What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (2 Viewers)

It's wonderful people can get insurance without being denied because of pre-existing conditions, God bless America.
Yeah, I'd like to buy a car, drive it without insurance, then if I wreck it, get insurance then to pay for the repairs.

Or maybe I can not bother to insure my house, but if it burns down, I can go get insurance then, which will pay for it to be rebuilt...and everything it that burned of course.
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. Or maybe it works like it did for my MIL. Insured through her work, then found out she had leukemia and eventually had to quit her job (or they had to let her go) because she couldn't work anymore. And with that pre-existing condition (leukemia), nobody would touch her with a ten-foot pole. So...she and my FIL ended up having to go on State/Federal assistance after pretty much losing everything they had...then having him (polio survivor, only one good arm) need to fix up a house that was scheduled to be demolished that he bought from its owner for around $5,000. Until she reached the point where the leukemia killed her.

But never you mind that both of them were gainfully employed prior to the leukemia and his arm getting so bad that he himself couldn't work anymore. Never mind that they had insurance through their employers all their lives prior. They're just another statistic who fit the bill as "unprepared" and/or "societal leeches" since they needed MN and DC to at least try to keep her alive (made it seven years). In your mind, she should have been "better prepared." Or just crawled in a hole and died.

And you align yourself with a political party that wraps itself in the Christian flag?! Wow.
Your story sounds fishy. If she had insurance through her work, she was covered. They couldn't just drop her because got sick. Why would anyone have insurance if that was the case? Something doesn't add up there.

For instance, my wife needed knee surgery. Guess what, our insurance paid for it; they didn't and couldn't just drop her.

BTW, I'm agnostic, leaning towards atheist, so leave me out of the Christian flag thing...is there really a Christian flag?
Agreed, his in laws probably just couldn't afford Cobra, or a PCIP plan.. I'd wager they couldn't afford Obamacare either if that was the case..

So, they'd likely still be on a government voucher..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's wonderful people can get insurance without being denied because of pre-existing conditions, God bless America.
Yeah, I'd like to buy a car, drive it without insurance, then if I wreck it, get insurance then to pay for the repairs.

Or maybe I can not bother to insure my house, but if it burns down, I can go get insurance then, which will pay for it to be rebuilt...and everything it that burned of course.
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. Or maybe it works like it did for my MIL. Insured through her work, then found out she had leukemia and eventually had to quit her job (or they had to let her go) because she couldn't work anymore. And with that pre-existing condition (leukemia), nobody would touch her with a ten-foot pole. So...she and my FIL ended up having to go on State/Federal assistance after pretty much losing everything they had...then having him (polio survivor, only one good arm) need to fix up a house that was scheduled to be demolished that he bought from its owner for around $5,000. Until she reached the point where the leukemia killed her.

But never you mind that both of them were gainfully employed prior to the leukemia and his arm getting so bad that he himself couldn't work anymore. Never mind that they had insurance through their employers all their lives prior. They're just another statistic who fit the bill as "unprepared" and/or "societal leeches" since they needed MN and DC to at least try to keep her alive (made it seven years). In your mind, she should have been "better prepared." Or just crawled in a hole and died.

And you align yourself with a political party that wraps itself in the Christian flag?! Wow.
Your story sounds fishy. If she had insurance through her work, she was covered. They couldn't just drop her because got sick. Why would anyone have insurance if that was the case? Something doesn't add up there.

For instance, my wife needed knee surgery. Guess what, our insurance paid for it; they didn't and couldn't just drop her.

BTW, I'm agnostic, leaning towards atheist, so leave me out of the Christian flag thing...is there really a Christian flag?
Agreed, his in laws probably just couldn't afford Cobra, or a PEC plan.. I'd wager they couldn't afford Obamacare either if that was the case..

Tell me again how two adults, one of whom is physically disabled, and the other of which has leukemia (both who had to stop working for health reasons...so they were no longer employed by anybody) are going to afford COBRA or a PEC plan?

FWIW, my insurance premiums are going DOWN 31% on January 1 as a direct result of the ACA. For more coverage, and lower deductibles. Tough to get a good deal on insurance when you can't get insurance through your employer (because YOU are your employer). Until October 1, 2013, that is. And yes, there really is a Christian flag: https://www.google.com/search?q=christian+flag&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NzZzUuiGDeLiyAHO1oBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=935

You seemed to be confused about this. I'm not sure if you know this, but at one time Insurance companies wouldn't give insurance to individuals who had pre-existing conditions. These people wanted to buy policies. In some cases,The medical insurance companies would not insure them, or would drop them. Diminishing profits are A prority over human beings.. These people cannot get policies and they have families who need coverage. Yeah, the nerve of these so-called sick people. Crazy isn't it?

Agreed, his in laws probably just couldn't afford Cobra, or a PEC plan.. I'd wager they couldn't afford Obamacare either if that was the case..

Tell me again how two adults, one of whom is physically disabled, and the other of which has leukemia (both who had to stop working for health reasons...so they were no longer employed by anybody) are going to afford COBRA or a PEC plan?

FWIW, my insurance premiums are going DOWN 31% on January 1 as a direct result of the ACA. For more coverage, and lower deductibles. Tough to get a good deal on insurance when you can't get insurance through your employer (because YOU are your employer). Until October 1, 2013, that is. And yes, there really is a Christian flag: https://www.google.com/search?q=christian+flag&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NzZzUuiGDeLiyAHO1oBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=935
If your in-laws couldn't afford insurance then, and had to rely on the government, they are, or would be in the same situation now...

My insurance doubled in price btw.. And for most, their rates are going up, not down...

Actually, I've not met 1 person who's insurance rates will be cheaper after ACA unless they are receiving vouchers..

Also, I'm self employed as well..

You seemed to be confused about this. I'm not sure if you know this, but at one time Insurance companies wouldn't give insurance to individuals who had pre-existing conditions. These people wanted to buy policies. In some cases,The medical insurance companies would not insure them, or would drop them. Diminishing profits are A prority over human beings.. These people cannot get policies and they have families who need coverage. Yeah, the nerve of these so-called sick people. Crazy isn't it?
There was insurance for people with pre-existing conditions before ACA...

If your in-laws couldn't afford insurance then, and had to rely on the government, they are, or would be in the same situation now...

My insurance doubled in price btw.. And for most, their rates are going up, not down...

Actually, I've not met 1 person 2 people whose insurance rates will be cheaper after ACA unless they are receiving vouchers..

Also, I'm self employed as well..
Fixed that last post for you...as my wife and I don't get a dime in credits/vouchers. No government assistance in any way...other than giving us the ability to shop the exchange as of October 1.

I understand the feeling. Whether someone agrees or not can be debated and that's fine. If it's framed as we want these people to be covered so everyone is going to have to pay more, that's fair and that debate could be had. That wasn't exactly how this thing was billed. I'm no big fan of the hard right, but the fact that they were the ones banging the drums against the ACA hurt the fight in my opinion because most people tuned it out due to the messenger. It still amazes me when I read accounts of people seeing the premium increases and being shocked they are the ones having to pay for it. It can be paying more for the same coverage or being forced into a more comprehensive policy such as a woman being forced to pay for maternity coverage who can't have children. It's like people can't conceptualize this will cost more and someone has to pay the bill. It proves a significant segment of the public will believe anything if you wrap the sales job in a pretty enough package.

I understand the feeling. Whether someone agrees or not can be debated and that's fine. If it's framed as we want these people to be covered so everyone is going to have to pay more, that's fair and that debate could be had. That wasn't exactly how this thing was billed. I'm no big fan of the hard right, but the fact that they were the ones banging the drums against the ACA hurt the fight in my opinion because most people tuned it out due to the messenger. It still amazes me when I read accounts of people seeing the premium increases and being shocked they are the ones having to pay for it. It can be paying more for the same coverage or being forced into a more comprehensive policy such as a woman being forced to pay for maternity coverage who can't have children. It's like people can't conceptualize this will cost more and someone has to pay the bill. It proves a significant segment of the public will believe anything if you wrap the sales job in a pretty enough package.
Yep. The uninsured and "the uninsurable" (in the past, major pre-existing issues) being added to various plans/pools is certainly going to increase costs for people in said plans/pools that didn't have to deal with them before. I just wonder if you factor in all the litigation costs, all the bankruptcy/foreclosure issues which arise at least in part due to medical expenses, all the folks who show up in an emergency room needing/wanting care who have no insurance currently (and no real way to pay for said care), how much more/less it will actually cost our society when it's all said and done. A rhetorical question...as I don't expect anyone to know (or the people who "know" will be spin-doctors using facts to claim truth). But the cost of health care goes far, far beyond the cost of health insurance in this country.

And the hits just keep on coming.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/362757/top-hospitals-opt-out-obamacare-wesley-j-smith

The U.S. News and World Report has more bad Obamacare–is there any other kind?–news: The nation’s top hospitals may not accept many Obamacare policies. From the story:

Americans who sign up for Obamacare will be getting a big surprise if they expect to access premium health care that may have been previously covered under their personal policies. Most of the top hospitals will accept insurance from just one or two companies operating under Obamacare.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/10/31/obama-officials-in-2010-93-million-americans-will-be-unable-to-keep-their-health-plans-under-obamacare/

If you read the Affordable Care Act when it was passed, you knew that it was dishonest for President Obama to claim that “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan,” as he did—and continues to do—on countless occasions. And we now know that the administration knew this all along. It turns out that in an obscure report buried in a June 2010 edition of the Federal Register, administration officials predicted massive disruption of the private insurance market.
On Tuesday, White House spokesman Jay Carney attempted to minimize the disruption issue, arguing that it only affected people who buy insurance on their own. “That’s the universe we’re talking about, 5 percent of the population,” said Carney. “In some of the coverage of this issue in the last several days, you would think that you were talking about 75 percent or 80 percent or 60 percent of the American population.”
“The Departments’ mid-range estimate is that 66 percent of small employer plans and 45 percent of large employer plans will relinquish their grandfather status by the end of 2013,” wrote the administration on page 34,552 of the Register. All in all, more than half of employer-sponsored plans will lose their “grandfather status” and become illegal. According to the Congressional Budget Office, 156 million Americans—more than half the population—was covered by employer-sponsored insurance in 2013.

