What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vontaze Burfict (1 Viewer)

Rey has Cleveland and Denver in the next two weeks, 7th and 8th in the league in offensive snaps, both running the ball plenty at this point. I think he'll be a nice tackle play, but he's certainly not going to fill the stat sheet elsewhere.

Before we get all flustered, IIRC the good doctor has mentioned two types of microfracture surgery (but I forgot the difference) - one that is a desperation move and one which is new and less intrusive that is showing encouraging results. Kelce is an example of the latter.

Ive been trying to move him. Not even getting replies.

I know its the wrong time of year, but this news wont help.

The injuries keep piling up. I just dont see a long career here.,

Played 48% of the snaps week 8 which was 36 snaps and recorded 5 solos. What week should we be expecting this guy to start getting all the snaps?

i'm debating playing him over Clay Mathews this week..

half snaps is very encouraging for his first week back. i'd feel a little better if game was on Sunday, but overall have to like his progress. i think if you are not playing him this week, you are next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burfict or Rey. So I am in a pay IDP league that gives 2 points per tackle, 1 per assist and Rey has been ranked pretty high in our league overall, and has been fairly consistent with points, but i also scooped up Burfict last week and am now in a quandry as to which player to start. Will Burfict eventually take over Reys snaps which is what I am assuming.

Vontaze reinjure himself? WLB Vontaze Burfict exited the Bengals' Week 9 game against the Browns with a left knee injury and is questionable to return.

But there isn't long term success with this surgery yet. Maybe Burfict and Cloney will change that but is is extreme surgery. This is from last year.

In the game he had 40 snaps, Lamur had 11 and Carter 1.

Microfracture and its success rates

Microfracture is an arthroscopic procedure in which the surgeon uses what looks like a fancy ice pick to make small holes in the bone several millimeters apart. Blood then flows from these holes into the defect. The blood and other growth factors create an inflammatory process that leads to the formation of fibrocartilage. This fibrocartilage is rougher and more brittle than the normal type of cartilage that lines the bones, but it’s better than exposed bone.

For small cartilage defects, microfracture is thought to have reasonable short-term success. Dr. Richard Steadman, who pioneered the surgery, found that 76% of the NFL players in whom he performed microfracture returned to play the following season.

The long-term results after microfracture surgery are more concerning. A study of 24 NBA players who underwent the procedure showed that only 58.3% returned to play for more than one season after the surgery. Performance suffered greatly after players returned, with average points, rebounds, assists and minutes played dropping after microfracture. And one third of the players never returned play at all.

The challenge of restoring normal articular cartilage

The problem with these poor results lies less with the surgery than with the underlying injury. Orthopaedic surgeons have no way to regrow or make articular cartilage new again. Microfracture creates fibrocartilage, which might be adequate for athletes returning to play in the short-term, but it could shorten their careers and lead to long-term arthritis.

Other surgeries, like transferring cylinders of bone and cartilage from other parts of the knee or culturing cartilage cells in the lab and re-implanting them into the defect are much more invasive surgeries that would be extremely difficult for returning to professional sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread