What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (2 Viewers)

Been reading a lot of genre fiction lately; Ludlum, Cussler, King, Crichton, Preston and Child.

Currently reading Warlock by Oakley Hall. And next up is either Stardust by Gaiman or Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, depending on when they become available at the library.

Warlock is the first western I have ever read, and so far it's great.
funny simey just turned me onto a band called oakley hallwas curious where the name came from. now I know. have to read up on that book

I finished The Road at lunch today after starting it last night. Hard to add anything to what people have already stated. Really hit me hard. I am going to read more mccarthy very soon. Any good starting point or just jump in anywhere?

Just finished reading The lives and loves of Daisy and Violet Hilton about a pair of conjoined (Siamese) twins and their amazing life. These girls were put on display immediately after birth and later performed on the vaudeville circuit. They had a role in Tod Browning's cult classic "Freaks" in 1932 and performed for decades after that. This is an interesting biography that delves into their personal lives as well as professional.

Yes, it goes into some detail about their sex lives. (they were joined at the hip so you can imagine it was interesting)

Next up for reading is Cannery Row and Der Steppenwolf

Just finished reading The lives and loves of Daisy and Violet Hilton about a pair of conjoined (Siamese) twins and their amazing life. These girls were put on display immediately after birth and later performed on the vaudeville circuit. They had a role in Tod Browning's cult classic "Freaks" in 1932 and performed for decades after that. This is an interesting biography that delves into their personal lives as well as professional.

Yes, it goes into some detail about their sex lives. (they were joined at the hip so you can imagine it was interesting)

Next up for reading is Cannery Row and Der Steppenwolf
If you like cannery row read sweet thursday. Same characters.

Been reading a lot of genre fiction lately; Ludlum, Cussler, King, Crichton, Preston and Child.

Currently reading Warlock by Oakley Hall. And next up is either Stardust by Gaiman or Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, depending on when they become available at the library.

Run (do not walk) and pick up Lonesome Dove.

Seconded

Drifter said:

Thanks. :yes:

Fiddles said:

funny simey just turned me onto a band called oakley hallwas curious where the name came from. now I know. have to read up on that book

I finished The Road at lunch today after starting it last night. Hard to add anything to what people have already stated. Really hit me hard. I am going to read more mccarthy very soon. Any good starting point or just jump in anywhere?
I read and really, really liked No Country for Old Men (movie comes out on Nov. 9). But it seems that there is near universal agreement that Blood Meridian is his best work. Of course, for some irrational reason that makes me nervous to read it in case it's either not as good as expected, or so good that the rest of his stuff pales in comparison.

Fiddles said:

I read and really, really liked No Country for Old Men (movie comes out on Nov. 9). But it seems that there is near universal agreement that Blood Meridian is his best work. Of course, for some irrational reason that makes me nervous to read it in case it's either not as good as expected, or so good that the rest of his stuff pales in comparison.
Thanks I picked up no country last night at the library and am 2/3 of the way through it. Love it. They didnt have blood meridian but they had the border trilogy so Ill hit that next.

Re-reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
How long has it been since you read it? How old are you now?
:mellow: I'd also recommend "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", "Trout Fishing in America" and anything by Jacqueline Susanne.
I guess it's been 10 years. I'm 31.I'm not really a big fan of fiction. I've been reading a lot of philosophy lately, classic Greek stuff, and remembered how some of this stuff was addressed in ZatAoMM. I basically read it like watching pr0n, just skipping to the parts that interested me. It was cool reading it and comparing myself now to how I was thinking the first time I read it.I'll check out your recommendations, thanks.

I just got done reading the catcher in the rye and thought it sucked. I must've missed the entire meaning of the book, but seriously, I didn't find it enjoyable at all. What's the big deal about that book?

I just got done reading the catcher in the rye and thought it sucked. I must've missed the entire meaning of the book, but seriously, I didn't find it enjoyable at all. What's the big deal about that book?
It's well written for one. The character development is also extremely well done (that's probably the understatement of the year). The book is especially appealing to adolescents. The angst is something they can relate to as Holden Caufield is pretty much the definition of teenage angst. When it was written no one had every really captured that before let alone written an entire novel centered around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's well written for one. The character development is also extremely well done (that's probably the understatement of the year). The book is especially appealing to adolescents. The angst is something they can relate to as Holden Caufield is pretty much the definition of teenage angst.
I must have never had that kind of angst. Character development was pretty good I guess, but I wasn't blown away - I really wasn't. I really didn't like the guy. He seemed to hate everyone and everything except for his sister, he was nearly manic at times, psychotic at others, cursed all the god#### time :rolleyes: . I dunno, I guess I just expected more god#### substance to the story than a fleshing out of a single character. Was there a plot? If so, I didn't get it. Nothing happened, it really didn't, no character changes, no plot climax, nothing really. It was like one long series of rants from a kid who seemed mad at the world, unhappy, and probably clinically diagnosable with anger problems, manic depression, etc.

It's well written for one. The character development is also extremely well done (that's probably the understatement of the year). The book is especially appealing to adolescents. The angst is something they can relate to as Holden Caufield is pretty much the definition of teenage angst.
I must have never had that kind of angst. Character development was pretty good I guess, but I wasn't blown away - I really wasn't. I really didn't like the guy. He seemed to hate everyone and everything except for his sister, he was nearly manic at times, psychotic at others, cursed all the god#### time :hey: . I dunno, I guess I just expected more god#### substance to the story than a fleshing out of a single character. Was there a plot? If so, I didn't get it. Nothing happened, it really didn't, no character changes, no plot climax, nothing really. It was like one long series of rants from a kid who seemed mad at the world, unhappy, and probably clinically diagnosable with anger problems, manic depression, etc.
Remember also that this was written in 1951. Imagine how this would have been received during that time. A highly cynical, intelligent youth kicked out of school, drinking, cursing, etc. And imagine how teenagers and 20 year olds probably identified with Holden, and how the older generation despised this adoration of the main character. Not to mention the use of "god dam" in every other sentence.LHUCKS kinda reminds me of that god dam Ackley kid -- probably looking at himself in the mirror picking his nose and popping his pimples.

I must have never had that kind of angst. Character development was pretty good I guess, but I wasn't blown away - I really wasn't. I really didn't like the guy. He seemed to hate everyone and everything except for his sister, he was nearly manic at times, psychotic at others, cursed all the god#### time :hey: . I dunno, I guess I just expected more god#### substance to the story than a fleshing out of a single character. Was there a plot? If so, I didn't get it. Nothing happened, it really didn't, no character changes, no plot climax, nothing really. It was like one long series of rants from a kid who seemed mad at the world, unhappy, and probably clinically diagnosable with anger problems, manic depression, etc.
Many people who read it as adults find him an unlikable character. I think we lose touch with our teenage angst and it's rare for someone well established in adult hood to "get" Caufield. Even people who read it in high school, then again decades later find they don't like him as much as they did when they were younger. Again, I think this speaks to the brilliance of the character.

:frankburns:It's got that word in it.

:frankburns:

Seriously, it didn't do anything for me, either.

Half way though the final book of King's Dark Tower series. (book 7) Really enjoyed it, was skeptical after the first book (The Gunslinger) but gave the second one a chance and it grew on me from there. Glad I waited til the series was done to start on it as waiting years between the episodes would have made it less enjoyable in my opinion. It's turned into one really long book for me, not sure what I'll do once it's over, been involved in it for close to 6 months now......Getting some good ideas here though.

Thanks I picked up no country last night at the library and am 2/3 of the way through it. Love it. They didnt have blood meridian but they had the border trilogy so Ill hit that next.
Finished this last night. Great book but the ending was a let down. I can see how the dialog fits in perfectly with the cohen bros style. I dont like the Woody Harrelson casting though.

Finished this last night. Great book but the ending was a let down. I can see how the dialog fits in perfectly with the cohen bros style. I dont like the Woody Harrelson casting though.
One of my co-workers said the same thing. I actually really liked the ending. In fact, if anything I would say that The Road had the weaker ending.

:shrug: I'd also recommend "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", "Trout Fishing in America" and anything by Jacqueline Susanne.
I guess it's been 10 years. I'm 31.I'm not really a big fan of fiction. I've been reading a lot of philosophy lately, classic Greek stuff, and remembered how some of this stuff was addressed in ZatAoMM. I basically read it like watching pr0n, just skipping to the parts that interested me. It was cool reading it and comparing myself now to how I was thinking the first time I read it.I'll check out your recommendations, thanks.
Sorry, those weren't recommendations. They were my school reading list in 1974.

:confused: I'd also recommend "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", "Trout Fishing in America" and anything by Jacqueline Susanne.
I asked the age question because I really don't see much of a reason to read that book again. If you had the discipline to read through it thoroughly the first time...there's not much value in going back in my opinion. The fact that there were 10 very formative years between readings maybe gives you a different perspective on it...but I think I would read about 15 pages and skim the rest of the fluff.

Blood Meridian rules. Don't hesitate. It deserves the hype. There are 3 characters in that book that you could legitimately rank in the top 100 literature characters of all-time.

:goodposting: I'd also recommend "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", "Trout Fishing in America" and anything by Jacqueline Susanne.
:P

I must have never had that kind of angst. Character development was pretty good I guess, but I wasn't blown away - I really wasn't. I really didn't like the guy. He seemed to hate everyone and everything except for his sister, he was nearly manic at times, psychotic at others, cursed all the god#### time :shrug: ...It was like one long series of rants from a kid who seemed mad at the world, unhappy, and probably clinically diagnosable with anger problems, manic depression, etc.
Sounds to me like you got it.It is a character study more than a story, kind of like Steppenwolf.

Just started War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - a little over 10% of the way through but I like this much much more than I ever thought I would.
Which translation did you read? Two new versions are coming out this fall. A shorter one by Ecco which is supposedly Tolstoy's first draft, and a longer, more annotated version by Knopf. I think I'm putting the Knopf version on my Christmas list. It's quite a bit longer but apparently the more complete of the two.LINK - War (and Peace) between publishers

Just finished Son of a Witch (sequel to Wicked). Great book. Really, really well done duo of books.
I loved reading Wicked, but I thought Son Of A Witch fell flat in comparison. I can hardly recall what the heck happened in it now, while the plot, subplots and characters from Wicked are still fresh in my mind.Have you read any other books by Gregory Maguire? I have a copy of Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister on my "to do" list, and I read Lost a year ago. (Review: "Meh.")

Just finished Son of a Witch (sequel to Wicked). Great book. Really, really well done duo of books.
I loved reading Wicked, but I thought Son Of A Witch fell flat in comparison. I can hardly recall what the heck happened in it now, while the plot, subplots and characters from Wicked are still fresh in my mind.Have you read any other books by Gregory Maguire? I have a copy of Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister on my "to do" list, and I read Lost a year ago. (Review: "Meh.")
I want to read both Ugly Sister and Mirror, Mirror but neither are available at Audible. Sadly that is the only way I get anything meaningful read these days.

I must have never had that kind of angst. Character development was pretty good I guess, but I wasn't blown away - I really wasn't. I really didn't like the guy. He seemed to hate everyone and everything except for his sister, he was nearly manic at times, psychotic at others, cursed all the god#### time :thumbup: ...It was like one long series of rants from a kid who seemed mad at the world, unhappy, and probably clinically diagnosable with anger problems, manic depression, etc.
Sounds to me like you got it.It is a character study more than a story, kind of like Steppenwolf.
Yeah, now that more time has gone by after I read the book, and the disappointment of not having had "anything happen" was over, he actually was quite a unique and well-developed character. I still wouldn't say that it's one of my favorite books, but he is certainly one of the more unique characters I've read about, and I suppose that's saying something.

I Am America (And So Can You)

Audiobook - Read by Steven Colbert (and full cast, whatever that means).

Heaven's Prisoners - James Lee Burke. I've mentioned Burke in this thread before. He rules.

On Deck: Wheel of Time - Preston and Child

Couple hundred pages into Cryptonomicon

So far, so good, though I really like the WW2 era part better than the modern part.

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. It's not great literature by any means, but it's a quick read about football, Italy, and redemption of some kind.
FYI, when all is said and done, this book is not very good. It's not horrible, if you're interested in Italy and can find a book about football interesting, but it's a pretty half assed book.
Agreed that it's not great literature, but it was a quick read and still better than 99% of the crap on television.I just finished The Straw Men by Michael Marshall and really enjoyed it. Good suspense thriller.

Blood Meridian rules. Don't hesitate. It deserves the hype. There are 3 characters in that book that you could legitimately rank in the top 100 literature characters of all-time.
Just started this and the scene where the comanches come in like a pack of freaks was disturbing as hell. Like something out of mad max. :thumbup:

Just finished Beyond the Band of Brothers by Maj. **** Winters.Just started The Godfather by Mario Puzo.
how was the winters book?
Finished that a while back. It was an ok read but if you've read Band of Brothers and the Larry Alexander book Biggest Brother then the only thing new you might get is some details of his life outside of the service. There aren't any new revelations in the book or different re-tellings of things you already know. Having said that, he is a great man and I think it wrote the book to make sure his story is told his way and to provide a little something for his grandkids in the future. Decent read just temper your expectations if you've read everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread