What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

You misrepresented the injury timing. He played after the injury. He wanted to go in after halftime. Texans had a long 8 minute back breaking drive to take away hope and then Mularkey decided to be smart and sit him.

The Titans and many teams are off Tuesday. Monday is film day, meeting day, time with the trainer, and essentially a non-workout day.

Mariota runs faster than many RBs and WRs

There will not be an update Wednesday. Mularkey has already stated that Mariota will get Wednesday off
Great additional color, Bri -- thanks. To be fair, all I said was that he came out of the game, so not trying to misrepresent anything.

Not sure how Mariota's 4.48 40 time is comparative to WRs and RBs -- that's not the focus of my point, but rather that even while Mariota is a good running QB, I figure a guy whose job it is to run (RBs, WRs) need their legs more are much more likely to re-injure than a QB, where game management can help limit his running.

Mariota is a self-proclaimed fast healer, too, so not sure how that affects his ability to deal with this.

More or less just trying to get a bead on what owners are planning on doing approaching waiver period knowing that we won't know anything until Wednesday (when Mularkey has said he will provide more updates about his status -- I assume that's regardless if he practices or not).

Titans signed Brandon Weeden

Already people are saying that means Mariota is out.

Their 3rd string QB Tyler Ferguson, on the PS, barely threw the ball his senior year in college. He was a camp arm that they kept. He was not good and they barely let him play in preseason. 

I'm not jumping anywhere with this news, but you're welcome to think on it however ya want

I don't want to overanalyze a picture but I don't want to ignore it either

http://www.titansonline.com/photos/photo-gallery/Tennessee-Titans-Practice-10-4-17/50fe3ea5-d8ac-4301-9118-500e8eea2a9d#e08c17b5-474f-4d0f-92b1-cef3ef923655

My opinion- No one with a badly hurt hammy can kneel like that. Yours...let's not make too much of this

One other thing. The practice reps are WIDELY misreported today because people mis-spoke

Cassel took MOST of the first team reps. Mariota took SOME. Weeden worked with a mixture, first and second. 

Titans signed Brandon Weeden

Already people are saying that means Mariota is out.

Their 3rd string QB Tyler Ferguson, on the PS, barely threw the ball his senior year in college. He was a camp arm that they kept. He was not good and they barely let him play in preseason. 

I'm not jumping anywhere with this news, but you're welcome to think on it however ya want
:wall:

Weeden does nothing for the Titans. Not to bring politics into this thread but I really wish they'd have signed Kap if they needed a QB. if they just needed someone "just in case" Marcus isn't ready but they think he will be able to go, therefore they wanted to avoid becoming front page news, I get that. But if they actually need weeden, that's disappointing.

Eta : actually maybe I'm thinking too much worst case.  If this were season threatening I'd want Kap more than if this is a one week signing.

Last edited by a moderator:
:wall:

Weeden does nothing for the Titans. Not to bring politics into this thread but I really wish they'd have signed Kap if they needed a QB. if they just needed someone "just in case" Marcus isn't ready but they think he will be able to go, therefore they wanted to avoid becoming front page news, I get that. But if they actually need weeden, that's disappointing.

Eta : actually maybe I'm thinking too much worst case.  If this were season threatening I'd want Kap more than if this is a one week signing.
If Weeden sees the field it's because both Mariota and Cassell are out. Nothing stops them from picking up Kaep then

NREC34 said:
The culture and political preference of Tennessee is the only reason he's not on the team right now IMO. 
Zach Brown has been excellent since leaving the Titans. If they wanted a me first person, he'd be on the team

Rain possible. No chance Mariota plays in rain.

Otherwise, still limited, did a little more today than yesterday. 

Much the same news. Mariota insists he can play and is ready to but the staff still says they will be smart.

My opinion- Mularkey is full of Mularkey when he said he'd never use Mariota as an emergency QB. Why not? My guess is they'll start Cassel and use Mariota as the emergency QB. If they can't sustain a grind it out rushing attack or if Cutler is lighting up their secondary, then Mariota will play the second half. Hopefully they can rest MM8 but if it's not working, he'll be their fallback plan.

They have a difficult schedule for them. Most Titans fans are used to a 2,3,4 win type schedule. They were 8-8. These are three easy games for them and then it gets tough again. They need these three wins. They'll have Luck's return(they've never beaten him) and the Steelers and....they need these three Ws.

Mularkey was pretty straightforward when it came to D. Murray's hammy. He kept saying we'll see how he feels when he wakes up Sunday morning. Murray was then active and then ripped off a 75 yard TD.

If Mularkey says Mariota is ok, he's active, and he starts, it will be hard not to start him. Mularkey seems like a straight shooter when it comes to injuries.

Mularkey was pretty straightforward when it came to D. Murray's hammy. He kept saying we'll see how he feels when he wakes up Sunday morning. Murray was then active and then ripped off a 75 yard TD.

If Mularkey says Mariota is ok, he's active, and he starts, it will be hard not to start him. Mularkey seems like a straight shooter when it comes to injuries.
Agreed. But I'm probably starting ty Taylor instead :bag: most people with decent options should look elsewhere this week.

No he wasn't. He's been different this year

Agreed. But I'm probably starting ty Taylor instead :bag: most people with decent options should look elsewhere this week.
Have D. Watson waiting in the wings. 

Just read somewhere that MM's hammy is similar to what D. Murray was dealing with.

I don't know if coaches really know what they're getting themselves a lot of the time. And coaches face real criticism when they put players on the field and they get reinjured.

So I have Luck and MM... laboring over who to drop to grab a streamer to be ready for sunday..
Drop Luck. Nobody really knows when he'll be ready.

And why does everyone just assume he'll be an elite QB when he does return? Guy is the most overvalued real life QB ever.

kyoun1e said:
Drop Luck. Nobody really knows when he'll be ready.

And why does everyone just assume he'll be an elite QB when he does return? Guy is the most overvalued real life QB ever.
Luck should be ready for the Titans game

I have Mariota and Bradford.  My plan is to start Mariota if he is active and move him to IR slot if he is inactive and pick up McCown against CLE.  The only flaw in that thinking is if Mariota is active but doesn't start (setting aside the risk of reinjury). @Bri how likely is it that Mariota will be active but not start?

I have Mariota and Bradford.  My plan is to start Mariota if he is active and move him to IR slot if he is inactive and pick up McCown against CLE.  The only flaw in that thinking is if Mariota is active but doesn't start (setting aside the risk of reinjury). @Bri how likely is it that Mariota will be active but not start?
Mularkey said he would not be the emergency QB. I disagreed above, but that is what he said

Bri - I know you follow this team as close as any. All the opinions are appreciated.

I am heavily invested in Mariota, as I  got him in 3 OF 4  money leagues this year. (and the only reason I didn't acquire in the 4th, was to "diversify")

I just can't pull the trigger on him this week. I believe even in the event he starts, the possibility of him being yanked out, or possibly re-injuring his hamstring, is more gamble than I want to invest in.  I was fortunate to get Palmer twice, Watson and I had Carson Wentz stashed in another.

I know you guys want to chuck him out there for the upside, but the real risk of what may be a 5-10 point game, isn't worth it to me.

I don't know why the Titans wouldn't bench him this one game, then have him (hopefully???) healthy for the next couple great matchups. (Unless they consider this a "must-win")

TZM

Bri - I know you follow this team as close as any. All the opinions are appreciated.

I am heavily invested in Mariota, as I  got him in 3 OF 4  money leagues this year. (and the only reason I didn't acquire in the 4th, was to "diversify")

I just can't pull the trigger on him this week. I believe even in the event he starts, the possibility of him being yanked out, or possibly re-injuring his hamstring, is more gamble than I want to invest in.  I was fortunate to get Palmer twice, Watson and I had Carson Wentz stashed in another.

I know you guys want to chuck him out there for the upside, but the real risk of what may be a 5-10 point game, isn't worth it to me.

I don't know why the Titans wouldn't bench him this one game, then have him (hopefully???) healthy for the next couple great matchups. (Unless they consider this a "must-win")

TZM
I'm not starting him either

We've spent a lot of time discussing whether he'll play but the other side is that hammy's flare up so there's a somewhat favorable chance he's pulled even. 

It's their tougher schedule (going from one of the worst teams to a .500 team schedule) and how these three games almost have to be wins

Rap sheet reporting this is a 2-4 week injury. Not good. 

What a joke. Been waiting for these cupcake matchups -- @MIA, Indy, @CLE.

After that: Bye week then Balt D.

Grrrrrr.

How big of a hit to Rishard Matthews with Cassel starting? He's ranked #25 WR but I'm not sure if Cassel is baked into that.

Mariota is killing me. Should be a set and forget player with a stretch of great matchups, but have been carrying 3 QBs to manage his status (to be fair, one of them is Luck who I picked up as a QB lotto ticket, but precisely because of Mariota not exactly being consistent this year).

Now we have a day to day situation again this week that likely won’t be resolved until Monday given the MNF game. 

In my gut, I know he plays this week given the time and the limited practices he’s been able to put in. 

But with a fantasy game on the line, not being able to have any other last minute options, not sure it’s a risk I am willing to play. 

So dammit I’m probably sitting him again this week.

Frustrating.

Mariota is killing me. Should be a set and forget player with a stretch of great matchups, but have been carrying 3 QBs to manage his status (to be fair, one of them is Luck who I picked up as a QB lotto ticket, but precisely because of Mariota not exactly being consistent this year).

Now we have a day to day situation again this week that likely won’t be resolved until Monday given the MNF game. 

In my gut, I know he plays this week given the time and the limited practices he’s been able to put in. 

But with a fantasy game on the line, not being able to have any other last minute options, not sure it’s a risk I am willing to play. 

Frustrating.
Yeah, I'm trying to burn a roster spot and waiver pick by picking up Cassell. :wall: doesn't help that my other QBs are keenum and ty Taylor (with a bye). 

Frustrating.
My gut says he doesnt play...and if he does play..no way i would risk starting him fresh off a hammy inj. I would love it if he plays and kills it. But im not risking this week. If he starts, plays 5 min and pulls up lame...i cant survive the goose egg. I hope he plays and is healthy for next week but this week im not starting him

I think he plays this week. Schefter or Ian saying it was a 2-4 week injury was out of left field. He's been day to day since he got hurt. Technically Monday night will be two weeks and a day since his hammy pull so the person will be correct, but FFers think of FF weeks and don't think like that.

As I said somewhere else here, MM8 was leaping for passes in warmups and playing something like tag with Lewan. Fans that went to Miami were annoyed he wasn't playing after seeing him move like that. 

Considering picking up Jacoby Brisset so I can play either on MNF, but right now I have Palmer going against TB at home so I'll probably stick with that.

Anyone else trying to grab Jacoby?

Thing is if Mariota plays I'll feel forced to start him, and that hammy could linger.

Considering picking up Jacoby Brisset so I can play either on MNF, but right now I have Palmer going against TB at home so I'll probably stick with that.

Thing is if Mariota plays I'll feel forced to start him, and that hammy could linger.
Someone grabbed him a couple weeks ago in my league or that would be a good thought. 

I do expect a good defensive effort from the Titans at home on a prime time division game though so I would consider that as well.  

My gut says he doesnt play...and if he does play..no way i would risk starting him fresh off a hammy inj. I would love it if he plays and kills it. But im not risking this week. If he starts, plays 5 min and pulls up lame...i cant survive the goose egg. I hope he plays and is healthy for next week but this week im not starting him
Apparently he was willing go last week but was denied by the coach and trainers. And he’s not exactly fresh off the injury as it happened about 2 wks ago.

If he had a Sunday game and we knew he was starting, I’d actually throw him in there, knowing that the rush yards you get from him as a starting QB wouldn’t be there.

Now, if you argued that Mariota’s value as a fantasy QB1 is totally dependent upon those rush yards he gets, I may not entirely disagree. ;)

Apparently he was willing go last week but was denied by the coach and trainers. And he’s not exactly fresh off the injury as it happened about 2 wks ago.

If he had a Sunday game and we knew he was starting, I’d actually throw him in there, knowing that the rush yards you get from him as a starting QB wouldn’t be there.

Now, if you argued that Mariota’s value as a fantasy QB1 is totally dependent upon those rush yards he gets, I may not entirely disagree. ;)
 I dont think they were even considering playing him last week, considering they immediately signed cassell.  They wanted the Fins to keep guessing. LAst week was a definite no-go. This is the questionable week. Next week he becomes playable. But ..i said it as soon as it happened... They will wait til after the bye

I dont think they were even considering playing him last week, considering they immediately signed cassell.  They wanted the Fins to keep guessing. LAst week was a definite no-go. This is the questionable week. Next week he becomes playable. But ..i said it as soon as it happened... They will wait til after the bye
Season is on the line and close to slipping away. I think he plays if he's healed enough. They know they can't win with Cassel. 

Season is on the line and close to slipping away. I think he plays if he's healed enough. They know they can't win with Cassel. 
I agree. Exactly what i said. He may play this week. I just dont trust him this week. Here is the worst case scenario: He plays..1stQ he scrambles..and pulls up lame. They pull him from the game. I get a big fat zero...and take an L. All im saying is that I would need 1 full game before i start him, thats all. IF ur pressed and need to start him..ON a MONDAY night game...go ahead and take the risk. If he is a last minute sit...so screwed 

I agree. Exactly what i said. He may play this week. I just dont trust him this week. Here is the worst case scenario: He plays..1stQ he scrambles..and pulls up lame. They pull him from the game. I get a big fat zero...and take an L. All im saying is that I would need 1 full game before i start him, thats all. IF ur pressed and need to start him..ON a MONDAY night game...go ahead and take the risk. If he is a last minute sit...so screwed 
It appears that you said they'd wait on the bye. 

And they've had Cassel on the team for like 2 years. They just signed Weeden. 

If you have a decent option to play someone else that's probably a smart thing to do so you don't take the risk of a zero. 

I just happen to have Brissett since I picked him up for his matchup last week vs. SF. I’m comfortable enough with this matchup to throw him in there again if Mariota can’t go. 

It appears that you said they'd wait on the bye. 

And they've had Cassel on the team for like 2 years. They just signed Weeden. 

If you have a decent option to play someone else that's probably a smart thing to do so you don't take the risk of a zero. 
you are correct. thanks

Fascinating to hear Pagano say the Titans O was "short n sweet" last week. Probably Mike and Terry making Matt's job as simple as can be. He has no doubt Cassel knows the offense, but last week was "short n sweet" like they did in Brissett's first game.

He does NOT expect Cassel to play. He could see how Mularkey could turn him down once to give him time to heal but not twice

You sound certain Mariota will play

I've known Mike for years and plenty other coaches around the league. I've never seen one sit their quarterback two weeks(to heal up). How about you? You've been a reporter a long time. Have you ever seen it?

No I can't think of any, that's a good point

Yeah I'm not buying it

Also during interview- Can't recall a DL ever being tripled teamed as often as Casey is. Named bunch of famous players all 'two-manned' with maybe a back behind. After signing two former Titans, he said he called Mularkey and said he'd gladly take Casey off his hands too. 

Mularkey said Mariota did more than he did last week. Must prove his mobility

Mariota said he's doing better and it's been a dream of his to play on MNF since he was a little kid

My guess is he plays. There's a lot of stuff going on all week for MNF. Everyone really wants to "put on a good show" since they haven't been on for a while. Mularkey said he had to move better and everyone says he moved around. Mularkey has gone from "we're gonna be smart with him" to "we're gonna be very smart with him" and some are taking his 'very' as an increase of concern. 

Reporters were banned from practices this year but let in this week. National reporters there. Everyone mentioned something like cleaning or fixing this or testing that. They're giving t-shirts away, mailed out free concession coupons...there's a whole lot of "making things shiny for the big game."

My guess is he plays. There's a lot of stuff going on all week for MNF. Everyone really wants to "put on a good show" since they haven't been on for a while. Mularkey said he had to move better and everyone says he moved around. Mularkey has gone from "we're gonna be smart with him" to "we're gonna be very smart with him" and some are taking his 'very' as an increase of concern. 

Reporters were banned from practices this year but let in this week. National reporters there. Everyone mentioned something like cleaning or fixing this or testing that. They're giving t-shirts away, mailed out free concession coupons...there's a whole lot of "making things shiny for the big game."
Plus they need a W to keep up with Houston - and they can't afford to open the door to IND, so this is a must win game.

I think I'm going to keep him in my lineup but it's giving me anxiety. 

Users who are viewing this thread