What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (3 Viewers)

Just finished Soon I will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Its a great superhero story in the same vein as Watchmen where it takes a more human look at both the heroes and villans.

Great fun and an easy read.

igbomb said:
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

Excellent book, easily my second favorite I've read this year (behind Lonesome Dove). A lot of you have probably heard of this one since it received a ton of great press, reviews, awards, etc. Others may not because it was marketed as a YA novel in the U.S. Someone gave this one to me a couple of years ago and I finally got around to it. Very unique, very very good.

It's a hard book to describe since the writing style is a little quirky, but I pulled this off of Amazon's site:

Death himself narrates the World War II-era story of Liesel Meminger from the time she is taken, at age nine, to live in Molching, Germany, with a foster family in a working-class neighborhood of tough kids, acid-tongued mothers, and loving fathers who earn their living by the work of their hands. The child arrives having just stolen her first book–although she has not yet learned how to read–and her foster father uses it, The Gravediggers Handbook, to lull her to sleep when shes roused by regular nightmares about her younger brothers death.

Next up: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

This one may take a while since it's a beast of a book.
Dude, Shantaram is outstanding. It may not beat out Lonesome Dove, but I bet you'll put it right up there close to LD for your favorite book you read this year. I was sad when it was over, that's how much I enjoyed it.I'm reading Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and someotherguy right now. End-of-the-world, apocalyptic novel. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 is PRE-catastrophe, and the rest is post-, but it's all good.
I read Shantaram earlier this year and loved it. It is a long book but it is worth it. Great story, you really get involved with the characters and feel as if you are living the guys life as you are reading it.Just began Les Miserables a few days ago. Going to read some of the classics that I have neglected. It is a long read but I am going to get through it.
Finished Shantaram last night. Absolutely phenomenal. This is one of those that I'm going to go out and buy the hardcover edition just to set on my shelf so I can read it five years from now. Hell, I almost started over again at the beginning as soon as I was done. Definitely the best book I've read this year and one of the best I have ever read. The only thing that bothered me in the book were his little philosophical monologues. And even those won me over before the end.

Roberts will probably never write anything to even come close to this again since he involved so much of his own life in it, but as good as this is I don't think he really has anything else to prove.

Read it.
OK, so 7 days ago Shantaram was next. You read that thing in a WEEK? That's some heavy-duty reading. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm with you on it's excellence. Shantaram may be in my top 5 books all time, and as I said it's right up there with Lonesome Dove if not surpassed it.

Currently: Island by Richard Laymon

Next: Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Fantastic. I liked it about as much as Slaughterhouse Five.American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Very good. Currently listening to Anansi Boys audiobook. The reader is really good.
Is that the reader with the heavy South African accent? The old lady's voice was terrible. Chaaaaarrrlie...And then the pseudo-tough guy Spider voice was pretty bad too. Somebody else mentioned loving the vocal talent on this audiobook...but I really disagree. I didn't like the story, and I think a big part of it was because of the hokey voices.Cat's Cradle rocks...I think I liked it more than Slaughterhouse. :fishing: Great book.
I liked the reader. My aunt recommended it, saying she particularly liked the reader. The audiobook was pretty good. The story was conducive to the audiobook format.God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: Kurt Vonnegut. Fantastic.I've never been a comic book guy. Like many others, I was intrigued by the Watchmen preview and just read the book. I really enjoyed it. Currently halfway through The Dark Knight Returns.

Haven't been in here in a while, got some catching up to do. So far in 2008, I've read:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers

Eggers has the mad writing skillz, but he's a little too twentysomething for me, and can be somewhat plodding. They were ok, and in some parts very enjoyable, but I think I'm done with Eggers.

Youth by Joseph Conrad

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

I enjoyed Youth more than HoD. I won't review them since they're classics.

Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman

Really enjoyed this short book. Each chapter is about what the world would be like if time was warped in some way, like much faster or slower. Ex: a world in which a life span lasted about eight hours. Great book to ponder over, which I did after each chapter.

Dreams of My Father by Barrack Obama

Good book about Obama's early life - what shaped his character and how he responded to events. Great insight into the world of a black man and helped me to understand where they're coming from a little better. Also talked quite a bit about what Africa's like, which I found interesting.

