What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Jones (1 Viewer)

So is anybody starting Marvin Jones Jr. with confidence today??

I have to roll him out with the news of Brandin Cooks being out. 

Marvin Jones caught 10-of-12 targets for 112 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 15 loss to the Titans.

Jones easily paced the Lions in targets with a 31.6% share of the 38 attempts. No other Lions player saw more than five passes come his way. Jones capped the Lions' first possession with a two-yard score on third down, and he later caught a 39-yarder down inside the five-yard line to set up a D'Andre Swift touchdown. Jones has seen 12 targets in three of the last four games and is averaging 10 targets per contest over his last six. If Kenny Golladay (hip) remains out for Week 16 against the Bucs, Jones will be a volume-driven WR2.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:05 PM ET

Marvin Jones said he wants to sign with a Super Bowl contender this offseason. 

That takes a return to Detroit off the table for the veteran wideout. An unrestricted free agent this spring, Jones will likely sign with a team that has something resembling a shot at a championship. “At this point in my career, that’s what I want,” Jones said. Jones, who will be 31 next month, doesn't profile as any team's No. 1 receiver, but could be an undervalued fantasy producer in the right offense. He posted a very respectable 76-978-9 line last year in an abysmal Detroit offense. 

SOURCE: Freep.com 

Feb 19, 2021, 11:00 AM ET

Jaguars signed WR Marvin Jones, formerly of the Lions, to a two-year, $14.5 million contract. 

The deal includes $9.2 million guaranteed. Just days removed from his 31st birthday, Jones gives the Jags another perimeter option, and some much-needed high-end experience. Although he is not as explosive as he was during his prime, Jones remains one of the league's better down-field options. He still consistently makes plays at the second and third levels of the field. He will be an excellent target for Trevor Lawrence to learn with. Jones' addition isn't amazing news for D.J. Chark, of course, while Jones himself is going to struggle for WR3 value in a crowded, rebuilding offense. That being said, in addition to suiting up for creative head coach Urban Meyer, Jones is reuniting with OC Darrell Bevell, who helped jump start Jones' career the past two years in Detroit.   

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2021, 5:11 PM ET

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Who leads this team in targets on Sunday?

Marvin Jones Jr. has been Trevor Lawrence's favorite target throughout training camp. Lawrence targeted Jones nine times when they were on the field with the first-team offense in the first two preseason games. So expect Lawrence to continue to look for Jones a lot, especially when it's a key situation or he is scrambling. -- Michael DiRocco

Marvin Jones caught 5-of-9 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in Week 1 against the Texans.

Jones and Laviska Shenault both finished behind D.J. Chark (12) with nine targets. Fortunately, Trevor Lawrence hit Jones on a goal-line TD on the final play to salvage his day. The target volume for Jones may be better than expected on a Jaguars offense that's going to be playing a lot of games from behind. Still, Jones' value is likely to be touchdown dependent most weeks.

Marvin Jones Jr. A WR3 With A Plus Matchup In Week 4

Jacksonville Jaguars leading wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr. is an ideal WR3 play on Thursday night against the Bengals. Jones has easily been the team's steadiest receiving option all year long, and he's yet to have a game with fewer than eight targets or five receptions in 2021. It also helps that the Bengals are a friendly matchup for the veteran, as Cincinnati has allowed the ninth-most PPR points to receivers thus far, and they could be even more vulnerable in Week 4 with top defensive backs Chidobe Awuzie and Jessie Bates both expected to be out. Jones is one of Week 4's most confident WR3 plays.

So glad I wasted a lineup spot with him tonight. Haven't put him in before this week,  of course he craps the bed. 
Do you ever do anything other than whine? It’s halftime.  Look at Chase’s #s and he’s a must start.   They have a thread especially for people like you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvin Jones caught 3-of-3 targets for 24 yards in the Jaguars' Week 4 loss to the Bengals. 

Even with D.J. Chark breaking his ankle in the opening moments of the game, Jones had by far his quietest outing of the year. That should not remain a theme going forward, with Jones' down-field ability now of paramount importance to this undermanned offense. Jones will continue to draw deep and intermediate looks as Laviska Shenault gets targets in the short areas of the field. Jones will maintain a locked-in WR3 for Week 5 vs. Tennessee. 

Oct 1, 2021, 12:06 AM ET

Sheanault was definitely the go to guy this week. Bengals always have issues with those shifty slot/gadget guys so it isn't a surprise. I think Marvin just had an outlier night, I think he will bounce back against TEN next week. 

Sheanault was definitely the go to guy this week. Bengals always have issues with those shifty slot/gadget guys so it isn't a surprise. I think Marvin just had an outlier night, I think he will bounce back against TEN next week. 
Hope so! Just a bad night but went against Boyd. Let’s just say I’m probably staring at an L 😕

Marvin Jones caught 3-of-5 targets for 21 yards in the Jaguars' Week 9 win over the Bills.

Trevor Lawrence missed Marvin Jones down the sideline for what would have been a game sealing TD if the ball had been anywhere near the wide open receiver. Jones only managed an 18% target share, which is why a single play had such an impact on his fantasy day. Jones' deep threat usage gives him more upside than the other Jaguars wide receivers, but it also creates risk of dud weeks. His quarterback compounds that risk by missing throws and generally struggling to move the offense. Jones looks like a WR4 against the Colts.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Marvin Jones caught 4-of-6 passes for 38 yards in the Jaguars' Week 1 loss to the Commanders.

Jones was the clear WR3 in this one, operating behind Christian Kirk and Zay Jones. In what was a relatively quiet day for the veteran receiver, Jones broke free down the right sideline in the second quarter for what might have been a 70-yard touchdown if not for an overthrown ball by Trevor Lawrence. Playing as the third receiver in an offense that will struggle is never ideal for fantasy production. Jones is nothing more than a deep flex option in Week 2 against the Colts.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Marvin Jones caught 3-of-5 targets for 33 yards in the Jaguars' Week 2 win over the Colts.

One of Jones' missed connections was a drop, while he was also called for an unjust taunting penalty after he expressed displeasure at an illegal hit. Jones has a modest six grabs for 71 yards through the first two games of the Doug Pederson era, though he doesn't seem to be a diminished player. He will hit some big plays at some point, just not in a predictable enough fashion to operate as a genuine WR4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Marvin Jones caught 4-of-8 targets for 57 yards in the Jaguars’ Week 7 loss to the Giants.

Jones got in where he fit in. Trevor Lawrence spread the ball around to all of his pass catchers. Jones’ best play came on a one-handed catch to convert on a third down. He and Zay Jones continue to operate behind Christian Kirk in the Jags’ passing attack.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Marvin Jones caught 5-of-6 targets for 48 yards in the Jaguars' Week 9 win over the Raiders.

Even with Jamal Agnew back from his knee injury, Jones kept WR3 duties. He was second on the team in catches, yards, and targets, but Jones has just one touchdown on the season. These 48 yards were his third-most in a game this year. Jones is well off the fantasy map ahead of Week 10 against the Chiefs.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Lions signed WR Marvin Jones, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year, $3 million contract.​

Jones played for the Lions from 2016 to 2020, totaling 3,366 yards and 32 touchdowns while going for 900+ yards in three separate seasons. Now heading into his age-33 season, Jones' 529 yards last season marked his fewest since an injury-plagued 2019. With Amon-Ra St. Brown and Jameson Williams set to occupy the top two receiver roles for the Lions next season, Jones will likely be a distant WR3 for the Lions next season, and nothing more than a WR4 for fantasy purposes. In addition to his $3 million salary, Jones will have a chance to earn an additional $2 million in incentives.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 29, 2023, 5:17 PM ET

Jags fans, how did he look last year? I know he's old and is likely just a veteran backup but curious if you thought he had anything left in the tank?

Jags fans, how did he look last year? I know he's old and is likely just a veteran backup but curious if you thought he had anything left in the tank?

I watched a lot of Jag games last year and he looked washed. Not happy about the Lions signing him even if it is on the cheap.

Consummate professional. Looks like he’s lost a step or 2. Could be a decent WR3 for DET, and as mentioned probably a good locker room guy.

Consummate professional. Looks like he’s lost a step or 2. Could be a decent WR3 for DET, and as mentioned probably a good locker room guy.
I would expect him to be more like the WR5.
Amon Ra, Jamo, Reynolds, Raymond and probably someone they draft will likely be in the mix ahead of Jones.

I would expect him to be more like the WR5.
Amon Ra, Jamo, Reynolds, Raymond and probably someone they draft will likely be in the mix ahead of Jones.
My thoughts exactly. He has an outside shot at the #3 job, but Raymond brings speed and Reynolds brings size.

It wouldn't 100% blow my mind if Jones didn't make the final roster. He looked really rough last year. I could see Cephus (if healthy) making the team over him too.

Marvin Jones caught 2-of-6 targets for eight yards in the Lions’ Week 1 win over the Chiefs.

An awful statline that gets worse once you realize Jones fumbled away one of his two receptions inside the Chiefs’ 20-yard line. Jones also had a third quarter drop. The rough night came as Josh Reynolds caught four balls for 80 yards. The Lions are going to need more out of Jones, but whatever they are going to get isn’t going to equal WR4/5 value in fantasy.

Andy Reid seems to have trouble with WRs not named Tyreek Hill. Perhaps Rice starts with MVS and only consider Moore #3? What they really need is to trade for a top end WR 1, but you guys already know this. Reid is starting to become the Belichick of WRs.

all these things are still true.

12 year career, FIRST lost fumble.

unacceptable and it's a performance based business. MJJ almost surely sees way less snaps going forward. not the same guy player he used to be.

(edit - I also think that for banner night on national tv, they felt comfortable using Marvin over say their 7th round pick or lil' Raymond, so probably just a one week comfort thing, won't see that target share again this season in all likelihood)

great human. if he never does anything else he's still an awesome dad to 6 kids (might be 5, they lost one a few years back....but she keeps popping them out.) when we had joint practices, to a man the Jags thought he was awesome. because as a person he is.

but yeah, it's a young mans game. the oldest WR in the league today is almost at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread