What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (2 Viewers)

The Afghan - Frederick Forsyth :thumbup:
Hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for the heads up. Nothing better than a new Forsyth novel on a cold winter's weekend.
ive never read anything by him although ive seen his name plentywhats he all about?
Military espionage, black ops, special forces, etc. Check out his titles -- there's some real heavyweight works of fiction in his list. I'm always entertained by his work. No superstar characters with superhero powers, just persistent guys digging deep for the facts.
Forsyth is SOLID. Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, and The Dogs of War are classics. And his newer stuff is still very enjoyable. Afghan was a very enjoyable read, IMO. I'm currently reading In the Moon of Red Ponies by James Lee Burke. Burke has a very lyric writing style, but with plenty of suspense, action, and solid characterization. I'd highly recommend his work.

Just finished a book with short stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa called >Rashomon and other stories<, including "Rashomon" and "In the Grove" that were the basis for Kurosawas Rashomon movie.

Excelent writting, highly recommend, everybody will find some stories he likes in that book.

Just finished a book with short stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa called >Rashomon and other stories<, including "Rashomon" and "In the Grove" that were the basis for Kurosawas Rashomon movie. Excelent writting, highly recommend, everybody will find some stories he likes in that book.
I generally think that I am pretty well read......and then I see a post like this. :D

Just finished a book with short stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa called >Rashomon and other stories<, including "Rashomon" and "In the Grove" that were the basis for Kurosawas Rashomon movie.

Excelent writting, highly recommend, everybody will find some stories he likes in that book.
I generally think that I am pretty well read......and then I see a post like this. :D
Me too. :bag:

FWIW, I did see the movie Rashomon. Totally by chance, the day after I watched the Kurosawa version, I caught the American teleplay version from the 1960s (starring William Shatner).

Children of the Mind - Orson Scott Card

This is the fourth book in the Ender series. As I said in my comments about Xenocide (third Ender book), Card really hit his peak with the first two, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. While I thought those two were great, Children of the Mind was merely okay. Nothing spectacular, but a decent conclusion to the story.

The Ha-ha - Dave King

Best book I've read in months. The main character is Howard, a middle-aged man that, due to injuries suffered in a Vietnam mine blast, can not speak or write. Outside of those significant handicaps, he is of completely normal intelligence and brain functionality. In the book, Sylvia, his high school sweetheart turned drug addict, drops her nine year old son from an unnamed father off on Howard while she enters rehab. The book takes it from there to explore both Howard's difficulties with communication, and his attempts at playing the parent role with an often unwilling young kid. I'd compare this book somewhat to The Memory of Running, another outstanding first novel. This is a great read by a first time author that I will keep an eye out for.

The Ha-ha - Dave King

Best book I've read in months. The main character is Howard, a middle-aged man that, due to injuries suffered in a Vietnam mine blast, can not speak or write. Outside of those significant handicaps, he is of completely normal intelligence and brain functionality. In the book, Sylvia, his high school sweetheart turned drug addict, drops her nine year old son from an unnamed father off on Howard while she enters rehab. The book takes it from there to explore both Howard's difficulties with communication, and his attempts at playing the parent role with an often unwilling young kid. I'd compare this book somewhat to The Memory of Running, another outstanding first novel. This is a great read by a first time author that I will keep an eye out for.
:blackdot:

Finally got to A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. 3rd in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series. This has been sitting on my shelf for a couple years now, and I'm not sure why. I loved the first two books and have really been looking forward to reading this one and the 4th book. Easily the best fantasy series to come out in recent times (hard to believe the first book is 10 years old). ASoS is so far as good as the other two were.

I guess a 5th book is due out soon......

Didn't read much over the summer. Spending a lot of time working on the house, etc.

This is the fourth book in the Ender series. As I said in my comments about Xenocide (third Ender book), Card really hit his peak with the first two, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. While I thought those two were great, Children of the Mind was merely okay. Nothing spectacular, but a decent conclusion to the story.
I guess I sort of agree with this, but we're talking about two different types of books. I've enjoyed the post-Speaker for the Dead books more than most. They're certainly tougher reads, and Card might force it at times as he tries to indirectly tackle "serious" questions, but I've enjoyed them from a philosophical standpoint. Let's just say it's a lot less embarrassing to read his attempts at ethics/morality than some of the other sci-fi writers.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess I sort of agree with this, but we're talking about two different types of books. I've enjoyed the post-Speaker for the Dead books more than most. They're certainly tougher reads, and Card might force it at times as he tries to indirectly tackle "serious" questions, but I've enjoyed them from a philosophical standpoint. Let's just say it's a lot less embarrassing to read his attempts at ethics/morality than some of the other sci-fi writers.
I enjoyed everything in those books except the obsessive compulsion.

Finally got back on a reading kick having been ill a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and got the rest of the way through Tom Robbins' "Jitterbug Perfume" which wasn't bad but not one of my favorites of his. After that I read a book of cycling anecdotes called "Tales From the Bike Shop" that a coworker of my wife's sent home with her for me to read. Had some funny, some inspiring, and some interesting stories about cycling if you enjoy the sport. Older book I hadn't seen around anywhere.

Currently I'm reading "King Dork" by Frank Portman as this book was sent to me by Beckster quite a while back when I was doing home improvements and not reading much. I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying this one and it is a real page turner. The main character is one of the kids not from the "in" crowd who longs to be in a band and meet girls, all the while struggling to fit in and to deal with his drugged out hippie mom and flower child stepdad, and trying to solve the mystery of what his real father was like through reading through his dad's teenage library of books and deciphering the scribbling, notes, and codes that his Dad put in the books for some reason. About halfway through it and I should finish it pretty shortly as hard as it has been to put down the last couple of nights.

City of Falling Angels by John Berendt

Can't really critique this one since I bailed on it halfway through. It just didn't grab me nearly as much as Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil did.

If anyone finished this, can you tell me if it actually started to go somewhere in the second half? The first half just consisted of him visiting a few random people in Venice and then telling their family history. Dull.

Trying to get through Confederacy of Dunces. I just can't get into it.
That's inconceivable.
I had to put it down- didn't work for me either. .... yeah, I know- great book. My brother and other friends who's literary opinions I respect absolutely love that book, but I just couldn't do it. And there are too many other books out there to waste time reading something I'm not enjoying (however- that doesn't explain why I'm trying- without much success- to get through Deleuze/Guattari's "A Thousand Plateaus" again... I guess it's easier for me to write off novels than non-fiction I think may be "important").

Finally got to A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. 3rd in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series. This has been sitting on my shelf for a couple years now, and I'm not sure why. I loved the first two books and have really been looking forward to reading this one and the 4th book. Easily the best fantasy series to come out in recent times (hard to believe the first book is 10 years old). ASoS is so far as good as the other two were.

I guess a 5th book is due out soon......

Didn't read much over the summer. Spending a lot of time working on the house, etc.
This series sets the standard for the entire genre. Once you are done, do a google on George R. R. Martin forums. One of the top ones that comes up has a great thread in it call something like Details (boy I give great directions huh?). In this thread there are literally hundreds of things sprinkled throughout the books that come full circle. Little details, tons of subtle foreshadowing and just some great discussion overall. But make sure you are caught up before going there as some cool details are bound to be spoiled.

For those interested in Christian topics, I just finished reading Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard. Not a new book, I know, but definitely an excellent read for anybody looking to challenge themselves to go deeper in their relationship with God.

Just finished No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin. A biography of FDR and Eleanor during WW2. Overall pretty good. I personnally skipped ahead through a couple of eleanor heavy pages.

On to Ghostwritten by David Mitchell. Somebody recommened Cloud Atlas by him. I have to say it was a very good recommendation. So far this book is pretty good too.

Just finished No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin. A biography of FDR and Eleanor during WW2. Overall pretty good. I personnally skipped ahead through a couple of eleanor heavy pages.
That was a great book. Just finished Team of Rivals by Goodwin. Recommended if you are interested in the politics of the Civil War.Currently reading The War of 1812 in the Old Northwest by Alec Gilpin.

On to Ghostwritten by David Mitchell. Somebody recommened Cloud Atlas by him. I have to say it was a very good recommendation. So far this book is pretty good too.
Both Cloud Atlas and Ghostwritten are very good. I recommend both titles to my friends all the time and just lent out my copy of each, again.

