What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (8 Viewers)

I went to a used book store and decided I needed a blast from the past western style. I picked up 3 Louis L'Amour books. I'm reading Sitka right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Armor by John Steakley: Recommended by a friend. Pretty good action sequences, but why would you go billions of miles to fight giant evil ants in hand to hand combat?

Currently reading The Stars My Destination: Love this so far. Great classic sci fi which is extremely funny as well.

On Writing by Stephen King: Excellent.

Reread 1984: Obviously fantastic.

Haunted (listened to audiobook): Never could really get into this and was tempted to give up on it a few times. Great if you like disgusting.

Is it normal to be in the midst of so many books simultaneously, or do most people finish one before picking up another? I like to rotate among them based upon what I'm in the mood for a particular day, but I'm wondering if that's what other people do, too.
One at a time.
One at a time here for the most part as well. Sometimes I'll really labor through the first part (or middle) of a book. Rather than read with half-interest...I'll pick up another and then come back to the first with a fresh look. Usually helps to keep my concentration level up on whatever I'm reading.
Hmmm...well, I've wondered if I might get more out of an individual book if it weren't being set aside occasionally. Just think I must have some mild ADD or something, though.

Is it normal to be in the midst of so many books simultaneously, or do most people finish one before picking up another? I like to rotate among them based upon what I'm in the mood for a particular day, but I'm wondering if that's what other people do, too.
One at a time.
One at a time here for the most part as well. Sometimes I'll really labor through the first part (or middle) of a book. Rather than read with half-interest...I'll pick up another and then come back to the first with a fresh look. Usually helps to keep my concentration level up on whatever I'm reading.
Hmmm...well, I've wondered if I might get more out of an individual book if it weren't being set aside occasionally. Just think I must have some mild ADD or something, though.
I'm reading about 5 books right now. Don't worry about it.The most recent was O Jerusalem based on someone's recommendation on this site.

Die Trying - Lee Child

One of the better thriller writers going right now. A lot of testosterone in his books.

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

I hope it gets better, because the first book was kind of meh

The Orchard Keeper - Cormac McCarthy

Cormac is my favorite living author, but this book was pretty mediocre. I'll cut him some slack since it was his first novel, but this was one disjointed mess. The quality of writing was the only thing that made me stick with it.

A Simple Plan - Scott Smith

Really good. I'm not sure if I buy that a good person could slide into evil so easily, buy maybe I'm just naive. Great writing though, I may have to check out the film.

Next up:

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky

Reading 3 currently

To kill a mockingbird- I never read this and feel I should. So far I like it quite a bit.

Mere Christianity ,CS Lewis- Very good book which are actually radio broadcasts he made around WW2

Game of inches, Peter Morris- Excellent book about how baseball rules were shaped. I am liking this one quite a bit. Really good history of the game.

Recently finished Haunted which I feel would have been better as just a book of short stories. I still dont know why he went through the whole premise of a writers retreat/lockdown. Some of the short stories were excellent and some were really just there for the gross out factor. I really liked the nightmare box story.

Really good. I'm not sure if I buy that a good person could slide into evil so easily, buy maybe I'm just naive. Great writing though, I may have to check out the film.
I never read the book...but I really enjoyed the movie. Paxton and Billy Bob both do a really solid acting job.

I never read the book...but I really enjoyed the movie. Paxton and Billy Bob both do a really solid acting job.
I've heard that the two really diverge about halfway through. Plus he spends a lot of the book in the main character's head, so I have to believe that they are pretty different.

BTW, since I think there are a few Ron McLarty fans that peruse this thread, I thought I would point out that his third novel, Art in America, comes out on July 3.

I used to be this way. Recently I was cleaning out my side of the bedroom and had a pile of about 20-30 books that I had been reading or got part way through, etc.... so I've been trying to crack down on the # of them that I read at a time. A lot of my problem was that I'd order something through the library that took a bit to come in. I'd be reading another book or two but feel that I have to read the library one quick so I could get it back on time, and forget what I had read in the other book. So - I've been keeping better track of what's coming in through the library and trying to limit the reading to 1 non-fiction and 1 fiction book at a time.

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

If you haven't heard about this book, look it up on wikipedia. And read the critics' reviews on Amazon (Link). Phenomenal writing. Incredible perspective.

Tripwire by Lee Child

Not as good as the first two, but still better than nearly every thriller writer out there.

Game of inches, Peter Morris- Excellent book about how baseball rules were shaped. I am liking this one quite a bit. Really good history of the game.
this is my current on-the-john book. it has 2 volumes. i finished the first one about the "game on the field" and am now working through the "behind the scenes" volume. an amazing amount of research/effort this guy put into it.

I've been reading primarily non-fiction and I want to start getting into fiction again. I'm really looking for crime stories. For a guy that needs to fill $14 to get Free Super Saver Shipping at Amazon, what can you recommend in this category?

TIA
Also looking at mysteries and thrillers too. Thanks.Is this any good?
A couple of people in another thread suggested Shutter Island by D.Lehane. Pretty damn good book - just got done reading it a couple days ago. Would make a great movie too.
Starting tonight based on this review.
Thought the end was great. But based on reviews of Lehane's works, I think I expected more overall. 7/10.Next up: The Keep by Paul F. Wilson
I listened to this on audio a few years ago. Didnt like it at all. The daughter and father interplay was beyond annoying.

almost finished with The Chris Farley Show

a very quick bio of farley compiled by his brother Tom

compiled meaning each chapter is made up of quotes from his friends, castmates, family, and the religious community he was active in

highly recommended even for the casual fan

fast and entertaining.

http://www.jesterjournal.com/ChrisFarleyShow.htm

But it’s really the combination of all the tales of Farley’s wild humor with more little-known stories of his good deeds, helping homeless people and sick children, in part through St. Malachy’s Church in New York -- which also figured in his efforts to battle his own addictions -- that elevate “The Chris Farley Show.” This biography makes the reader feel his humanity and feel for him as he suffers relapses and goes down the wrong paths that end up taking him to his sad fate.

The colleagues in his life who cared for him, quoted at length, with their points of view, give readers the feeling that they are there as these events happen. David Spade, his co-star in “Tommy Boy,” had become less close with Farley for various reasons, exacerbated by a mammoth relapse after Farley had logged about three years sober, and this comes through, as does the fact that Spade still loved him and was concerned for him. Chris Rock offers numerous key insights, notably that Farley’s famed “Chippendales” sketch, while hilarious and classic, contributed to his complexes about only being seen as a fat clown and nothing more.

With “The Chris Farley Show,” readers will really feel the highs and lows of the man’s life, with such a “you are there” feeling to its documenting of the events that the book should go down as primer for sensitive and thoughtful celebrity journalism.

just picked up a book called " the prosecution of George W Bush for Murder" by Vincent Bugliosi. The guy who wrote the famous helter skelter book about the manson family

The Gunslinger - Stephen KingI hope it gets better, because the first book was kind of meh
First book sucked. It gets way better.
Kinda feeling the same way. About 1/2 way through the first book and have been lukewarm to it so far. Does it start getting better right away with book 2??
:lol: I actually enjoyed book 1, but I think it's pretty widely accepted (and I concur) that book 2 is the best book in the series.

Washingtons Crossing

I think based on a recommendation from this thread, regardless, pretty good read so far. Very detailed account of what a group of non-functioning misfits the Continental Army was early on and the man who held it all together.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Bill Bryson's memories of growing up in the Midwest in the 50s and 60s. Like most of Bryson's books, it's an entertaining and very funny read.

Before that, I read Stephen Ambrose's To America -- Personal Reflections on an Historian. His final book, it contains his thoughts on the periods of history he wrote about and insights about his writing.

The Gunslinger - Stephen KingI hope it gets better, because the first book was kind of meh
Kinda feeling the same way. About 1/2 way through the first book and have been lukewarm to it so far. Does it start getting better right away with book 2??
:lmao: I actually enjoyed book 1, but I think it's pretty widely accepted (and I concur) that book 2 is the best book in the series.
Don't know how, but I knew zip about the story or series so I was a little :banned: when he meets the kid from New York in the middle of the desert. Wondering WTF is going on....

:shock: I actually enjoyed book 1, but I think it's pretty widely accepted (and I concur) that book 2 is the best book in the series.
Don't know how, but I knew zip about the story or series so I was a little :goodposting: when he meets the kid from New York in the middle of the desert. Wondering WTF is going on....
I've read the entire series and have started over. (Currently on The Wastelands.) Anyway, I have much more respect for The Gunslinger now after seeing how much foreshadowing there was in it and it was written 20 years before he even knew how he was going to finish the series.Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass are the best. The Dark Tower VII was pretty good as well.

About half way throgh "When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler" by David Glantz. A little brief given the breadth of the topic but given that when it was written it was the first western book to tell the story of WWII from the Russian point of view using primarily Soviet sources released after the cold war it really sheds light on very ignored portion of WWII from a US point of view.

I think it also does a good job of dispelling the belief that the Soviets basically relied on the West to defeat Hitler. The scope and the ferocity of the Eastern front pales in comparison to anything fought in France, North Africa or Italy. One interesting tidbit is that at the invasion of Normandy Germany mustered 60 divisions in France to fight the US and Britain compared to the 150 divisions fighting on the Eastern Front.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Titans-Clashed-...s/dp/0700608990

:yes: I actually enjoyed book 1, but I think it's pretty widely accepted (and I concur) that book 2 is the best book in the series.
Don't know how, but I knew zip about the story or series so I was a little :goodposting: when he meets the kid from New York in the middle of the desert. Wondering WTF is going on....
I've read the entire series and have started over. (Currently on The Wastelands.) Anyway, I have much more respect for The Gunslinger now after seeing how much foreshadowing there was in it and it was written 20 years before he even knew how he was going to finish the series.Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass are the best. The Dark Tower VII was pretty good as well.
Newer editions of The Gunslinger have portions rewritten to make it fit better with the later books. I believe this was done right around when VII was published.Just finished a re-read of George RR Martin's first 4 A Song Of Ice And Fire books. The 5th book still isn't done & it's now looking like a 2009 publishing date.

Next up is World War Z by Max Brooks. I had started this about 3 months ago & stopped about 50 pages in - not because I didn't like it but because I was also reading Martin's books & got tunnel vision.

After that, I've got Dan Simmon's The Terror & Joe Hill's (S King's son) Heart Shaped Box on deck. I'm also toying with tackling King's Dark Tower from beginning to end, which I've never done. From The Wastelands on, I've read them as they were published (with a couple of re-reads of III & IV but not the others).

I'll also bite off a chapter or two of McCullough's 1776 when the mood strikes. For some reason I can easily slide back into this one even after a few weeks.

:yes: I actually enjoyed book 1, but I think it's pretty widely accepted (and I concur) that book 2 is the best book in the series.
Don't know how, but I knew zip about the story or series so I was a little :pokey: when he meets the kid from New York in the middle of the desert. Wondering WTF is going on....
Newer editions of The Gunslinger have portions rewritten to make it fit better with the later books. I believe this was done right around when VII was published.Just finished a re-read of George RR Martin's first 4 A Song Of Ice And Fire books. The 5th book still isn't done & it's now looking like a 2009 publishing date.

Next up is World War Z by Max Brooks. I had started this about 3 months ago & stopped about 50 pages in - not because I didn't like it but because I was also reading Martin's books & got tunnel vision.

After that, I've got Dan Simmon's The Terror & Joe Hill's (S King's son) Heart Shaped Box on deck. I'm also toying with tackling King's Dark Tower from beginning to end, which I've never done. From The Wastelands on, I've read them as they were published (with a couple of re-reads of III & IV but not the others).

I'll also bite off a chapter or two of McCullough's 1776 when the mood strikes. For some reason I can easily slide back into this one even after a few weeks.
You've got a sweet few months of reading ahead of you. Those are all well worth it. The Terror, especially, is one of my favorite novels in recent years.

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris. I think it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. It's different than most anything I've read, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Light reading, humorous, and has heart.

facook said:
Uruk-Hai said:

Don't know how, but I knew zip about the story or series so I was a little :sleep: when he meets the kid from New York in the middle of the desert. Wondering WTF is going on....

You've got a sweet few months of reading ahead of you. Those are all well worth it. The Terror, especially, is one of my favorite novels in recent years.
I really like Dan Simmons so I'm looking forward to getting into The Terror. About the only thing I haven't really liked of his is the Hyperion series. I know it gets lauded in the SciFi threads & the writing is good enough, but the story just didn't do it for me.For Simmons fans, check out Crook Factory. It's atypical for him - not horror or scifi. It's a fictionalized (how much, I don't know) story about Ernest Hemingway's involvement as a spy in WWII. Really, really entertaining.

I just finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which was utterly fantastic, and prior to that, Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, which was great as well . . .

About to tear into Murakami's "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World."
Ooooo, I can't wait to see your update on this one. About a month ago, I finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which easily slid right into my top 10 all-time favorite books. Better than Kafka on the Shore, which I also loved. :mellow:
Just finished the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It was interesting and different but overall disappointing. Im ok with some open endedness but damn.

Recently finished:

Hostile Waters by Peter Huchthausen - excellent true account of an accident involving a soviet nuclear sub of the US coastline. Great read..I consumed it.

A Smile as Big as the Moon by Mike Kersjes - true story of the journey of a special education teacher from Michigan in the 80s who fights to get his special ed students in to Space Camp. A very inspiring story.

currently reading Moon Shot by Alan Shephard and Deke Slayton - the two astronaut's account of America's race to the moon. Very good so far.

I was on vacation last week so I read The Partner and The Last Juror by Grisham and Night Watch by Terry Pratchard. I enjoyed all of them. This was the first Discworld book I have read and while Pratchard wasn't as funny as they made him out to be he is good with words and satire, I did find myself chuckling through some of it.

Just finished "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer last night. It was okay, but could have been a lot better. I'm sure I would have liked it more if I was a teenager or had ovaries. I can certainly see why every chick I know is addicted to this series though. It's basically a teen romance novel with a vampire setting. I may pick up the next book as there is some good stuff in there, you just have to wade thru some occasional teen lovey dovey stuff to get to it.

I read her new unrelated book "The Host" before this one and it was much better and more adult oriented (which is why I was willing to try Twilight out.) An interesting take on the classic invasion of the body snatchers plot.

Starting "Don Quixote" next.

I was on vacation last week so I read The Partner and The Last Juror by Grisham and Night Watch by Terry Pratchard. I enjoyed all of them. This was the first Discworld book I have read and while Pratchard wasn't as funny as they made him out to be he is good with words and satire, I did find myself chuckling through some of it.
I think I liked The Partner more than all the rest of his books. That's the one where the guy absconds with millions from his corrupt law firm and fakes his own death, right? (Hope that's not a spoiler). Lotsa bad apples get their comeuppance in that one.

I think I liked The Partner more than all the rest of his books. That's the one where the guy absconds with millions from his corrupt law firm and fakes his own death, right? (Hope that's not a spoiler). Lotsa bad apples get their comeuppance in that one.
Yes. The Last Juror was good because it was from the point of view of a newspaper guy instead of a lawyer, it was a refreshing change of pace from some of his books. I like the lawyer tales, but it can get boring to read more than one of them in a row.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Meh. I was disappointed. I don't care for Asimov's writing style; I also recently read I, Robot. I'll probably read the other two in the original trilogy eventually. As far as classic sci-fi goes, I really liked The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Recently read his short story collection Virtual Unrealities which was good but not as good as his novel. I'll be reading The Demolished Man soon (winner of the first Hugo award in 1953).

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Enjoyed this.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I thought this was very good, though the last third dragged a little bit after a major plot point, and Leah's sections got pretty preachy.

Hawk Fan said:
Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Meh. I was disappointed. I don't care for Asimov's writing style; I also recently read I, Robot. I'll probably read the other two in the original trilogy eventually. As far as classic sci-fi goes, I really liked The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Recently read his short story collection Virtual Unrealities which was good but not as good as his novel. I'll be reading The Demolished Man soon (winner of the first Hugo award in 1953).

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I thought this was very good, though the last third dragged a little bit after a major plot point, and Leah's sections got pretty preachy.
Huh. You are the first person I've ever heard say that. I thought that (and the others in the Foundation series) book was outstanding. Definitely avoid the others in the series as they are pretty much identical in style and pace. Who are some of your favorite sci-fi writers? Asimov, in my opinion, is better at establishing characters and situations in the openings of his books than anybody else. You feel like you know the world after 50 pages...I always thought that was amazing. I'm not coming down on you for not liking him...just curious to see what you do like. I'm the guy that doesn't like Neil Gaiman, so I get plenty of grief on that one.

Hawk Fan said:

Huh. You are the first person I've ever heard say that. I thought that (and the others in the Foundation series) book was outstanding. Definitely avoid the others in the series as they are pretty much identical in style and pace. Who are some of your favorite sci-fi writers? Asimov, in my opinion, is better at establishing characters and situations in the openings of his books than anybody else. You feel like you know the world after 50 pages...I always thought that was amazing. I'm not coming down on you for not liking him...just curious to see what you do like. I'm the guy that doesn't like Neil Gaiman, so I get plenty of grief on that one.
There is very little characterization. I didn't feel invested in the book and didn't really care what happened. The dialogue only serves to advance the plot. There is no description. The "science" and ideas seem dated, even by 1950s standards. I do like Neil Gaiman. I haven't read much science fiction, but I plan on reading some Heinlein next.

Hawk Fan said:

There is very little characterization. I didn't feel invested in the book and didn't really care what happened. The dialogue only serves to advance the plot. There is no description. The "science" and ideas seem dated, even by 1950s standards. I do like Neil Gaiman. I haven't read much science fiction, but I plan on reading some Heinlein next.
:confused: Different strokes here. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Heinlein. Go with Farnham's Freehold.

Go Hawkeyes!

Users who are viewing this thread