What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

Remains of the Day was damn good.  Only have read 2 of Ishiguro's novels and both have been great, so I should seek out more.  I think I liked Never Let Me Go a little more just because it's in that sci-fi/dystopian wheelhouse that I love.  Any recommendations on the next of his I should try?

Yesterday I stared reading The Underground Railroad.  
If you like the dystopian/sci-fi aspect, his new one Klara and the Sun is in a similar spot. I read that one last month when it came out. 

The Underground Railroad is great. Love Whitehead.

Reading the The Rook by Daniel O’Malley. According to the cover “Now a STARZ original series. 115 pages in, interesting enough so far. The main character is part of a secret society that defends Great Britain against paranormal threats and crisis situations. 

Read the new Stephen King book - Later - last month. Enjoyable read.

Fascinating that King has really chameleon'ed himself in his later years. It feels like maybe 50% of his books these days would fall under the "classic King" category (probably more like a third).

No complaints here. I've always felt King is a masterful storyteller in whatever he puts his mind to (though he has had a couple of clunkers IMO...can't win 'em all). And even in writing outside his most popular niche of "horror", he still feels like King and is eminently readable.

I'm now wrapping up another Wodehouse book - Thank You, Jeeves - which is fantastic as ever...though this particular volume would come under high scrutiny today given some of the subject matter (spoiler alert - two separate English gentlemen characters don blackface for various reasons).

Not sure what's next on the horizon. I have some time on a beach coming up. Some sort of reading material will be held in the hand not gripping an umbrella drink.  :D

READING GRASP which is about an adult who has Aspergers/Autism. He started the program to help adults and kids work out issues that people with autism need more help with like social skills, dating, getting and maintaining jobs, how businesses and schools can do better for the autism community etc. Really good read. Since my diagnosis back in 2010 been trying to read as many books on the subject as possible. A little harder to read some of these today because a lot of the popular books now are somewhat out of date from 6-10 yrs ago. However still informative. 

Really was interested in the dating aspect as Ive never had a real "girlfriend". Have had friends as girls but nothing outside of just friends. Some of those relationships though I think a few wanted more and because of my Aspergers I never picked up the quo's from them and given that none of us knew I had Autism back then, if they had known I had it maybe would've tried something else. Did find a lot of interesting stuff on dating and a lot of my fears of asking a girl out, dating, etc I found out was incredible normal with someone like myself. 

Overall a great read and easy to follow. The author also adds in suggestions of books he's read or has more info on a topic if you want to read more in detail on them. 

Recently finished "This Is How They Tell Me the World Ends: The Cyberweapons Arms Race" by NYT cybersecurity reporter Nicole Perlroth. In depth analysis of the origins of the zero day market and cyberespionage. Covered numerous attacks from Stuxnet to NotPetya with a lot in the middle. Paints a disturbing picture of our defense and how vulnerable we are in cyberspace. Also disturbing how quickly some of America's adversaries have closed the gap in their cyber capabilities with us. 

Done with #5, really enjoying it. If Prime gets this series right, they'll have a hit for potentially a long time.
All the books been equally good?  

I have heard reviews where people said it dragged too much in spots and they tapped out about 1/2 way through.  

All the books been equally good?  

I have heard reviews where people said it dragged too much in spots and they tapped out about 1/2 way through.  
I could see where the third book would put people off as being slow. I compared it to the second season of The Wire; same characters but they're not together and a lot of new characters.  Other than that, I feel like through 5 they've gotten stronger. 

Finished a couple good non-fiction books recently:

2. One of Us. Exceptionally detailed journalistic work about the mass murder in Norway a decade ago. Wove the killer's story in with a couple of those who were killed. 
I read this one based on your post.  I thought the book was exceedingly well researched, though maybe a bit more detailed than I needed in parts (like all the bomb-making or the exact layout of the rooms for courtroom proceedings).  I learned a lot about Norwegian politics, culture, and history that I found interesting, and even a bit about Iraqi and Kurdish history.  Overall it’s a good (heartbreaking) book.  That being said, for the last third of it I skimmed a lot, because I started to get squeamish about the detail on the murderer’s political rants and manifesto.  Felt like I was somehow giving him and his abhorrent ideas the attention he so desperately craves.

I could see where the third book would put people off as being slow. I compared it to the second season of The Wire; same characters but they're not together and a lot of new characters.  Other than that, I feel like through 5 they've gotten stronger. 
Only what - 8 more to go??

I read this one based on your post.  I thought the book was exceedingly well researched, though maybe a bit more detailed than I needed in parts (like all the bomb-making or the exact layout of the rooms for courtroom proceedings).  I learned a lot about Norwegian politics, culture, and history that I found interesting, and even a bit about Iraqi and Kurdish history.  Overall it’s a good (heartbreaking) book.  That being said, for the last third of it I skimmed a lot, because I started to get squeamish about the detail on the murderer’s political rants and manifesto.  Felt like I was somehow giving him and his abhorrent ideas the attention he so desperately craves.
To me, just made him seen crazy. Especially juxtaposed against the stories of some of those he murdered who were pretty amazing young people, it seemed. But I can see how you would feel that way.

How did you feel about the maximum sentence being 20 years for killing 77 folks? I know in practice he'll likely never get out, but was shocked to see that.

To me, just made him seen crazy. Especially juxtaposed against the stories of some of those he murdered who were pretty amazing young people, it seemed. But I can see how you would feel that way.

How did you feel about the maximum sentence being 20 years for killing 77 folks? I know in practice he'll likely never get out, but was shocked to see that.
Yeah, that was absolutely shocking.  I suppose the people who live there are used to their justice system and might buy into that, but to me it’s infuriating to think he even has the possibility ever to get out.

Finished Witcher series (so disappointed in last book).

Any fantasy recommendations?  Looking for a great series. 

Should have also said I want to read a biography on every president so any recommendations on those would also be cool 

Looking back, I probably should not have started with George Washington. He was such a baller than I haven't been able to finish any other presidents. Maybe I should just skip right o Benjamin Franklin. 
Age of Eisenhower

Excellent book about our best President  

I am reading Killers of the Flower Moon. The Osage Murders and Birth of the FBI. 

Pretty interesting and funny how the Osage seemed to have pulled a fast one on the white man back in the day. Very well played.

About 50 pages into The Three-Body Problem.   Interesting, but struggling a little - a mixture of not knowing a ton about the that era of China + something feeling slightly off with the writing/translation.    Heard enough good things to keep plugging away.   

Went to the used book store the other day on my day off and loaded up on 1st books of series/trilogies to see if anything grabbed me enough to go on with the rest.  

I am reading Killers of the Flower Moon. The Osage Murders and Birth of the FBI. 

Pretty interesting and funny how the Osage seemed to have pulled a fast one on the white man back in the day. Very well played.
Oh, cool.  I bought this on Kindle ages ago but hadn't fired it up.  Glad to see I should.

Killers of the Flower Moon has been on my to-read list. Going to have to bump that up (I liked Grann's The Lost City of Z).  

My current print is V.E. Schwab's The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. Fantasy-type novel involving a 300 year old character who, as a result of a Faustian bargain, gets immortality in exchange for no one being able to remember her.  I think the premise is better than execution. I would have thought someone who has seen life change from being in France to the 1700s to NYC in the present would have some more interesting stories to tell. A historical figure will occasionally pass through the book, but it is mostly just whining about her love life.

My Kindle read is Alice Walker's The Color Purple. The Color Purple Collection was a Kindle daily deal a couple of weeks ago (with The Temple of My Familiar and Possessing the Secrets of Joy). I haven't read The Color Purple and this is pretty stunning. A tough read due to content at times, but incredibly well-written.

Last edited by a moderator:
JAA said:

Unsouled series  (8-9 books)- Will Wight.  Light, super imaginative and fun.

The Blade Itself  trilogy- Abercrombie.  Gritty (and awesome), and Logen is one of my favorite literary characters ever.

The Shadow of What Was Lost trilogy - Islington. Epic stuff, as good as anything out there.

Dungeon Crawler Carl - up to 3 books so far.  Funniest books I've read in a while.  Pulpy, but in a completely awesome way.

Skipping the obvious Jordan, Sanderson, etc. stuff.  All have lots of super high ratings, so all are really can't miss.  Just depends on what you're in a mood for.

ETA:  If you wanted a modern superhero trilogy, Super Powereds from Drew Hayes was superb.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
About 50 pages into The Three-Body Problem.   Interesting, but struggling a little - a mixture of not knowing a ton about the that era of China + something feeling slightly off with the writing/translation.    Heard enough good things to keep plugging away.   
I enjoyed the series.  There are some "WTF is going on right now?" spots and some drag a bit but there are some concepts and ideas that I found new and interesting that have stayed with me after I was done.

JAA said:

Unsouled series  (8-9 books)- Will Wight.  Light, super imaginative and fun.

The Blade Itself  trilogy- Abercrombie.  Gritty (and awesome), and Logen is one of my favorite literary characters ever.

The Shadow of What Was Lost trilogy - Islington. Epic stuff, as good as anything out there.

Dungeon Crawler Carl - up to 3 books so far.  Funniest books I've read in a while.  Pulpy, but in a completely awesome way.

Skipping the obvious Jordan, Sanderson, etc. stuff.  All have lots of super high ratings, so all are really can't miss.  Just depends on what you're in a mood for.

ETA:  If you wanted a modern superhero trilogy, Super Powereds from Drew Hayes was superb.
When with Unsouled to start.  Free on Audible is a sign.

Thanks!

When with Unsouled to start.  Free on Audible is a sign.

Thanks!
Can't miss.  Gets better and better as you step through the books.

I saw that one.  I was on the fence.  Is it A++?
A++....D-...A++.  Long series and the middle really drags.  Once Sanderson took over the last ~4 books it really cooked again.

If you step through the reviews on Amazon you can see the progression.  Still worth it to read all, IMO.

I'm six books in and really enjoying it. There's a lot going on, but it's really solid imo. 

When I started this one it was between WoT and Malazan Book of the Fallen, but WoT coming out on Prime later this year was the tiebreaker. Maybe start Malazan and report back ;)  

• Thanks
About 50 pages into The Three-Body Problem.   Interesting, but struggling a little - a mixture of not knowing a ton about the that era of China + something feeling slightly off with the writing/translation.  Heard enough good things to keep plugging away.   
Felt the exact same way about 'The Three-Body Problem'.  You'll have to let me know if sticking with it was worth it (I did not, which is rare for me).  I've read a number of Haruki Murakami's novels and found the translations of his works much smoother than I did with 'The Three Body Problem'.  Maybe it's just a Japanese vs Chinese author perspective?  Or it's simply the slightly unknown historical references?

Just finished 'Breaks of the Game' by David Halberstam.  He's a great writer, and getting his level of access to an NBA team was riveting (79-80' Trailblazers).  A recent NBA book I read, 'The Victory Machine' by Ethan Strauss (Durant Era Warriors), doesn't stack up nearly as well.

Just started 'Klara and The Sun' by Kazuo Ishiguro.  Heard good things.

E Street Brat said:
Re-Reading "Wool"

Still good, but I remember it being better, 
Just did this myself.  It's not as fun when there's no mystery behind things.  Plus tough to get invested in the scope early when you know it's going to widen.

I've found myself re-listening to old audio books the same way I re-watch old movies.  Went through a bunch of the King stuff again, did Wool, about to wrap up Morning Sun of the Red Rising trilogy.  Maybe this time I'll move on to the fourth, and now fifth, in the series.

I'm re-reading "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut

I had the urge to pick it up the other day because I feel like we are inching towards this...

Just did this myself.  It's not as fun when there's no mystery behind things.  Plus tough to get invested in the scope early when you know it's going to widen.

I've found myself re-listening to old audio books the same way I re-watch old movies.  Went through a bunch of the King stuff again, did Wool, about to wrap up Morning Sun of the Red Rising trilogy.  Maybe this time I'll move on to the fourth, and now fifth, in the series.
It's like we're on the same schedule. 

I picked up Iron Gold last month and after the first 20 pages or so had to stop and go re-read the first three.  Got about 50 pages in into IG this time. and still didn't like it.  That's what sent me "to cleaning". Now I'm debating if I want go back and read "Shift" again.  

trader jake said:
Felt the exact same way about 'The Three-Body Problem'.  You'll have to let me know if sticking with it was worth it (I did not, which is rare for me).  I've read a number of Haruki Murakami's novels and found the translations of his works much smoother than I did with 'The Three Body Problem'.  Maybe it's just a Japanese vs Chinese author perspective?  Or it's simply the slightly unknown historical references?

Just finished 'Breaks of the Game' by David Halberstam.  He's a great writer, and getting his level of access to an NBA team was riveting (79-80' Trailblazers).  A recent NBA book I read, 'The Victory Machine' by Ethan Strauss (Durant Era Warriors), doesn't stack up nearly as well.

Just started 'Klara and The Sun' by Kazuo Ishiguro.  Heard good things.
I don't think I could recommend it.  I powered through, and there was some interesting ideas for sure, but I really struggled with the language and the flow of the book.  I found myself skimming through, unfortunately.   I don't think I will bother continuing with the trilogy.  

My copy of Klara and the Sun came in today, I was just about to sit down and start a few pages before bed.  

Then I was going to start book 1 of another trilogy/series.   I have:  Eye of the World, Red Mars, Mr. Mercedes, Into the Woods, and The Fifth Season sitting in my pile.  

Then I was going to start book 1 of another trilogy/series.   I have:  Eye of the World, Red Mars, Mr. Mercedes, Into the Woods, and The Fifth Season sitting in my pile.  
About to sound hopelessly self-promotional, but since you mentioned trilogies, I'll post this for the whole team...  :whistle:

Hostile Takeover (Volume One of the Hostile Takeover Thrillogy) is currently on promotion on Amazon. Kindle edition available FREE this weekend (Sat 5/22 - Sun 5/23).

The book is currently ranked #1 in Amazon's "Suspense" category (nothing like offering something free to increase downloads), but it will likely drop back to the ranks of anonymity soon.  :bag:

The series is composed of thrillers (obviously) which are standalone stories but tied together with a few recurring characters and an underlying thread related to the bad guys. Some of our FBG readers have taken the dip and reported favorable results (THANKS, GUYS!!).  :thanks:

All this to say, if you have a Kindle, feel free to download for zero dollars just in case you ever want to read it someday.  :popcorn:

Self-promotional commercial over. In books being read (the point of the thread), I'm in the middle of "Billion Dollar Loser" - story of the founder of WeWork and that spectacular flameout. About halfway through. Interesting. Shades of Wolf of Wall Street but not quite as compelling (significantly lower quantity of hookers and blow in this one). Still, seems worth the time thus far.

Just finished book 6 and it's been the best so far.

PERRIN IS BACK!!!!

Just finished book 6 and it's been the best so far.

PERRIN IS BACK!!!!
Gotta admit, I went with Will Wight and Cradle series.  Im on the 3rd book, they have all been free on audible.  Ill get Wheel of Time once finished.  This series is moving fast.

About to sound hopelessly self-promotional, but since you mentioned trilogies, I'll post this for the whole team...  :whistle:

Hostile Takeover (Volume One of the Hostile Takeover Thrillogy) is currently on promotion on Amazon. Kindle edition available FREE this weekend (Sat 5/22 - Sun 5/23).

The book is currently ranked #1 in Amazon's "Suspense" category (nothing like offering something free to increase downloads), but it will likely drop back to the ranks of anonymity soon.  :bag:

The series is composed of thrillers (obviously) which are standalone stories but tied together with a few recurring characters and an underlying thread related to the bad guys. Some of our FBG readers have taken the dip and reported favorable results (THANKS, GUYS!!).  :thanks:

All this to say, if you have a Kindle, feel free to download for zero dollars just in case you ever want to read it someday.  :popcorn:

Self-promotional commercial over. In books being read (the point of the thread), I'm in the middle of "Billion Dollar Loser" - story of the founder of WeWork and that spectacular flameout. About halfway through. Interesting. Shades of Wolf of Wall Street but not quite as compelling (significantly lower quantity of hookers and blow in this one). Still, seems worth the time thus far.
Enjoyed Hostile Takeover. Added the next 2 to my digital library as well. Even did the selfie/tweet thing. If just half my followers get the book, you'll have one more reader.

Continuing some classics that have been on my bookshelf that, for one reason or another, never seemed to get through...

First was Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera.  I read One Hundred Years of Solitude earlier this year and enjoyed that one.  Marquez's writing was solid again, but I found the lead male character more stalker-ish than a sympathetic unrequited love type of character. Maybe (probably?) intentional, but he was more creepy than romantic and that made the book a bit off-putting to me -- message seemed to be that if you keep trying and being a creepy stalker, you will eventually win her over, which is kind of gross.

I then read Vladimir Nabokov's Despair. I read Lolita earlier this year (which had a creepy lead too, but I thought Nabokov made that work better than Marquez); continuing to love Nabokov's prose. The story is interesting enough, but Nabokov's wordplay and talking to the reader at times about other ways that he could have written a paragraph makes reading one of his books an experience all its own.  I just ordered Pale Fire to keep going with Nabokov.

Firing up the Wheel of Time series
Done with book 7 and this was the first that had some really slow/meh parts. Started out strong overlapping some storyline from book 6 via other characters POV, then had just some slow, monotonous story/characters. Picked back up half way and was really good 3/4 through, then petered out on what I was hoping would be a great finish.  

I think I benefitted from binging this series, every character is always fresh in your memory.  I could see this being the first real test of the readers if you had to wait in real time between books, then get through this one. 

• Thanks
Done with book 7 and this was the first that had some really slow/meh parts. Started out strong overlapping some storyline from book 6 via other characters POV, then had just some slow, monotonous story/characters. Picked back up half way and was really good 3/4 through, then petered out on what I was hoping would be a great finish.  

I think I benefitted from binging this series, every character is always fresh in your memory.  I could see this being the first real test of the readers if you had to wait in real time between books, then get through this one. 
Still impressive if it took to Book 7 to peter out a little for you.  

Just finished "We Begin at the End" by Chris Whitaker. NY Times bestseller, top 10 for a long time. I waited 6 months to get it from the library.

As I try to piece my emotions back together I can only reflect that this is one of the best stories I've ever read. It combines elements of John Irving, John Grisham (when he was good JG) and Stephen King for the way he can bring to life adolescents and youngsters.

If you're not sure if you have a heavy heart, read this and weep like a baby. Not only are the characters extremely captivating there is an excellent murder mystery thrown in.

For prime members Audible is having a subscription special for $7/mo for 4 months - 4 credits total.  I always grab these deals - they have been a bit scarce lately.

Started this last night....I had downloaded it right after you published I believe.  Certainly can't say it starts slow!  :D   I had tried to get our local library to purchase it for a little greater publicity for you, but they wanted more reviews.  I'm going to try again.  

Users who are viewing this thread