What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

tjnc09

Footballguy
11-SF
12-@ATL
13-@SEA
14-CAR
15-@STL
16-@CAR

Looking ahead do you have enough concern to consider another QB? his schedule is tough especially with Carolina twice during most FF playoffs? I really underestimated how good their defense was going to be this year. @SEA and SF will also not be easy games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brees is what you call matchup proof. I sat him for Russell Wilson a few times down the stretch last season. I don't own Brees this season but maybe someone like Nick Foles in a good matchup would make me consider sitting Brees. Car secondary doesn't scare me at all.

No way I'm sitting Brees. His "bad" games are better than most QB's good games.

Is this where we're having the Brees party tonight? He won two leagues for me almost singlehandedly. There's nothing better than watching one of your players bring you back from a huge deficit on Sunday or Monday night.

consider another QB? sure if I had Peyton Manning or Matthew Stafford
How about Alex Smith (22.40, 22.46, 23.32) in his last three? Or McCown (12.54, 19.54, 22.20) in his last three?

Brees:

15.10 vs SF ( rank 18th)

18.52 @ ATL (rank 11th)

7.78 vs SEA (rank 29th!)

What do you suggest we do against the #1 defense vs QBs next week (Seattle was #2)?

By the way, thanks guys. I knew it was an easy decision to look elsewhere tonight when nobody was even remotely concerned. :thumbup:

I loved tonight's game. It was painful for many but it was literally scripted for a FF orgy!

Made the playoffs with him in one league I only needed a few points in, and two others teams in other leagues lost to me because of the disaster - one resulted in another playoff birth! Makes up for last year :) Had to hit refresh a few times to be sure.

Yeah, I'll still plug him in every night.

Let me know if you want further updates. I'll waive the normal fee.

Thanks!

tjnc09 said:
Brees is what you call matchup proof. I sat him for Russell Wilson a few times down the stretch last season. I don't own Brees this season but maybe someone like Nick Foles in a good matchup would make me consider sitting Brees. Car secondary doesn't scare me at all.
He is?
Still doesn't change my thought process. I sat Brees for Wilson last season in the playoffs for the same reason. It's interesting debate for anyone with another option. Car defense worries me now btw

Brees outdoors these days isn't good Brees
He's really not.

In a standard league here are his home FF pts: 21.48, 32.78, 32.72, 33.18, 31.68, 15.10

Away: 14.88, 19.32, 17.54, 21.18, 18.52, 7.78

Now, the saving grace for week 14 is the game is at home - but I think he will be lucky to get 18 FF pts. this week.

Week 15 you have @STL - in 2011, he was 30/44 for 269 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT and took 6 sacks - I will argue STL pass rush and defense are much better than 2011. Stacy and Cunningham will also be able to run all day on him.

I will not start him week 16 @ Car.

I honestly don't think you can start him with confidence for the rest of this season but apparently I'm a square.

tjnc09 said:
He is?
Still doesn't change my thought process. I sat Brees for Wilson last season in the playoffs for the same reason. It's interesting debate for anyone with another option. Car defense worries me now btw
In a 10 or 12 team league, there will be a QB with a much better matchup available. Look at what Alex Smith has done. I'm guessing Ryan Fitzpatrick will score at least as many FF pts this week against Denver.

He's really not.

In a standard league here are his home FF pts: 21.48, 32.78, 32.72, 33.18, 31.68, 15.10

Now, the saving grace for week 14 is the game is at home - but I think he will be lucky to get 18 FF pts. this week.

Week 15 you have @STL - in 2011, he was 30/44 for 269 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT and took 6 sacks - I will argue STL pass rush and defense are much better than 2011. Stacy and Cunningham will also be able to run all day on him.