Another 25 million people, according to the CBO, have “nongroup and other” forms of insurance; that is to say, they participate in the market for individually-purchased insurance. In this market, the administration projected that “40 to 67 percent” of individually-purchased plans would lose their Obamacare-sanctioned “grandfather status” and become illegal
How many people are exposed to these problems? 60 percent of Americans have private-sector health insurance—precisely the number that Jay Carney dismissed. As to the number of people facing cancellations, 51 percent of the employer-based market plus 53.5 percent of the non-group market (the middle of the administration’s range) amounts to 93 million Americans.
here's an idea, quit lying

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/362757/top-hospitals-opt-out-obamacare-wesley-j-smith

The U.S. News and World Report has more bad Obamacare–is there any other kind?–news: The nation’s top hospitals may not accept many Obamacare policies. From the story:

Americans who sign up for Obamacare will be getting a big surprise if they expect to access premium health care that may have been previously covered under their personal policies. Most of the top hospitals will accept insurance from just one or two companies operating under Obamacare.
Best law ever!

Internal notes show paltry initial enrollment in ObamacarePosted by
CNN's Jason SeherWashington (CNN) - Six people.

That's how many Americans had successfully enrolled in the federal health care exchange by the morning of October 2, according to documents provided to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Notes from a "war room" meeting at the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance between administration officials and contractors working on the rollout of HealthCare.gov underscore the beleaguered debut of the online marketplace.

Posted online Thursday by the House committee, the documents indicate that the six enrolled individuals were issued policies from five different insurance companies.

"Healthcare Service Corporation had the two enrollments," the notes recorded.

By the next meeting, held that afternoon, notes showed "approximately 100 enrollments" had taken place since the launch of the federal exchange.

The following morning, the total had increased to 248.

Notes released by the committee's chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, do not include official enrollment statistics and represent an incomplete accounting of the enrollment totals, said Joanne Peters, a Health and Human Services spokeswoman.

Again, the department declined to release the number of Americans who have been able to successfully enroll in the exchange.

"We will release enrollment statistics on a monthly basis after coordinating information from different sources such as paper, online, and call centers, verifying with insurers and collecting data from states," Peters said.

Peters reiterated that a slow start does not mean that the exchange will not boast a healthy roll call by the December 15 deadline to enroll.

"We have always anticipated that the pace of enrollment will increase throughout the enrollment period," Peters said.

Citing the quiet pace at which Massachusetts residents registered for that state's health program, the spokeswoman remained confident that enrollment totals would tick up as more people learned about the exchange.

HHS remains focused on providing accurate enrollment totals and cannot yet give those figures because of collection issues.

"We have had more than 20 million visitors to the Marketplace, showing an overwhelming interest in Americans learning more about their options for affordable health care," Peters said.

The Center for Consumer Information and Insurance is part of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Obama's gotta be feeling a bit like Geraldo after opening Al Capone's vault.

Yeah, I'd like to buy a car, drive it without insurance, then if I wreck it, get insurance then to pay for the repairs. Or maybe I can not bother to insure my house, but if it burns down, I can go get insurance then, which will pay for it to be rebuilt...and everything it that burned of course.
That made me spit out my morning coffee

Yeah, I'd like to buy a car, drive it without insurance, then if I wreck it, get insurance then to pay for the repairs. Or maybe I can not bother to insure my house, but if it burns down, I can go get insurance then, which will pay for it to be rebuilt...and everything it that burned of course.
It's true, being ignorant of that doesn't change reality.. You can save more coffee by being better informed or believing less of the liberal spin evidently.. My cousin is diabetic, and he had been on one of these plans since 2005. I don't remember the exact #'s, but he was paying nearly $600 a month for insurance and his new plan will be approximately $50 less a month. (While my plan doubled)

It's true, being ignorant of that doesn't change reality.. You can save more coffee by being better informed or believing less of the liberal spin evidently.. My cousin is diabetic, and he had been on one of these plans since 2005. I don't remember the exact #'s, but he was paying nearly $600 a month for insurance and his new plan will be approximately $50 less a month. (While my plan doubled)
I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions here of Ballstein. First I'll address the second bolded part - it's simply not true. Some people did have their policies canceled, I can't deny that - but they were canceled because the person lied or knowingly mislead the carrier when completing their insurance application. I've seen it happen. If someone says on an application that they are perfectly healthy, or fails to mention something that they know is a medical condition/situation they have, and the insurance company finds out, it's quite literally insurance fraud, and the insurer can drop the policy.

On the first bolded part, the majority of states do offer plans that are "guaranteed issue". My home state Virginia is one of them. That doesn't mean we are a "guaranteed issue" state like New York or Mass with their high rates, it means that we have at least one what's called "insurer of last resorts", or a plan that can not be declined to anyone and one where the applicant doesn't need to answer a single medical question. I understand that these policies are very expensive (because they are guaranteed issue, much like the Obamacare plans and their high rates which are also guaranteed issue), but it is a coverage option for anyone. Here is a list of all the states, and if they have an "insurer of last resorts" -

http://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/bid/111113/State-by-State-Guide-to-Guaranteed-Issue-Health-Insurance-in-2012

Looking through it, there are only 3 states (Georgia, Hawaii and Arizona) which offer no plan for those people.

