What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (4 Viewers)

Survey finds state policies have critical impact on ACA applications, enrollment

A new survey by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health finds that the variable approaches states have taken to implementing the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have had major effects on whether low-income adults are aware of the law, whether they have applied and obtained coverage, and whether or not they think the law has helped them.

:

:

Surprisingly, more than half of low-income adults in the study said they had heard little or nothing about the law’s new coverage options.

:shock: well not really.

Whatever happened to the "insurance guy"? I am guessing this is what matttyl is, but it seems like there aren't nearly enough in his profession anymore. I remember the days when our insurance guy would come to our house and go over our needs with my parents to make sure we had what we needed and were covered appropriately. I couldn't tell you where I'd have to go to find someone like that in my town today. No idea.

The SC will render an opinion soon on the legality of state run exchanges receiving subsidies. Do you think SC will strike down or keep state exchanges intact?

Whatever happened to the "insurance guy"? I am guessing this is what matttyl is, but it seems like there aren't nearly enough in his profession anymore. I remember the days when our insurance guy would come to our house and go over our needs with my parents to make sure we had what we needed and were covered appropriately. I couldn't tell you where I'd have to go to find someone like that in my town today. No idea.
Much of that issue now comes in where people see different people for different things. Years ago one agent could help you with your auto, home, life, health, and whatever else you needed. My agency still does this, but with a few different agents doing different things. More-so now, though, people will deal with different agencies and different carriers for each of their products. They might have their homeowners with Farmers, their auto with State Farm, their life with MetLife and their health with BCBS - each with a different agent.

The SC will render an opinion soon on the legality of state run exchanges receiving subsidies. Do you think SC will strike down or keep state exchanges intact?
That's the (likely) trillion dollar question right now. Given the huge turmoil that a "strike down decision" will bring on (after the huge turmoil that the ACA brought onto the individual market just last year), I'm really hoping they don't.

Somewhere in between.
100% expect status quo. SCOTUS has moved beyond legal decisions into political decisions. They won't rock the boat.
As much as I want to disagree with this, I can't. I just don't see the SC ruling them illegal, unfortunately. Declaring them illegal is the RIGHT decision, but Roberts showed he wasn't interested in making the right decision but a political one instead.

Obama and the left got to Roberts last time and he caved. They're putting the same full-court press on him this time too and I don't see how he holds up since he fell so easily last time.

I learn something new every day about this stuff. Didn't put this together till now....

If the SCOTUS strikes down subsidies, it will also affect the employer mandate to provide health insurance for employees or pay a fine — the penalty only applies if the employee receives a subsidy. If people are no longer eligible for subsidies, then employers won’t have to pay penalties.

To sum it up americans are cheap, people think a 5 minute google is good enough to make major financial decisions and agents cost money.

Think the difference between Progressive and State Farm. Progressive is cheap has far lower staff levels so help is limited. State Farm has agents that will explain the contract and help you make good decisions and more staff to help after a loss, but you get what you pay for and it will cost more.

There are way more Keystone Light insurance companies than Guinness these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
To sum it up americans are cheap, people think a 5 minute google is good enough to make major financial decisions and agents cost money.

Think the difference between Progressive and State Farm. Progressive is cheap has far lower staff levels so help is limited. State Farm has agents that will explain the contract and help you make good decisions and more staff to help after a loss, but you get what you pay for and it will cost more.

There are way more Keystone Light insurance companies than Guinness these days.
Yes and no. The Keystone Lights are just much bigger. The Guinness companies, and there are many of them, typically don't have the huge customer base.

Well, Assurant couldn't find a buy for it's individual health insurance business - they were only able to sell off parts of their small group and supplemental plan segments. Moreover the will stop selling individual major medical plans in 5 days (mid year). That's crazy that a carrier can leave the market mid year. Sucks for people who have "qualifying events" the rest of this year, they'll have one less option of carriers to pick from.

I learn something new every day about this stuff. Didn't put this together till now....

If the SCOTUS strikes down subsidies, it will also affect the employer mandate to provide health insurance for employees or pay a fine — the penalty only applies if the employee receives a subsidy. If people are no longer eligible for subsidies, then employers won’t have to pay penalties.
That subset of $46 billion or so over ten years is really the entire reason for the action. At least originally.

Interesting - if the SCOTUS strikes down subsidies, most Americans want the mandates in the coverage to go away thus making the coverage cheaper. Said in another way, they'd want the market to go back to the way it was prior to the ACA.

Oh, and Ohio's ACA expansion is already $1B over budget and growing.

Tomboy never disappoints.

What we need to do is look at what works for other countries and adopt them here. France has a combination public private system, but profit is not a good system for healthcare, it works for some things and public systems work for others.

We spend double the rest of the world and triple what Japan spends.

I would have passed medicare for all when Obama first took office, letting those under 65 buy in at cost, making it harder to demonize because people know what it is for the most part.

It's a god but not great system but a lot better than insurance companies.
Can you tell me how great Medicare would be if people didn't buy supplements from insurance companies?
looking at these deductibles people are getting they are going to have to get supplemental insurance for them.

Glad to see that they vetted the people they hired to help enroll people.

This wasn't the first time something like this happened, and it won't be the last.
From a letter I received, "On January 29, 2015, Anthem, Inc discovered that cyber attackers executed a sophisticated attack to gain unauthorized access to Anthem's IT system and obtained personal information relating to consumers who were or are currently covered by Anthem or other independent BCBS plans that work with Anthem. ….suspicious activity may have occurred over the course of several weeks...

Jamny recommended I post this here (thanks Jamny!)

My father recently had trouble getting out of bed and his left leg started dragging when he walked so he went to the Dr. The diagnosis is stage 4 lung cancer along with two tumors in his brain.

He is 71 and has been unemployed and collecting SS for the last 3 or so years. He has Medicare Part A which covers hospital visits but did not sign up for Medicare Part B which covers the treatments they are recommending for him (first, cyberknife for the brain tumors then chemo or other drugs to 'maintain' the lung cancer). He didn't sign up for Medicare Part B because he couldn't/wouldn't pay the premiums and didn't tell my brother or me so he has no coverage for the treatments.

Is there any way to get him on Medicare Part B immediately? I read the Medicare web site and the earliest he could sign up would be next January and then benefits wouldn't kick in for another six months or so and I don't think he has that kind of time.

The FFA has always been a great resource so I would appreciate any advice or recommendations from anyone that may have had a similar experience or has expertise in this area.

I know he put himself in this situation but I'm just trying to help my dad and it feels kind of hopeless right now.....

My father recently had trouble getting out of bed and his left leg started dragging when he walked so he went to the Dr. The diagnosis is stage 4 lung cancer along with two tumors in his brain.

He is 71 and has been unemployed and collecting SS for the last 3 or so years. He has Medicare Part A which covers hospital visits but did not sign up for Medicare Part B which covers the treatments they are recommending for him (first, cyberknife for the brain tumors then chemo or other drugs to 'maintain' the lung cancer). He didn't sign up for Medicare Part B because he couldn't/wouldn't pay the premiums and didn't tell my brother or me so he has no coverage for the treatments.

Is there any way to get him on Medicare Part B immediately? I read the Medicare web site and the earliest he could sign up would be next January and then benefits wouldn't kick in for another six months or so and I don't think he has that kind of time.

The FFA has always been a great resource so I would appreciate any advice or recommendations from anyone that may have had a similar experience or has expertise in this area.

I know he put himself in this situation but I'm just trying to help my dad and it feels kind of hopeless right now.....
I'm very sorry for your situation. The answer, unfortunately, is no. The earliest he could sign up would be what you said above. The only caveat to this, which I doubt would/could apply is if he gets hired by an employer with over 20 people, and then loses that coverage. That would be a "qualifying event" in which to enroll in part B now, I believe. You may want to look into Medicaid in your state.

I'm very sorry for your situation. The answer, unfortunately, is no. The earliest he could sign up would be what you said above. The only caveat to this, which I doubt would/could apply is if he gets hired by an employer with over 20 people, and then loses that coverage. That would be a "qualifying event" in which to enroll in part B now, I believe. You may want to look into Medicaid in your state.
Can he not just go sign up for an insurance plan on healthcare.gov?

By the way, why did they choose healthcare.gov as the domain? Why not federalinsurance.gov or some such?

The Commish said:
matttyl said:
Gee Spot said:

By the way, why did they choose healthcare.gov as the domain? Why not federalinsurance.gov or some such?
No, he's over 65 (and choose not be to on part B) and it's not open enrollment right now anyway.

The Commish said:
matttyl said:
Gee Spot said:

No, he's over 65 (and choose not be to on part B) and it's not open enrollment right now anyway.
Thanks to you both for the responses.

Audit only looking at subsidies paid from January to April of 2014 (when the total enrollment on the exchange was relatively small) found $2.8 billion in payments to carriers as "unverified". Yup, nearly $3b unaccounted for in the first 4 months of the exchanges alone. But what's a few billion here and there.....?
We talked about technical checks and balances really early in this thread. I'm as surprised today as I was then that this is the case. It's been a long standing policy in Washington to "not worry too much" about tracking components of programs.

Audit only looking at subsidies paid from January to April of 2014 (when the total enrollment on the exchange was relatively small) found $2.8 billion in payments to carriers as "unverified". Yup, nearly $3b unaccounted for in the first 4 months of the exchanges alone. But what's a few billion here and there.....?
The Financial Management portion of the exchange wasn't really even going by that point. There are much better controls in place now, though that doesn't do anything about the past I realize.

Thought I would bump this thread as there is talk that the SCOTUS might make their decision in the next few days. I thought it wouldn't be till the end of the month, but I think I heard on "Good morning America" this morning that it could happen today.

Anyway, a good read on what it all means is here.

I think the biggest problem we're facing it right in the article, but it's not about these exchanges: "Earlier this year, Joe, 64, developed cardiac problems during a routine stress test. He was rushed to the hospital, where his overnight stay exceeded $35,000." The cost of care, not the cost of insurance, has always been the issue.

Thought I would bump this thread as there is talk that the SCOTUS might make their decision in the next few days. I thought it wouldn't be till the end of the month, but I think I heard on "Good morning America" this morning that it could happen today.

Anyway, a good read on what it all means is here.

I think the biggest problem we're facing it right in the article, but it's not about these exchanges: "Earlier this year, Joe, 64, developed cardiac problems during a routine stress test. He was rushed to the hospital, where his overnight stay exceeded $35,000." The cost of care, not the cost of insurance, has always been the issue.
This cannot be said enough.

Obama is already somewhat blasting the supreme court in anticipation of a ruling on subsidies, whether law intended to NOT subsidies state run exchanges. I thought that was intentionally written in the law as Gruber admitted. How can Obama say that is not the intent now?
The law's intent or not, I don't think Obama as President should be discussing what cases the Supreme Court should and shouldn't be taking on. That isn't his place.
This isn't new - Obama has completely forgotten that there are three equal branches of government. He pitched a hissy fit when Netanyahu came to speak to Congress.

Somewhere in between.
100% expect status quo. SCOTUS has moved beyond legal decisions into political decisions. They won't rock the boat.
As much as I want to disagree with this, I can't. I just don't see the SC ruling them illegal, unfortunately. Declaring them illegal is the RIGHT decision, but Roberts showed he wasn't interested in making the right decision but a political one instead.

Obama and the left got to Roberts last time and he caved. They're putting the same full-court press on him this time too and I don't see how he holds up since he fell so easily last time.
Honestly I can't see how this shouldn't be 9-0. It is as clear as anything I've seen. The law was clear. There was overwhelming evidence it was constructed that way on purpose. I don't see how SCOTUS can then turn around and say the law really doesn't say what it says nor what it was meant to say.

The parsing of the subject in this thread has filled me with enough despair that I simply haven't been able to participate. Instead, would anyone let me know if, in 387 pages, anyone has brought up the question of why American business isn't in favor of single payer health care and getting out of this responsibility? Maybe it is and it's just keeping it on the Q-T, for all I know.

Thanks in advance and may the Lord's blessings go with you all.

roadkill1292 said:
The parsing of the subject in this thread has filled me with enough despair that I simply haven't been able to participate. Instead, would anyone let me know if, in 387 pages, anyone has brought up the question of why American business isn't in favor of single payer health care and getting out of this responsibility? Maybe it is and it's just keeping it on the Q-T, for all I know.

Thanks in advance and may the Lord's blessings go with you all.
probably because they can self-insurance and skim off the top

In a 280 to 140 vote, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed the Protect Medical Innovation Act (HR 160), which would repeal the 2.3% medical device excise tax.

:thumbup:

In a 280 to 140 vote, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed the Protect Medical Innovation Act (HR 160), which would repeal the 2.3% medical device excise tax.

I assume the 140 votes against were tea party Republicans who are upset that this would add to the budget deficit?ETA: actually, this adds 26 billion to the budget deficit over the next decade. http://www.cbpp.org/research/health/excise-tax-on-medical-devices-should-not-be-repealed

In summary, the next time Tea Party Republicans talk about the deficit, remember that they only care about spending when it goes to poor people and minorities. Billion dollar giveaways to lucrative industries like the medical device business are A okay.

I assume the 140 votes against were tea party Republicans who are upset that this would add to the budget deficit?ETA: actually, this adds 26 billion to the budget deficit over the next decade. http://www.cbpp.org/research/health/excise-tax-on-medical-devices-should-not-be-repealed

In summary, the next time Tea Party Republicans talk about the deficit, remember that they only care about spending when it goes to poor people and minorities. Billion dollar giveaways to lucrative industries like the medical device business are A okay.
:lmao:

What in the hell are you babbling about?

So first Rx companies got off scot free, now medical device companies will as well. But not insurance companies....oh no. They can be taxed, and were tens of billions last year alone - and they passed it right onto the consumers.

So first Rx companies got off scot free, now medical device companies will as well. But not insurance companies....oh no. They can be taxed, and were tens of billions last year alone - and they passed it right onto the consumers.
Yes.. I feel terrible for the insurance companies. They always get the short end of the stick amiright?

Yes.. I feel terrible for the insurance companies. They always get the short end of the stick amiright?
I'm not saying they do or they don't. It's obvious that any tax levied on the Rx company, the medical device company, or the insurance company was just going to be passed onto the consumer. This is exactly what happened with the insurance companies passing their additional cost right onto the insured (they didn't hide it at all), and it was tens of billions last year alone. The difference, to me, is that Rx companies make significantly more than the insurance companies. I believe the stat is that the top 3 or 4 or 5 insurance companies combined last year (or the year before, I don't recall) didn't make as much as the top Rx manufacturer.

Oops facts: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/obamacare-repeal-congressional-budget-office-deficit-119228.html?ml=po

Repealing the ACA would add $353B to the budget deficit Over the next decade.
Or $137B. And in fact lower the budget deficit in the first few years - enough time to enact meaningful working legislation.

"But repealing the law's spending cuts and tax increases would add $137 billion to the federal deficit over the coming decade, CBO said in the report issued Friday, even though almost $1.7 trillion in coverage costs would disappear. Repeal would reduce deficits in the first few years but increase them steadily as time goes on."

The 140 votes were all Democrats.

The 140 votes were all Democrats.
Oops, facts: FINAL VOTE RESULTS FOR ROLL CALL 375.

Users who are viewing this thread