What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hawaii....help me (1 Viewer)

3 hour lunch

Footballguy
Just starting some basic research for a 10th anniversary trip to Hawaii next fall. At this point, I'm not even sure what island(s) to go to. We've done a lot of all-inclusive type places in Cancun, etc, where we just lay on the beach all day. I want a little of that for this trip but some unique expereinces as well.

What island is the best for a combination of activites? How easy is it to hit multiple? We will only have 6 days since we are leaving young kids behind. Not even sure what specific activites we'd like to do but some sort of hike/bike/waterfall/volcano/type stuff. Probably 1-2 rounds of golf too. I'll shut up and listen.

We did the helicopter tour of Haleakala volcano on Maui. I enjoyed it a lot.

Got talked out of playing golf at Kapalua or Kaanapali for Makena golf club and resort by the entertainment director at the condo where we were staying. Makena was very nice but I still regret not playing the Kapalua or Kaanapali courses.

What month?

With only 6 days multiple islands is totally out of the question.

My favorite Island is Kauai (north shore), but I wouldn't recommend any north shore in Hawaii after mid-October. I also love Maui, but mostly in the winter months (whale season).

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, make sure you visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial on Oahu. This is a must see.

Kauai is awesome. Kayaking, sunset cruise on the most beautiful coast in the world, hiking, waimea canyon. The best part of Kauai for me though is the laid back feel. Hardly anyone there.

It will be mid to late October for us. I'll take a look at 4 Seasons Maui...might be a more reasonable option if we only do a few nights there if we did two islands or something.

ETA: Oof, $700/nt for anything with a view. Was hoping for the $300-$400 range but I have no feel for prices, obviously.

Kauai is awesome. Kayaking, sunset cruise on the most beautiful coast in the world, hiking, waimea canyon. The best part of Kauai for me though is the laid back feel. Hardly anyone there.
I really appreciate the underlining for no apparent reason - nice touch :thumbup:

• Laughing
Reactions: Zow
I really appreciate the underlining for no apparent reason - nice touch :thumbup:
whenever I hit reply, it sometimes randomly enables things like bold or underline. sometimes it makes the text really big or really small

ive decided its no longer worth the effort to undo that ####.

disagree

3 days on Maui and 3 days on Kaui
How much of a PIA would this be? Don't most flights go in and out of Honalulu? ie we'd have to lfy from there to Maui, then to kauai, then back to Honalulu all in 6 days? These look like the two best islands for what we are looking for though.
Not a pain at all.

inter-island flights are about an hour or so. can fly direct from Maui to Kauai or vice versa.

when we went last October, we flew to Maui for 4 nights, then to Kauai midtrip for 3 nights, then home from there. Never touched Honolulu.

Four Seasons Maui.

/thread

Top two hotel I've ever stayed at.
I stayed at Four Seasons Big Island... very nice indeed. But you know what? We enjoyed Koa Kea just as much on Kauai for ¼ the price.

What kind of experience do you want, anyhow? That goes a long way in determining which island(s) you go to and where you stay. If you want to be the only ##### on the island, like me, Kauai is the island for you. If you're looking for the big city experience, you want something else. If you want active volcanoes, you want to hit the Big Island. The observatory atop Koa Kea was definitely a highlight for us... but it's only worth seeing once.

What kind of people are you? What do you want? Seclusion? Top-shelf service? Economy? All those things, and more, will affect your decisions.

I agree about changing islands. Hawaii is supposed to be relaxing. pick an island and enjoy it.

I spent 7 days on Kauai and did not run out of things to do. keep in mind too that if you book things like kayaks or boat cruises, those things are subject to postponement or cancellation because of weather. keeping things flexible is important.

disagree3 days on Maui and 3 days on Kaui
So 3 total travel days? 50%. IMO six days isn't even enough time to go period. There is significant jet lag the first morning too.

10 days is too short to change islands. I've done it, but that was on a 17 day trip. The travel day is not a proper vacation day.
We had a 9am flight from Maui and got breakfast on Kauai. Why does a one hour flight eat up a whole day?I hit both islands on a 7 night trip and am glad I did.

So 3 total travel days? 50%.IMO six days isn't even enough time to go period. There is significant jet lag the first morning too.

10 days is too short to change islands. I've done it, but that was on a 17 day trip. The travel day is not a proper vacation day.
We had a 9am flight from Maui and got breakfast on Kauai. Why does a one hour flight eat up a whole day?I hit both islands on a 7 night trip and am glad I did.
it may not be an entire day, but its not just the 1 hour flight you lose. you have to spend time repacking/unpacking, checking in/out of hotels, transportation to the airport,etc. and I bet you had to wake up damn early to make that 9 am flight. that sucks too.

keeping a hectic schedule like this also makes your vacation seem to go by a lot faster.

it's Hawaii. just pick an island and go chill.

It's a choice. For those of us who might not get back anytime soon, it's worth it to see more while there. If you don't care about that and just want to relax, then there's plenty to do on one island for a week too.

This nonsense about it being "too much" unless you're there for a month is silly talk though.

:lmao: at all that time spent packing and unpacking. If you can't manage that, maybe traveling anywhere isn't really for you.

So 3 total travel days? 50%. IMO six days isn't even enough time to go period. There is significant jet lag the first morning too.

To each their own I guess. Travel to airport, wait for flight, hour flight, wait for luggage, get rental car, check in to new place, unpack. No thanks.

There is just no reason to do it. Both islands have more than enough to see and do for 6 days. Go to another island next time.

But I'm the type of person who wouldn't travel 7+ hours by plane across four time zones for 4 full days of vacation either.

If you can only make it there once a lifetime, that's even more of a reason to not waste time moving to another island.

If you can only make it there once a lifetime, that's even more of a reason to not waste time moving to another island.
Could not disagree moreIt's a long flight to get there. I want to see more once I make the effort and spend the money to visit.

If I want a relaxing beach vacation, I'd pick someplace a lot closer and cheaper.

We are talking about going for our 15th Anniversary last week of March first week April 2015. We are planning 10 days and 2 islands. As of now we are looking at Big Island and Maui. No idea where to stay or what to do yet but we have plenty of time for research so will be following this thread as well.

Just driving from one part of an island to another can take hours. Silly to sweat an hour flight this much when it lets you see an entire new island.

Just driving from one part of an island to another can take hours. Silly to sweat an hour flight this much when it lets you see an entire new island.
yep.

and if you're hauling so much luggage and have to waste all day checking in, you're not doing it right.

Could not disagree moreIt's a long flight to get there. I want to see more once I make the effort and spend the money to visit.

If I want a relaxing beach vacation, I'd pick someplace a lot closer and cheaper.
I think you're out of your element here. I've traveled to dozens of places. I own a timeshare (with multiple resorts in Hawaii). Traveling and planning vacations is something I'm very good at. I could even be a travel agent if I wanted. Not very many of them would agree that island hopping is ideal on a short trip.

You're not as good at this as you think.

:lmao: at dozens of places. Good for you!

Amazing that you know so much but choose to share it with us here.

I went to Kauai and I think it is by far the prettiest of the islands. An old friend pointed me in the right direction but I would highly recommend you look into a private condo with an oceanfront view.

Many places say things like "garden view" and that's the parking lot, ocean-view can be a little smidgen of the window has a blue line running across but what you really want is oceanfront and allow those waves to crash over the rocks and rock you to sleep at night.

There are 2 bedroom condos with an oceanfront view starting at $1,350 on the South side here

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/rental/results.html?User=KVR3779&Photos=&Limit=20&Start=1&Avail=&Stay=&NR=7&msg=&type=&complete=

I think you get a lot more bang for your buck, full kitchen, less people in your hair, feels at times like its just you and the ocean.

So, Rudnicki- what unique activites are there in Kauai? I think it's Maui for sure for us, and maybe Kauai. Scores makes a good point but if we do ever go back, it will be a long time from now. i don't necessarily mind losing a half day getting there if it's worth it. From what I'm reading tonight elsewhere, seems like it's the place people return most to.

Na Pali Coast

Hanalei Bay

Waimea Canyon

Kauai is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Maui is awesome but I want to go back to Kauai.

We stayed on the South side of Kauai, spent $700 for the week on a 1 Bed condo, rented a car for the week, drive all over the island, never took more than 30-45 minutes to get to the North side if we wanted to visit Princeville but that is why you want to try and stay near the part of the island you are gonna frequent the most.

If money is no object than spend spend spend, but we managed to save a lot of money and spend that on things like helicopter rides over the islands with no doors on the helicopter, big excursions on the boats, all that fun stuff costs money and when you pay an avg of $100/night vs $500/night, you have a heckuva lot more fun money to do everything and eat at some of the nicer places.

I get what you are saying but you seem to think anyone that can't manage 2 islands in 6 days shouldn't board a plane.

Some folks go to Europe and spend a week and try to cram in 5 countries, others will spend an entire week in Paris and still not have enough time to see everything they want. I personally like to go somewhere and become a local if possible for a week and really soak it in.

To each their own.

There is just no reason to do it. Both islands have more than enough to see and do for 6 days. Go to another island next time.
MOP, I was responding to these types of comments. If someone doesn't plan to get back to Hawaii anytime soon and wants to see two islands while they are there, 6 days is enough time IMO. I know from experience.

If someone wants things to be more relaxing and doesn't care about packing as much into their time as they can, then pick an island and stay there.

Pretty sure you'll be happy either way.

I'm not telling people they have to see two islands. I'm disagreeing with the experts in here who are saying it can't be done or that there's no point in doing so.

First week in Feb... Maui.... Where do I stay?
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/KapaluaMaui/Default.htm

going here next year for 7 days for my wife and my 5 year anniversary
It can be awfully windy up north on Maui in February - so I would look at Four Seasons area in the South if it were me - more protection from Haleakala. But the Ritz is fantastic and you can have a great time there as well - some of my favorite beaches and snorkeling spots are up that way.

February is fantastic on Maui with whale season in full swing.

And for the OP - pick an Island stay there. They are all great in my book - even Oahu.

MOP, I was responding to these types of comments. If someone doesn't plan to get back to Hawaii anytime soon and wants to see two islands while they are there, 6 days is enough time IMO. I know from experience.

If someone wants things to be more relaxing and doesn't care about packing as much into their time as they can, then pick an island and stay there.

Pretty sure you'll be happy either way.

I'm not telling people they have to see two islands. I'm disagreeing with the experts in here who are saying it can't be done or that there's no point in doing so.
;)

NP TY

Wider search of Kauai on the same sight and I find 1 bedroom condos with oceanfront/beachfront views for as little as $750 for the week, that's a GD steal if you ask me. Get away from the hotels, they cost silly money.

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/rental/results.html?User=KVR3600&Photos=&Limit=20&Start=1&Avail=&Stay=&NR=87&msg=&type=&complete=
Man, some of those look great. Looks like they only have weekly rates.....I wonder if anyone would do a 4-night deal!

You absolutely have to have your picture taken wearing Indiana Jones attire with Kalalea in the background. 100% must-do.

Users who are viewing this thread