aggravate (especially D. Henry owners). Then he started and ripped off a 75 yard TD run.

If Mariota is starting I'm playing him.

Last word is that Mariota is day-to-day with a strained hamstring.

He came out of the game, but this is the kind of injury that, while easily re-injured (especially by skill positions like WRs/RBs) seems manageable for a QB.

Mularkey is on record saying that he won't divulge more about potential status until Wednesday, and with the Titans taking off Monday and Mariota likely not practicing today, we're not going to know much going into to Week 5's waiver period.

Mariota owners -- what are you doing? You may have a comfort in your #2 QB, but if not, what are you thinking of doing?

I've stashed Luck for later in the season, so if Mariota doesn't play, I need to scramble for a replacement (and make some seriously hard decisions on who to drop in a short bench league). 14 teamer, so not tons of talent on the wire, but eyeing Manning. Not sure whether to burn a waiver move on it or wait until later in the week to understand if Mariota plays.

How are others approaching this?

Last word is that Mariota is day-to-day with a strained hamstring.

He came out of the game, but this is the kind of injury that, while easily re-injured (especially by skill positions like WRs/RBs) seems manageable for a QB.

Mularkey is on record saying that he won't divulge more about potential status until Wednesday, and with the Titans taking off Monday and Mariota likely not practicing today, we're not going to know much going into to Week 5's waiver period.

You misrepresented the injury timing. He played after the injury. He wanted to go in after halftime. Texans had a long 8 minute back breaking drive to take away hope and then Mularkey decided to be smart and sit him.

The Titans and many teams are off Tuesday. Monday is film day, meeting day, time with the trainer, and essentially a non-workout day.

Mariota runs faster than many RBs and WRs

There will not be an update Wednesday. Mularkey has already stated that Mariota will get Wednesday off

Users who are viewing this thread