Moreover if carriers in the past hadn't had "pre-existing condition" limitations, what's stopping an individual from only buying coverage when they are 6 months pregnant, or only when their Dr. gives them a very expensive prescription that they will have to be on for a long time? Or only when high blood pressure or cholesterol become a problem? It would be rampant, and rates would have to skyrocket to compensate - and people would then be unable to afford the coverage and would opt to go without the now pricy options - leading to a "death spiral".

The fact that insurance companies did this is what kept the prices as low as they have been for people who have coverage today.

I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions here of Ballstein. First I'll address the second bolded part - it's simply not true. Some people did have their policies canceled, I can't deny that - but they were canceled because the person lied or knowingly mislead the carrier when completing their insurance application. I've seen it happen. If someone says on an application that they are perfectly healthy, or fails to mention something that they know is a medical condition/situation they have, and the insurance company finds out, it's quite literally insurance fraud, and the insurer can drop the policy.

On the first bolded part, the majority of states do offer plans that are "guaranteed issue". My home state Virginia is one of them. That doesn't mean we are a "guaranteed issue" state like New York or Mass with their high rates, it means that we have at least one what's called "insurer of last resorts", or a plan that can not be declined to anyone and one where the applicant doesn't need to answer a single medical question. I understand that these policies are very expensive (because they are guaranteed issue, much like the Obamacare plans and their high rates which are also guaranteed issue), but it is a coverage option for anyone. Here is a list of all the states, and if they have an "insurer of last resorts" -

http://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/bid/111113/State-by-State-Guide-to-Guaranteed-Issue-Health-Insurance-in-2012

Looking through it, there are only 3 states (Georgia, Hawaii and Arizona) which offer no plan for those people.
So many people are ignorant of this... And typically these lies are the reasons most of those people give you supporting ACA..

What's scary is we are just seeing the tip of the Iceberg of the level of cluster#### this is going to end up being... I hope all the idiots that pushed for this are proud of themselves.
Yes, i am sure people that pushed for affordable health care are very proud of themselves for the ####ty implementation of the website
The underlying problems have nothing to do with the website. From a financial perspective the whole premise is flawed.
What's scary is we are just seeing the tip of the Iceberg of the level of cluster#### this is going to end up being... I hope all the idiots that pushed for this are proud of themselves.
Yes, i am sure people that pushed for affordable health care are very proud of themselves for the ####ty implementation of the website
The underlying problems have nothing to do with the website. From a financial perspective the whole premise is flawed.
why?
Because the only way it sustains itself is if young healthy people who currently don't pay for insurance suddenly decide to subsidize the ones who are sick or have pre-existing conditions. If they don't have insurance today, why on earth would they pay more now than they could have before? Keep in mind, on top of that they can now even wait until something happens to them to buy anything now that pre-existing conditions are no longer something that prevents you from signing up.

Insurance now works as if person A pays $X for his policy worth approximately $X. You now want to allow people in the same pool where the policies they are buying are really worth $X+$Y (some premium for their pre-existing condition or other risk factor) for only the cost of $X. Who's footing the bill for the $Y piece? It has to be the other insured, it doesn't come free.
While what you say is mostly true, this is not. You can't just sign up anytime. You can sign up during the open enrollment period or when you have a major life event.

Now when you talk about the premise being flawed, that is spot on. We are already seeing cracks. I suspect we'll have way too few healthy people sign up, and in fact there was an article linked a bit back that Obamacare may well reduce the total number of insured. These are systemic issues that were plainly obvious, but ignored by the idealogues. And profited from by those that received bribes to vote for this thing.

I just got my open enrollment at work which is a very large company.

The short of it? My options have been dropped from 4 to 3 now. The cost to keep the same insurance as I had last year will be another $600 on top of what I paid last year.

Of course, I am sure this is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with Obamacare. Oh and there was a nice message basically saying that if I don't sign up for one of these insurance options that I am pretty much screwed if I don't with the higher costs through Obamacare sans any subsidy (which I would not qualify for because I turned town the coverage from work).
very large company - self insured?

keep the same insurance - so no new mandated benefits?

Of course, I am sure this is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with Obamacare. - I don't think has that much to do with ObamaCare, but the rate of growth for health care has slowed down. So ObamaCare is not adding cost (at least yet) to the overall health care market.

So while I'm not a big fan of ObamaCare, I don't see how ObamaCare is the driver for your particular increase in cost. Unless the company is paying a smaller share to avoid cadillac plan tax. But since these plans don't really cover much more that doesn't seem like the best approach to avoid that tax.

There is lots of change happening in health care today because every one knows that the rate of growth of cost from the recent past is unsustainable. Most of this change has very little to do with the ACA and is happening with or without. For one thing, ACA is not even the biggest government mandated change for 2014, That would be ICD-10.

why?
Because the only way it sustains itself is if young healthy people who currently don't pay for insurance suddenly decide to subsidize the ones who are sick or have pre-existing conditions. If they don't have insurance today, why on earth would they pay more now than they could have before? Keep in mind, on top of that they can now even wait until something happens to them to buy anything now that pre-existing conditions are no longer something that prevents you from signing up.

Insurance now works as if person A pays $X for his policy worth approximately $X. You now want to allow people in the same pool where the policies they are buying are really worth $X+$Y (some premium for their pre-existing condition or other risk factor) for only the cost of $X. Who's footing the bill for the $Y piece? It has to be the other insured, it doesn't come free.
While what you say is mostly true, this is not. You can't just sign up anytime. You can sign up during the open enrollment period or when you have a major life event.

Now when you talk about the premise being flawed, that is spot on. We are already seeing cracks. I suspect we'll have way too few healthy people sign up, and in fact there was an article linked a bit back that Obamacare may well reduce the total number of insured. These are systemic issues that were plainly obvious, but ignored by the idealogues. And profited from by those that received bribes to vote for this thing.
Actually, unfortunately, that is true. The "open enrollment" only applies to "on exchange" plans (the only plans eligible for a subsidy). Many carriers will still be selling "off exchange" plans year round (but you won't be eligible for a subsidy) no matter if you have a "qualifying event" (major life event) or not. People will still be able to purchase coverage when 8 months pregnant (or whatever example you want to use) off exchange whenever they want, without underwriting and with any pre-ex limitations.

The short of it? My options have been dropped from 4 to 3 now. The cost to keep the same insurance as I had last year will be another $600 on top of what I paid last year.

Of course, I am sure this is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with Obamacare. Oh and there was a nice message basically saying that if I don't sign up for one of these insurance options that I am pretty much screwed if I don't with the higher costs through Obamacare sans any subsidy (which I would not qualify for because I turned town the coverage from work).

If the policy just renewed (I assume for November 1, though possibly for December 1), it doesn't yet have to meet any mandates for the ACA as those mandates are only for renewals and new groups that occur on or after 1/1/14.

You convinced me. Time to cut out the private insurance companies.

Sex workers embrace Obamacare

A burlesque dancer dressed as a nurse taunts her co-performer with a toy syringe, dangling the medicine seductively in an act that's meant to reflect the cat-and-mouse game of U.S. healthcare. They shimmy and eventually end up topless.

The risqué performance was part of an Obamacare registration drive last week in San Francisco, dubbed the "Healthy Ho's Party."

Organized by "Siouxsie Q," a Bay Area sex worker, the event was meant to encourage other sex workers to enroll in the new insurance exchanges. It was a rousing success: Nearly 40 men and women attended and almost all of them filed enrollment paperwork.

In the all-cash, off-the-books sex industry, workers can be particularly high risk and insurance is often out of reach. Many sex workers -- a broad term that can refer to a number of services, including sexual massage, prostitution, and escort and dominatrix work -- consider themselves self-employed entrepreneurs who can't afford to purchase healthcare. But that could all change with the Affordable Care Act.

Siouxsie, 28, has shopped for plans countless times since 2008, coming up empty each time. She and her partner recently reviewed their healthcare options and found that a joint plan would have cost between $400 and $500 a month -- an unaffordably large chunk of their incomes.

"We just couldn't swing [insurance] in the Bay Area -- we're lower middle class, recent college graduates, in Startup Land trying to make our way," she said.

But come January 1, when the new law goes into effect, she and her partner will be looking at a monthly bill of between $175 and $200. They're deciding between two plans on the California exchange and will receive a tax credit of about $275 a month (without the credit it would have cost nearly $500).

California's exchange site was down the first few times Siouxsie tried to navigate it, but she was able to successfully browse policies several times. (She nevertheless arrived at the party with stacks of paper applications so the night could continue even if the website was disrupted.)

Volunteers from Siouxsie's weekly podcast, The WhoreCast, staffed the event. "Jolene," another sex worker who had already enrolled through the California exchange, was also on hand to talk users through the process. A key detail for the crowd: Enrollment doesn't require users to report their employment.

"I am here mostly to put my skill at filling out bureaucratic forms to use," Jolene joked.

Through the California exchange, Jolene will receive a $211 monthly tax credit, which will bring her payments to just $36 a month.

Individuals making less than $46,000 are eligible for a tax credit to offset their monthly costs. Many of the sex workers at the event file W-2s for their legal work, whether it be a part-time job or sex work that falls within the law. Sex workers interviewed by CNNMoney estimated this income to be less than $45,000 a year.

The Affordable Care Act will cover contraception, screening for sexually transmitted infections, and violence counseling at no additional charge, which the sex workers said would make a big difference in their community. The legislation will also make it more difficult for insurance companies to deny coverage based on gender identity and HIV status.

For Jolene and others in her line of work, it's cause for celebration.

"I really do think access to healthcare should be a human right, and I've been so brainwashed to think it's such a privilege," a sex worker and activist known as "Maxine Holloway" said.

Holloway played the nurse in the evening's performance. She's also working on a master's degree in public health.

"Through my studies, I have looked at a lot of different countries and how they take care of their people," Holloway said. "We are one of the only countries that does not take care of our citizens in that way."

The women at the party recognize that taxpayers might not be enthusiastic about their dollars subsidizing healthcare for sex workers.

"Their tax dollars are going into other programs that deal with the aftermath of not having healthcare," Holloway said. "We're paying for it anyways, and we're paying for it in a way that people still get sick and still die."

