What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (3 Viewers)

roadkill1292 said:
The parsing of the subject in this thread has filled me with enough despair that I simply haven't been able to participate. Instead, would anyone let me know if, in 387 pages, anyone has brought up the question of why American business isn't in favor of single payer health care and getting out of this responsibility? Maybe it is and it's just keeping it on the Q-T, for all I know.

Thanks in advance and may the Lord's blessings go with you all.
probably because they can self-insurance and skim off the top
And possibly put the brakes on worker bee mobility. But I would think the overall cost savings, millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours annually for my employer, would be their greatest concerns. But it mystifies me that we never hear a peep from American business about a topic that affects it hugely.

In a 280 to 140 vote, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed the Protect Medical Innovation Act (HR 160), which would repeal the 2.3% medical device excise tax.

:thumbup:
So first Rx companies got off scot free, now medical device companies will as well. But not insurance companies....oh no. They can be taxed, and were tens of billions last year alone - and they passed it right onto the consumers.
The bolded is really the point here. It makes no difference whether the medical device tax is on or off. It it's on, the costs get passed to consumers. If it's off, the costs get passed to the taxpayers. Either way, the people end up paying.

Soonerman said:
tommyGunZ said:
matuski said:
In a 280 to 140 vote, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed the Protect Medical Innovation Act (HR 160), which would repeal the 2.3% medical device excise tax.

I assume the 140 votes against were tea party Republicans who are upset that this would add to the budget deficit?ETA: actually, this adds 26 billion to the budget deficit over the next decade. http://www.cbpp.org/research/health/excise-tax-on-medical-devices-should-not-be-repealed

In summary, the next time Tea Party Republicans talk about the deficit, remember that they only care about spending when it goes to poor people and minorities. Billion dollar giveaways to lucrative industries like the medical device business are A okay.
The 140 votes were all Democrats.
Good stuff.

Soonerman said:
tommyGunZ said:
matuski said:

I assume the 140 votes against were tea party Republicans who are upset that this would add to the budget deficit?

ETA: actually, this adds 26 billion to the budget deficit over the next decade. http://www.cbpp.org/research/health/excise-tax-on-medical-devices-should-not-be-repealed

In summary, the next time Tea Party Republicans talk about the deficit, remember that they only care about spending when it goes to poor people and minorities. Billion dollar giveaways to lucrative industries like the medical device business are A okay.
The 140 votes were all Democrats.
:whoosh:

Just Win Baby said:

Good stuff.

Nothing gets past you guys!

:lmao:

Ok, I don't quite get this....

Carriers in Oregon asked for low rate increases, but the state came back and approved much larger increase instead?

"For example, Oregon's Health CO-OP asked for a 5.3-percent average rate increase for next year, but the state's preliminary decision calls for a 19.9 percent average hike for that insurer's plans. Trillium Community Health Plan requested a 5 percent average increase, but the state wants 12.4 percent hike."

Also, didn't TGunz want to bet me that the large proposed rate hikes wouldn't be approved? Well....

"The Oregonian noted that Moda Health Plan, which covers almost half of Oregon's 220,000 people who buy their own private health insurance, asked and received approval for rates that are 25.6 percent higher on average."

matttyl said:

Carriers in Oregon asked for low rate increases, but the state came back and approved much larger increase instead?

"For example, Oregon's Health CO-OP asked for a 5.3-percent average rate increase for next year, but the state's preliminary decision calls for a 19.9 percent average hike for that insurer's plans. Trillium Community Health Plan requested a 5 percent average increase, but the state wants 12.4 percent hike."

Also, didn't TGunz want to bet me that the large proposed rate hikes wouldn't be approved? Well....

"The Oregonian noted that Moda Health Plan, which covers almost half of Oregon's 220,000 people who buy their own private health insurance, asked and received approval for rates that are 25.6 percent higher on average."
It could be a solvency or competition issue. Those are the most common reasons for a over approved increase in auto.

matttyl said:

That's money in the bank my friend. I believe TGunz owes you. How much did you bet? Do you remember?

He'll probably welch on the bet like the dude that welched onTim.

matttyl said:

Oops, facts.

matttyl said:

Whats not to get?

Link

State Insurance Commissioner Laura Cali said that while her job is to make sure consumers are not overcharged, she also has to ensure rates cover insurers' costs. Otherwise, predatory pricing could over the long term drive some companies out of the market. She said that Oregon is likely to still enjoy better rates than other states thanks to one of the most competitive markets in the country.

While I'm not certain that her interpretation of her job description is very common, her logic seems sound to me. Her state has low rates, and will still have relatively low rates because there are lots of plans in the market. She is going to keep it that way by preventing the "loss leader" pricing we have talked about in this thread in her state even if it means having to face the kind of bump that most of the rest of nation had already seen two years ago.

Oregon did not see the big hikes in 2014 that other states did, and state officials have often boasted that Oregonians enjoyed some the lowest premiums in the nation.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/msnbc-roasts-white-house-for-downplaying-grubers-role-in-obamacare/article/2566758

MSNBC roasts White House for downplaying Gruber's role in Obamacare

Elizabeth Potter • | June 22, 2015 | 12:23 pm

MSNBC's "Morning Joe" slammed the Obama administration after emails were recovered suggesting that MIT economist Jonathan Gruber had a larger role in developing the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare than initially acknowledged.
The Obama administration was not "fully forthcoming" on Gruber's role, author Mark Halperin said on "Morning Joe."

"I owe my Republican sources an apology, because they kept telling me he was hugely involved and the White House played it down," Halperin said. "They were right. The Republicans were right … I think they [White House staff] were not fully forthcoming."

RELATED: Bombshell email release reveals how closely Obamacare 'architect' Gruber worked with White House

Obama's team distanced itself from Gruber last November after it was revealed that Gruber had used phrases such as the "stupidity of the American voter" and noting the "huge political advantage" politicians had in passing Obamacare with little transparency. Gruber apologized before Congress and called his quotes "glib," the Free Beacon reported.

But emails released to the Wall Street Journal indicate that Gruber was in frequent touch with the White House about the healthcare law and his press interviews about the law.

According to the Journal, Gruber was in touch with the director of the Office of Management Budget, and advisers to President Obama like Joshua Furman and Ezekiel Emanuel. One email showed Gruber was invited to meet with Obama himself.

Hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski asked former Democratic Party chair Howard Dean and former Democratic congressman Harold Ford if the Obama administration had lied about Gruber's involvement, and both men said they were not "fully forthcoming."

"Mika, let me see if one person will talk straight," Scarborough said. "The White House assured us that Mr. Gruber was a bit player. It appears now that was not true. Did the White House lie about Mr. Gruber's involvement?"

"It certainly appears they did," Brzezinski said.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/msnbc-roasts-white-house-for-downplaying-grubers-role-in-obamacare/article/2566758

MSNBC's "Morning Joe" slammed the Obama administration after emails were recovered suggesting that MIT economist Jonathan Gruber had a larger role in developing the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare than initially acknowledged.
The Obama administration was not "fully forthcoming" on Gruber's role, author Mark Halperin said on "Morning Joe."

"I owe my Republican sources an apology, because they kept telling me he was hugely involved and the White House played it down," Halperin said. "They were right. The Republicans were right … I think they [White House staff] were not fully forthcoming."

RELATED: Bombshell email release reveals how closely Obamacare 'architect' Gruber worked with White House

Obama's team distanced itself from Gruber last November after it was revealed that Gruber had used phrases such as the "stupidity of the American voter" and noting the "huge political advantage" politicians had in passing Obamacare with little transparency. Gruber apologized before Congress and called his quotes "glib," the Free Beacon reported.

But emails released to the Wall Street Journal indicate that Gruber was in frequent touch with the White House about the healthcare law and his press interviews about the law.

According to the Journal, Gruber was in touch with the director of the Office of Management Budget, and advisers to President Obama like Joshua Furman and Ezekiel Emanuel. One email showed Gruber was invited to meet with Obama himself.

Hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski asked former Democratic Party chair Howard Dean and former Democratic congressman Harold Ford if the Obama administration had lied about Gruber's involvement, and both men said they were not "fully forthcoming."

"Mika, let me see if one person will talk straight," Scarborough said. "The White House assured us that Mr. Gruber was a bit player. It appears now that was not true. Did the White House lie about Mr. Gruber's involvement?"

So....the WH lied again? This is news? Obama is a serial liar. Not sure why anyone would believe what comes out of his mouth. He (and the rest of the Democrats) have shown that no level is too low for them to get what they want.

For fooks sakes, he got the 2013 lie of the year "if you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan".

At least one of the "R"'s looks like it will work better than expected for 2014-

a $10 billion cushion that the Affordable Care Act created to protect insurance companies from high-cost patients turned out to be more than needed, the government announced yesterday.
A few points in this....

First, you know where that $10B came from, right? It didn't just come out of thin air. It was a tax levied against all those individuals in the employer market ($63 per person). So if you're a family of 4 on an employer plan, you paid an extra $252 last year (or your employer did, or a combination of the two) just because of this part of the ACA - and all of that money went to this "pool". It was equal to 158,730,158 people each being charged an extra $63 in 2014 for their employer sponsored coverage.

The reason that it was "more than needed" is that enrollment on the exchanges was lower than anticipated. Crazy how enrolling fewer people than was expected is now a "good thing".

Also funny how the end of the first paragraph and the start of the second reads "...triggering a cycle of ever higher costs for insurers and steep premium hikes for consumers. That didn't happen." In fact, that's exactly what happened, and is shown to be the case in the above Oregon rate approvals, and is shown in the rate requests in numerous other states.

Anyway, when you think about it logically, this money is set to be there as one of the "3 Rs" for the first 3 years of the exchanges. Ok, and it was $10B. So when it is no longer in place in 2017, where is the money going to come from to offset insurer losses? Lets even say that there will be 25m people on the exchanges by then. That means, in order to get that $10B apparently needed to offset claims in that year, they will have to charge on average $400 more per individual (so a family of 4 would have to pay 1,600 more each year). Moreover, the $10B was needed to offset the claims of the ~7M people on the exchange last year, well this year there are more and next year there will likely be even more - so the amount needed to offset even more people would be higher.

At least one of the "R"'s looks like it will work better than expected for 2014-

a $10 billion cushion that the Affordable Care Act created to protect insurance companies from high-cost patients turned out to be more than needed, the government announced yesterday.
A few points in this....

First, you know where that $10B came from, right? It didn't just come out of thin air. It was a tax levied against all those individuals in the employer market ($63 per person). So if you're a family of 4 on an employer plan, you paid an extra $252 last year (or your employer did, or a combination of the two) just because of this part of the ACA - and all of that money went to this "pool". It was equal to 158,730,158 people each being charged an extra $63 in 2014 for their employer sponsored coverage.

The reason that it was "more than needed" is that enrollment on the exchanges was lower than anticipated. Crazy how enrolling fewer people than was expected is now a "good thing".

Also funny how the end of the first paragraph and the start of the second reads "...triggering a cycle of ever higher costs for insurers and steep premium hikes for consumers. That didn't happen." In fact, that's exactly what happened, and is shown to be the case in the above Oregon rate approvals, and is shown in the rate requests in numerous other states.

Anyway, when you think about it logically, this money is set to be there as one of the "3 Rs" for the first 3 years of the exchanges. Ok, and it was $10B. So when it is no longer in place in 2017, where is the money going to come from to offset insurer losses? Lets even say that there will be 25m people on the exchanges by then. That means, in order to get that $10B apparently needed to offset claims in that year, they will have to charge on average $400 more per individual (so a family of 4 would have to pay 1,600 more each year). Moreover, the $10B was needed to offset the claims of the ~7M people on the exchange last year, well this year there are more and next year there will likely be even more - so the amount needed to offset even more people would be higher.
Why would there be loses in 2017?

Wow.

I assume the 140 votes against were tea party Republicans who are upset that this would add to the budget deficit?ETA: actually, this adds 26 billion to the budget deficit over the next decade. http://www.cbpp.org/research/health/excise-tax-on-medical-devices-should-not-be-repealed

What in the hell are you babbling about?
:goodposting:

A few points in this....

Because apparently the vast majority of the $10B was needed to offset losses of ~7m people (the number that were on the exchanges last year). That means that on average carriers in the exchanges charged about 1,428 less than they should have per person (in order for the "reinsurance" to not be needed). Unless medical costs go down (unlikely), or the average health of those on the exchanges gets better (unlikely with the increased rates and more young/healthy people not signing up) - the average rates will either have to go up drastically (and we've seen that with the rate proposals) or there will continue to be major losses in this sector (or both). Why do you think Assurant was losing 80-90M each quarter? Why are the co-ops shutting down?

I don't keep up with the ever changing goal posts.. are we now trying to link Obama and Obamacare to a consultant we don't like now?

Is this a "Obama is a terrorist because he was at a cocktail party with Ayers" type thing?

DEAR GOD A CONSULTANT FOR THE ACA PROJECT WAS EMAILING OBAMA'S ACA TEAM!!! HE SAID AMERICAN VOTERS ARE STUPID, OBAMA MUST THINK WE ARE STUPID!!........ Something like that?

I think SoD's post is in response to the "revelations" Gruber spoke so bluntly about several months ago. When they came to light, the "left" came sprinting in to assure us it really isn't a big deal. That there was nothing to see and everything was going to be ok.

I don't keep up with the ever changing goal posts.. are we now trying to link Obama and Obamacare to a consultant we don't like now?

Is this a "Obama is a terrorist because he was at a cocktail party with Ayers" type thing?

DEAR GOD A CONSULTANT FOR THE ACA PROJECT WAS EMAILING OBAMA'S ACA TEAM!!! HE SAID AMERICAN VOTERS ARE STUPID, OBAMA MUST THINK WE ARE STUPID!!........ Something like that?
I think the "link" is that when Gruber first came out and said the things he did, the Administration kept repeating that he was a nobody and they didn't know who he was and that at most he was a low level consultant and yada yada yada. Turns out that might not be the case.

A few points in this....

Because apparently the vast majority of the $10B was needed to offset losses of ~7m people (the number that were on the exchanges last year). That means that on average carriers in the exchanges charged about 1,428 less than they should have per person (in order for the "reinsurance" to not be needed). Unless medical costs go down (unlikely), or the average health of those on the exchanges gets better (unlikely with the increased rates and more young/healthy people not signing up) - the average rates will either have to go up drastically (and we've seen that with the rate proposals) or there will continue to be major losses in this sector (or both). Why do you think Assurant was losing 80-90M each quarter? Why are the co-ops shutting down?
That doesn't answer the question at all. I'm asking with two years of claim data, three years of open enrollment data, and pretty much no more "buffers" to offset loses why would the carriers still price their products at a loss? And if they do, why should we care if they have flawed post ACA business models such as your new favorite - Assurant?

And of course the average health of those on the exchange will keep getting better as long as the number enrolled keeps going up each year.

I think the "link" is that when Gruber first came out and said the things he did, the Administration kept repeating that he was a nobody and they didn't know who he was and that at most he was a low level consultant and yada yada yada. Turns out that might not be the case.
I'm find with the Supreme Court agreeing with Gruber's statement - at least one of them. That is the subsidies are only available to those states that set up exchanges, but all of the taxes (which would include the mandates since the Supreme Court called the mandates taxes...) would remain. That is likely the least likely decision, but since Gruber is the end all....

About those 2016 rates...

Premium growth in the Affordable Care Act’s Health Insurance Marketplaces has been an area of significant interest, as this is one of the most tangible and measurable indicators of whether the ACA is working to keep health insurance affordable. The ACA’s rate review provision requires premium increases over ten percent to be made public. As a number of individual market insurers are requesting 2016 increases well above 10 percent, concern has been raised over the affordability of premiums in the coming year. However, these increases are not necessarily representative of the range of products from which consumers will be able to choose, and similar data is not widely available for the plans with moderate increases or decreases.

This brief presents an early analysis of changes in the premiums for the lowest- and second-lowest cost silver marketplace plans in major cities in 10 states plus the District of Columbia, where we were able to find complete data on rates for all insurers. It follows a similar approach to our September 2013 and 2014 analyses of Marketplace premiums.

In most of these 11 major cities, we find that the costs for the lowest and second-lowest cost silver plans – where the bulk of enrollees tend to migrate – are changing relatively modestly in 2016, although increases are generally bigger than in 2015. The cost of a benchmark silver plan in these cities is on average 4.4% higher in 2016 than in 2015. These premiums are still preliminary in some cases and could be raised or lowered through these states’ rate review processes, and it is difficult to generalize to all states based on this small sample of states where all rate filings are available. We also find that the number of insurers participating has stayed the same or increased in 9 states, while insurer participation decreased in Michigan and the District of Columbia.

Of course the qualifiers in this will be used to be dismissive of it's worth while of course at the same time we will be using Oregon as representative of 2016 rate increases for all 50 states plus DC.

wdcrob said:
Supreme Court upholds subsidies, 6-3.
Kind of a bummer. I had reached the "if your state is stupid enough to vote into office people who cut off their nose to spite their face, you deserve what's coming to you" stage.

Also, how do you explain Republican inroads in places such the northern Midwest, as well as in 2014 heretofore unthinkable progressive strongholds such as the governorship in Massachusetts?
Before the current governor of Massachusetts there were like 4 Republican governors in a row. Governor's races are always sorta weird. The Northeast is still solidly Democratic in the Senate and Congress and in Presidential races.
My point was that the office being vacated by black Democrat was filled by a white Republican in one of the deepest blue of the blue states. I guess they are rabid racists as well.
There are tons of racists is Mass. Bad drivers also.

matttyl said:
matuski said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

So it is precisely the mountain out of a molehill scenario I thought it was.. thanks.

wdcrob said:
A very brief common-sense explanation of the ruling from John Roberts.
I really dislike this type of interpretation in general. Attempting to determine "intent" rather than using the actual words written is a dangerous game. With 500+ legislators, it's likely that there were dozens, or even hundreds, of "intents", with each legislator possibly intending something different. Legislation should be judged by what is actually written, not by what we think the legislators might have meant.

Intent is derived from the statute (or contract or whatever) as a whole. Roberts isn't saying that Scalia's interpretation is inconsistent with some intent expressed outside the statute. He's saying that Scalia's interpretation of that provision of the statute is inconsistent with the statute as a whole. This is an accepted canon of interpretation.

wdcrob said:
I really dislike this type of interpretation in general. Attempting to determine "intent" rather than using the actual words written is a dangerous game. With 500+ legislators, it's likely that there were dozens, or even hundreds, of "intents", with each legislator possibly intending something different. Legislation should be judged by what is actually written, not by what we think the legislators might have meant.
This is exactly what the judicial branch is supposed to do, when there is contradictory and/or vague language in legislation.

Intent is derived from the statute (or contract or whatever) as a whole. Roberts isn't saying that Scalia's interpretation is inconsistent with some intent expressed outside the statute. He's saying that Scalia's interpretation of that provision of the statute is inconsistent with the statute as a whole. This is an accepted canon of interpretation.
Yup. This is hardly groundbreaking.

In fact, here's as fun quote dating back to 1988:

"Statutory construction ... is a holistic endeavor. A provision that may seem ambiguous in isolation is often clarified by the remainder of the statutory scheme—because the same terminology is used elsewhere in a context that makes its meaning clear, or because only one of the permissible meanings produces a substantive effect that is compatible with the rest of the law."

Guess who wrote that? Clue- he's Italian and just as cute as a button!

Accepted or not, I'm not a fan. If Congress passed a bill that consisted entirely of the sentence "This bill authorizes whatever is deemed necessary to improve the economy.", I'd argue that the bill in fact authorizes nothing, because it doesn't specify what improves the economy and what doesn't.

wdcrob said:
This is exactly what the judicial branch is supposed to do, when there is contradictory and/or vague language in legislation.
The language isn't vague in the slightest. It's quite specific.

"Statutory construction ... is a holistic endeavor. A provision that may seem ambiguous in isolation is often clarified by the remainder of the statutory scheme—because the same terminology is used elsewhere in a context that makes its meaning clear, or because only one of the permissible meanings produces a substantive effect that is compatible with the rest of the law."

Joe Pesci?

Joe Pesci?
:lmao:

That said, in this specific instance, gutting the ACA by nullifying the subsidies would probably be worse for the country than upholding them. I still don't have to like the precedent it sets, or the reasoning used. I simply prefer that legislation by interpreted strictly by the words on the page, no more and no less.

I assume you're referring to Scalia? I'm generally not a Scalia fan, either. His preferred outcome-based style is exactly what I'm railing against here.

Accepted or not, I'm not a fan. If Congress passed a bill that consisted entirely of the sentence "This bill authorizes whatever is deemed necessary to improve the economy.", I'd argue that the bill in fact authorizes nothing, because it doesn't specify what improves the economy and what doesn't.
Welp, Rich, sorry your team didn't prevail on this one, but . . . interpretation of statutes in the way described above is pretty much how the American judicial system has functioned. For centuries.

Welp, Rich, sorry your team didn't prevail on this one, but . . . interpretation of statutes in the way described above is pretty much how the American judicial system has functioned. For centuries.
Ah, the old "that's the way it's always been done" argument. Can't beat logic like that.

Ah, the old "that's the way it's always been done" argument. Can't beat logic like that.
:lmao: When dealing with concepts like judicial precedent and stare decisis, yeah, you're going to be exposed to just that sort of "logic."

You're embarrassing yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread