What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (6 Viewers)

timschochet said:
Chadstroma said:
This debacle is a godsend for the GOP.

It sucks for the country but if you are looking at it purely as some GOP politician looking to gain or keep an elected office, you have to secretly love this massive mistake.
I doubt this. I continue to believe the Tea Party antics hurt the Republicans far worse than Obamacare hurts the Democrats. But we'll see in a few months...
You mean the antics of wanting a one year delay of the ACA so that the administration could fix this mess before rolling it out to the public? I think voters are going to read things a little differently than you think
You may very well be right. I wrote that last night before reading that NBC News article. That opened my eyes. I think Obama might be in real trouble over this.
I don't get the uproar over the NBC article. Didn't everyone know years ago that lots of people were going to have their existing plans cancelled? This should have been obvious, given that so many existing plans didn't meet the new requirements for ACA-compliant plans.
To those paying attention it was obvious. Most people are reactive though. They aren't going to pay attention until the notice comes in the mail.

I'm still confused at how we can let the poor go without dental insurance. In a country as prosperous and wealthy as ours, people are forced to have cavities and gum disease. It's sickening.
Pediatric dental benefits are an Essential Health Benefit and must be covered either by the plan or by a stand alone dental plan. We don't, apparently, care about adult's teeth.
Thanks a lot, Obama. :hot:

timschochet said:
Chadstroma said:

It sucks for the country but if you are looking at it purely as some GOP politician looking to gain or keep an elected office, you have to secretly love this massive mistake.
I doubt this. I continue to believe the Tea Party antics hurt the Republicans far worse than Obamacare hurts the Democrats. But we'll see in a few months...
You mean the antics of wanting a one year delay of the ACA so that the administration could fix this mess before rolling it out to the public? I think voters are going to read things a little differently than you think
You may very well be right. I wrote that last night before reading that NBC News article. That opened my eyes. I think Obama might be in real trouble over this.
I don't get the uproar over the NBC article. Didn't everyone know years ago that lots of people were going to have their existing plans cancelled? This should have been obvious, given that so many existing plans didn't meet the new requirements for ACA-compliant plans.
To those paying attention it was obvious. Most people are reactive though. They aren't going to pay attention until the notice comes in the mail.
Actually those plans would have been grandfathered in. If they were in effect before March 2010 regardless of their type. However federal regulations were implemented that would take away this grandfathered status if any part of those policies were changed. Premium, Deductible, coverage, anything.

timschochet said:
Chadstroma said:

Actually those plans would have been grandfathered in. If they were in effect before March 2010 regardless of their type. However federal regulations were implemented that would take away this grandfathered status if any part of those policies were changed. Premium, Deductible, coverage, anything.
Not premiums, but yes on any benefits, deductibles, MOOP, etc.

I'm still wondering what "trouble" people think Obama's gonna be in :kicksrock:
only real test would be is if the GOP somehow takes the House and the Senate...Until then, nothing will change IMO.
Even if that happens....how does that make Obama "in trouble"
you are right..it really doesn't hurt him, he cant be re-elected. He will have a harder time getting anything new through. I think that is why he, Harry, and Nancy pushed this abomination through as fast as they could when they had control of both houses. Even before reading.

timschochet said:
Chadstroma said:

Another proof that we let too many people vote.

OOPS... Massive Security Hole in the Obamacare Website...

Security hole found in Obamacare website

By Jose Pagliery October 29, 2013: 1:13 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

The Obamacare website has more than annoying bugs. A cybersecurity expert found a way to hack into users' accounts.

Until the Department of Health fixed the security hole last week, anyone could easily reset your Healthcare.gov password without your knowledge and potentially hijack your account.

The glitch was discovered last week by Ben Simo, a software tester in Arizona. Simo found that gaining access to people's accounts was frighteningly simple. You could have:

• guessed an existing user name, and the website would have confirmed it exists.
  • claimed you forgot your password, and the site would have reset it.
  • viewed the site's unencrypted source code in any browser to find the password reset code.
  • plugged in the user name and reset code, and the website would have displayed a person's three security questions (your oldest niece's first name, name of favorite pet, date of wedding anniversary, etc.).
  • answered the security questions wrong, and the website would have spit out the account owner's email address -- again, unencrypted.
Armed with the account holder's email address, a person with malicious intent could easily track down their target on social media, where they'd likely discover the answers to those security questions.It wouldn't have even taken a skilled hacker. Anyone with bad intentions -- and a minimal understanding of how to read a website's code -- could have figured it out. While such an attack might not have yielded your Social Security number or health information, it would have exposed your address and phone number.

By Friday, that dent in security was gone. But security consultants say it's disconcerting that such a privacy concern remained unaddressed for more than three weeks after the federal government launched the Obamacare website Oct. 1.

The Department of Health and Human Services, which is rolling out the health care overhaul, confirmed the flaws existed. After being contacted for this story, the department said changes were made that would prevent outsiders from seeing someone's password reset code.

"We have taken great care to ensure that people's usernames and information are kept secure," said health spokeswoman Joanne Peters.

Simo tried to report the defect as soon as he found it, but the Obamacare hotline operator referred him to law enforcement -- which was neither helpful nor relevant. While attempting to retrace Simo's steps on Friday, CNNMoney found that some of the issues had been fixed -- but not all.

Still, Simo fears that a savvy hacker could find other holes and Obamacare applicants' data will be compromised on a mass scale.

"This seems really sloppy," Simo said. "Either the developers were incompetent and did not know how to do the basic things to protect user information, or the development was so fractured that the individuals building the system didn't understand how they fit into the bigger picture."

The flaw wasn't mentioned at last week's congressional hearing, when government contractors CGI Federal and Quality Software Services Inc. testified about their responsibilities in the project. But another point was made by Congressman Mike Rogers, R-Mich.: companies keep patching up the website's holes, and adding thousands of new lines of computer code, exposing the entire system to unforeseen security problems.

Cyberattacks on Obamacare exchange websites are already underway. At least one state, Connecticut, has seen outsiders attempt to gain "irregular" access, according to Jim Wadleigh, chief information officer of Access Health CT.

Congress' inquiries continued Tuesday, when the Ways and Means Committee posed questions about the site's glitches and security to Marilyn Tavenner, head of the health department's Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

The security hole is just the latest in a series of mishaps for the Obamacare website's launch. In the first weeks, system errors prevented people from signing up to the newly launched insurance exchanges. Over the past weekend, a government contractor's network failure again left users unable to apply.

Monday brought the latest worrisome disclosure: that the entire Obamacare website operates on a single computer server in Virginia -- without any backup, according to Congressman Rogers http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/29/technology/obamacare-security/index.html?hpt=hp_t1&iid=EL#TOP]

First Published: October 29, 2013: 12:43 PM ET
tl;dr: "guess" someone's username (typically done by typing one in and seeing if the website told you it was already in use by someone else) and the website would spit back in plain text inside the HTML source the target's password reset code, their security questions, and their email address. With their email address it's sometimes easy to find the answers to their questions and log in as them.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

The Obamacare website has more than annoying bugs. A cybersecurity expert found a way to hack into users' accounts.

Until the Department of Health fixed the security hole last week, anyone could easily reset your Healthcare.gov password without your knowledge and potentially hijack your account.

The glitch was discovered last week by Ben Simo, a software tester in Arizona. Simo found that gaining access to people's accounts was frighteningly simple. You could have:

• guessed an existing user name, and the website would have confirmed it exists.
  • viewed the site's unencrypted source code in any browser to find the password reset code.
  • plugged in the user name and reset code, and the website would have displayed a person's three security questions (your oldest niece's first name, name of favorite pet, date of wedding anniversary, etc.).
  • answered the security questions wrong, and the website would have spit out the account owner's email address -- again, unencrypted.
Armed with the account holder's email address, a person with malicious intent could easily track down their target on social media, where they'd likely discover the answers to those security questions.It wouldn't have even taken a skilled hacker. Anyone with bad intentions -- and a minimal understanding of how to read a website's code -- could have figured it out. While such an attack might not have yielded your Social Security number or health information, it would have exposed your address and phone number.

By Friday, that dent in security was gone. But security consultants say it's disconcerting that such a privacy concern remained unaddressed for more than three weeks after the federal government launched the Obamacare website Oct. 1.

The Department of Health and Human Services, which is rolling out the health care overhaul, confirmed the flaws existed. After being contacted for this story, the department said changes were made that would prevent outsiders from seeing someone's password reset code.

"We have taken great care to ensure that people's usernames and information are kept secure," said health spokeswoman Joanne Peters.

Simo tried to report the defect as soon as he found it, but the Obamacare hotline operator referred him to law enforcement -- which was neither helpful nor relevant. While attempting to retrace Simo's steps on Friday, CNNMoney found that some of the issues had been fixed -- but not all.

Still, Simo fears that a savvy hacker could find other holes and Obamacare applicants' data will be compromised on a mass scale.

"This seems really sloppy," Simo said. "Either the developers were incompetent and did not know how to do the basic things to protect user information, or the development was so fractured that the individuals building the system didn't understand how they fit into the bigger picture."

The flaw wasn't mentioned at last week's congressional hearing, when government contractors CGI Federal and Quality Software Services Inc. testified about their responsibilities in the project. But another point was made by Congressman Mike Rogers, R-Mich.: companies keep patching up the website's holes, and adding thousands of new lines of computer code, exposing the entire system to unforeseen security problems.

Cyberattacks on Obamacare exchange websites are already underway. At least one state, Connecticut, has seen outsiders attempt to gain "irregular" access, according to Jim Wadleigh, chief information officer of Access Health CT.

Congress' inquiries continued Tuesday, when the Ways and Means Committee posed questions about the site's glitches and security to Marilyn Tavenner, head of the health department's Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

The security hole is just the latest in a series of mishaps for the Obamacare website's launch. In the first weeks, system errors prevented people from signing up to the newly launched insurance exchanges. Over the past weekend, a government contractor's network failure again left users unable to apply.

Monday brought the latest worrisome disclosure: that the entire Obamacare website operates on a single computer server in Virginia -- without any backup, according to Congressman Rogers http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/29/technology/obamacare-security/index.html?hpt=hp_t1&iid=EL#TOP]

tl;dr: "guess" someone's username (typically done by typing one in and seeing if the website told you it was already in use by someone else) and the website would spit back in plain text inside the HTML source the target's password reset code, their security questions, and their email address. With their email address it's sometimes easy to find the answers to their questions and log in as them.
That's the price you pay for getting more expensive health insurance. You can't have your cake or eat it, either.

DreamTheater said:
The Commish said:
DreamTheater said:
The Commish said:
I'm still wondering what "trouble" people think Obama's gonna be in :kicksrock:
only real test would be is if the GOP somehow takes the House and the Senate...Until then, nothing will change IMO.
Even if that happens....how does that make Obama "in trouble"
you are right..it really doesn't hurt him, he cant be re-elected. He will have a harder time getting anything new through. I think that is why he, Harry, and Nancy pushed this abomination through as fast as they could when they had control of both houses. Even before reading.
agreed

To be honest the 3 week gaping security breach is kind of being overhyped. I mean at most there are what, 419 people who have been able to successfully create a login identity in that time frame?

Another "outage".

The data hub behind the Obamacare website had another "outage" on Tuesday night, state and federal officials said.As of 8 am Wednesday, users were still blocked from submitting new applications or searching for insurance plans, and healthcare.gov was still telling users, "The system is down at the moment."

Verizon, which provides some technology services behind HealthCare.gov, said Tuesday that federal officials asked the company to provide additional computing and storage ability.

"At the request of HHS's deputy CIO, we are now undertaking infrastructure maintenance, which should be complete overnight," spokesman Jeffrey Nelson said. "We anticipate the strengthened infrastructure will help eliminate application downtimes."

Verizon spokesman Kevin King said Wednesday he had no new information about whether the maintenance is complete.

An official with the agency that oversees HealthCare.gov acknowledged the systems outage Tuesday, and said the website would be brought back online when maintenance was complete.

A spokeswoman from the Connecticut state exchange said the outage was preventing users from completing the full registration process, but some functions were still working.

Verizon had no immediate response to questions about how customers using the site would be impacted.

On Sunday, an outage traced back to Verizon left customers unable to apply for coverage. The snafu affected the federally-run HealthCare.gov and more a dozen state-run sites. Fourteen states and the District of Columbia are running their own insurance marketplaces; the other 36 states use the federal exchange.

Since going live on Oct. 1, major issues with HealthCare.gov have prevented people from registering and applying for coverage.

Related: Security hole found in Obamacare website

Marilyn Tavenner, head of the government agency overseeing the site, told lawmakers at a hearing that the massive issues were a "surprise" and "did not show up in testing."

"We know that consumers are eager to purchase this coverage and to the millions of Americans who have attempted to use HealthCare.gov to shop and enroll in health care coverage, I want to apologize to you that the website has not worked as well as it should," she said.

President Obama said technical teams were "working out the kinks in the system," and a former White House official he appointed to oversee the repairs said the site would be working for "vast majority" of users next month.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Meh, I'm pretty sure that it's mandatory that our health insurance cover identity theft these days anyways.

Sebelius testimony on right now, pretty good so far sounds like a bunch of birds squawking talking points over answers.

Vice chair of Tennessee, Ms. Blackburn. I've never hated a person more, she seems to be equal parts Nancy Grace and Michelle Bachman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sebelius testimony on right now, pretty good so far sounds like a bunch of birds squawking talking points over answers.

Vice chair of Tennessee, Ms. Blackburn. I've never hated a person more, she seems to be equal parts Nancy Grace and Michelle Bachman.
These things are such a frigging joke. Pretty much a microcosm of our pathetic political system.

These things are such a frigging joke. Pretty much a microcosm of our pathetic political system.
Seriously. Both sides using the hearings as a pulpit to push their agendas, then occasionally actually asking a real question.

So it's almost the end of the month. Are they going to publish numbers for how many people have received health insurance through the website for the month of October? And if so, will they be using the calculator from the Obamacare website to add up the numbers?

Awesome.

Rep. Mike Rogers, a Michigan Republican, accused Sebelius of putting the private information of Americans at risk by failing to properly test security measures on the website.

"This is a completely unacceptable level of security," he said, adding, "you know it's not secure."

Sebelius said testing occurs regularly and told Rogers she would get back to him on whether any end-to-end security test of the entire system has ever occurred. Rogers responded that he knows there have been no such comprehensive security tests.

An internal government memo, obtained by CNN on Wednesday and written just days before the website opened, warned of a "high" security risk because of a lack of testing of the website.

"Due to system readiness issues, the (security control assessment) was only partly completed," said the memo from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. "This constitutes a risk that must be accepted and mitigated to support the Marketplace Day 1 operations."

So it's almost the end of the month. Are they going to publish numbers for how many people have received health insurance through the website for the month of October? And if so, will they be using the calculator from the Obamacare website to add up the numbers?
What will have lasted longer. Obamacare or The New Coke recipe?

What will have lasted longer. Obamacare or The New Coke recipe?
New Coke lasted 17 years, so hopefully that lasts longer.

Awesome.

Rep. Mike Rogers, a Michigan Republican, accused Sebelius of putting the private information of Americans at risk by failing to properly test security measures on the website.

"This is a completely unacceptable level of security," he said, adding, "you know it's not secure."

Sebelius said testing occurs regularly and told Rogers she would get back to him on whether any end-to-end security test of the entire system has ever occurred. Rogers responded that he knows there have been no such comprehensive security tests.

An internal government memo, obtained by CNN on Wednesday and written just days before the website opened, warned of a "high" security risk because of a lack of testing of the website.

"Due to system readiness issues, the (security control assessment) was only partly completed," said the memo from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. "This constitutes a risk that must be accepted and mitigated to support the Marketplace Day 1 operations."
Come on. It was only a High risk. I'm sure there's at least 3 levels higher than that. Just put this on the back burner for now.

Awesome.

This is pretty bad. I want to know who knew. Who was the memo from and to. Who knew that there was a security risk and still pushed it out to the American people.

How long till the site gets hacked? Wouldn't this be a hackers highest profile target?
It can't get hacked if it's always down.
:goodposting: This would be a huge attack surface, of course as mentioned above if only a few hundred people actually are able to have their information input then it's about as lucrative as hacking a car dealership in Madagascar.

Schlzm

How long till the site gets hacked? Wouldn't this be a hackers highest profile target?
:goodposting: This would be a huge attack surface, of course as mentioned above if only a few hundred people actually are able to have their information input then it's about as lucrative as hacking a car dealership in Madagascar.

Schlzm
I was under the impression that a lot of people were able to put in their information and get a login, but that's as far as they could get. So, essentially, they got just far enough to input private information that is not being protected as it should.

Awesome.

Pretty appalling to see Mike Rogers, of all people, complain about a loss of privacy. This ######## is one of the loudest cheerleaders for the NSA spying and proposals like SOPA and CISPA. :thumbdown:

Awesome.

Pretty appalling to see Mike Rogers, of all people, complain about a loss of privacy. This ######## is one of the loudest cheerleaders for the NSA spying and proposals like SOPA and CISPA. :thumbdown:
True, but there is a difference (at least in the eyes of the gov't) of no privacy from the gov't and no privacy from anybody with a computer.

Eight.

Awesome.

True, but there is a difference (at least in the eyes of the gov't) of no privacy from the gov't and no privacy from anybody with a computer.
Sure, but when the government builds in exploits to web standards and software it enables snooping from both.

Schlzm
I was under the impression that a lot of people were able to put in their information and get a login, but that's as far as they could get. So, essentially, they got just far enough to input private information that is not being protected as it should.
It's pretty difficult to tell what information is being accurately stored at this point. I've only seen chatter about putting exploit packages in place so far and nothing out for sale which means collection either is really low or data reliability is in question.Schlzm

It is nice how Tim has mostly disappeared since this debacle started. When the government shutdown was going on he was averaging 275 posts per day. Now, he is averaging 2 per day.*

*figures used are exact.

Slapdash said:
Rayderr said:
Awesome.

True, but the chances something bad will happen with your medical records in a hacker's hands is much, much higher than what the NSA will do with the information that you call Aunt Mae twice a week.

It is nice how Tim has mostly disappeared since this debacle started. When the government shutdown was going on he was averaging 275 posts per day. Now, he is averaging 2 per day.*

*figures used are exact.
You should be grateful, I'd say.

Seriously. Both sides using the hearings as a pulpit to push their agendas, then occasionally actually asking a real question.
It honestly turns my stomach, although I admit that happens pretty much any time I hear a politician speak. This format is a special case of stupid though.

The President said he takes "full responsibility for making sure it gets fixed ASAP."
Great. We've reduced the most powerful man in the world to doing tech support for a website.
"Tank ylou forr cralling de ferderal govbernmen, thas es Steeef from Omaha, ow may I elp ylou?"or

"Good afternoon my fellow American, thank you for taking the time to call us here at the Federal Government and I swear as it is my sworn duty as Commander in Chief that I will not rest until the problems that are affecting your system are hunted down and erradicated. etc etc etc..."

Schlzm

Slapdash said:
Rayderr said:
Awesome.

True, but the chances something bad will happen with your medical records in a hacker's hands is much, much higher than what the NSA will do with the information that you call Aunt Mae twice a week.
At least be honest about the information. When hacking into the NSA, I doubt they are after your phone records to Aunt Mae just like hacking into ACA they probably aren't after the number of refills you have left on your Tylenol. Both systems have valuable information to hackers.

Users who are viewing this thread