First Published: November 1, 2013: 4:51 AM ET
http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/01/smallbusiness/sex-workers-obamacare/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

If the policy just renewed (I assume for November 1, though possibly for December 1), it doesn't yet have to meet any mandates for the ACA as those mandates are only for renewals and new groups that occur on or after 1/1/14.
I assume his company has just started open enrollment for CY14 coverage. But either way what mechanism for higher cost am I forgetting?

1) Being forced into groups of people with more unhealthy individuals (Chad in a large company's plan so ACA didn't change this, if I recall correctly this is you to some degree.)

2) New mandated benfits (Chad said the policies would be the same (I assume "more or less" should be added), I think lots of people are being hit with this, again if I recall including you)

3) Cost shifting to avoid the "caddy tax" (possible in Chad's case)

4) ObamaCare causes the health care market to grow in cost at a faster rate (could happen, but so far the rate of growth has slowed concurrent to the passage of the ACA - I say for mostly unrelated reasons that will continue)

The other things - shrinking networks, growing health care provider organizations becoming their own carriers, shortage of primary care doctors either being very old men or women who aren't really doctors, cost shifting from employers to employees, etc. were all happening before and will continue after ACA.

FWIW, my insurance premiums are going DOWN 31% on January 1 as a direct result of the ACA. For more coverage, and lower deductibles. Tough to get a good deal on insurance when you can't get insurance through your employer (because YOU are your employer). Until October 1, 2013, that is.
Datonn, I think you and I had a few messages back and forth earlier about your situation. Again, I'm very sorry about your MIL and the situation that you went through, as I'm going through that very same situation with my uncle, and it's not a pleasant one. Again, I don't mean for anything I write to come off as insensitive, but there is really no other way to put certain things....

Both your MIL and FIL had the option for continuous coverage not only once, but I believe twice. If both of them at one point in their lives had group coverage available to them, both of them had COBRA eligibility on their own employer's plan, but also on their spouse's employer plan (COBRA is an individual right, so your MIL could choose to remain on COBRA through your FIL's employer even if he doesn't). I fully understand that COBRA can be very expensive, but technically it's the exact same cost as the insurance was when they were an employee of that group - it's just that now the employer isn't subsidizing it for them. So the coverage may have been $500 a month lets say in total, but the employer was paying $300 of it, leaving your MIL to pay the balance of $200 each month. When she went on COBRA, the cost to do so was still $500, but the employer wasn't chipping in their $300 each month. Either could have remained on COBRA for up to 18 months and then have been HIPAA eligible for guaranteed coverage in the individual market, so they had the right to continuous coverage (but I understand they may not have had the means, that's a different question).

My next question is where this might get a bit insensitive, and I do apologize in advance if it comes off that way. Who's responsibility is it to pay that increased cost if they decide to go with COBRA and then then a HIPAA plan? Initially it's theirs - but if it gets to be too much, shouldn't your (or your wife's) moral responsibility to help them trump the public's social obligation to do so? That isn't an easy question to ask, and I'm not it's not an easy one to answer, either. But if the opposite were true, and at their death you (or your wife) were to inherit $10M from their estate, I'm sure most wouldn't have an issue with that - so why an issue with the other? Shouldn't you and your wife and any other family step in (which for all I know you may have, I'm not saying you didn't) to help them in that situation rather than have them go uninsured and rack up what I believe you previously said was a few hundred thousand in medical claims leaving them with nothing?

Also, I'm glad to hear you will be saving money on your premiums. That seems to be the extreme rarity in the market. I've only seem a few cases of someone who won't be subsidized and who doesn't currently live in a total "guaranteed issue" state or that didn't already have highly rated coverage who will now be saving money on a new ACA compliant plan.

FWIW, my insurance premiums are going DOWN 31% on January 1 as a direct result of the ACA. For more coverage, and lower deductibles. Tough to get a good deal on insurance when you can't get insurance through your employer (because YOU are your employer). Until October 1, 2013, that is.
Datonn, I think you and I had a few messages back and forth earlier about your situation. Again, I'm very sorry about your MIL and the situation that you went through, as I'm going through that very same situation with my uncle, and it's not a pleasant one. Again, I don't mean for anything I write to come off as insensitive, but there is really no other way to put certain things....

Both your MIL and FIL had the option for continuous coverage not only once, but I believe twice. If both of them at one point in their lives had group coverage available to them, both of them had COBRA eligibility on their own employer's plan, but also on their spouse's employer plan (COBRA is an individual right, so your MIL could choose to remain on COBRA through your FIL's employer even if he doesn't). I fully understand that COBRA can be very expensive, but technically it's the exact same cost as the insurance was when they were an employee of that group - it's just that now the employer isn't subsidizing it for them. So the coverage may have been $500 a month lets say in total, but the employer was paying $300 of it, leaving your MIL to pay the balance of $200 each month. When she went on COBRA, the cost to do so was still $500, but the employer wasn't chipping in their $300 each month. Either could have remained on COBRA for up to 18 months and then have been HIPAA eligible for guaranteed coverage in the individual market, so they had the right to continuous coverage (but I understand they may not have had the means, that's a different question).

My next question is where this might get a bit insensitive, and I do apologize in advance if it comes off that way. Who's responsibility is it to pay that increased cost if they decide to go with COBRA and then then a HIPAA plan? Initially it's theirs - but if it gets to be too much, shouldn't your (or your wife's) moral responsibility to help them trump the public's social obligation to do so? That isn't an easy question to ask, and I'm not it's not an easy one to answer, either. But if the opposite were true, and at their death you (or your wife) were to inherit $10M from their estate, I'm sure most wouldn't have an issue with that - so why an issue with the other? Shouldn't you and your wife and any other family step in (which for all I know you may have, I'm not saying you didn't) to help them in that situation rather than have them go uninsured and rack up what I believe you previously said was a few hundred thousand in medical claims leaving them with nothing?

Also, I'm glad to hear you will be saving money on your premiums. That seems to be the extreme rarity in the market. I've only seem a few cases of someone who won't be subsidized and who doesn't currently live in a total "guaranteed issue" state or that didn't already have highly rated coverage who will now be saving money on a new ACA compliant plan.
You make is sound oh so simple. Everyone just has a grand sitting around every month to pay for a relative's COBRA.

You make is sound oh so simple. Everyone just has a grand sitting around every month to pay for a relative's COBRA.
I never said it was simple or easy, it's the way things are. What's easier, paying a grand a month for COBRA, or paying tens or hundreds of thousands in medical bills?

Who should bear more of the responsibility of paying for what's now mandated coverage here, the person and their family combining resources to pay for COBRA and/or a HIPAA guaranteed plan, or the general public (via taxes paying for subsidies for expensive coverage or increased medical expenses and medical insurance costs to cover the uninsured)? The care is still getting paid for one way or another, we all understand that. Shouldn't someone's moral obligation to help family in need supersede the general public's mandated duty to?

And if you don't have a grand sitting around every month to pay for COBRA, how will you have a grand sitting around every month to pay for an ACA compliant plan?

This debacle is a godsend for the GOP.

It sucks for the country but if you are looking at it purely as some GOP politician looking to gain or keep an elected office, you have to secretly love this massive mistake.
I doubt this. I continue to believe the Tea Party antics hurt the Republicans far worse than Obamacare hurts the Democrats. But we'll see in a few months...
update?

I never said it was simple or easy, it's the way things are. What's easier, paying a grand a month for COBRA, or paying tens or hundreds of thousands in medical bills?

Who should bear more of the responsibility of paying for what's now mandated coverage here, the person and their family combining resources to pay for COBRA and/or a HIPAA guaranteed plan, or the general public (via taxes paying for subsidies for expensive coverage or increased medical expenses and medical insurance costs to cover the uninsured)? The care is still getting paid for one way or another, we all understand that. Shouldn't someone's moral obligation to help family in need supersede the general public's mandated duty to?

And if you don't have a grand sitting around every month to pay for COBRA, how will you have a grand sitting around every month to pay for an ACA compliant plan?
If we're going to bring "moral obligations" into the discussion (which is a good thing, I think), then I think we need to broaden the discussion to talk about other moral obligations as well. I personally cannot believe how millionaires and billionaires are *ever* able to file for bankruptcy. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: when folks like Donald Trump can file for bankruptcy, or when folks like Dave Ramsey can file for bankruptcy, then re-build their financial lives to the point of having millions/billions in the bank, they should still be required to pay back whatever they had owed pre-bankruptcy, as much as they can. And then after they die? The people they STILL owed money to should get first-dibs on anything and everything from their estate. Without them being able to "gift" money to their spouse, kids, ??? before their death. Bankruptcy is legalized stealing in our nation. Taking something from someone else, then not paying for it (or forcing the millions of other people buying the same goods or services to pick up your tab). And while many people legitimately need it to keep from winding up homeless under a bridge, abuse of that system is rampant. And nobody who has ever declared bankruptcy should *EVER* be living a life of luxury again...not until all of their debtors have been satisfied. Let 'em keep "a" home, and let them have "a" vehicle. But if they die and they still owed other people money? Let the proceeds of said home/vehicle go to the people they still owed money to. Long before any heirs see a dime.

How about our moral obligation in our society to not hide behind 8,000 deductions, loopholes, or overseas accounts in effort to get out of paying taxes? Things won't be right in our nation until we stop having "taxable income" and simply tax income (at probably 1/3 of the rates we all pay now). Ever. Or our moral obligation to spend (much) more on things that build/grow, instead of things designed to kill/destroy? Or not spending trillions on national "wants," when hundreds of national NEEDS are being left un/under funded? Professional sports stadiums come to mind, as one example of a great-many.

Not a :hijack: As it's all inter-related. You cannot enforce "morals" and "self-reliance" in one regard...but then all but completely ignore it in other regards. Not in a "moral" manner, anyway. Because all those people who are on State/Federal assistance are *also* paying for people who have filed for bankruptcy, paying so that grown men can be paid millions to run around on an athletic field...and often had little/no say or choice in the matter.

If we're going to bring "moral obligations" into the discussion (which is a good thing, I think), then I think we need to broaden the discussion to talk about other moral obligations as well. I personally cannot believe how millionaires and billionaires are *ever* able to file for bankruptcy. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: when folks like Donald Trump can file for bankruptcy, or when folks like Dave Ramsey can file for bankruptcy, then re-build their financial lives to the point of having millions/billions in the bank, they should still be required to pay back whatever they had owed pre-bankruptcy, as much as they can. And then after they die? The people they STILL owed money to should get first-dibs on anything and everything from their estate. Without them being able to "gift" money to their spouse, kids, ??? before their death. Bankruptcy is legalized stealing in our nation. Taking something from someone else, then not paying for it (or forcing the millions of other people buying the same goods or services to pick up your tab). And while many people legitimately need it to keep from winding up homeless under a bridge, abuse of that system is rampant. And nobody who has ever declared bankruptcy should *EVER* be living a life of luxury again...not until all of their debtors have been satisfied. Let 'em keep "a" home, and let them have "a" vehicle. But if they die and they still owed other people money? Let the proceeds of said home/vehicle go to the people they still owed money to. Long before any heirs see a dime.

How about our moral obligation in our society to not hide behind 8,000 deductions, loopholes, or overseas accounts in effort to get out of paying taxes? Things won't be right in our nation until we stop having "taxable income" and simply tax income (at probably 1/3 of the rates we all pay now). Ever. Or our moral obligation to spend (much) more on things that build/grow, instead of things designed to kill/destroy? Or not spending trillions on national "wants," when hundreds of national NEEDS are being left un/under funded? Professional sports stadiums come to mind, as one example of a great-many.

Not a :hijack: As it's all inter-related. You cannot enforce "morals" and "self-reliance" in one regard...but then all but completely ignore it in other regards. Not in a "moral" manner, anyway. Because all those people who are on State/Federal assistance are *also* paying for people who have filed for bankruptcy, paying so that grown men can be paid millions to run around on an athletic field...and often had little/no say or choice in the matter.
Trump never filed for bankruptcy. His businesses, have, but he himself hasn't (though he did come close because he was funneling his own money into a company that was going bankrupt.) And in terms of the Trump business bankruptcies, there are many different types of bankruptcy (chapters if you will) And the companies did emerge from bankruptcy.

Trump never filed for bankruptcy. His businesses, have, but he himself hasn't (though he did come close because he was funneling his own money into a company that was going bankrupt.) And in terms of the Trump business bankruptcies, there are many different types of bankruptcy (chapters if you will) And the companies did emerge from bankruptcy.
So my business can file for bankruptcy, but I'm off the hook for it personally?

Got it. I GTG...gonna quick take a 2-3 year trip around the world and spend like it's 1999...then come home and start a new business, since my old one will be a pile of smoldering embers. Thanks for the advice, and don't miss me too much while I'm gone! ;)

So it's almost the end of the month. Are they going to publish numbers for how many people have received health insurance through the website for the month of October? And if so, will they be using the calculator from the Obamacare website to add up the numbers?
Eight.
Seems a little high.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's funny because it's true.
:lmao:

When I saw the headline today that the actual number was "six", I said, "Well, at least it was within the margin of error."

Got it. I GTG...gonna quick take a 2-3 year trip around the world and spend like it's 1999...then come home and start a new business, since my old one will be a pile of smoldering embers. Thanks for the advice, and don't miss me too much while I'm gone! ;)
Your business can do almost anything and you'd be off the hook for it personally. Limited liability is not a novel or controversial concept. In fact it's pretty much mandatory for a functioning economy, especially new/small businesses. Nobody's starting a business if there's a chance they and their family will be in poverty for decades to come if it fails.

You don't know much about business do you?

So it's almost the end of the month. Are they going to publish numbers for how many people have received health insurance through the website for the month of October? And if so, will they be using the calculator from the Obamacare website to add up the numbers?
Eight.
Seems a little high.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: It's funny because it's true.

When I saw the headline today that the actual number was "six", I said, "Well, at least it was within the margin of error."
Six...wow...I picture something like Willy Wonka here...there were the six lucky people who booted up their computer and a message came on saying they won and they can now visit their Doctor...

Eight.
Seems a little high.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's funny because it's true.

Right! :lmao:

I wonder if it's still too early to determine if this rollout has been a failure or a success.

The best part about the six number was that only 5 of them were unique visits!

I wonder if it's still too early to determine if this rollout has been a failure or a success.

I think you misread that. Of the 6 who signed up, they chose 5 insurance companies.

Good thing datonn's here now- as if there wasn't already enough :loco: in this thread.

I think you misread that. Of the 6 who signed up, they chose 5 insurance companies.
Oh. Yeah. Just reread it. So are we leaning "success" more now with that newly found knowledge?
I've mostly tried to stay out of this dumpster fire of a thread, but out of curiosity- what the hell are you talking about?

Oh. Yeah. Just reread it. So are we leaning "success" more now with that newly found knowledge?
I've mostly tried to stay out of this dumpster fire of a thread, but out of curiosity- what the hell are you talking about?
Scroll up a bit. There's a CNN article that states only 6 people signed up on the first day.

Scroll up a bit. There's a CNN article that states only 6 people signed up on the first day.
Ah. Thanks.

So why are Sheik and others referring to that as if that was the number for all of October?

6 is 20% more success than 5. Seems like a 20% increase in success is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread