What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

It’s a shockingly fast recovery IMO. And it’s not as if he was looking all world before the injury. 
He's coming back at 5 weeks, within the 4-6 week window. More detail in this Saintsreport thread, including a link to a helpful video about rib injuries in sports.

"11 broken ribs" sounds terrible ... but I think the gist of it is that ribs are not as thick of bones as, say, the femur or the tibia or even the forearm bones. Accordingly, they "heal enough" faster than larger bones -- less bone growth has to take place.

NOTE: Last comment is not from the video, just me applying logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still think he’ll be apprehensive. Dink and dunk more than usual to play keep away from Mahomes.  Time of possession. For sure starting Brady over him 

Saints coach Sean Payton confirmed Drew Brees (ribs) will start in Week 15 against the Chiefs.

Payton also said Brees has worn protective gear around his ribs for years, so playing Sunday should be nothing new. The Saints swore up and down the veteran signal-caller would only play when he made a full recovery, and Sunday's inevitable shootout against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs appears to be the perfect spot to return. Given the game environment in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, Brees can confidently be slotted into starting lineups as a low-end QB1 in the second round of the fantasy playoffs.

SOURCE: New Orleans Saints on Twitter

Dec 18, 2020, 2:45 PM ET

Drew Brees completed 15-of-34 passes for 234 yards, three touchdowns, and an interception in the Saints' 32-29 Week 15 loss to the Chiefs. 

It was a decidedly rusty performance from the hyper-accurate Brees, who somehow played a month after breaking 11 ribs. Coming into Week 15, Brees had completed 73.5 percent of his attempts. The trio of touchdowns gave Brees a solid fantasy outing. His slow start, however, put the Saints two touchdowns behind the high-powered Chiefs -- a lead that proved impossible to surmount. Brees only targeted Alvin Kamara six times, a curious departure from his penchant for checking down before his rib injury. Brees should be considered a high-end QB2 next week against Minnesota. 

- Rotoworld

Drew Brees completed 19-of-26 passes for 311 yards and two interceptions in the Saints' Week 16 win over the Vikings.

Brees couldn't have looked better when handing the ball off to Alvin Kamara who carried his fantasy managers to a championship by scoring six times. As a passer, Brees was up-and-down. He was mostly accurate underneath and over the middle, but he made multiple crucial mistakes when putting balls into tight windows. Brees' massively underthrown target to Marquez Callaway down the seam adds to the narrative that the 41-year-old can't throw deep anymore. It's a legit concern for the Saints' Super Bowl chances, although the ground game and defense still make them one of the league's best all-around teams. Brees will be a forgettable QB2 in Week 17, assuming the Saints don't rest their starters.

Dec 25, 2020, 7:56 PM ET

Drew Brees completed 28-of-39 passes for 265 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' 21-9, Wild Card win over the Bears.

In his fourth game back from ribs and lung issues, Brees looks to be clicking on all cylinders with a 5:0 TD:INT mark over the last two weeks. His touchdowns in this one were 11- and six-yard hookups with Michael Thomas and Latavius Murray. The Saints still try to make Taysom Hill a thing at the goal line, pulling Brees off the field in critical situations sometimes, but it is what it is at this point and won't stop. Brees and the Saints host the Bucs in the Divisional Round next weekend. Brees threw six touchdowns to zero picks in two games against Tampa Bay this season.

Jan 10, 2021, 8:59 PM ET

Drew Brees completed 19-of-34 passes for 134 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions in the Saints' 30-20, Divisional Round loss to the Bucs.

The 42-year-old is expected to retire. It's not the way Brees wanted to go out, but his arm is cooked at this point in his career, as Brees is truly unable to push the ball down the field. Perhaps several broken ribs from earlier in the season are to blame, but his arm has lost several ticks on the fastball in recent years. Brees just didn't have it in this one, and the Bucs scored three touchdowns off four Saints turnovers. If Brees does indeed hang up the cleats, he will retire as the all-time leader in completions and passing yards. Brees missed four games this season and finished the regular season 275-of-390 (70.5%) for 2,942 yards and a 24:6 TD:INT mark. In life after Brees, the Saints could turn to Taysom Hill and/or bring back Jameis Winston.

Jan 17, 2021, 9:56 PM ET

Cross-posted from TB/NO game thread:

Thanks for the memories, Drew Brees ... and for my avatar. A lot of long time Who Dats never thought the Saints would hoist the Lombardi one day.

A Cajun died and went to hell. The devil assigned him the usual punishment...put him in the mass pit where the heat was melting others.

The devil came back sometime later, surprised to find the Cajun just sitting around, not even misting, much less sweating. "How come you're not so much as sweating here where everyone else is screaming for relief from the heat?" The Cajun laughed and said, "Man, I was raised in the bayous of Sout Looziana. Dis ain't nothin' but May in Morgan City to me!"

The devil decided to really put the Cajun through it. He put him in a sealed off cave in the pit with open blazes and four extra furnaces blasting. When he came back, days later, the Cajun was sitting pretty, had barely begun to sweat. The devil was outraged.. "How is this possible!? You should be melted to a shrieking puddle in these conditions!." The Cajun laughed even harder than before. "Hey, man! I done tole you. I was raised in Sout Looziana. You tink dis is heat?! Dis ain't nothin' but August in Cow Island !"

So the devil thought, 'Alright, a little reverse ought to do the trick.' He put the Cajun into a corner of hell where no heat ever reached. It was freezing, and to add to the Cajun's misery, he added massive icebergs and blasting frozen air.

When he returned, the Cajun was shivering, ice hung from every part of him, but he was grinning like it was Christmas.

Exasperated, the devil asked "HOW!? How is it possible?! You're impervious to heat and here you sit in conditions you can't be used to...freezing cold, and yet you're happier than if you were in heaven. WHY?!"

The Cajun kept grinning and asked, "Don't dis mean de Saints won da Super Bowl?"

Just saw a live shot from the Superdome, it was Drew and his kids throwing a football around on the field as he always does after home games. Not another soul around. 

Just saw a live shot from the Superdome, it was Drew and his kids throwing a football around on the field as he always does after home games. Not another soul around. 
Right before that moment you would have seen Brees and Brady having a moment and then one of Brees kids asks Tom Brady to throw him the football and he runs a route into the end zone and Brady hits him perfect for the catch/score, Brady also got a big hug from I assume Brees' wife and then you saw all of his kids on the field including his daughter amongst the boys running around playing catch. 

It's like almost a 1:00 clip, was on social media this morning. 

Right before that moment you would have seen Brees and Brady having a moment and then one of Brees kids asks Tom Brady to throw him the football and he runs a route into the end zone and Brady hits him perfect for the catch/score, Brady also got a big hug from I assume Brees' wife and then you saw all of his kids on the field including his daughter amongst the boys running around playing catch. 
NFL players, and especially stars and/or QBs, are kind of a fraternity. A lot of these guys and their families interact at various events all year long.

I wasn't sure if the NFL Quarterback Club charity still exists, but it appears that they do. It used to be a more high-profile thing -- those old NFL QB competition shows used to promote the Quarterback Club. Anyway, the Quarterback Club has fundraising events in NFL cities and a lot of these guys are familiar with each other from these events and others like them.

OverTheCap's Jason Fitzgerald reports the Saints renegotiated Drew Brees' contract to open up $24 million in cap space.

Brees likely dropped his base salary from $25 million down to the veteran minimum ($1.1 million) to help the Saints with free agency. His retirement announcement is still expected to come shortly, although his retirement papers likely won't clear until June 2nd so the Saints can save some 2021 cap space. Brees will come with dead cap hits of just north of $10 million over each of the next two seasons. The Saints could re-sign Jameis Winston to compete against Taysom Hill for the starting job this offseason. Their quarterback options will be limited because of their cap situation.

SOURCE: Jason Fitzgerald on Twitter

Feb 5, 2021, 9:49 PM ET

A video posted by Drew Brees' trainer showing the quarterback working out has raised questions about Brees' intent to retire. 

The trainer, Todd Durkin, posted a video in which Brees pushed a weight sled -- hardly the exercise routine of a 42 year old getting ready to retire. The workout video was full of cryptic comments from Durkin, who said, "Don’t know what he’s doing, I’m not sure what he’s doing. Never quite been done before! That’s a new record because it’s never been done before!” while Brees pushed a sled across a parking lot. Saints head coach Sean Payton said nearly a month ago that he expected an announcement from Brees on his future with the team. That announcement never came. With Brees' salary already slashed by $24 million to allow the Saints to carry a reduced cap number until June 2, the Hall of Fame QB would theoretically play for a base salary of $1.075 million if he shirks retirement. For fantasy purposes, Brees coming back for one last run with New Orleans would make Alvin Kamara a top-2 pick in 2021, while Michael Thomas would be far less desirable than he would be with Jameis Winston or another signal caller with more arm strength than the aged Brees.

RELATED: 

Jameis Winston

, Taysom Hill

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Feb 27, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Drew is everything to us here in New Orleans.  As a Saints fan, I hope that the Saints find their next great QB and win it all again.

But nobody will ever replace Drew.  The situation in which he came to our city makes it such a unique relationship and there will never be another Drew Brees in the city of New Orleans.

First ballot HOFer.  One of the all time greats.  Enjoy the next adventure Drew!!!!

Happy retirement.  Great player.  Great Competitor. 

I enjoyed that last game thoroughly.  I imagine it's tough for him to go out like that. 

NBC has cut ties with pyramid scheme enthusiast, hair plug cautionary tale, and former QB Drew Brees.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/15/drew-brees-done-at-nbc-after-one-season-as-nfl-analyst/
Drew Brees @drewbrees

Despite speculation from media about my future this fall, I’m currently undecided. I may work for NBC, I may play football again, I may focus on business and philanthropy, I may train for the pickleball tour, senior golf tour, coach my kids or all of the above. I’ll let you know

Drew Brees @drewbrees

Despite speculation from media about my future this fall, I’m currently undecided. I may work for NBC, I may play football again, I may focus on business and philanthropy, I may train for the pickleball tour, senior golf tour, coach my kids or all of the above. I’ll let you know
For the record, I just posted something similar on my social media. It's all possibly true and also not.

Users who are viewing this thread