Now I'm reading Magister Ludi by Hermann Hesse. After that, I'm re-reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Fantastic. I liked it about as much as Slaughterhouse Five.American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Very good. Currently listening to Anansi Boys audiobook. The reader is really good.
Is that the reader with the heavy South African accent? The old lady's voice was terrible. Chaaaaarrrlie...And then the pseudo-tough guy Spider voice was pretty bad too. Somebody else mentioned loving the vocal talent on this audiobook...but I really disagree. I didn't like the story, and I think a big part of it was because of the hokey voices.Cat's Cradle rocks...I think I liked it more than Slaughterhouse. :yucky: Great book.
I liked the reader. My aunt recommended it, saying she particularly liked the reader. The audiobook was pretty good. The story was conducive to the audiobook format.God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: Kurt Vonnegut. Fantastic.I've never been a comic book guy. Like many others, I was intrigued by the Watchmen preview and just read the book. I really enjoyed it. Currently halfway through The Dark Knight Returns.
Do you ever get to Iowa City for football games? Ever need tickets? PM me as I've been a season ticket holder for years and have extras/interest in meeting fellow Hawkeyes all the time...

just picked up (from the library)...

Jennifer Government - Maxx Barry envisions and satirizes a future America run by corporations. I enjoyed his sendup of corporate life in Company.
Father & Son by Larry Brown. Found through Amazon recs. will report back if good.
Moment of Truth by Marc Nuttle - impulse pick-up in the new book section. Subtitled "How our government's addiction to spending and power will destroy everything that makes America great", which is of course a bit alarmist, but would appear to speak directly to my chief concern about government (the arrogation of power, particularly with the power of the purse)p.s. any fans of Stephen Pollan (Die Broke, Fire Your Boss)?

I just finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which was utterly fantastic, and prior to that, Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, which was great as well . . .

About to tear into Murakami's "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World."
Ooooo, I can't wait to see your update on this one. About a month ago, I finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which easily slid right into my top 10 all-time favorite books. Better than Kafka on the Shore, which I also loved. :confused:
Just finished the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It was interesting and different but overall disappointing. Im ok with some open endedness but damn.
Aw, bummer. Well, I guess it's not for everyone. If you haven't already, you might try Norwegian Wood by the same author. No open-endedness on that one, while still being different and interesting.

I just finished the first 3 books in the Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" Series.

Book 4 comes out tonight (midnight) and I'll be at one of those release parties. I went the Harry Potter release party with my stepson but have my wife to thank for tonights outing. :shrug:

Anyway, all of the books were entertaining easy reads!

just finished

Albert Camus - The Plague: excellent book, very well developed characters,

easy to read but also gives you a lot to think about.

Freaconomics - entertaining read, but I expected a little bit more.

Recently finished The Terror by Dan Simmons & Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

I've always enjoyed Simmons' writing style no matter the subject, so I knew going in I'd like this one & I did. The plot is based on the real-life story of two British ships looking for the Northwest Passage through the Arctic in the 1840s. The ships & crew disappeared. Simmons introduces an element of the supernatural into it & tells the story from several different crew members' POVs. Well-done & I'd recommend it highly.

Joe Hill is Stephen King's son & I wasn't sure what to expect from him. This story is of the kind that his dad used to write (especially his short stories), though not as bloated as King's books could get - it's pretty much a straight horror story. Hill writes well, has good ideas, & has his own voice. This is the story of a rich, retired rock star who collects macabre items. One day he buys a haunted suit off of the internet & away we go. Another I'd recommend.

I'm now 3/4 of the way through a re-read on King & Straub's Black House. I seem to be on a supernatural kick right now.

In the Company of Soldiers by Rick Atkinson

The advent of embedded reporters in the opening days of the 2003 US war on Iraq meant a more direct and personal point of view than battlefield coverage has historically offered. Rick Atkinson, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for An Army at Dawn, an account of combat in North Africa during World War II, traveled with the 101st Airborne Division of the US Army from its deployment out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky through its entry into Baghdad. The result, In the Company of Soldiers, is a thoroughly engrossing look at the strategies, personalities, and struggles of waging modern warfare. Much of Atkinson's focus falls on the division's leader, the hugely competitive and charismatic Major General David Petraeus, who seems to guide his troops through Iraq by sheer force of will. Atkinson devotes most of his time to the senior commanders, but the loss of the G.I. perspective, while disappointing, is outweighed by Atkinson's access to the minds of the brass who must navigate an Iraq whose citizens were not nearly as happy as military planners had hoped and who offered resistance in ways other than what the Americans had prepared for. While plenty has been written about the American military effort in Iraq, Atkinson's perspective, combined with a direct, economical writing style, allows him to present sides to the war not often seen or considered: long periods of waiting punctuated with mad scrambles to apply gas masks, fretting over how to pack all necessary supplies into tiny kits, dealing with dust storms that can ground state of the art attack helicopters, and reading the irreverent yet shrewdly observant graffiti left by American soldiers. In the Company of Soldiers lionizes the American military officers but it neither condemns nor offers unqualified praise to the US effort in Iraq. Indeed, the disturbing omens of chaos hinted at soon after the invasion began in the spring of 2003 would come into sharper relief when the book was published a year later.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a quick, excellent read btw. Atkinson spent his entire time at the hip of Petreaus and gives what I would consider a pretty accurate depicition of the chaos of a war from the top. As is often said, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started Pnin after reading Pale Fire for the third time. Pretty good so far. I've had to suppress laughter several times during my commute.

I read Influence by Cialdini many years ago. The other day I saw an ad in the local paper that a book club was reading this and the meeting was tonight(8-28-08) so I did a quick read/flip through of the book to refresh my memory and went tonight.

I forgot what a ground breaking book that was. Very interesting read.

Until Proven Innocent

"Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case"

I was somewhat fascinated by this whole case when it was happening, and this book has gotten great reviews for being "Brutally honest, unflinching, exhaustively researched and compulsively readable". I am not too far into it but so far, it's excellent.
I'm halfway through it right now. It's not all that suspenseful since I know how everything ends. My main criticism is that the book is too long. I'm halfway through, on about page 200, and already a lot of the same stuff has been repeated several times. The whole book should be about 200 pages. My other criticism is that the authors' political views/biases are evident in the way they phrase things. To compare it to the world of legal writing, it reads more like a brief for one side than like an opinion by a neutral judge. That detracts just a bit from its reliability -- although in this case it's not all that annoying since the side they are on is right, and the side they are arguing against is wrong. Overall, it's a good study of how people's political views can make them very stupid. It also depicts people engaging in one of my major pet peeves: people thinking they are close to 100% certain about something when, not only do they happen to be wrong, but they have no objective reason to be even 50% certain of it. Humans are funny.

I just finished Big Russ and Me by Tim Russert; and I also just finished The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. Didn't intend to read them together but it a nice one two punch. Lots of anecdotes and life lessons in those two gems. Both of them were easy to read and hard to put down.

Can't remember much past a few books ago:

Moscow Rules, Daniel Silva. Highly recommended modern spy thriller writer.

World War Z - SO much better than I anticipated. Really very very good.

Currently reading The Forgery of Venus by Michael Gruber. Pretty entertaining thus far.

Just started Last Train To Memphis by Peter Guralnick. It's the first of a two-volume series about Elvis Presley & covers his life up through 1958 or so. Guralnick has always been one of my favorite writers about music & I've been wanting to get into this one for a while. He cuts through a lot of the mythology that's been built around Elvis & does a great job of bringing 1950s Memphis to life. I believe the 2nd volume is called Careless Love.

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

From The Washington Post

If you're looking for a true story that showcases both American heroism and Afghani humanity, Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 (Little, Brown, $24.99), written with Patrick Robinson, may be the book for you. In June of 2005, Luttrell led a four-man team of Navy SEALs into the mountains of Afghanistan on a mission to kill a Taliban leader thought to be allied with Osama bin Laden. On foot, the team encountered two adult men and a teenage boy. A debate broke out as to whether the SEALs should summarily execute the trio to keep them from alerting the Taliban. Luttrell himself was called upon to make the decision. He was torn between considerations of morality and his survival instinct, and he points out that "any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one. Because nothing's fair in war, and occasionally the wrong people do get killed."

Luttrell opted to spare the Afghanis' lives. About an hour later, the Taliban launched an attack that claimed nearly a hundred of their own men but also the lives of all the SEALs except Luttrell, who was left wounded.

Not long after that, the Taliban shot down an American rescue helicopter, killing all 16 men on board. Luttrell is sure that the three Afghanis he let go turned around and betrayed the SEALs.

But if nothing is fair in war, neither is anything foreordained. Luttrell was found by other Afghanis, one of whom claimed to be his village's doctor. Once again, Luttrell had to rely on his instincts. "There was something about him," Luttrell writes. "By now I'd seen a whole lot of Taliban warriors, and he looked nothing like any of them. There was no arrogance, no hatred in his eyes." Luttrell trusted the man and his colleagues, who took him back to their village, where the law of hospitality -- "strictly nonnegotiable" -- took hold. "They were committed to defend me against the Taliban," Luttrell writes, "until there was no one left alive."

The law held, and Luttrell survived, returned home and received the Navy Cross for combat heroism from President Bush.

I got into the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child a couple of months ago. Great airplane reading.
I'm working on Echo Burning, #5 in the series, right now. You know exactly what you're getting with a Reacher novel, but it hasn't gotten old yet.

Reading from August to now:

Different Seasons by Stephen King -- Really good. There's a reason that three of the four stories have been turned into movies.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer -- Great book. I would definitely recommend this across the board. And as sick as it sounds, this book makes me want to climb Everest.

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum -- Solid, but I'm burnt out on Ludlum. I think I almost prefer the movie.

1491 by Charles C. Mann -- Good, but I think I would have rather read a 30 page essay on the topic than a 300+ page book.

The Nabokov-Wilson Letters

Some of their arguments about the distinctions between English and Russian meter are miles over my head; otherwise, it's a quick read so far and adequately entertaining for this Nabokov junkie.

"The Art of the Novel," Henry James—I'm always interested in reading great writers write about writing. This is pretty good so far, but incredibly dense.
For the record, I have finished 60 pages of this book since May 13. At this pace, I will finish it in the summer of 2010.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer -- Great book. I would definitely recommend this across the board. And as sick as it sounds, this book makes me want to climb Everest.
Very entertaining book. If you read it and loved the story, I highly encourage you to go seek out some of the interviews and writings of the other people on the trip to get their side of the story as well (I think the most famous is a book called "The Climb" or something like that). Krakauer made a lot of people really mad with his account of things.

Very entertaining book. If you read it and loved the story, I highly encourage you to go seek out some of the interviews and writings of the other people on the trip to get their side of the story as well (I think the most famous is a book called "The Climb" or something like that). Krakauer made a lot of people really mad with his account of things.
I haven't read any of the other books, but I did dig around to see what the controversy was about. My take on it was that although there are some disagreements about his account, it seems pretty clear that the tour guides' critical mistake was to not turn around at the cutoff time and to keep driving to the top. Bad, bad move.

I haven't read any of the other books, but I did dig around to see what the controversy was about. My take on it was that although there are some disagreements about his account, it seems pretty clear that the tour guides' critical mistake was to not turn around at the cutoff time and to keep driving to the top. Bad, bad move.
There were lots of bad moves. 8 people dead is a pretty big mistake...and you have to put those mistakes on the tour guides as it is their job to make sure that doesn't happen. That's not the problem that people have with Krakauer. He really criticized the tour companies and blamed their greed for the disaster (while not detailing or even mentioning how freakish the weather was and what a fluke a number of the things that went wrong were). He also commented and gave accounts of a number of things that he wasn't present for and had no knowledge of (particularly the Japanese meeting up with the Indians). The general consensus of all the other accounts (and there are a bunch of books/videos/etc) was that Krakauer was a jerk in the book and made himself a hero when all he did was sit around. I don't know. I think everybody is bitter and Krakauer got a lot of heat because he made a bunch of money off of the whole thing. Did he 'make things up' and sensationalize his own account? I'm sure he did. But that's what anybody would do if they were writing that story. No matter how you look at it...the book is a really good read and the whole story is amazing.

There were lots of bad moves. 8 people dead is a pretty big mistake...and you have to put those mistakes on the tour guides as it is their job to make sure that doesn't happen. That's not the problem that people have with Krakauer. He really criticized the tour companies and blamed their greed for the disaster (while not detailing or even mentioning how freakish the weather was and what a fluke a number of the things that went wrong were). He also commented and gave accounts of a number of things that he wasn't present for and had no knowledge of (particularly the Japanese meeting up with the Indians). The general consensus of all the other accounts (and there are a bunch of books/videos/etc) was that Krakauer was a jerk in the book and made himself a hero when all he did was sit around. I don't know. I think everybody is bitter and Krakauer got a lot of heat because he made a bunch of money off of the whole thing. Did he 'make things up' and sensationalize his own account? I'm sure he did. But that's what anybody would do if they were writing that story. No matter how you look at it...the book is a really good read and the whole story is amazing.
See I don't get the whole 'made himself a hero' thing. While I can't speak to what was truth or fiction, I think he was pretty forthright that he a) didn't really do anything to help the situation and b) his mistaken identity snafu may have cost a man his life.

went to a book festival this weekend, and picked up two books...

My Cousin the Saint - by Justin Catanoso. 2nd-generation Italian-American discovers that a relative is on track for sainthood, and it leads him to rediscover his roots and his faith. Catanoso spoke at the festival and tells a great story.

The Perfect Game - in 1957, a Little Leage baseball team of poor Mexicans improbably becomes the first non-American team to win the LLWS. Will also be a movie next spring. The local priest, the inspiration and initiator of the team, will be portrayed by Cheech Marin.

Recently read

Black Wave: A Family's Adventure at Sea and the Disaster That Saved Them by Jean and John Silverwood

Currently on a Graphic Novel kick (is there a thread devoted to this?)

Read in the last few weeks:

Y:The Last Man (on 4 of 10) and would be done if the library had more copies to circulate.

Dark Knight Returns

Identity Crisis

Freaks of the Heatland

All Star Superman Vol 1.

About to read:

Sandman 1: Preludes and Noctures

Ex Machina Vol 1: The First 100 Days

DMZ Vol 1: On the Ground

Pride of Baghdad

Been on a Ted Dekker/ Frank Peretti kick lately, because they're pretty much all I have in the house. I do enjoy reading The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, by Tolkien

Currently reading "Memories of Ice" by Scott Erikson- Book 3 of The Malazan Empire Series. If you of a fan of epic fantasy these books are excellent.

Just finished John Adams by David McCullough and started The River of Doubt by Candice Millard

I just finished rereading the Wheel of Time series books 1-11. I understand why people that start this series kinda fizzle out on books 4-6, but I thought 7-9 were decent, while in 10 nothing at all was resolved. Book 11 started to tie up some loose threads, and I thought it was well done. It started to put some things together, but there is a lot to tie up in the last book still.

Currently reading Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover. I like his radio show, although I'm not 100% convinced that his plan is practical for everyone at every stage of their life. That being said, it's good advice that if followed, should only be good for the people following it.

I pulled down Infinite Jest from the shelf the other day for a re-read. I'm going to miss David Foster Wallace immensely.

Just finished The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. A highly enjoyable and engrossing read- I definitely recommend it. The story is set around a family who raises and trains their own fictional breed of dogs in Central Wisconsin. It's loosely based on Hamlet, but there are lots of elements of other Greek and Shakespearian tragedies.

Although he's surely not the definitive voice of literary reviews, I found Stephen King's review to be interesting.

"I flat-out loved The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Dog-lovers in particular will be riveted by this story, because the canine world has never been explored with such imagination or emotional resonance. Yet in the end, this isn't a novel about dogs or heartland America — although it is a deeply American work of literature. It's a novel about the human heart, and the mysteries that live there, understood but impossible to articulate. Yet in the person of Edgar Sawtelle, a mute boy who takes three of his dogs on a brave and dangerous odyssey, Wroblewski does articulate them, and splendidly. I closed the book with that regret readers feel only after experiencing the best stories: It's over, you think, and I won't read another one this good for a long, long time.

In truth, there has never been a book quite like The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I thought of Hamlet when I was reading it (of course... and in this version, Ophelia turns out to be a dog named Almondine), and Watership Down, and The Night of the Hunter, and The Life of Pi — but halfway through, I put all comparisons aside and let it just be itself.

I'm pretty sure this book is going to be a bestseller, but unlike some, it deserves to be. It's also going to be the subject of a great many reading groups, and when the members take up Edgar, I think they will be apt to stick to the book and forget the neighborhood gossip.

Wonderful, mysterious, long and satisfying: readers who pick up this novel are going to enter a richer world. I envy them the trip. I don't reread many books, because life is too short. I will be rereading this one."

— Stephen King, author of Duma Key
Here is a link to some more reviews and a link to an excerpt from the book.Reviews

Excerpt from the book
Just read that this will be the new main selection for Oprah's book club. I don't know what that means in the larger scope. I don't know that I've ever read a book that she had in her book club. But I still thought it was a very good read.

Just finished The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. A highly enjoyable and engrossing read- I definitely recommend it. The story is set around a family who raises and trains their own fictional breed of dogs in Central Wisconsin. It's loosely based on Hamlet, but there are lots of elements of other Greek and Shakespearian tragedies.

Although he's surely not the definitive voice of literary reviews, I found Stephen King's review to be interesting.

"I flat-out loved The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Dog-lovers in particular will be riveted by this story, because the canine world has never been explored with such imagination or emotional resonance. Yet in the end, this isn't a novel about dogs or heartland America — although it is a deeply American work of literature. It's a novel about the human heart, and the mysteries that live there, understood but impossible to articulate. Yet in the person of Edgar Sawtelle, a mute boy who takes three of his dogs on a brave and dangerous odyssey, Wroblewski does articulate them, and splendidly. I closed the book with that regret readers feel only after experiencing the best stories: It's over, you think, and I won't read another one this good for a long, long time.

In truth, there has never been a book quite like The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I thought of Hamlet when I was reading it (of course... and in this version, Ophelia turns out to be a dog named Almondine), and Watership Down, and The Night of the Hunter, and The Life of Pi — but halfway through, I put all comparisons aside and let it just be itself.

I'm pretty sure this book is going to be a bestseller, but unlike some, it deserves to be. It's also going to be the subject of a great many reading groups, and when the members take up Edgar, I think they will be apt to stick to the book and forget the neighborhood gossip.

Wonderful, mysterious, long and satisfying: readers who pick up this novel are going to enter a richer world. I envy them the trip. I don't reread many books, because life is too short. I will be rereading this one."

Here is a link to some more reviews and a link to an excerpt from the book.Reviews

Excerpt from the book
Just read that this will be the new main selection for Oprah's book club. I don't know what that means in the larger scope. I don't know that I've ever read a book that she had in her book club. But I still thought it was a very good read.
While Oprah picking a book shouldn't make you run out and pick up the book, it's also not a reason to avoid a book. After all, she did pick the Pulitzer Prize winning The Road by Cormac McCarthy, a great book that's about to come out in the theaters.I've got Wroblewski's book next on my pile to read and am looking forward to it.

Excerpt from the book
While Oprah picking a book shouldn't make you run out and pick up the book, it's also not a reason to avoid a book. After all, she did pick the Pulitzer Prize winning The Road by Cormac McCarthy, a great book that's about to come out in the theaters.I've got Wroblewski's book next on my pile to read and am looking forward to it.
she also picked steinbecks of east of eden

Just finished "The Unbearable Lightness of Being." Great book. Beautifully done, and some real interesting perspective for a guy like me who can really relate to the main character...

I pulled down Infinite Jest from the shelf the other day for a re-read. I'm going to miss David Foster Wallace immensely.
Was planning a re-read as well but couldn't find my copy, so I went to Borders to pick one up. Huge space in the Ws where this would have been. Went to two other bookstores--no luck. Clearly a lot of people have decided to try this book again after his death. I'm still horribly sad about this.

ETA: I haven't felt like reading anything else challenging lately. Read Night Train by Martin Amis--very good--and just finished Train by Pete Dexter, which I'd definitely recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread