What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (4 Viewers)

I picked up "World Without End" by Ken Follett. I'm about 250 pages in and I gotta say that so far it's even better than Pillars. All the action without the minutia about building a cathedral.

Just finished Beyond the Band of Brothers by Maj. **** Winters.Just started The Godfather by Mario Puzo.
how was the winters book?
Finished that a while back. It was an ok read but if you've read Band of Brothers and the Larry Alexander book Biggest Brother then the only thing new you might get is some details of his life outside of the service. There aren't any new revelations in the book or different re-tellings of things you already know. Having said that, he is a great man and I think it wrote the book to make sure his story is told his way and to provide a little something for his grandkids in the future. Decent read just temper your expectations if you've read everything else.
Couldn't have said it better than that - thanks beer 30.

I picked up "World Without End" by Ken Follett. I'm about 250 pages in and I gotta say that so far it's even better than Pillars. All the action without the minutia about building a cathedral.
my wifes reading it and said its not as good as pillars. said the bad guys are caricatures of villians. too over the top. shes still digging it just not as much as pillars.

Almost done with "Nine: a recent history of the supreme court" by Jeffrey Toobin. It's interesting in that it provides some pretty good insights of the inner workings of the SC. It's tough to get past his liberal love but if you can it's ok.

Almost done with "Nine: a recent history of the supreme court" by Jeffrey Toobin. It's interesting in that it provides some pretty good insights of the inner workings of the SC. It's tough to get past his liberal love but if you can it's ok.
Give in to it.:manhug:

Just finished Son of a Witch (sequel to Wicked). Great book. Really, really well done duo of books.
I loved reading Wicked, but I thought Son Of A Witch fell flat in comparison. I can hardly recall what the heck happened in it now, while the plot, subplots and characters from Wicked are still fresh in my mind.Have you read any other books by Gregory Maguire? I have a copy of Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister on my "to do" list, and I read Lost a year ago. (Review: "Meh.")
Just finished Lost. Takes a long time to build up steam, and I didnt care for the lead character in the least. Meh sums it up well. Recommend Maguire's other stuff though. :goodposting:

Currently reading The Long Walk - Stephen King (Bachman Books). This is serioulsy f'd up, even by King standards. Excellent read though, very introspective.

Been reading a lot of genre fiction lately; Ludlum, Cussler, King, Crichton, Preston and Child.

Currently reading Warlock by Oakley Hall. And next up is either Stardust by Gaiman or Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, depending on when they become available at the library.

Warlock is the first western I have ever read, and so far it's great.
funny simey just turned me onto a band called oakley hallwas curious where the name came from. now I know. have to read up on that book

I finished The Road at lunch today after starting it last night. Hard to add anything to what people have already stated. Really hit me hard. I am going to read more mccarthy very soon. Any good starting point or just jump in anywhere?
I read and really, really liked No Country for Old Men (movie comes out on Nov. 9). But it seems that there is near universal agreement that Blood Meridian is his best work. Of course, for some irrational reason that makes me nervous to read it in case it's either not as good as expected, or so good that the rest of his stuff pales in comparison.
Blood Meridian rules. Don't hesitate. It deserves the hype. There are 3 characters in that book that you could legitimately rank in the top 100 literature characters of all-time.
Just started this and the scene where the comanches come in like a pack of freaks was disturbing as hell. Like something out of mad max. :lol:
Things are just starting to get good. That book builds and builds and builds...just great writing. That's one helluva graphic description in that scene though...just gruesome. I'm currently reading The Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It's got the Gaiman imagination going for it...but the characters seem shallow and the 'real world' conflicts are all pretty contrived. I'm not a big fan so far (about 2/3 of the way through). A terrific ending could turn the tide...but I'm not holding my breath.

Is there really no one here willing to discuss Murakami's books? Specifically I'd love to hear thoughts on The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore. :lol:

This morning I heard a radio interview with Max Brooks, author of World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide.

What I learned:

1. He is currently working on a graphic novel detailing historical zombie invasions.

2. He is working on a big-budget World War Z movie (they are shopping the screenplay).

3. His dad is Mel Brooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning I heard a radio interview with Max Brooks, author of World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide.

What I learned:

1. He is currently working on a graphic novel detailing historical zombie invasions.

2. He is working on a big-budget World War Z movie (they are shopping the screenplay).

3. His dad is Mel Gibson.
His dad is Mel Gibson? Not Mel Brooks?"Max Brooks" sounds like a nice Jewish boy. I think Mel Gibson is a rather fervent Christian. Then again, maybe I shouldn't make assumptions about names and religious affiliations. That could agitate someone.

:unsure:

:madmax:

Finished "The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven/Pournelle and then started and quickly finished "The Road". Both were really excellent books with the former being one of the better sci-fi novels I've ever read. The latter was a unique take on the post-apocolyptic wasteland novel with its focus on the relationship and struggles with a father/son.

Half way though the final book of King's Dark Tower series. (book 7) Really enjoyed it, was skeptical after the first book (The Gunslinger) but gave the second one a chance and it grew on me from there. Glad I waited til the series was done to start on it as waiting years between the episodes would have made it less enjoyable in my opinion. It's turned into one really long book for me, not sure what I'll do once it's over, been involved in it for close to 6 months now......Getting some good ideas here though.
I'm also in the middle of book 7 of the Dark Tower. It's definitely a grind through the first book, but I've enjoyed the series.
Heaven's Prisoners - James Lee Burke. I've mentioned Burke in this thread before. He rules.On Deck: Wheel of Time - Preston and Child
Wheel of Time series is one of my favorite Fantasy series.
Couple hundred pages into CryptonomiconSo far, so good, though I really like the WW2 era part better than the modern part.
I remembered why I didn't like the Stephenson, but did manage to finish the book. It was pretty good. I just think every so often the author goes off on detail or a story that makes absolutely no difference in the quality of the story or the telling of the story. Basically it seems like he needs a ruthless editor to streamline his books just a bit. Take a little out to make the whole better. But overall I liked that book.I'm thinking about rereading the Hobbit + LotR trilogy when I get done with the Dark Tower series.

Couple hundred pages into CryptonomiconSo far, so good, though I really like the WW2 era part better than the modern part.
I remembered why I didn't like the Stephenson, but did manage to finish the book. It was pretty good. I just think every so often the author goes off on detail or a story that makes absolutely no difference in the quality of the story or the telling of the story. Basically it seems like he needs a ruthless editor to streamline his books just a bit. Take a little out to make the whole better. But overall I liked that book.
Just finished Cryptonomicon last night. This one took me a LONG time to get into it. If I hadn't heard such great things about it, I would have bailed on it. But having said that, it turned out to be a pretty damn good book. I don't think I'm as crazy about it as some on here, but I really liked it and will probably check out The Baroque Cycle.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Awesome story. It's been a long time since I got so completely absorbed into a book, and I really wish it would happen more often. I've yet to read anything by Gaiman that wasn't great, and this one sits right there with Neverwhere as my favorite Gaiman.

Quick read. Story flowed perfectly. His imagination is incredible, and he does a great job of painting the scene on every page of the book. Highly recommended.

Just finished up Toobin's "Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson". Very multi-dimensional and fascinating reading, even if it is somewhat antiquated.

Just picked up several "Classics" and getting started on them now.

About 1/3 the way through Great Expectations. I like it so far. After that I will be going with The Great Gatsby, Catch 22, and The Souls of Black Folk (in that order).

Just started on Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I thought I'd get a little used to his stuff before I receive my copy of War and Peace for Christmas. It's pretty good so far. I read somewhere that Anna Karenina was voted "Greatest novel of all time".

Russian literature rocks. I wish I could actually read it in Russian instead of relying on translations but it's still cool.

No Country for Old Men in anticipation of watching the movie. Its my first McCarthy book and boy is it fantastic, great writing.. I love how he doesnt use quotation marks as it seems to move the dialogue along at a rapid fire pace, its like a hardboiled western set in modern times.

Are all his books in this style? I really have to get into more of his work...suggested reading by him other than The Road? I like the Western stuff.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Awesome story. It's been a long time since I got so completely absorbed into a book, and I really wish it would happen more often. I've yet to read anything by Gaiman that wasn't great, and this one sits right there with Neverwhere as my favorite Gaiman.

Quick read. Story flowed perfectly. His imagination is incredible, and he does a great job of painting the scene on every page of the book. Highly recommended.
Just finished American Gods about a week ago. Great great story with a really interesting take on all of our legends and mythologies and how they're passed down over time.

Gopher State said:
Rich Dad Poor Dad, should be required reading for anyone who wants to retire early
I thought that book was terrible. It doesn't provide any means to do what the author suggests, some of his advice IMO is downright wrong, and the controversy over the existence of Rich Dad makes me think the author is a bit of a shyster.

Starting Up and Down in California in 1860-1864. A series of letters from a participant of the first geological survey of California. Supposedly it's a great glimpse into early california statehood

No County for Old Men in anticipation of watching the movie. Its my first McCarthy book and boy is it fantastic, great writing.. I love how he doesnt use quotation marks as it seems to move the dialogue along at a rapid fire pace, its like a hardboiled western set in modern times.Are all his books in this style? I really have to get into more of his work...suggested reading by him other than The Road? I like the Western stuff.
I :thumbdown: McCarthy...I would check out Blood Meridian next, and then the Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses, the Crossing, Cities of the Plain) is really good as well...

For the last several weeks, I've been locked into the exceptional Dune series. I'd only intended to read one or two, then move onto something else, but I couldn't. It's like crack. Or something I've actually tried and been addicted to. Cigarettes? Wrapping up Book 5: Heretics of Dune, and then I'll finish Book 6 and FINALLY move onto the stack of books gathering dust in the bullpen.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Just finished American Gods about a week ago. Great great story with a really interesting take on all of our legends and mythologies and how they're passed down over time.
I really liked American Gods, though I'd probably rank it behind Neverwhere and Stardust.

For the last several weeks, I've been locked into the exceptional Dune series. I'd only intended to read one or two, then move onto something else, but I couldn't. It's like crack. Or something I've actually tried and been addicted to. Cigarettes? Wrapping up Book 5: Heretics of Dune, and then I'll finish Book 6 and FINALLY move onto the stack of books gathering dust in the bullpen.
man i love this series. i hardly ever reread books but ive read this series 3 times

Rich Dad Poor Dad, should be required reading for anyone who wants to retire early
Dude is a bit of a hack. LINK. There are many others, that's just the one that I found quickly. Not that it's a bad book, it's just not groundbreaking or anything.Anyways, on topic, War and Peace. This is the most difficult book I've ever read- going slow as hell and I still can't keep track of all the characters. I'm reading an edition from the 1940's though, I hear the newer translations are a little easier to read.

I just finished blood meridian by mccarthy and I actually didnt like it as much as the road or no country

I am easily bored when theres little dialog and there were long stretches of him describing scenery

I thought it picked up at the end though. The scene towards the end with the judge holding that meat umbrella and he has the fool with him were really disturbing. The judge gives hannibal lector a run for his money for sure.

Reading the chapter in James Michener's "Alaska" that covers the Klondike gold rush. I've made two cruises to Alaska and was interested in reading more about the gold rush. "Alaska" is a good book, but like most/all of Michener's works, it's huge. I'm a fairly slow reader, so books of this length (1000 pages or so) intimidate me.

Reading the chapter in James Michener's "Alaska" that covers the Klondike gold rush. I've made two cruises to Alaska and was interested in reading more about the gold rush. "Alaska" is a good book, but like most/all of Michener's works, it's huge. I'm a fairly slow reader, so books of this length (1000 pages or so) intimidate me.
I read this before I went to alaska. I loved the gold rush and salmon chapters. Actually I remember the whole book being excellent. We didnt go to the inside passage and missed out on the gold history. Definately something I want to do in the future.

Just finished The Unquiet by John Connolly. I've read 3-4 of his books and I'm becoming a big fan.

Just finished the Dark Tower series (King) today. Nice ending. Glad I read it, but it's not going in my top 5, and I probably won't re-read it.

Just finished World War Z... I thought it was a really good book, I would recommend it.

Have The Lovely Bones to read next. It was buy 1 get 1 half off on a section of books at Borders so I picked up WWZ and The Lovely Bones to read today.

Just finished The Disunited States of America, a lightweight book from Harry Turtledove where he envisions the original 13 colonies never uniting because of an inability to reach a compromise over the constitution. The country escapes the one big civil war, but instead is fragmented into smaller states which engage in numerous little wars, one of which is the setting of this book. Ohio bombs Parkersburg into rubble and invades Virginia.

I'm now early into Austin Murphy's Saturday Rules, a look at the 2006 college football season. I already like the way he contrasts the differences in the college and pro games to reach the same conclusion that I have -- for all its faults, that college football is a lot more fun.

Just finished Clive Cussler Treasure of Khan, it was good.

Just started Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child The Wheel of Darkness. Excellent so far. Pendergast is awesome.

1776 - but Its taking me forever to get through it. I'll read two pages and set it down. Last I finished was 30 seconds over tokyo. good read.

Users who are viewing this thread