What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (3 Viewers)

My 4 novels that I am targeting for this next few weeks

1. Cannery Row by Steinbeck
Monterey is one of my favorite places to visit in Northern California. What was once Cannery Row now ends in the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which might be the best of its kind in the USA. There are pictures and statues of Steinbeck everywhere. 

Jefferson the Caregiver said:
Starting "A History of Seven Killings again", wasn't able to give it the proper attention last time.
Give us an update as you make it through. I dropped it after about 50 pages and question if I just couldn't get into the writing vs the book sucked vs was too distracted with other things while trying to read it.

Recently finished Billion Dollar Whale about this Asian Maddof type kid who basically paid celebs to attend parties and got him in tight with Saudi and Maylasian govt rubes who funded his ventures which never turned a profit. Also read Barbarians at the Gate about the hostile takeover of RJR NabiscoEnjoyed both.

Currently reading Slaughterhouse Five

Recently finished Billion Dollar Whale about this Asian Maddof type kid who basically paid celebs to attend parties and got him in tight with Saudi and Maylasian govt rubes who funded his ventures which never turned a profit. 
Funny enough watched the episode on this in Dirty Money last night.  Amazing.

Finished the Dark Tower around 1am. An amazing reading experience from start to finish for me.  I have two quibbles along the way, both minor in the grand scheme.  Let me figure out spoiler hashtags and I’ll chat about those plus some end game discussion...

tagging in those who showed interest earlier - @prosopis @Uruk-Hai @facook

2 issues...

1. Very minor, but Detta’s slang was a bit much at times when she would start off about dat honkey mu fuh and stuff like that. I get that he started writing this along time ago, but it was kind of jarring when the slang would come out. 

2. The one you knew would be here, SK writing himself as a major role in the book. I get why he did it, I’m more ok with it already than I originally was, it just took me out of the story. I’m thankful the end wasn’t like “Sai King quickly jots out the last lines to save the Tower” or something super hokey.

The story was incredible. The ending for Susannah, Eddie, and Jake was beautifully done. I liked the ending for Roland as well, but I guess I have questions about that. Is his journey cyclical to him because of past sins or is ot his curse to bear being the last gunslinger? Does Ka make it so he succeeds each time or can he fail and end the world?  Is he finding redemption in each reincarnation?  This is the biggest question, he was given the horn of eld so can he eventually gain absolution for that and move on from the tower?

Also are the comics cannon to the story?  I’m not a comic guy, but will read them if they are.  Also is the movie even worth watching just for the sake of seeing?  I personally have a hard time seeing Idris and McConaughey in those roles. 

Anyway, as close to perfect as I can remember reading. I loved it. 4600 pages in my version and I loved 4580 of them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished the Dark Tower around 1am. An amazing reading experience from start to finish for me.  I have two quibbles along the way, both minor in the grand scheme.  Let me figure out spoiler hashtags and I’ll chat about those plus some end game discussion...

2 issues...

1. Very minor, but Detta’s slang was a bit much at times when she would start off about dat honkey mu fuh and stuff like that. I get that he started writing this along time ago, but it was kind of jarring when the slang would come out. 

2. The one you knew would be here, SK writing himself as a major role in the book. I get why he did it, I’m more ok with it already than I originally was, it just took me out of the story. I’m thankful the end wasn’t like “Sai King quickly jots out the last lines to save the Tower” or something super hokey.

The story was incredible. The ending for Susannah, Eddie, and Jake was beautifully done. I liked the ending for Roland as well, but I guess I have questions about that. Is his journey cyclical to him because of past sins or is ot his curse to bear being the last gunslinger? Does Ka make it so he succeeds each time or can he fail and end the world?  Is he finding redemption in each reincarnation?  This is the biggest question, he was given the horn of eld so can he eventually gain absolution for that and move on from the tower?

Also are the comics cannon to the story?  I’m not a comic guy, but will read them if they are.  Also is the movie even worth watching just for the sake of seeing?  I personally have a hard time seeing Idris and McConaughey in those roles. 

Anyway, as close to perfect as I can remember reading. I loved it. 4600 pages in my version and I loved 4580 of them. 
How do I bracket spoilers? Is it just

?

2 issues...

King needs to stop writing characters who speak "black". It's been embarrassing for 40 years. Roland's journey is cyclical. But it advances, too. He now has the Horn of Eld - he didn't before. 

2 issues...

1.  It was jarring.  I kind of give him  a pass not only because of when he first wrote her, but in using that as a device to differentiate between the two personalities.

2. Hated it.  HATED it.  Made me roll my eyes and want to throw the book across the room.  Over time though, I've given him a bit of a pass just because he had nearly died, gotten into a hurry to finish the series, and I think was working out some of his own existential junk by doing it.  But it sucked.  Really sucked.

The ending is letter perfect in my opinion which is ironic when you consider King's history.  Roland's tale is a cyclical journey.  He has to start over, but now with a very key tool added to his arsenal.  With all of its references to King, I thought LOST should have ripped off the ending as an homage.  A few episode build up where it becomes clear Jack is on a journey that we think will be completed, but when he walks through that door we flash back as Jack opens his eye, gets up to take in the chaos of the crash, but it's clear he has ________ added to his arsenal to get him closer to completing his journey.  Could only have been better than what they wrote.  :D  

I digress.  Glad you loved the series.  I'm going to read it once more through before I die. 

Reading “The Mirror and the Light,” the just-released final book in Hilary Mantel’s trilogy about Henry VIII’s top counselor, Thomas Cromwell. The first two in the series, which started with “Wolf Hall,” were great and this one is even better. All 3 are at the intersection of literary fiction, popular fiction and historical fiction and this one is the best of the bunch. Already getting sad that I’ll probably finish it in the next couple days 

Reading “The Mirror and the Light,” the just-released final book in Hilary Mantel’s trilogy about Henry VIII’s top counselor, Thomas Cromwell. The first two in the series, which started with “Wolf Hall,” were great and this one is even better. All 3 are at the intersection of literary fiction, popular fiction and historical fiction and this one is the best of the bunch. Already getting sad that I’ll probably finish it in the next couple days 
I'm starting "Wolf Hall" next and will go through the entire series. Glad to know you liked it.

I’ve got that one sitting on my counter. Finishing the new Erdrich first. Looking forward to reading it.

I'm starting "Wolf Hall" next and will go through the entire series. Glad to know you liked it.
It’s kind of like The Wire. Takes a while to get into it and is atypical if the genre at first. But if you stick with it and pick up the rhythms and  characters, it’s better than the genre it comes from (cop show and historical fiction, respectively)

I found Wikipedia was my friend in the early going. Yeah, some spoilers- if there can be such a thing from stuff that happened 400 years ago - but worth it for me to understand what was going on

It’s kind of like The Wire. Takes a while to get into it and is atypical if the genre at first. But if you stick with it and pick up the rhythms and  characters, it’s better than the genre it comes from (cop show and historical fiction, respectively)

I found Wikipedia was my friend in the early going. Yeah, some spoilers- if there can be such a thing from stuff that happened 400 years ago - but worth it for me to understand what was going on
Thanks. Yeah, I'm gonna need a wikipedia page open. 

Stay safe and healthy, my friend.

For what it's worth (and please forgive the blatant self-promotion), two of my books will be taking advantage of the quarantined reading population with "free" promotions for Kindle editions on Amazon in the near future. 📙

Hostile Takeover will be available free for 48-hours on March 27-28.

Second Son will be available free from April 1-4.

Both are thrillers, but Hostile Takeover is more psychological suspense while Second Son is a mystery thriller. The books are "related" but they're independent stories (no crossover characters, etc.).

This will be the first time either book has been offered free.

If you like that sort of thing, please feel free to give one (or both) a shot. And if you end up reading it, please let me know what you think. I'm open to compliments and FBG-level roasting. 🔥 🤓

Finished The Way of Kings by Sanderson. The story came together beautifully with an explosion of action at the end. I think it could have been paced better (it dragged for long stretches), but overall it was highly enjoyable. I'm reading Warbreaker now.

Finished The Way of Kings by Sanderson. The story came together beautifully with an explosion of action at the end. I think it could have been paced better (it dragged for long stretches), but overall it was highly enjoyable. 
Just wait until you get to Oathbringer...

I just bought a Richard Chizmar collection of short stories for $.99 on Amazon. It was/is a special that cemetary publications is running.

I just bought a Richard Chizmar collection of short stories for $.99 on Amazon. It was/is a special that cemetary publications is running.
I got to know him because his son was a high school classmate of my son. Great guy, his lifelong bromance with Stephen King is a cool story - Chizmar published his stories when King was nobody and now King will do anything for him 

For what it's worth (and please forgive the blatant self-promotion), two of my books will be taking advantage of the quarantined reading population with "free" promotions for Kindle editions on Amazon in the near future. 📙

Both are thrillers, but Hostile Takeover is more psychological suspense while Second Son is a mystery thriller. The books are "related" but they're independent stories (no crossover characters, etc.).

If you like that sort of thing, please feel free to give one (or both) a shot. And if you end up reading it, please let me know what you think. I'm open to compliments and FBG-level roasting. 🔥 🤓
Please bump this on 3/27.

In times like this with extra leisure reading time there is one author I can always turn to for total immersion for about a month - John Irving.

Started "In Search of You" yesterday.

@shader just finished Red Rising on your recommendation. It was really good, thanks for the recommendation. Strong start to a series, can’t wait to read the next one. 
After reading fiction I try to pivot to a non fiction book. Just started the Complacent Class by economist Tyler Cowan. It is about about the shifting American behavior towards less risk, more stability, more control over our environments and how our economy is becoming less dynamic and innovative despite what you hear from Silicon Valley. Very interesting.

Finished Slaughterhouse Five.  I thought it was mediocre with some passages of brilliance.

Planning on tackling Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life next.  Was a gift from a history professor buddy when I asked for a recommendation about a recommendation about the battles of the Cuban revolution.

Please bump this on 3/27.
Below post thusly bumped. Happy reading!

😀

I forgot how good of a writer Steinbeck was (as a teacher, I am so sick of Of Mice and Men). Cannery Row might be my favorite thing I've read by him. The 2nd chapter is maybe the best quick little chapter I've read. 

What can it profit a man to gain the whole world and to come to his property with a gastric ulcer, a blown prostate, and bifocals? Mack and the boys avoid the trap, walk around the poison, step over the noose while a generation of trapped, poisoned, and trussed-up men scream at them and call them no-goods, come-to-bad-ends, blots-on-the-town, thieves, rascals, bums. Our Father who art in nature, who has given the gift of survival to the coyote, the common brown rat, the English sparrow, the house-fly and the moth, must have a great and overwhelming love for no-goods and blots-on-the-town and bums, and Mack and the boys. Virtues and graces and laziness and zest. Our Father who art in nature.

Finished the Complacent Class by Tyler Cowan. Basically felt like he copied and pasted his blog, marginalrevolution, into a book. 

starting Delta V by Daniel Suarez. Space economy, asteroid mining hard sci fi. Three chapters in, fast paced and attention grabbing so far.

Quick bump of the above per earlier request for the current Second Son promo (available free until April 4th on Kindle / Kindle App). 

Hostile Takeover promo went well with more than 7,000 downloads in 48 hours. Second Son will surpass that with a slightly longer promo period. Not making any money off it but hoping the books will give quarantined readers a nice escape for a few hours. 😀

Thank you to all FBG's on this thread who downloaded. If you end up reading, would love to hear from you.

Read and enjoyed the farseer trilogy years ago so now seems like a good time to continue with the tawny man trilogy. Half way through fool's errand and it's good.
Finished the trilogy. Very good. Doesn't have the violence or action of some fantasy sword tales but the characters are terrific.

Finished the Complacent Class by Tyler Cowan. Basically felt like he copied and pasted his blog, marginalrevolution, into a book. 

starting Delta V by Daniel Suarez. Space economy, asteroid mining hard sci fi. Three chapters in, fast paced and attention grabbing so far.
Finished Delta V. I liked it. I read it after hearing interviews with Neal Stephenson and Andy Weir and they both recommended it. It quickly grabs your  attention, it weaves business, economics, law, and space exploration in one novel. I read it thinking it was hard sci fi, but I wonder if non sci fi readers would call it a techno thriller. One complaint, Suarez could have reduced the space prep by just writing 2 chapters on it and then stating “training montage” for the next six months. I would read another novel by Suarez.

now it is non fiction time. Started reading the Inevitable by Kevin Kelly. Kelly is one of the original contributors to Wired magazine. The inevitable is about the technologies that will inevitably change the world in the next 30 years.

The Stand

Was surprised how underwhelming it was.  1500 pages and i don’t think i could even visualize what most of the characters look like.  

I don’t get it.  

I had my 5 year pick my next book out of the pile and it is All the Light we Cannot See.  

I am about 60 pages in, and absolutely love it so far.  

Users who are viewing this thread