What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (4 Viewers)

I understand what you're saying, but I'm suggesting there has to be a better way to get the consumer this information without making the consumer jump through hoops, whether in-network or out.

I shouldn't go to the dentist, ask "what is this going to cost me", be told that my insurance will pick it up, then get a $400 bill a month later.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm suggesting there has to be a better way to get the consumer this information without making the consumer jump through hoops, whether in-network or out.

I shouldn't go to the dentist, ask "what is this going to cost me", be told that my insurance will pick it up, then get a $400 bill a month later.
I ALWAYS have to press for this information. Not sure why, but I do. I eventually get it and then am able to plan accordingly. I don't really get why they are so hesitant to help out in this regard.

I ALWAYS have to press for this information. Not sure why, but I do. I eventually get it and then am able to plan accordingly. I don't really get why they are so hesitant to help out in this regard.
Cause it's a different answer depending on which carrier you have. They don't charge the same thing to everyone.

Again, if we're going to use the simple MRI - I have an actual claim receipt from Johns Hopkins on my desk as I type for one of these done last year. The total for it was 2,124. That was the amount if you have this one carrier. If you have a different carrier it might be 2,679, and a third carrier might be over 3k. If you have a PPO with the first carrier rather than their HMO it might be 2,813. If you pay in cash they might charge you 2,500 even. They don't want to be on the hook when they might mistakenly give you the wrong number cause it's not always the same amount, even for the exact same procedure.

Cause it's a different answer depending on which carrier you have. They don't charge the same thing to everyone.

Again, if we're going to use the simple MRI - I have an actual claim receipt from Johns Hopkins on my desk as I type for one of these done last year. The total for it was 2,124. That was the amount if you have this one carrier. If you have a different carrier it might be 2,679, and a third carrier might be over 3k. If you have a PPO with the first carrier rather than their HMO it might be 2,813. If you pay in cash they might charge you 2,500 even. They don't want to be on the hook when they might mistakenly give you the wrong number cause it's not always the same amount, even for the exact same procedure.
That's not a reason to make it difficult for me to figure out what MY cost is :shrug: I don't expect an answer immediately. I'm fine with a "we need to check and see. we'll get back to you in the next couple days" sort of answer. It's never like that though.

The Commish said:
matttyl said:
The Commish said:
Rich Conway said:

That's not a reason to make it difficult for me to figure out what MY cost is :shrug: I don't expect an answer immediately. I'm fine with a "we need to check and see. we'll get back to you in the next couple days" sort of answer. It's never like that though.
Providers don't know until their paid - if then. It is all too complicated for them yet alone consumers. And yes that is problem if you want "consumer driven" cost reductions via informed choices.

matttyl said:
The Commish said:
Rich Conway said:

We're talking past each other. I understand that this is how it works now. I'm saying it shouldn't have to work like this. The provider's computer system should be able to query the insurance company's system directly and get the number. There's really no reason it couldn't work that way.

Yep, we need to look at the entire picture-

U.S. health spending between 2014 and 2019 is now projected to be $2.5 trillion less than predicted in 2010

This includes over a trillion dollars in savings to tax payers, That certainly makes delays that generate revenue less relevant, at least in the short term to the price tag of this legislation. However, as long as we running deficits...

Unless I missed counted zeros this works out to about $3400 per family per year (2.5 trillion divided by 6 years divided by 120 million) per year. Of course this is not just premiums. Private insurance only realize about a fourth of this savings, and out of pocket is almost none of the savings - almost.

No! No one is crediting this all to the ACA or even primarily due to the ACA, but "runaway costs" simply don't currently exist at the macro level.

The Commish said:
matttyl said:
The Commish said:
Rich Conway said:

Providers don't know until their paid - if then. It is all too complicated for them yet alone consumers. And yes that is problem if you want "consumer driven" cost reductions via informed choices.
wait...what? Sorry if these are dumb questions. It's hard to understand the side of this industry that faces me. I can't imagine what it's like under the covers. So when you say providers do you mean insurance providers or healthcare providers?

U.S. health spending between 2014 and 2019 is now projected to be $2.5 trillion less than predicted in 2010

This includes over a trillion dollars in savings to tax payers, That certainly makes delays that generate revenue less relevant, at least in the short term to the price tag of this legislation. However, as long as we running deficits...Unless I missed counted zeros this works out to about $3400 per family per year (2.5 trillion divided by 6 years divided by 120 million) per year. Of course this is not just premiums. Private insurance only realize about a fourth of this savings, and out of pocket is almost none of the savings - almost.

No! No one is crediting this all to the ACA or even primarily due to the ACA, but "runaway costs" simply don't currently exist at the macro level.
Thanks for sharing that analysis BFS. Seems like fiscal conservatives would be overjoyed about $2.5T in reduced spending, but since that would entail admitting that the ACA is not the evil bankrupting monster that they've claimed it would be, we won't see those fiscal conservatives express excitement over the 2.5T in reduced spending.

Which is insane.

This includes over a trillion dollars in savings to tax payers, That certainly makes delays that generate revenue less relevant, at least in the short term to the price tag of this legislation. However, as long as we running deficits...

Unless I missed counted zeros this works out to about $3400 per family per year (2.5 trillion divided by 6 years divided by 120 million) per year. Of course this is not just premiums. Private insurance only realize about a fourth of this savings, and out of pocket is almost none of the savings - almost.

It is good news Spending is down.. and I agree with the bold part..

Clearly, not all of the spending reduction is due to the ACA; much is due to the recent recession and a long period of slow income growth, the growth of high deductible private health plans, cost constraints within state Medicaid programs, and Medicare policies unrelated to the ACA (e.g. sequestration)
Also, as I've stated numerous times..

Spending on Health care is going to continue to go down as long as People avoid using their insurance due to the Deductibles and Out of Pocket expenses....

But...what do you think will happen once all these people putting off "Minor" procedures get to a point where it is no longer a minor procedure and it becomes "Major" procedure?

Probably not the best comparison, but stick with me ;)

It's like putting off adding oil to a car when the light says to check it..

Sure, the car will continue to run for awhile just fine.. But one day... BOOM and now that minor quart of oil just became an engine that needs replacing.. :oldunsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

This includes over a trillion dollars in savings to tax payers, That certainly makes delays that generate revenue less relevant, at least in the short term to the price tag of this legislation. However, as long as we running deficits...Unless I missed counted zeros this works out to about $3400 per family per year (2.5 trillion divided by 6 years divided by 120 million) per year. Of course this is not just premiums. Private insurance only realize about a fourth of this savings, and out of pocket is almost none of the savings - almost.

Thanks for sharing that analysis BFS. Seems like fiscal conservatives would be overjoyed about $2.5T in reduced spending, but since that would entail admitting that the ACA is not the evil bankrupting monster that they've claimed it would be, we won't see those fiscal conservatives express excitement over the 2.5T in reduced spending.

Which is insane.
I'll be very happy, if it happens. It hasn't yet. What has, as well as what hasn't happened has been discussed here - what he brings is projections.

Of the 2.5T, just over half is Medicare and Medicaid spending reductions. I'm all for that, as if those weren't contained the wild spending growth of both would have surely crippled our nation. Also, directly from the study - "Clearly, not all of the spending reduction is due to the ACA; much is due to the recent recession and a long period of slow income growth, the growth of high deductible private health plans, cost constraints within state Medicaid programs, and Medicare policies unrelated to the ACA (e.g. sequestration). But it is also likely that the law contributed; though how much is impossible to estimate." So again, let's not give all the credit to the ACA - which again, it's all bad (and I've said that before).

So my insurance rates are going to go down next year? Care to wager on this?

Well....almost no one. :lol:

I do agree that "runaway costs" is a myth. It's political rhetoric. (See, I'm learning ;) )

Which is insane.
I'll be very happy, if it happens. It hasn't yet. What has, as well as what hasn't happened has been discussed here - what he brings is projections. Of the 2.5T, just over half is Medicare and Medicaid spending reductions. I'm all for that, as if those weren't contained the wild spending growth of both would have surely crippled our nation. Also, directly from the study - "Clearly, not all of the spending reduction is due to the ACA; much is due to the recent recession and a long period of slow income growth, the growth of high deductible private health plans, cost constraints within state Medicaid programs, and Medicare policies unrelated to the ACA (e.g. sequestration). But it is also likely that the law contributed; though how much is impossible to estimate." So again, let's not give all the credit to the ACA - which again, it's all bad (and I've said that before).
No one is giving all the credit to the ACA.

My in-law just got a job at a big tire center in Denver CO. Hours capped at 29. Any ideas why no full time?
Depending on the specifics, this might be pretty good news. Let me explain (and this obviously depends on the situation)....

I don't know the family dynamic, but if it's a family of 4 and they worked 30+ hours and were thus offered coverage via their employer - family coverage could easily be $1,500 a month or more. Earning $40k a year just got reduced to $22k.

Working only 29 hours means they don't have coverage offered to them, so they can get a huge subsidy from Uncle Sam. Their subsidized coverage now may only be $150 (one tenth the amount), with the balance being paid by the government. Pretty sweet deal - work less and end up with more in your pocket.

The Special Enrollment Period ends this Thursday, April 30.

If you owed the fee for not having coverage in 2014, take advantage of this chance to get covered for 2015. To beat the deadline, you must enroll by April 30.

Get covered, avoid the fee. The fee for people who don’t have health coverageincreases in 2015 to $325 per person or 2% of your household income – whichever is greater. If you don’t sign up for health coverage, you won’t be covered this year and will risk having to pay the fee again next year. Take a few minutes today to learn about the options that are available and enroll in a plan that meets your needs.

Financial help is available: With tax credits through the Marketplace, 8 out of 10 people can find coverage for $100 or less a month.

We hope you take advantage of this extended opportunity to get quality coverage this year.

The HealthCare.gov Team

snogger said:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:

Clearly, not all of the spending reduction is due to the ACA; much is due to the recent recession and a long period of slow income growth, the growth of high deductible private health plans, cost constraints within state Medicaid programs, and Medicare policies unrelated to the ACA (e.g. sequestration)

Spending on Health care is going to continue to go down as long as People avoid using their insurance due to the Deductibles and Out of Pocket expenses....

But...what do you think will happen once all these people putting off "Minor" procedures get to a point where it is no longer a minor procedure and it becomes "Major" procedure?

Sure, the car will continue to run for awhile just fine.. But one day... BOOM and now that minor quart of oil just became an engine that needs replacing.. :oldunsure:
"Free" preventative care is certainly a step in the right direction. If I know my blood sugar is high now I might be able to make changes and avoid a decade of expensive diabetes meds. That has to be a great public good no?

Interesting side-effect of ACA (for me) is that it removes one more golden handcuff from Federal Employment.

A Fed in FERS has to work until minimum retirement age to be able to officially "retire", thereby acquiring the ability to continue with the Fed medical system after leaving the workforce. The Feds will continue to pay 68% of the premiums, worth about $11k/yr currently in the plan we happen to use.

Unless I see something indicating otherwise, ACA makes early retirement far more palatable because I won't feel like I'm leaving all kinds of money on the table in the form of that health care premiums cost-sharing. And I'm talking 14 years, from ages 51-65 (no kids, obv.). The one weird trick (currently) is that a household has to keep its MAGI below $63k to get a subsidy, thereby reducing the premiums I would pay to levels similar to what I currently pay as my portion for my FEHB.

That said, something feels odd about the results I got using the KFF calculator. I have a hard time believing that the steep cliff in subsidies will remain extant for very long. Currently the calculator says that if my MAGI is $63,000 I get $0 in subsidy, but if my MAGI is $62,900 the subsidy is over $800 per month. $10k/year! Can the system really be set up such that a $100 difference in income translates to a monthly premium drop from $1300 to $500 (ACA Silver, Manteo NC)? They are going to flatten that in the future, right? Any prognosticators here want to take a cut at the state of ACA subsidy calculation in 2021?

Regardless, I am wrapping my head around how to set up my finances to game the MAGI while still having a high real income to enjoy all those sun drenched days (while the taxpayer subsidizes my health care). :thumbup: Easily doable since many income sources don't count towards the MAGI. Roth (wife is older), premiums paid into our life insurance plans, hoarded cash of course...

To think I used to be anti-ACA!

snogger said:

"Free" preventative care is certainly a step in the right direction. If I know my blood sugar is high now I might be able to make changes and avoid a decade of expensive diabetes meds. That has to be a great public good no?
Yes, that is a good thing.. The things I'm talking about aren't "preventive" medicine but something like..

During a normal checkup doctor states that he hears a possible Heart murmur/issue and wants you to go in for more checkups that will cost much more.. You feel fine and are concerned that they might find something that will require "minor" surgery like insert a stint..and you don't have the money for the "minor" surgery right now.. So you decide to save money now and hope it gets better/ not worse..

A year later you have a full blown heart attack, end up in the emergency room for emergency surgery and spend the next week or two in ICU.. Now you've not only hit your Max. Out of Pocket, but the health cost to fix you now, compared to what it would have cost if you had "fixed" it when the first signs hit, are a lot more.

:shrug:

Interesting side-effect of ACA (for me) is that it removes one more golden handcuff from Federal Employment.

A Fed in FERS has to work until minimum retirement age to be able to officially "retire", thereby acquiring the ability to continue with the Fed medical system after leaving the workforce. The Feds will continue to pay 68% of the premiums, worth about $11k/yr currently in the plan we happen to use.

Unless I see something indicating otherwise, ACA makes early retirement far more palatable because I won't feel like I'm leaving all kinds of money on the table in the form of that health care premiums cost-sharing. And I'm talking 14 years, from ages 51-65 (no kids, obv.). The one weird trick (currently) is that a household has to keep its MAGI below $63k to get a subsidy, thereby reducing the premiums I would pay to levels similar to what I currently pay as my portion for my FEHB.

That said, something feels odd about the results I got using the KFF calculator. I have a hard time believing that the steep cliff in subsidies will remain extant for very long. Currently the calculator says that if my MAGI is $63,000 I get $0 in subsidy, but if my MAGI is $62,900 the subsidy is over $800 per month. $10k/year! Can the system really be set up such that a $100 difference in income translates to a monthly premium drop from $1300 to $500 (ACA Silver, Manteo NC)? They are going to flatten that in the future, right? Any prognosticators here want to take a cut at the state of ACA subsidy calculation in 2021?

Regardless, I am wrapping my head around how to set up my finances to game the MAGI while still having a high real income to enjoy all those sun drenched days (while the taxpayer subsidizes my health care). :thumbup: Easily doable since many income sources don't count towards the MAGI. Roth (wife is older), premiums paid into our life insurance plans, hoarded cash of course...

Yup, lots of people doing this. 63k is 400% of the poverty level for a family of 2, which you are. It's suppose to lower your after subsidy premium to 9.5% of your income - which is roughly $6k per year - and you gave the number of $500 per year which is $12k per year.

Even better (for you), as you get older and thus your unsubsidized premiums go up, so will your subsidy amount as your post subsidy figure is still suppose to be 9.5% of your income. So while your pre subsidy premium is currently 1,300 a month when you're 51, and your subsidy is $800 - when you're 60 and the pre subsidy premium is 2,000 your subsidy will grow to $1,500 a month to get your premium down to the same $500 a month (9.5% of your MAGI).

Yeah, free stuff is great, ain't it? Crazy that you seem happy to be openly "gaming the system" to your benefit.

Yup, lots of people doing this. 63k is 400% of the poverty level for a family of 2, which you are. It's suppose to lower your after subsidy premium to 9.5% of your income - which is roughly $6k per year - and you gave the number of $500 per year which is $12k per year.

Even better (for you), as you get older and thus your unsubsidized premiums go up, so will your subsidy amount as your post subsidy figure is still suppose to be 9.5% of your income. So while your pre subsidy premium is currently 1,300 a month when you're 51, and your subsidy is $800 - when you're 60 and the pre subsidy premium is 2,000 your subsidy will grow to $1,500 a month to get your premium down to the same $500 a month (9.5% of your MAGI).

Yeah, free stuff is great, ain't it? Crazy that you seem happy to be openly "gaming the system" to your benefit.
It's not much different than the tax code though. As long as people are playing by the rules, have at it as far as I'm concerned. It's not their fault the rules are poorly written. No reason not to take advantage of a loophole most likely caused by politics. It's one of the few advantages of politics for some.

It's not much different than the tax code though. As long as people are playing by the rules, have at it as far as I'm concerned. It's not their fault the rules are poorly written. No reason not to take advantage of a loophole most likely caused by politics. It's one of the few advantages of politics for some.
I wouldn't even call it a loop-hole. I just find it astounding that the subsidy kicks in so hard and fast. Which is why I'm kind of curious what the crowd thinks will be the eventual "stable state" subsidy paradigm 5-10 years down the road.

I can see the premiums subsidy being changed to:

10% if < 500% of poverty level

30% if < 400%

70% if < 300%, etc.

Not those exact numbers, of course, but a general flattening of the curve so people aren't doing idiotic gymnastics each year to try to "beat the system". I feel a little dirty trying, frankly, and my gloating was for entertainment purposes more than anything else.

Anyway, for the taxpayer my case comes out the same as far as health care costs. Either ACA subsidizes us $10k, or I stick around until retirement and the FEHB system subsidizes us $10k. And the taxpayer really is better off if people aren't "sticking around" at federal jobs if they have other places they want to be.

It probably should change, which means it won't. I wouldn't feel bad about taking advantage of bad rules though.

ETA: And you're right. It's not a loophole. I had the tax code on my mind when I made the comment. This is just a poorly written rule.

I wouldn't even call it a loop-hole. I just find it astounding that the subsidy kicks in so hard and fast. Which is why I'm kind of curious what the crowd thinks will be the eventual "stable state" subsidy paradigm 5-10 years down the road.

I can see the premiums subsidy being changed to:

10% if < 500% of poverty level

30% if < 400%

70% if < 300%, etc.

Not those exact numbers, of course, but a general flattening of the curve so people aren't doing idiotic gymnastics each year to try to "beat the system". I feel a little dirty trying, frankly, and my gloating was for entertainment purposes more than anything else.

Anyway, for the taxpayer my case comes out the same as far as health care costs. Either ACA subsidizes us $10k, or I stick around until retirement and the FEHB system subsidizes us $10k. And the taxpayer really is better off if people aren't "sticking around" at federal jobs if they have other places they want to be.
If someone was in your exact same shoes in terms of income, but were in their 30s the subsidy wouldn't be nearly as much as their cost of coverage would be much lower (maybe 800 a month rather than your 1,800 or whatever it was). The idea was to get your premium amount to 9.5% of income if you're right at 400% of the FPL, and a lower % as your income goes down.

Which is insane.
I'll be very happy, if it happens. It hasn't yet. What has, as well as what hasn't happened has been discussed here - what he brings is projections.

Of the 2.5T, just over half is Medicare and Medicaid spending reductions. I'm all for that, as if those weren't contained the wild spending growth of both would have surely crippled our nation. Also, directly from the study - "Clearly, not all of the spending reduction is due to the ACA; much is due to the recent recession and a long period of slow income growth, the growth of high deductible private health plans, cost constraints within state Medicaid programs, and Medicare policies unrelated to the ACA (e.g. sequestration). But it is also likely that the law contributed; though how much is impossible to estimate." So again, let's not give all the credit to the ACA - which again, it's all bad (and I've said that before).
The savings in those years haven't yet been realized of course and things could change, but a good deal of that reduction are the lower costs from the past five years being baked in.

What do you guys think of the argument I've been hearing that higher deductibles caused by ACA actually lower overall health care costs, because consumers are being more choosy about what procedures to pay for, they're shopping around more, and doctors are more cautious to order tests? If true, these are actually free market type of results that ACA has given us.

ETA if this sort of thing actually works, it might give credence to the notion that Cap and Trade might also work: government action prodding the free market to produce unforeseen positive results.

Vacation home is the way to go to get that MAGI down to where you need it. Besides getting us to pay for you insurance, you get the benefit of a place to stay when your drenching yourself in sun and can write off 50% of your meal costs.

wait...what? Sorry if these are dumb questions. It's hard to understand the side of this industry that faces me. I can't imagine what it's like under the covers. So when you say providers do you mean insurance providers or healthcare providers?
I mean the health care providers and their staffs that you face. One of the reasons is because your insurance card may or may not indicate the actual "program" your plan is in. A carrier likely negotiated rates with the provider for each of the major programs the carrier offers in the region (something like 115% of Medicare for this type of service, 118% for another, 97% for a few things) and then just uses some other "mystery" criteria for out of region programs. A carrier that is buying up competitors such as United might have a half dozen regional products and countless others. So the provider could theoretically know those half dozen rates there is still no way (at least with United) to know which one applies

However, since in the real world that provider most likely works for a larger organization who did all of the negotiating. And those rates are closely guarded "trade secrets" that information isn't shared with the provider or his staff,

What do you guys think of the argument I've been hearing that higher deductibles caused by ACA actually lower overall health care costs, because consumers are being more choosy about what procedures to pay for, they're shopping around more, and doctors are more cautious to order tests? If true, these are actually free market type of results that ACA has given us.
Hard to give an opinion just on these little tidbits. I'm willing to bet there is a notion that the more the person is educated on their health care, the better choices they will choose.

ignoring that deductibles going up both predates the ACA and have settled down since the ACA along with the ACA's involvement with deductibles is to cap them then of course higher deductibles contribute to containing cost. Of course Snogger's concern of skipping needed treatment is one of the drawbacks. That fear, however didn't get created by the ACA.

ETA if this sort of thing actually works, it might give credence to the notion that Cap and Trade might also work: government action prodding the free market to produce unforeseen positive results.
High deductible health plans were available long before the ACA. Higher deductibles have always meant lower premiums, this is nothing new. When premiums went up (due to the ACA), then to offset them deductibles went up - so you sying that the "higher deductibles caused by the ACA" - you're saying that premiums would have gone up otherwise (or in many cases as well).

snogger said:

Also, as I've stated numerous times..Spending on Health care is going to continue to go down as long as People avoid using their insurance due to the Deductibles and Out of Pocket expenses....

Then why do you keep suggesting if not outright saying that the ACA is the source, or the primary source of higher deductibles? The cost shifting trend from employers to employees which includes higher deductibles not only predates the passage of the ACA, but it is one of major drivers that had the electorate forcing health care reform as one of the top issues during the 2008 election.

But the truth is that deductibles have settled down some compared to the years leading up to the passage.

ESI, which dwarfs everything else

2006 : $584

2007 : $616 +5% vs 3.2% inflation

2008 : $735 +19% vs 2,8% inflation

2009 : $826 +12% vs 3.8% inflation

2010 : $917 +11% vs -.4% inflation

2011 : $991 +8% vs 1.6% inflation

2012 : $1,097 +10% vs 3.2% inflation

2013 : $1,135 +3% vs 2.1% inflation

2014 : $1,217 +7% vs 1.5% inflation

Family is a bit harder and less as there isn't a total. Combining this distribution and these averages I get these totals, but I don't trust this methodology is the same (i.e. it doesn't reflect changing mixes of plan types). So take with a grain of salt!

2006 : $1,497.71

2007 : $1,529.79 +2%

2008 : $1,777.01 +16%

2009 : $1,961.64 +10%

2010 : $1,988.41 +1%

2011 : $1,950.21 ---

2012 : $2,157.21 +11%

2013 : $2,343.39 +9%

2014 : $2,537.96 + 8%

Even if my methodology for family coverage is flawed I don't think any of the numbers can suggest that the ACA has brought deductible issues where they didn't already exist. (Other than capping catastrophic plans that matttyl has and sells.)

As for your analogy :thumbup: , but I've already posted this several times.

High deductible health plans were available long before the ACA. Higher deductibles have always meant lower premiums, this is nothing new. When premiums went up (due to the ACA), then to offset them deductibles went up - so you sying that the "higher deductibles caused by the ACA" - you're saying that premiums would have gone up otherwise (or in many cases as well).
i wasn't speaking of premiums going down, I was suggesting that the total cost of healthcare would go down if higher deductibles became the norm.

i wasn't speaking of premiums going down, I was suggesting that the total cost of healthcare would go down if higher deductibles became the norm.

Well no ####, Tim. Now no one can afford to go to the Dr anymore deductibles and copays are jacked up so high, as well as premiums for the non-subsidized Americans (which is most everyone).

Well no ####, Tim. Now no one can afford to go to the Dr anymore deductibles and copays are jacked up so high, as well as premiums for the non-subsidized Americans (which is most everyone).
And that's not exactly the argument that I've been hearing either. But OK.

Idiots at the Marketplace cancelled my gf's policy today. She was doing her obligation to report her revised 2014 agi. Stupid rep rolled that number into the 2015 data which changed her plan. She may have gotten it sorted out but was disconnected at 45 minutes on the phone. Thank goodness she has someone like matttyl to help her get things fixed tomorrow.

They are becoming the norm, hence the total cost of healthcare apparently slowing in it's growth.

snogger said:

Also, as I've stated numerous times..Spending on Health care is going to continue to go down as long as People avoid using their insurance due to the Deductibles and Out of Pocket expenses....

Then why do you keep suggesting if not outright saying that the ACA is the source, or the primary source of higher deductibles?

As for your analogy :thumbup: , but I've already posted this several times.
From my personal experience, my out of pocket expenses have increased more in the past two years then they had pre-ACA..

I don't think ACA is solely to blame.. But, per the articles I've posted, since the ACA went into effect, more people then ever are avoiding "minor" procedures ....

It is basically the same as saying that the ACA is responsible for Health Cost spending being held in check..

The ACA is a component of a larger picture and therefore credit and blame should be laid out evenly. ;)

Also.. :thumbup: to your link to the Oil filter :lol:

Idiots at the Marketplace cancelled my gf's policy today. She was doing her obligation to report her revised 2014 agi. Stupid rep rolled that number into the 2015 data which changed her plan. She may have gotten it sorted out but was disconnected at 45 minutes on the phone. Thank goodness she has someone like matttyl to help her get things fixed tomorrow.
This is becoming a problem for people. As tax returns are being filed for 2014 the Marketplace is adjusting subsidies for this year. The problem is they are doing it wrong. I've got several people who have had their subsidies cut because they are figuring income incorrectly. This is especially true for anyone receiving social security or with a spouse receiving social security. They are adding in the entire social security paid rather than the taxable amount. Now they have to appeal that decision. This takes more than a little time, and in the meantime their premiums have been adjusted higher. And even when they win their appeal any lost subsidies won't be recaptured until they do their taxes for 2015.

You would think it this should not be a problem since they can see the adjusted gross income which should be used to figure a subsidy. But even when the tax return is sent in to verify last year's income that isn't good enough.

This is becoming a problem for people. As tax returns are being filed for 2014 the Marketplace is adjusting subsidies for this year. The problem is they are doing it wrong. I've got several people who have had their subsidies cut because they are figuring income incorrectly. This is especially true for anyone receiving social security or with a spouse receiving social security. They are adding in the entire social security paid rather than the taxable amount. Now they have to appeal that decision. This takes more than a little time, and in the meantime their premiums have been adjusted higher. And even when they win their appeal any lost subsidies won't be recaptured until they do their taxes for 2015.

You would think it this should not be a problem since they can see the adjusted gross income which should be used to figure a subsidy. But even when the tax return is sent in to verify last year's income that isn't good enough.
It's even worse for the lower income people. They can lose their plan if they aren't paying attention. That likely means they would be started on a new deductible even though we're part way though the year. Have fun sorting that out with a Blue Cross rep on the phone. They could also lose their subsidy altogether.

eta - What really pisses me off is that the gov't has hired incompetent people to administer this program. They don't understand the law, they don't understand what they are doing.

If someone was in your exact same shoes in terms of income, but were in their 30s the subsidy wouldn't be nearly as much as their cost of coverage would be much lower (maybe 800 a month rather than your 1,800 or whatever it was). The idea was to get your premium amount to 9.5% of income if you're right at 400% of the FPL, and a lower % as your income goes down.
Thank you, Matt - that makes sense. And for that reason I doubt it changes much in the next 10 years.

BassNBrew said:
fourd said:
BassNBrew said:
This is becoming a problem for people. As tax returns are being filed for 2014 the Marketplace is adjusting subsidies for this year. The problem is they are doing it wrong. I've got several people who have had their subsidies cut because they are figuring income incorrectly. This is especially true for anyone receiving social security or with a spouse receiving social security. They are adding in the entire social security paid rather than the taxable amount. Now they have to appeal that decision. This takes more than a little time, and in the meantime their premiums have been adjusted higher. And even when they win their appeal any lost subsidies won't be recaptured until they do their taxes for 2015.You would think it this should not be a problem since they can see the adjusted gross income which should be used to figure a subsidy. But even when the tax return is sent in to verify last year's income that isn't good enough.
It's even worse for the lower income people. They can lose their plan if they aren't paying attention. That likely means they would be started on a new deductible even though we're part way though the year. Have fun sorting that out with a Blue Cross rep on the phone. They could also lose their subsidy altogether.

eta - What really pisses me off is that the gov't has hired incompetent people to administer this program. They don't understand the law, they don't understand what they are doing.
I always find it odd when folks who constantly whine about the costs of a policy are then angry that the govt isn't spending more on that program when they are personally affected.

BassNBrew said:
fourd said:
BassNBrew said:
This is becoming a problem for people. As tax returns are being filed for 2014 the Marketplace is adjusting subsidies for this year. The problem is they are doing it wrong. I've got several people who have had their subsidies cut because they are figuring income incorrectly. This is especially true for anyone receiving social security or with a spouse receiving social security. They are adding in the entire social security paid rather than the taxable amount. Now they have to appeal that decision. This takes more than a little time, and in the meantime their premiums have been adjusted higher. And even when they win their appeal any lost subsidies won't be recaptured until they do their taxes for 2015.You would think it this should not be a problem since they can see the adjusted gross income which should be used to figure a subsidy. But even when the tax return is sent in to verify last year's income that isn't good enough.

I always find it odd when folks who constantly whine about the costs of a policy are then angry that the govt isn't spending more on that program when they are personally affected.
Where did that happen? He's angry that the money they spent wasn't spent wisely. Hire competent people, don't waste money.

BassNBrew said:
fourd said:
BassNBrew said:

Where did that happen? He's angry that the money they spent wasn't spent wisely. Hire competent people, don't waste money.
Re-read the nested quotes - Bass' GF was the victim off poor service.

And hiring more competent people generally means spending more money. Who knew you were in favor of increasing he costs of the ACA?

BassNBrew said:
fourd said:
BassNBrew said:

Exactly. What BassNBrew said would save money. Now we have people making incorrect decisions which leads to the following -

Insured is notified that their subsidy is going down.

They appeal, which requires someone at the Marketplace to handle the appeal and send a response.

Insured receives the response along with the next steps.

They spend a few hours on the phone trying to get this worked out, since the fix is very simple.

Still not worked out, the insured gets a letter saying their appeal will be heard over the phone at 2 PM Central time on May 7th. They are required to call in 15 minutes early.

They can also request a complete copy of their case file to be mailed to them, along with having any representative they want on the phone at the same time.

Seems like a great use of resources. Let's repeat this how many times? Of course in Tgunz's world if we just spent more we'd get greater competence.

BassNBrew said:
fourd said:
BassNBrew said:

And hiring more competent people generally means spending more money. Who knew you were in favor of increasing he costs of the ACA?
This doesn't require hiring more competent people. We're not talking brain surgery or some complicated job requiring years of education and experience.

BassNBrew said:
fourd said:
BassNBrew said:

How about hiring more competent people from the start - or electing them for that matter?

Users who are viewing this thread