I honestly don't think you can start him with confidence for the rest of this season but apparently I'm a square.
I have no clue who your other option is but don't think it matters, you have to start Brees all 3 weeks. you just mentioned Benny Cunningham and Zac Stacy and some stats from 2011 as a reason you think he will do poorly against the Saints.

you also mentioned he is averaging around 25 at home and you can't "start him with confidence" this upcoming week.

the Panthers just gave up over 600 yards to the Pats/Dolphins the last 2 weeks and let Glennon get 8.6 YPA.

tonight was the hardest possible matchup, at Seattle in primetime. Unless you have Peyton Manning, you start Drew Brees or you risk losing your league due to one of the worst moves you can make

tjnc09 said:
He is?
In a 10 or 12 team league, there will be a QB with a much better matchup available. Look at what Alex Smith has done. I'm guessing Ryan Fitzpatrick will score at least as many FF pts this week against Denver.
what is going on in here? Ryan Fitzpatrick over Drew Brees at home!

He's really not.In a standard league here are his home FF pts: 21.48, 32.78, 32.72, 33.18, 31.68, 15.10

I have no clue who your other option is but don't think it matters, you have to start Brees all 3 weeks. you just mentioned Benny Cunningham and Zac Stacy and some stats from 2011 as a reason you think he will do poorly against the Saints.

you also mentioned he is averaging around 25 at home and you can't "start him with confidence" this upcoming week.

the Panthers just gave up over 600 yards to the Pats/Dolphins the last 2 weeks and let Glennon get 8.6 YPA.

tonight was the hardest possible matchup, at Seattle in primetime. Unless you have Peyton Manning, you start Drew Brees or you risk losing your league due to one of the worst moves you can make
Um what? Glennon posted a 180 yd game, no TDs and 1 int for 4.5 fantasy points. Tannehill had 310 yds 1 TD and 1 INT, 36 rush yards for 19 fantasy points. Not sure what 8.6 YPA to Glennon has to do with anything.The Carolina NO game has been flexed to Sunday night so why can't their defense get up for that game in prime time like Seattle did tonight?

You never need an "option" on your bench. There will always be a QB on the WW with a much better matchup that you can use as a flex. No way you can love playing Carolina in prime time even if the game is at home.

The Rams have a very good defensive front that will be able to harass Brees. They can also milk the clock with their run game keeping Brees off the field.

Ya, I will probably start Brees the next 2 weeks but it shouldn't be an auto play. If it is for someone, their team is either stacked in all other positions or they know nothing about how to win fantasy football.

He's really not.In a standard league here are his home FF pts: 21.48, 32.78, 32.72, 33.18, 31.68, 15.10

Um what? Glennon posted a 180 yd game, no TDs and 1 int for 4.5 fantasy points. Tannehill had 310 yds 1 TD and 1 INT, 36 rush yards for 19 fantasy points. Not sure what 8.6 YPA to Glennon has to do with anything.The Carolina NO game has been flexed to Sunday night so why can't their defense get up for that game in prime time like Seattle did tonight?

You never need an "option" on your bench. There will always be a QB on the WW with a much better matchup that you can use as a flex. No way you can love playing Carolina in prime time even if the game is at home.

The Rams have a very good defensive front that will be able to harass Brees. They can also milk the clock with their run game keeping Brees off the field.

Ya, I will probably start Brees the next 2 weeks but it shouldn't be an auto play. If it is for someone, their team is either stacked in all other positions or they know nothing about how to win fantasy football.
are you trolling this thread? you are saying if you don't consider picking up a QB off the waiver wire to start over Drew Brees in your fantasy playoffs you know nothing about winning fantasy football. and what does your other positions have anything to do with your QB? no one should be adding a QB off their waiver wire to start over Drew Brees, ever.

my example showed the Panthers can give up plenty of yards, Tannehill and Brady both got 300 yards and Glennon moved the ball with ease when he got a pass off. they aren't anything like Seattle who had a sub 5 YPA on the season.

I can understand being worried the Panthers might keep Brees off the field a little, but worrying about St Louis is bizarre. they are 25th in the NFL in time of possession

are you trolling this thread? you are saying if you don't consider picking up a QB off the waiver wire to start over Drew Brees in your fantasy playoffs you know nothing about winning fantasy football. and what does your other positions have anything to do with your QB? no one should be adding a QB off their waiver wire to start over Drew Brees, ever.my example showed the Panthers can give up plenty of yards, Tannehill and Brady both got 300 yards and Glennon moved the ball with ease when he got a pass off. they aren't anything like Seattle who had a sub 5 YPA on the season.

I can understand being worried the Panthers might keep Brees off the field a little, but worrying about St Louis is bizarre. they are 25th in the NFL in time of possession
I'm trolling? He hasn't had a top 10 fantasy week in the three weeks since I posted this thread.

I do not believe the game against St Louis will be as easy as you think it will be for him.

I do not believe the game against St Louis will be as easy as you think it will be for him.
It won't -- St. Louis has been a difficult matchup for the Saints' offense throughout the entire Payton-Brees era. Could be worse this year, with the Saints' offensive line struggling so badly. You can count on a poor game against the Rams.

Playing Carolina twice in three weeks is the interesting thing here. You start Brees at home, period, against Carolina or anyone, that is pretty much conventional wisdom. But what happens if Brees struggles at home and you somehow survive to play in the championship two weeks later? (say you have a bye this week). The odds that Brees plays better in Carolina than he did at home certainly arent good. Then again, the division will probably be on the line in that scenario, do you sit down a HOF at a time like that. I'd call that anything but a no-brainer... at least assuming you have some kind of a reasonable alternative with a decent matchup.

There's always second guessing your studs during playoff time when they have bad matchups (and 99% of the time... you play your studs and deal with it). But I dont recall a situation quite like this where you get a pretty accurate preview within 2 weeks of the biggest dance of all.

May you live in interesting times...

Playing Carolina twice in three weeks is the interesting thing here. You start Brees at home, period, against Carolina or anyone, that is pretty much conventional wisdom. But what happens if Brees struggles at home and you somehow survive to play in the championship two weeks later? (say you have a bye this week). The odds that Brees plays better in Carolina than he did at home certainly arent good. Then again, the division will probably be on the line in that scenario, do you sit down a HOF at a time like that. I'd call that anything but a no-brainer... at least assuming you have some kind of a reasonable alternative with a decent matchup.

There's always second guessing your studs during playoff time when they have bad matchups (and 99% of the time... you play your studs and deal with it). But I dont recall a situation quite like this where you get a pretty accurate preview within 2 weeks of the biggest dance of all.

I don't really think Seattle and Carolina are accurately comparable. Seattle leads NFL in YPA against and Carolina is a solid 11th. The reason Carolina is so high in fewest fantasy points allowed isn't yardage it's they've barely allowed any TDs (9 in 12 games). that seems somewhat fluky and if Brees gets 2 TDs he should have a strong game. Brady, Tannehill, Manuel, Wilson have been right around 300 yards with Bradford and Glennon at 275. Panthers are easier than Seahawks to pass against

I don't really think Seattle and Carolina are accurately comparable. Seattle leads NFL in YPA against and Carolina is a solid 11th. The reason Carolina is so high in fewest fantasy points allowed isn't yardage it's they've barely allowed any TDs (9 in 12 games). that seems somewhat fluky and if Brees gets 2 TDs he should have a strong game. Brady, Tannehill, Manuel, Wilson have been right around 300 yards with Bradford and Glennon at 275. Panthers are easier than Seahawks to pass against
Yeah no question- but Brees doesnt have to have another 145 yard passing game to end a lot of playoff runs. 250 and 2tds could be just as big a disaster, given what you expect of him.

Yeah no question- but Brees doesnt have to have another 145 yard passing game to end a lot of playoff runs. 250 and 2tds could be just as big a disaster, given what you expect of him.
well true, but you aren't going to add a guy off waivers you expect for more than 250 and 2 TDs and I think you can expect 250/2 from Brees (obviously with potential for more)

tjnc09 said:
He is?
In the past four weeks, Fitzpatrick is ranked #4 in fantasy pts for all QBs and is going against the def (Denver) that allows the 5th most fantasy pts to QBs.

tjnc09 said:
He is?
In the past four weeks, Fitzpatrick is ranked #4 in fantasy pts for all QBs and is going against the def (Denver) that allows the 5th most fantasy pts to QBs.
ok and on the season Drew Brees is #2, probably #1 at home. it'd be like starting Riley Cooper over AJ Green

well true, but you aren't going to add a guy off waivers you expect for more than 250 and 2 TDs and I think you can expect 250/2 from Brees (obviously with potential for more)
Why does it have to be a guy off wavers? A lot of teams carry 2 quarterbacks, and a Tony Romo or RG3 might be a viable play under the right circumstances.

hines said:
tjnc09 said:
He is?
ok and on the season Drew Brees is #2, probably #1 at home. it'd be like starting Riley Cooper over AJ Green
Brees has feasted on bad defenses at home. His last home game, against San Francisco, he only threw one touchdown pass. Carolina is the number one fantasy defense against quarterbacks. After Brees' stinker last week, he's no longer matchup proof. In fact, he's only thrown more than two TDs four of his 12 games this season. He lights up bad defenses so badly that his seasonal numbers look great. But look closer.

It's not often that Brees gets routed like that. One of the best teams in my league was sent packing after SEA mauled him and the Saints. The Horror for anyone who got dumped.

hines said:
tjnc09 said:
He is?
So, every week of their careers, Green is absolutely the better option? What if Green is playing Cleveland (58 yards v Haden in two games this year). Do you auto start him then?

I don't care about names. Every matchup should be considered. If Brees were at home v Minnesota NO WAY I consider any other QB this week. But he is going against a divisional rival in a prime time game. Starting him is not that easy of a decision even with his success at home.

if you benched Drew Brees you deserve to be out of the playoffs. Brees at home is a no-brainer always. @Carolina in week 16, I still think no one can bench him unless you somehow have Tony Romo or a similar option. the way he carved the Panthers last night was pretty easy

the overreaction to a poor game @Seattle was bizarre

if you benched Drew Brees you deserve to be out of the playoffs. Brees at home is a no-brainer always. @Carolina in week 16, I still think no one can bench him unless you somehow have Tony Romo or a similar option. the way he carved the Panthers last night was pretty easy

No, fortunately I did not. He has been too dominant at home.

It's not really an overreaction to the Seattle game - he had a stretch of mediocre weeks there. If you drafted Brees, you likely paid a premium so you need him to be a top 5 QB, not 15-20.

I still don't think the next 2 games will be that easy for him but I will be happy to be wrong.

It's not really an overreaction to the Seattle game - he had a stretch of mediocre weeks there. If you drafted Brees, you likely paid a premium so you need him to be a top 5 QB, not 15-20.

I still don't think the next 2 games will be that easy for him but I will be happy to be wrong.
Not sure about your league buts he's top 5 in mine. Singlehandedly got me the playoff win this week and my opponent had Cam and Brees massively outscored him.

Brees is #2 in my league by far and I figure he is in most leagues. you can't be disappointed with his production this year, he has likely carried your team. he had average games home vs 49ers and @ Atlanta (where Saints barely had the ball) and then Seattle. Peyton had a bit of a slump too, all players do. my point is you don't bench elite players for average guys with good matchups. Double that when it's Drew Brees and he is at home. he has had incredible games in 5/7 home games with solid other 2

It won't -- St. Louis has been a difficult matchup for the Saints' offense throughout the entire Payton-Brees era. Could be worse this year, with the Saints' offensive line struggling so badly. You can count on a poor game against the Rams.
:popcorn:
wait until the end of the game. you are celebrating this call yet last week you said people should start Fitzpatrick over Brees.

wait until the end of the game. you are celebrating this call yet last week you said people should start Fitzpatrick over Brees.
I'm not celebrating anything. He has been mediocre (except for Carolina) since I posted this thread - I thought that's what this forum was about.

Brees owners should hope he would be down 3 TDs. Need to win the game and he's not going to get benched.

What about now?

What about now?
as I said in the previous post, wait until the end of the game. having a bad game does not mean you are right to bench him, it would be a lucky bad decision

What about now?
never bench your elite players. 2 straight weeks you implied you think he should be benched, twice Brees has monster games

I agree 100%, never bench Brees ...and I never will. Never worried a minute.

However, next week's outdoor game @CAR has me a little nervous.

What about now?
never bench your elite players. 2 straight weeks you implied you think he should be benched, twice Brees has monster games
Uh he was average in my standard league.

Users who are viewing this thread