What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Manning: Does Anyone Still Believe? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Giants owner John Mara said "there's nothing to report" regarding a possible Eli Manning contract extension.

His contract expires at the end of 2015. Ben Roethlisberger's recent five-year, $108 million signing with Pittsburgh could serve as a benchmark for Manning in contract discussions. Manning was quietly very effective last season, completing a career-high 63.1 percent of his passes. With Victor Cruz returning from injury and Odell Beckham Jr. on the cusp of superstardom, Manning will enter his 12th season with a wealth of quality receivers.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Mar 20 - 10:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Sources tell ESPN New York the Giants are comfortable letting Eli Manning play out the final year of his contract.

The two sides recently had conversations about an extension, but are no closer to an agreement. It's not a surprise, as the Giants are in a healthy salary cap situation and word is Manning wants more than the five-year, $99M deal Ben Roethlisberger got last week. Per ESPN New York, the team doesn't appear ready to make that kind of commitment at this point. If Eli uses Ben McAdoo's effective scheming and a plethora of weaponry successfully in 2015, a deal will get done ahead of the 2016 season.

Source: ESPN New York
Mar 23 - 7:12 AM

Rotoworld:

li Manning wants his interceptions in the "single digits" in 2015.

It's a very Eli Manning goal, and an unrealistic one. Since taking over as the Giants' full-time starter in 2005, Manning has averaged 17.6 picks per season, never throwing fewer than 14. Manning tossed 14 interceptions in 2014, a highly-acceptable number for someone who attempted 601 passes.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter
Apr 20 - 1:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning said he feels more comfortable in the second year of OC Ben McAdoo’s system.

"This year, I understand the concepts. I’m concentrating on the footwork, mechanics and timing of everything," Manning said. "A lot of it is stuff I wasn’t able to do last year [coming off ankle surgery]." Manning posted a 30:14 TD/INT ratio in his first season under McAdoo, completing a career-high 63 percent of his passes. With a full season of Odell Beckham and entering a contract year, Manning has potential to improve on his bounceback 2014.

Source: giants.com

Jun 6 - 2:27 PM

Giants OTA observations: Eli Manning cuts down on interceptions, players that impressed and more

Excerpt:

Injuries have once again decimated the Giants this spring, somewhat curbing already modest expectations. But what should get fans excited about this team is the improved play of quarterback Eli Manning, even if it is just in organized team activity (OTA) workouts in June.

In the first year of the Giants new offense last summer and spring, Manning (and all the Giants quarterbacks) were regularly throwing the ball into the defense's hands during practice. It wasn't uncommon to see three or four interceptions per practice.

This spring, in the second year in coordinator Ben McAdoo's offense, the interceptions have almost completely disappeared. Manning didn't throw an interception in the three OTA practices open to the media. The lone interception Monday was thrown by backup Ryan Nassib.

It's only June and everything needs to be put in perspective. Manning isn't facing real pressure. The Giants are practicing in shorts.

Still, for a quarterback throwing to a group missing some of his top receivers, Manning has looked sharp. His familiarity with the offense appears to have made a significant difference.

Even when blitzers and pass-rushers came unimpeded during Monday's practice, Manning held the ball rather than throw hurriedly into traffic. He took sacks instead of interceptions.

After a year where Manning saw his interception total dip from 27 to 14, all signs point in the right direction for a flaw that has plagued him throughout his career. It provides reason for hope in the second year of the offense.

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning - QB - Giants

OC Ben McAdoo said the Giants' offense is moving much faster this offseason.

Center Weston Richburg has been getting the offense to the line quickly and Eli Manning is moving better than he did a year ago when he was coming off ankle surgery. Teams that work fast usually end up running more plays and that volume can help fantasy owners. Manning quietly had a great season last year and has a chance to be even better in 2015.

Source: NJ.com
Jun 18 - 10:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning has shown improved arm strength this offseason.

"It is lively, very lively," coach Tom Coughlin said. "He has worked hard on that." Despite playing in a West Coast system, Manning finished behind only Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger, and Philip Rivers in 20-plus yard attempts last season. Improving his arm strength should create more downfield plays for Odell Beckham and Rueben Randle. Manning has a good chance to outperform his 30:14 TD/INT ratio in his second year under OC Ben McAdoo.

Source: giants.com
Jun 19 - 5:30 PM

Eli will be a top 5 fantsy QB in 2015. He'll offer tremendous value in re-drafts this season.
That's a bold prediction. I guess I can see it happening but I'll take the under.
He has a very good wr group along with Vereen out of the back field, plays in a division where their defenses aren't all that great so a lot of potential shootouts. Most importantly you can get this guy about 6 rounds after cam and matt ryan are drafted. I think he will out score them as it is.....

Eli will be a top 5 fantsy QB in 2015. He'll offer tremendous value in re-drafts this season.
That's a bold prediction. I guess I can see it happening but I'll take the under.
He has a very good wr group along with Vereen out of the back field, plays in a division where their defenses aren't all that great so a lot of potential shootouts. Most importantly you can get this guy about 6 rounds after cam and matt ryan are drafted. I think he will out score them as it is.....
I just can't bring myself to draft him. He's burned me for so many years. I was so excited to dump him prior to last year...then he has one of, if not, his best season ever. Even with that said, I still can't have him on my roster. Just a matter of time before Gomer goes Gomer on us and starts chucking his dead duck INTs to wide open defensive backs. He reminds me a lot of Rex Grossman. Just my personal opinion.

Chemistry between Manning and Beck Jr. is critical to a successful season which will justify the upside to his ADP. Sat in on at least 25 preliminary mock redrafts (12 team) and Manning is going in the 5th or 6th.

Keys:

1. Odell being healthy and coming close to the insane production he had when he came back from the hammy.

2. Do not discount the OL limitations.

If Odell hits a sophmore slump and that OL caves - it will be a long year.

Strategy play is to make certain that you have another QB in the stable in case things go sour.

In 12 team redrafts I have been getting Manning and Tanny in addition to the lion's share of RBs and WRs. I would rather have some backfill at QB as insurance and if the Manning/Odell explosion hits you can always dangle QB backfill in a trade scenario.

Chemistry between Manning and Beck Jr. is critical to a successful season which will justify the upside to his ADP. Sat in on at least 25 preliminary mock redrafts (12 team) and Manning is going in the 5th or 6th.

Keys:

1. Odell being healthy and coming close to the insane production he had when he came back from the hammy.

Strategy play is to make certain that you have another QB in the stable in case things go sour.

In 12 team redrafts I have been getting Manning and Tanny in addition to the lion's share of RBs and WRs. I would rather have some backfill at QB as insurance and if the Manning/Odell explosion hits you can always dangle QB backfill in a trade scenario.
Manning & Romo are the two I've been contemplating. They prob won't finish top 5, but they should flirt with the 5-7 range. In an auction league, and I'd rather spend my $$ on RB/WR.

chad in Indy said:
Power Monster said:

Keys:

Manning & Romo are the two I've been contemplating. They prob won't finish top 5, but they should flirt with the 5-7 range. In an auction league, and I'd rather spend my $$ on RB/WR.
Agreed. If I choose to go RB/WR heavy with the prime picks (1-4 or 5) - I target Romo or Manning. I am torn between them but I am warming to Romo over Manning based on the OL valuation and the lack of a clear cut RB on the Cowboys.

One thing to note here is that Manning has been healthy throughout the years. Romo? Not as much.

SoS suggests that both retain great value but Romo has the edge here in SoS in the critical week 14 - 16 phase.

FYI - SoS for G-men WRS and Cowboy WRs are very favorable (including the week 14 - 16 phase).

FYI - Tanny in later rounds really represents great value and is in a nice SoS estimate (like the weapons that Miami has cobbled together)

SoS suggests that both retain great value but Romo has the edge here in SoS in the critical week 14 - 16 phase.

FYI - SoS for G-men WRS and Cowboy WRs are very favorable (including the week 14 - 16 phase).
Jets pass D looks much improved on paper. Romo faces NYJ and @Buffalo weeks 15 and 16. Not exactly tasty.

Jets pass D looks much improved on paper. Romo faces NYJ and @Buffalo weeks 15 and 16. Not exactly tasty.
I've never been a big fan of SoS as a draft metric. Same thing for OL grades. Too much changes from year to year for accurately predict SoS until 1/4 of the way into the current season.

I've never been a big fan of SoS as a draft metric. Same thing for OL grades. Too much changes from year to year for accurately predict SoS until 1/4 of the way into the current season.
I don't think you can predict it because, like poker, it is a game of incomplete information. The information we do have is that it is very likely to be cold in Buffalo in week 16 and there is a better chance for bad weather there than almost any other stadium in the NFL. Additionally we know that Buffalo had a ferocious defense last year and don't seem to have lost too much from that unit. Changing D-coordinators will be an adjustment but the new staff knows a thing or two about coaching defense and by week 15-16 the players should have it figured out. Regarding the Jets they added one of the better defensive minded coaches in the league and brought in a lot of players to bolster their secondary. Also, like Buffalo, they have one of the best defensive lines in the league. All that adds up to a credible conclusion that Dallas will likely have a more difficult week 15 & 16 than a lot of other teams.

Personally I am a believer that truly great players will produce no matter the circumstances so I will not change draft strategy regarding Romo or Dez in light of this incomplete information. However it may cause me to knock down the uncertain running game a few spots on my draft board.

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning's player rep admits he'd "like to know" when the Giants are going to get serious about a long-term extension.

Agent Tom Condon had previously expressed confidence a deal would get done, but is apparently getting impatient. Manning is headed into his age-34 season, but coming off a renaissance 2014. Considering the weakening state of quarterback league-wide, it would be stunning if the G-Men didn't get Manning locked up in short order.

Source: Rob Guerrera on Twitter
Jul 23 - 3:05 PM

Week 14 - 16:

Eli - @ Miami, Carolina, @ Minny

Romo - @ Packers, Jets, @ Bills

Was giving edge here to Romo based on not entirely sold on Packer D nor the Jets D. Bills will be tough. A formidable OL can possibly neutralize a solid DL but we shall see.

Thinking the Fins and Vikings will be much improved defensively as well. Not exactly trusting the NYG OL this year but then again, both teams (Dallas and NYG) have legit playmakers.

Week 14 - 16:

Eli - @ Miami, Carolina, @ Minny

Romo - @ Packers, Jets, @ Bills

Was giving edge here to Romo based on not entirely sold on Packer D nor the Jets D. Bills will be tough. A formidable OL can possibly neutralize a solid DL but we shall see.

Thinking the Fins and Vikings will be much improved defensively as well. Not exactly trusting the NYG OL this year but then again, both teams (Dallas and NYG) have legit playmakers.
I think Jets and Bills is possibly the single worst combo a QB could face to close the season. Possibly only Seattle could make it worse, though with their secondary so unsettled at the moment, who knows.

I'd suggest that the Romo close is so bad as to render him utterly useless for a title run. He's a must-deal or must-committee if you intend to have a serious chance to contend at season's end.

Eli's schedule looks like a comparative cakewalk.

Eli looks to have great value this year. Second season in a pass heavy offense with good targets. With Peyton and Brees coming down off the mountain top I would wait to get Eli while others go after Wilson, Peyton, and Brees.

He coming off the board after Cam and Ryan (which I find surprising) and agree he will out perform both. However there is no way you'll get Eli 6 rounds after them. In 12 team standard leagues Cam's ADP is 7.01, Ryan's is 7.02 and Eli is 8.10.

He coming off the board after Cam and Ryan (which I find surprising) and agree he will out perform both. However there is no way you'll get Eli 6 rounds after them. In 12 team standard leagues Cam's ADP is 7.01, Ryan's is 7.02 and Eli is 8.10.
Yes, I must have completely discounted the ODB effect or a general "re-warming" back up to Eli.

I am really surprised (not based on personal thoughts but just how I usually see things play out) that Eli has an ADP above guys like Rivers, Bridgewater, Tannehill. I really thought he would be sitting in the same box as Flacco.

Im high on Eli this year.

My strategy going into the draft is to wait on QB, if I miss on Romo, my next target will be Eli in the 8-10 rounds and pair either of them up with the likes of Bradford, Palmer or Dalton.

I like Eli in leagues that int's don't count heavily against you
Did you feel like that 30/14 ratio really crushed you otherwise, or is it that you don't believe his second year in the same system, with much better targets in general, and his best target for the whole year, will see any improvement?

Or, oh, because a few years ago when nothing was in common with now?

Eli is a serious dummy. That play that ended the penultimate NYG drive was football stupid. As smart as his brother is, Eli is a dullard. A play like that, from a vet named Manning. Incredible. Sorry.

He's a puppet on a string. "Mongo do what coach tell Mongo do."

Dullard is right. And that's putting it politely.

Bloom has Eli WAY down on the projections this week.

This despite the fact that he smoked them twice last year.

Got me spooked.

Wash run D looks solid, but I don't get the hate vs. the likes of say, Dalton, this week.

I'm hovering over the trigger of pulling him for Palmer. Short week and much improved Wash D over last year is spooky...however, they are at home, desperate for a win, etc.

I'm hovering over the trigger of pulling him for Palmer. Short week and much improved Wash D over last year is spooky...however, they are at home, desperate for a win, etc.
Palmer is a no brainer over Eli.

I'm tempted by Dalton. Even Fitz.

Would be curious to understand Bloom's logic. In his QB tiers he indicates Eli is a "desperation play."

I don't get it at all.

Sitting Manning because Washing shut down nick foles and the rams? Tannehill and Jarvis Landry? The leading receivers in both games were Jared Cook and Jordan Cameron.

kyoun1e said:
C-Bound said:
Palmer is a no brainer over Eli.

I'm tempted by Dalton. Even Fitz.

Would be curious to understand Bloom's logic. In his QB tiers he indicates Eli is a "desperation play."

I don't get it at all.
Well it depends. If you are in a 1QB league (how boring), then yes starting Eli is not a good position to be in.

But in a 2 QB league, Eli makes a fine number 2 QB.

Users who are viewing this thread