Just finished "The Ruins" by Scott Smith (author of "A Simple Plan"). Kind of horrorish...ending is fairly predictable but the journey getting there is fun.

Will be starting "Morning Spy, Evening Spy" by Colin MacKinnon tonight. "Cadillac Jukebox" by James Lee Burke is in the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted on another thread before I knew about this book thread...

Just finished Just Kick It: Tales of an Underdog, Over-Age, Out-of-Place Semi-Pro Football Player by Mark St. Amant (author of Committed: Confessions of a Fantasy Football Junkie.

My two word review? fargin awesome. Very funny on several levels and also emotional/poignant, just a great story of an inner-city semi-pro football team and its players both on and off the field. It read sort of like a "Friday Night Lights," but because St. Amant (a suburban-raised white boy) joined this hardcore city team as the kicker, it had a nice touch of Plimpton's "Paper Lion."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074328675...4895601-6464839

I recommend Jack McDevitt for sci-fi. He's write engrossing stuff. I've read Ancient Shores and am about finished with Eternity Road, both of which I have a hard time putting down.

It seems that most mystery/thriller series focus around one main character who carries over from book to book. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good series that has several main characters that interact throughout the books, yet can carry on their own storyline. Two of the best shows on TV right now incorporate this very well, LOST and Heroes. But I have yet to see this in books, aside from fantasy or sci-fi.

Anyone have any recommendations?

It seems that most mystery/thriller series focus around one main character who carries over from book to book. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good series that has several main characters that interact throughout the books, yet can carry on their own storyline. Two of the best shows on TV right now incorporate this very well, LOST and Heroes. But I have yet to see this in books, aside from fantasy or sci-fi. Anyone have any recommendations?
The Hardy Boys? :shrug:

It seems that most mystery/thriller series focus around one main character who carries over from book to book. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good series that has several main characters that interact throughout the books, yet can carry on their own storyline. Two of the best shows on TV right now incorporate this very well, LOST and Heroes. But I have yet to see this in books, aside from fantasy or sci-fi. Anyone have any recommendations?
The Hardy Boys? :shrug:
Chet ruled!

That was a great book. Just finished Team of Rivals by Goodwin. Recommended if you are interested in the politics of the Civil War.Currently reading The War of 1812 in the Old Northwest by Alec Gilpin.
My girlfriend bought me No Ordinary Time on a trip to D.C. while I was reading Team of Rivals unbeknowst the her. Team of Rivals I prefered to No Ordinary Time actually. I think its just the subject matter, both were well written, interesting and good.

Just finished The Runes of Earth, Donaldson. It's the first book in the last series on Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever. Read the others when they first came out years ago. Finished this one, looked online to see when the second in this set would come out, learned his schedule for publication is 2007/2010/2013. Yikes!

Picked up Inside Out, Nick Mason's story of Pink Floyd. Early chapters have been good story on how they got started. Lots of detail and photos.

Couple of non-fictions right now...

American Home Front - by Alistair Cooke

Composed during World War II for British readers, whom the late cultural commentator Cooke felt had heard "rather too much of Washington and New York," this travelogue of America was never published--until now; it proves an interesting eyewitness record on several levels. It recalls transcontinental travel in the pre-interstate highway era, and with greater depth, social problems that Cooke detected beneath the win-the-war exhortations he encountered from coast to coast. Driving out of Washington in February 1942, Cooke headed south, observing the Jim Crow regime en route to Gulf Coast ports bursting with military construction and a housing crisis. He then took a train to California, where he was disgusted by the internment of Japanese Americans, then in full swing. Circling back east in a car via Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis and St. Paul, and the Great Lakes cities, Cooke discovered their war industries and ethnographic compositions. Perceptive about the moment, prescient about postwar possibilities, Cooke's tour makes for profitable reading.
The Worst Hard Time - the story of the hardscrabble that endured the Dust Bowl (aka my recent ancestors)

Just finished Judge & Jury by James Patterson/Andrew Gross

An easy, light read. Reasonably entertaining. Better than some of his recent books and a nice alternative to TV. If you're looking for substance, look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread