What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (4 Viewers)

These people who are getting discounted healthcare, they're still going to have to pay deductibles and things like that, right? So if they get severely injured or cancer, they're still going to have huge medical bills, right? I'm seriously asking because I don't know. Who's going to pay those fees?

These people who are getting discounted healthcare, they're still going to have to pay deductibles and things like that, right? So if they get severely injured or cancer, they're still going to have huge medical bills, right? I'm seriously asking because I don't know. Who's going to pay those fees?
If they make less than 133% (I think) of the federal poverty guideline, they not only get a subsidy for the premium of their plan of choice, they also get "cost sharing" subsidies that pay for their deductibles, co-pays and other out of pocket costs. If you're poor enough, you can pretty much have 100% of your health care costs covered.

If they make less than 133% (I think) of the federal poverty guideline, they not only get a subsidy for the premium of their plan of choice, they also get "cost sharing" subsidies that pay for their deductibles, co-pays and other out of pocket costs. If you're poor enough, you can pretty much have 100% of your health care costs covered.
Wow. I did not know that. So free healthcare if you can't afford it and more expensive healthcare if you can. No wonder so many people are upset about this. What a huge load of crap.

A new report on Obamacare in Missouri confirms that the law’s problems are about much more than technical glitches. When pressed, supporters of the ACA have tended to characterize the law as a simple tradeoff: some people have to pay higher premiums, but we’re all getting higher quality health care in return (which they define as lower deductibles and more benefits). But things are not working out that way.

Partnering with Kaiser Health News, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch produced a long, informative read on Obamacare’s effects on the Missouri insurance market. The piece argues that, in general, Missourians both in the exchanges and in the non-exchange market will see higher premiums and less choice:

Missouri is one of the red states that aren’t working very hard to implement Obamacare: it didn’t set up its own exchange, and it isn’t expanding its Medicaid program. Other states may wind up being success stories, and the ACA’s fate in bigger states like California will ultimately be more important than its fate in Missouri. But, on the other hand, Missouri might tell us something about what’s happening in the plurality of states with federal exchanges (27). In at least some of them, we can expect that many Americans will pay more and get less with the ACA.

“Deductibles are going up. Premiums are going up. (Provider) networks are getting tighter,” said Vincent Blair, a health insurance broker in Webster Groves….

Anthem[a big insurance company in the state]‘s rates appear to be higher, and its provider networks are likely to be much more restrictive in terms of consumer choice, according to a federal database of insurance rates and local health insurance brokers.
http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/10/22/the-aca-more-expensive-less-choice-less-quality/
Interesting that the states that are anti Obamacare are facing issues and higher premiums - and a complaining about that rather than wondering why the pricing from the exchanges set up in those states are higher than in other states. One of the benefits I see is that the pricing is now out there for all to see and if I'm in Missouri why do I pay more than in California or Colorado? This will put some pressure on these exchanges to explain their pricing and get it fixed - rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water here at the start.
Right, the 27 states that refused to set up state exchanges and dumped it back into the laps of the Feds are seeing the most problems. All except four of those states are Republican controlled. They never wanted to be a success, and it was a calculated move to put more pressure on the HHS. Their choice was to pass the buck and rely on the Fed to implement it for them (ironically) instead or responsibly governing on behalf of their citizens. The initial success will be measured in those states who are part of the solution and actually are trying to make ACA work. The political stonewallers can pound sand. If their citizens are impacted negatively, they have their state government to thank. They can either continue to be outraged and upset, or work to fix it. Pretty simple.
So the Fed passed the buck to the states by creating the ACA. Then some states said no thanks and passed the buck back to the Fed. But you find it appropriate to blame the states even though this problem was created by the federal government originally. Got it.

:sadbanana:
Are you guys talking about the "gap" between the medicaid qualifiers and where ACA kicks in? There's a gap there and the federal government offered to pay for the people in that gap for a period of three years while they adjusted ACA. I thought it was 26 states rejected the money on the premise that they thought the plan sucked, so instead of helping the folks in that gap, they've basically turned their backs on them. I suppose they could play the "but what if we don't reach a deal and have to start paying for them after three years" card, but I'm not sure they gave it that much thought. It's also interesting that ALL those states are already states who take more from the government revenue wise than they give....they just drew the line at ACA I guess?? :oldunsure:

If this isn't what you guys are talking about, carry on....I'm thinking of a different topic. I'll get Tim to start a new thread on it :)
That's part of it. healthcare.gov was originally supposed to be just a portal to the state exchanges; validating citizenship, etc. After that, visitors were to be sent to the individual state run exchange sites, which never got built by 27 states because of their opposition to the law, so the Feds had to build those for them. That's all fine and good, but to measure the success or failure of the national program based on the failings of those states is ridiculous. They didn't want it in the first place and it was all part of a very public and concerted effort during the election to undermine the law and politically damage all things Obama. They can govern however they want, but it isn't hard to understand that uncooperative states will have a rough time at roll out. Those states that aren't a part of the solution are very much a part of the problem. If they cared about helping their citizens get access to healthcare, they've showed no willingness to do it. Kind of hard to take their concerns and complaints seriously at all.

Wow. I did not know that. So free healthcare if you can't afford it and more expensive healthcare if you can. No wonder so many people are upset about this. What a huge load of crap.
Right now if I'm too poor I get free healthcare anyway - and then the Hospital can pass along the costs to covered individuals hiding the amount they are charging. Now it's going to be out in the open on someone poor and they will have to run those charges through the insurance provider in a normal "what's covered/whats paid" plan. Hopefully poor users will go to the right place to get treatment rather than initially waiting and heading to a hospital ER. It will help a bit in controlling costs and eventually you will get premium breaks after the CEO of the insurance company gets his bonus.

Right now if I'm too poor I get free healthcare anyway - and then the Hospital can pass along the costs to covered individuals hiding the amount they are charging. Now it's going to be out in the open on someone poor and they will have to run those charges through the insurance provider in a normal "what's covered/whats paid" plan. Hopefully poor users will go to the right place to get treatment rather than initially waiting and heading to a hospital ER. It will help a bit in controlling costs and eventually you will get premium breaks after the CEO of the insurance company gets his bonus.
I'll bet you anything you like that each and every year over the next 10 my premiums, and those of the vast majority of Americans will still go up, not down.

Look, I want a safety net for the people who can't afford healthcare, and I believe the rest of us should be willing to pay a little more for that safety net. While I don't believe that Obamacare is an especially efficient means to bring this about, I don't think the principle behind it is wrong.

I'll bet you anything you like that each and every year over the next 10 my premiums, and those of the vast majority of Americans will still go up, not down.
If premiums would have gone up 10% in the old scenario and now only go up 5% - is that a premium break?

If premiums would have gone up 10% in the old scenario and now only go up 5% - is that a premium break?
Not if the premiums in the new scenario start 80% higher.

Not if they were going up 90% in the old scenario

A new report on Obamacare in Missouri confirms that the law’s problems are about much more than technical glitches. When pressed, supporters of the ACA have tended to characterize the law as a simple tradeoff: some people have to pay higher premiums, but we’re all getting higher quality health care in return (which they define as lower deductibles and more benefits). But things are not working out that way.

Partnering with Kaiser Health News, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch produced a long, informative read on Obamacare’s effects on the Missouri insurance market. The piece argues that, in general, Missourians both in the exchanges and in the non-exchange market will see higher premiums and less choice:

Missouri is one of the red states that aren’t working very hard to implement Obamacare: it didn’t set up its own exchange, and it isn’t expanding its Medicaid program. Other states may wind up being success stories, and the ACA’s fate in bigger states like California will ultimately be more important than its fate in Missouri. But, on the other hand, Missouri might tell us something about what’s happening in the plurality of states with federal exchanges (27). In at least some of them, we can expect that many Americans will pay more and get less with the ACA.

“Deductibles are going up. Premiums are going up. (Provider) networks are getting tighter,” said Vincent Blair, a health insurance broker in Webster Groves….

Anthem[a big insurance company in the state]‘s rates appear to be higher, and its provider networks are likely to be much more restrictive in terms of consumer choice, according to a federal database of insurance rates and local health insurance brokers.
http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/10/22/the-aca-more-expensive-less-choice-less-quality/
Interesting that the states that are anti Obamacare are facing issues and higher premiums - and a complaining about that rather than wondering why the pricing from the exchanges set up in those states are higher than in other states. One of the benefits I see is that the pricing is now out there for all to see and if I'm in Missouri why do I pay more than in California or Colorado? This will put some pressure on these exchanges to explain their pricing and get it fixed - rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water here at the start.
Right, the 27 states that refused to set up state exchanges and dumped it back into the laps of the Feds are seeing the most problems. All except four of those states are Republican controlled. They never wanted to be a success, and it was a calculated move to put more pressure on the HHS. Their choice was to pass the buck and rely on the Fed to implement it for them (ironically) instead or responsibly governing on behalf of their citizens. The initial success will be measured in those states who are part of the solution and actually are trying to make ACA work. The political stonewallers can pound sand. If their citizens are impacted negatively, they have their state government to thank. They can either continue to be outraged and upset, or work to fix it. Pretty simple.
So the Fed passed the buck to the states by creating the ACA. Then some states said no thanks and passed the buck back to the Fed. But you find it appropriate to blame the states even though this problem was created by the federal government originally. Got it.

Are you guys talking about the "gap" between the medicaid qualifiers and where ACA kicks in? There's a gap there and the federal government offered to pay for the people in that gap for a period of three years while they adjusted ACA. I thought it was 26 states rejected the money on the premise that they thought the plan sucked, so instead of helping the folks in that gap, they've basically turned their backs on them. I suppose they could play the "but what if we don't reach a deal and have to start paying for them after three years" card, but I'm not sure they gave it that much thought. It's also interesting that ALL those states are already states who take more from the government revenue wise than they give....they just drew the line at ACA I guess?? :oldunsure:

If this isn't what you guys are talking about, carry on....I'm thinking of a different topic. I'll get Tim to start a new thread on it :)
That's part of it. healthcare.gov was originally supposed to be just a portal to the state exchanges; validating citizenship, etc. After that, visitors were to be sent to the individual state run exchange sites, which never got built by 27 states because of their opposition to the law, so the Feds had to build those for them. That's all fine and good, but to measure the success or failure of the national program based on the failings of those states is ridiculous. They didn't want it in the first place and it was all part of a very public and concerted effort during the election to undermine the law and politically damage all things Obama. They can govern however they want, but it isn't hard to understand that uncooperative states will have a rough time at roll out. Those states that aren't a part of the solution are very much a part of the problem. If they cared about helping their citizens get access to healthcare, they've showed no willingness to do it. Kind of hard to take their concerns and complaints seriously at all.
I'm surprised people aren't getting more up in arms over this crap. I guess they're more concerned with political fodder than the realities?? :shrug: It's not like we have to "wait" for this to show itself...it's staring us right in the freakin' face.

Where did that ever happen? Quite possibly over time they went up that much, so did a lot of things like cars and gas and houses and such. No one was getting 90% increases year to year....till now.

If I have a plan (which I personally do) which costs me $112 per month (high deductible and individually underwritten) and at each renewal it goes up 10% - $123 next year, $135 the following, $148 the following, $163 the following.........that's much better than a comparable plan that right now would cost me $200 a month (which it would) but only go up 5% a year - $210 next year, $220 the following, $231 the following, $243 the following, $255 the following. Just because it's not growing as fast doesn't mean it still won't cost more.

Look, I want a safety net for the people who can't afford healthcare, and I believe the rest of us should be willing to pay a little more for that safety net. While I don't believe that Obamacare is an especially efficient means to bring this about, I don't think the principle behind it is wrong.
It's not wrong. Unfortunately, with something like health care, and perhaps ONLY health care, the principle can break down at some point.

For example, with food, we know that we can feed a starving person for $N per month. I don't know exactly what N is, but it's reasonably easy to figure out an approximate number, and we know the number doesn't particularly change from person to person. More importantly, the number is "affordable", even for a lot of people.

Ditto for housing. Ditto for clothing. Ditto for a lot of other things.

Health care is entirely different, however. To use a reductio ad absurdum example: say there's a new cancer vaccine developed, but it costs $50M for each administration. Clearly, even government can't afford to vaccinate everyone. To make it less absurd and more interesting, lower the cost to $50K per person. Government still can't afford to cover it for everyone ($50K * 300M = $15T), but could cover it for some people. Someone in government is now in a position of deciding who gets that vaccine and what portion, if any, government will pay. Multiply this out by virtually unlimited health problems and potential cures, and it becomes a fact that someone or some department within government is now deciding what conditions are "worthwhile" to treat and what conditions aren't, or which individuals should be treated and which shouldn't. Yes, Sarah Palin and the "death panel" crew were a bunch of idiots, but at some level, someone will eventually be making a life or death decision somewhere along the line, simply because "have government pay to keep everyone alive and as healthy as possible" simply isn't possible.

This is probably my biggest issue with single-payer or even government subsidized health care. I also realize that for workable health care, there's only one other option if we want there to be a safety net. However, the other option means we, as a society, have to be willing to let people "die in the streets" if they don't take care of themselves (by, perhaps, signing up for an insurance plan using government subsidies). I don't think we're there as a society. I'm not sure we want to go there, either. As much as I hate the idea of single-payer health care, I think it's inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably my biggest issue with single-payer or even government subsidized health care. I also realize that for workable health care, there's only one other option if we want there to be a safety net. However, the other option means we, as a society, have to be willing to let people "die in the streets" if they don't take care of themselves (by, perhaps, signing up for an insurance plan using government subsidies). I don't think we're there as a society. I'm not sure we want to go there, either. As much as I hate the idea of single-payer health care, I think it's inevitable.
We don't have to provide every possible treatment to keep people alive (DEATH PANELS!!!) but for a reasonable cost we can provide good health care for a vast majority of people. Canada provides a basic level of insurance for everybody but if you want more services you can pay for a private health insurance supplement. It seems to work pretty well for them.

it would have been cheaper to just grant free insurance to the 10-20 Million uninsured citizens and set up some sort of free/subsidized health care voucher system for illegal aliens.

it would have been cheaper to just grant free insurance to the 10-20 Million uninsured citizens and set up some sort of free/subsidized health care voucher system for illegal aliens.
That's exactly what many of us were pushing for but couldn't get through Congress. :wall:

Where did that ever happen? Quite possibly over time they went up that much, so did a lot of things like cars and gas and houses and such. No one was getting 90% increases year to year....till now.

If I have a plan (which I personally do) which costs me $112 per month (high deductible and individually underwritten) and at each renewal it goes up 10% - $123 next year, $135 the following, $148 the following, $163 the following.........that's much better than a comparable plan that right now would cost me $200 a month (which it would) but only go up 5% a year - $210 next year, $220 the following, $231 the following, $243 the following, $255 the following. Just because it's not growing as fast doesn't mean it still won't cost more.
Actually, it is a better plan. Over the course of time, specifically starting in year 14, your $112 plan will cost more than the one that starts at $200.

Actually, it is a better plan. Over the course of time, specifically starting in year 14, your $112 plan will cost more than the one that starts at $200.
Not to mention all of the consumer protections that folks like mattyl are all enjoying now (no pre-existing conditions, 80% rule, no caps, kids on plan to 26, free-riders finally having to chip in, etc.)

Looks like a delay in the individual mandate may be in the works...

new: senior dem source tells me to expect every sen dem running in 2014 to back @JeanneShaheen proposal to delay #ACA enrollment deadline
https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/393110100153352192
Honestly, this is the only move. There is little to no chance all this gets fixed in time to prevent people who are actually trying to obtain coverage from being hit with a fine.
You seriously think this won't be fixed enough for most people to use by March?

That's exactly what many of us were pushing for but couldn't get through Congress. :wall:
A Democratic controlled Congress, FTR

Only the government would spend $400 million for a website that does not work and then not fire anyone.
You should see the pathetic software I am given as a teacher. Nothing works right and it has the interface of AOL 98. It's a joke. Nice work big government. Between this health care issue and the spying on international leaders, our we look like clowns. Our government is a joke.

new: senior dem source tells me to expect every sen dem running in 2014 to back @JeanneShaheen proposal to delay #ACA enrollment deadline
Honestly, this is the only move. There is little to no chance all this gets fixed in time to prevent people who are actually trying to obtain coverage from being hit with a fine.
When did they start working on the website?

Yes it is a giant turd. But anyone should have seen this coming. Anyone that voted for Obama has no room to complain, IMO.

And to think, those pesky red teamers wanted to delay the mandate.. Boy aren't they dumb..
Odds that Reid and others actually catch hell for forcing a government shutdown over refusing to delay the mandate if they decide to delay the mandate?Schlzm
Catch hell from who? As bad as this rollout has been, all I've seen from supporters is excuses that deflect blame and responsibility. There will be no accountability. Just more finger pointing.

And to think, those pesky red teamers wanted to delay the mandate.. Boy aren't they dumb..
Odds that Reid and others actually catch hell for forcing a government shutdown over refusing to delay the mandate if they decide to delay the mandate?Schlzm
Catch hell from who? As bad as this rollout has been, all I've seen from supporters is excuses that deflect blame and responsibility.There will be no accountability. Just more finger pointing.
There will be the same accountability with this as there has been with Fast and Furious, the IRS scandal and Benghazi...O'Reilly touched on this last night:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/10/25/bill-oreilly-wheres-the-accountability-from-the-obama-adminstration-n1731940

Was there a bigger fib during Obama's campaigns than saying his Administration would be transparent...

Only the government would spend $400 million for a website that does not work and then not fire anyone.
Barack say Code Monkey very diligent,

But his output stink.

His code not functional or elegant.

What do Code Monkey think?

Code Monkey think maybe President wanna write god#### login page himself.

What about the people in that gap between medicaid and ACA? Who's helping those folks? I can't find that anywhere.

Catch hell from who? As bad as this rollout has been, all I've seen from supporters is excuses that deflect blame and responsibility.There will be no accountability. Just more finger pointing.
There will be the same accountability with this as there has been with Fast and Furious, the IRS scandal and Benghazi...O'Reilly touched on this last night:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/10/25/bill-oreilly-wheres-the-accountability-from-the-obama-adminstration-n1731940

Was there a bigger fib during Obama's campaigns than saying his Administration would be transparent...
None of you guys are making any sense here at all. The reason that the Republicans demanded the mandate delayed for a year, after having their demand to defund Obamacare rejected, had nothing to do with the all of the implementation problems (which they were unaware of at the time.) It was because they wanted to weaken or destroy Obamacare itself, and were counting on the threat of shutdown/debt ceiling to do so. Even if delaying the mandate had been a good idea at that time, Obama could never have agreed to it under those circumstances- that would have been giving into blackmail. if Obama decides to delay the mandate now, that doesn't make those Republicans any more right.

This was by design to prevent Obama from implementing national exchanges since those are a set pretty close to single payer. :shrug:

None of you guys are making any sense here at all. The reason that the Republicans demanded the mandate delayed for a year, after having their demand to defund Obamacare rejected, had nothing to do with the all of the implementation problems (which they were unaware of at the time.) It was because they wanted to weaken or destroy Obamacare itself, and were counting on the threat of shutdown/debt ceiling to do so. Even if delaying the mandate had been a good idea at that time, Obama could never have agreed to it under those circumstances- that would have been giving into blackmail. if Obama decides to delay the mandate now, that doesn't make those Republicans any more right.
I've got to assume someone knew there were going to be roll out issues, especially someone in the administration. Why fight so hard to keep a deadline you know you're going to have a very hard time hitting? Oh yeah, political posturing.

I did this is another thread as schtick, but people like drew are actually serious about this line of reasoning.

No it wouldn't. How would it? How in the world is $122 a month more than a comparable plan (same deductible) with a premium of $200 a month?!

Not to mention all of the consumer protections that folks like mattyl are all enjoying now (no pre-existing conditions, 80% rule, no caps, kids on plan to 26, free-riders finally having to chip in, etc.)
I NEVER HAD ANY PRE-EX conditions!! I've had continuous health insurance my entire life, so therefor there was nothing "pre-existing". That is not at all a new benefit to me, or to anyone who's had continuous coverage for 12 months or more.

The 80% rule was pretty much the lay of the land for years. Last year the "kick-back" I received from Anthem for what they owed back after they took their 20% was less than $2 total. I want to say it was $1.27. That was the "overage" after I got a 10% or 12% increase last year at my renewal.

There was never a cap on my current plan. The last time I saw a cap on a plan it was I believe $5M. If I need that much care, it's likely not worth spending more attempting to save me.

I don't have kids, but even without the ACA they could stay on until 23 as long as they were in some type of school. If they weren't in school, they'd be working and be able to obtain coverage on their own (even if they weren't "insurable" thanks to HIPAA).

It may be fixed for a lot, maybe even most, but certainly not all, and definitely not by DECEMBER 15th when people would need to enroll by for coverage to start Jan 1st as was promised to them. Even if they miss that, they'd have to be enrolled by Valentine's Day to have coverage long enough in 2014 to avoid a fee/tax.

Obama:

“Again, [the Affordable Care Act] is for people who aren’t happy with their current plan. If you like what you’re getting, keep it. Nobody is forcing you to shift,”

Reality:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/24/health-insurance-cancellation-notices-soar-above-obamacare-enrollment-rates/

Insurance carrier Florida Blue sent out 300,000 cancellation notices, or 80 percent of the entire state’s individual coverage policies, Kaiser Health News reports. California’s Kaiser Permanente canceled 160,000 plans — half of its insurance plans in the state — while Blue Shield of California sent 119,000 notices in mid-September alone.

Two major insurance carriers in Pennsylvania, Insurance Highmark in Pittsburgh and Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia plan to cancel 20 percent and 45 percent of their total plans, respectively.

Nearly 800,000 New Jersey residents’ health-care plans will not longer exist in 2014, forcing insurers to create new ones for individuals and small business owners that hew to the Obamacare’s new regulations, The New Jersey Star Ledger found in early October.

It may be fixed for a lot, maybe even most, but certainly not all, and definitely not by DECEMBER 15th when people would need to enroll by for coverage to start Jan 1st as was promised to them. Even if they miss that, they'd have to be enrolled by Valentine's Day to have coverage long enough in 2014 to avoid a fee/tax.
Any reason you've moved this type of discussion to the thread about the problems with the website instead of the other thread where you've been posting. I'm interested to hear how you think the white paper you posted in the other thread relates at all to the ACA.

I was at a conference yesterday and the keynote speaker was the former head of the AMA. Very interesting stuff.

What about the people in that gap between medicaid and ACA? Who's helping those folks? I can't find that anywhere.
What gap? Medicaid is the bottom, ACA with premium subsidies and with cost sharing subsidies goes up to 133% of the FPL, and ACA with only premium subsidies goes up to 400% of the FPL. Above that, they think you can afford these high rates.

The "gap" that no one talks about is someone who's eligible for employer group coverage but can't afford it for themselves or their family who because of that eligibility can not get a subsidy for an ACA plan. Those folks are SOL.

I just thought it was appropriate to match the business mandate delay and all the waivers the President was giving.

Any reason you've moved this type of discussion to the thread about the problems with the website instead of the other thread where you've been posting. I'm interested to hear how you think the white paper you posted in the other thread relates at all to the ACA.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. I posted the above about the website disaster here in the thread about the "Obamacare Rollout disaster". I've posted in many if not all of the ACA threads here in the FFA.

As for the "white paper" I posted, do you mean the paper written as a case study to all the states that went guaranteed issue with their individual insurance products? And the disaster that happened to most of them? Isn't that exactly what the ACA brings to the table?

I'm sorry, I don't follow. I posted the above about the website disaster here in the thread about the "Obamacare Rollout disaster". I've posted in many if not all of the ACA threads here in the FFA.

As for the "white paper" I posted, do you mean the paper written as a case study to all the states that went guaranteed issue with their individual insurance products? And the disaster that happened to most of them? Isn't that exactly what the ACA brings to the table?
As I wrote in the other thread. That whitepaper is a case study of states that introduced GI and Community Rating in the 1990s without a key feature of the ACA. The individual mandate. As your own white paper notes, the problem with GI is that it encouraged people to wait to sign up for health insurance only after they developed health problems. Which is the very reason why Mass. adopted a individual mandate in 2006.

Your whitepaper only briefly discusses RomneyCare, but notes that premiums in the individual insurance market in Mass. have declined between 20 to 33 percent since 2006. As this is the only system discussed with the individual mandate, and thus the only system remotely like the ACA, I think it's fair to say that you have misread that white paper.

I was at a conference yesterday and the keynote speaker was the former head of the AMA. Very interesting stuff.
The suspense....

Well?
Talked a lot about how screwed up Medicaid is in Texas because Rick Perry won't accept government money to help fund it.

- A couple interesting things about the ACA Exchange website fiaso including the notion that the Gov prepared for 60k concurrent users at launch and experienced 4x that trying to access the site for the first week.

- Pointed out that the overwhelming demand clearly demonstrates that despite what Ted Cruz tells you, a lot of citizens want this.

- Said it won't work though until the penalty is equal or more than paying for a policy because there will always be young people trying to save a buck.

- Said in Texas that each person with Health Insurance through an employer is paying an average of $1500/year within their premium to subsidize those without insurance.

- Said that getting everyone insurance is important because our dependency ratio is dropping from about 4:1 to 3:1 and the only way to continue caring for the elderly is for the younger works to have more healthy work days.

- Said that while the "face" of Medicaid is pregnant single-women and their kids, the reality is that 2/3 of Medicaid spend is on ADB (Aged, Disabled, or Blind) and less than 1/3 is on those mothers.

What gap? Medicaid is the bottom, ACA with premium subsidies and with cost sharing subsidies goes up to 133% of the FPL, and ACA with only premium subsidies goes up to 400% of the FPL. Above that, they think you can afford these high rates.

The "gap" that no one talks about is someone who's eligible for employer group coverage but can't afford it for themselves or their family who because of that eligibility can not get a subsidy for an ACA plan. Those folks are SOL.
There's supposedly a substantial gap between being medicaid poor and wealthy enough to afford ACA. They don't overlap, so I'm assuming that's true. The federal government felt it was true as the offered to pay all states to cover that gap for 3 years. Several states rejected the funds essentially choosing to ignore this segment of the population. Oddly enough....a lot of the states that rejected the funds are states who are already taking more from the federal government than they are giving back, which is kinda sad actually.

Users who are viewing this thread