What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (3 Viewers)

Last Read: The Highest Tide - Jim Lynch - Decent coming of age story, quick, but nothing spectacular

Recently re-read: Da Vinci Code - Better the 2nd time

Next up: Turning Angel - Greg Iles - Wife loved it

Adding to my list based on recommendations here:

Cloud Atlas, Curious Incident..., and An Instance of the Fingerpost

THANKS!

Norell and Jonathan Strange currently, which is enjoyable so far. Finished Koba the Dread by Martin Amis, which was excellent. I adore Amis to begin with but this was a neat, if depressing, read.

Consider the Lobster

Latest by DFW. As usual, very interesting and smart. Essays ranging from his experience covering the Adult Video News awards to following the McCain campaign to language evolution to 9/11 in a small town. If you love multi page footnotes you won't be disappointed here.

I've been in the middle of a flurry of Ken Follett novels lately.

Whiteout

A Dangerous Fortune

Lie Down with Lions

Hornets Nest

Night over Water

Paper Money

On Wings of Eagles

The Hammer of Eden

Jackdaws

Code to Zero

Currently reading Triple.

All very good books. I would recomend Pillars and Dangerous Fortune as the best..

I still have Key to Rebecca and the Man from St. Petersburg in the queue

Whiteout

A Dangerous Fortune

Lie Down with Lions

Hornets Nest

Night over Water

Paper Money

On Wings of Eagles

The Hammer of Eden

Jackdaws

Code to Zero

All very good books. I would recomend Pillars and Dangerous Fortune as the best..

I've only read two of his so far. Whiteout was good, and Pillars of the Earth was fantastic. Of course, people should know that Pillars of the Earth is very different than anything else he writes. I've got Code to Zero on loan from a friend. How was it?BTW, World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, comes out in 2007.

Whiteout

A Dangerous Fortune

Lie Down with Lions

Hornets Nest

Night over Water

Paper Money

On Wings of Eagles

The Hammer of Eden

Jackdaws

Code to Zero

I've only read two of his so far. Whiteout was good, and Pillars of the Earth was fantastic. Of course, people should know that Pillars of the Earth is very different than anything else he writes. I've got Code to Zero on loan from a friend. How was it?BTW, World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, comes out in 2007.
Code to Zero was pretty god, similar to his other Spy Novels with great character depth and plot development.If you liked Pillars, Then Dangerous Fortune should definately go on your list also...

....nd I am very much looking forward to World without End!

BTW, World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, comes out in 2007.
I did not know this. This is great news.Currently on Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter

BTW, World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, comes out in 2007.
I did not know this. This is great news.Currently on Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter
Yep, it's going to be the descendants of the previous book, still at Kingsbridge, but during the Black Plague. Good premise.

Whiteout

A Dangerous Fortune

Lie Down with Lions

Hornets Nest

Night over Water

Paper Money

On Wings of Eagles

The Hammer of Eden

Jackdaws

Code to Zero

Don't see "Eye of the Needle" listed there. If you haven't read it, it's a Follet must. Right up there with "Pillars" as my 2 favorite Follet novels.

Reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. Good so far as I've really enjoyed the books of his I've read in the past. Just as wacky as the others as well and has his typical colorful use of language.

Reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. Good so far as I've really enjoyed the books of his I've read in the past. Just as wacky as the others as well and has his typical colorful use of language.
:thumbup: That was the first book I read by him. It got me hooked and I quickly read his others.

I'm probably way behind the times, but I recently finished reading DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Great books. Are his other books also worth reading?

I'm probably way behind the times, but I recently finished reading DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Great books. Are his other books also worth reading?
Digital Fortress is :mellow: And Deception Point is a combo of :mellow: :thumbup:

Both are a step down from the two you have read.

Whiteout

A Dangerous Fortune

Lie Down with Lions

Hornets Nest

Night over Water

Paper Money

On Wings of Eagles

The Hammer of Eden

Jackdaws

Code to Zero

Don't see "Eye of the Needle" listed there. If you haven't read it, it's a Follet must. Right up there with "Pillars" as my 2 favorite Follet novels.
Thats, I've got "Eye of the Needle" at home, and I'll read it next.BTW, a good way to buy books is in large lots on eBay. I bought the almost the entire Follett collection in paperback (16 books) for about 25 bucks + shipping.

I'm tempted to put together a thread for rating books that the FFA has read. If I did it, I'd probably keep an updated top 100 list at the top. If it really took off, I would include more bells and whistles like top books by genre, or posters top ten lists. I'd also try to include a link for each book to a review by Publishers Weekly, or maybe it's Amazon page.

Maybe I'm thinking too ambitious, but it would help me to track recommendations as well as popular books in the FFA. There are a few book discussion sites out there, but they all seem to be low traffic.

Thoughts?

I'm tempted to put together a thread for rating books that the FFA has read. If I did it, I'd probably keep an updated top 100 list at the top. If it really took off, I would include more bells and whistles like top books by genre, or posters top ten lists. I'd also try to include a link for each book to a review by Publishers Weekly, or maybe it's Amazon page.

Maybe I'm thinking too ambitious, but it would help me to track recommendations as well as popular books in the FFA. There are a few book discussion sites out there, but they all seem to be low traffic.

Thoughts?
Do it up.

Milan Kundera must make this list.

Immortality (his best work imo)

Unbearable Lightness of Being (might be my favorite ever book, if not for the fact that Immortality was somehow even better)

Current queue:

The Beach - Alex Garland

Everything's Eventual - Stephen King

Deliverance - James Dickey

Bagombo Snuff Box - Kurt Vonnegut

Angry Candy - Harlan Ellison

Mystery Walk - Robert R. McCammon

Dune - Frank Herbert

Best of Cemetary Dance - anthology Richard Chizmar ed

Great and Secret Show - Clive Barker

Friday Night Lights - HG Bissinger

Nausea - Jean-Paul Sarte

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
This is my favorite John Irving book. I think I remember that the critics hated it when it came out. I think it's as good as The World According to Garp, and I liked the story more.
Huge Irving fan here, but Owen Meany was my least favorite. All the similarities to Christ were too easy, IMO.
It's not like that was a puzzle to figure out. He could have put big, boldface print on the cover page saying "OWEN MEANY IS A CHRIST FIGURE" and it woudn't have changed anything about the book.

No.

Just finished Harry Turtledove's "Drive to the East," which I believe is the last book he's completed in the series. He's becoming unbearably repetitious but I'm hooked on the damn story line.

One more to go.

Current queue:

The Beach  - Alex Garland

Everything's Eventual  - Stephen King

Deliverance  - James Dickey

Bagombo Snuff Box  - Kurt Vonnegut

Angry Candy  - Harlan Ellison

Mystery Walk  - Robert R. McCammon

Dune  - Frank Herbert

Best of Cemetary Dance  - anthology Richard Chizmar ed

Great and Secret Show  - Clive Barker

Friday Night Lights  - HG Bissinger

Nausea  - Jean-Paul Sarte

A Prayer for Owen Meany  - John Irving
This is my favorite John Irving book. I think I remember that the critics hated it when it came out. I think it's as good as The World According to Garp, and I liked the story more.
Huge Irving fan here, but Owen Meany was my least favorite. All the similarities to Christ were too easy, IMO.
It's not like that was a puzzle to figure out. He could have put big, boldface print on the cover page saying "OWEN MEANY IS A CHRIST FIGURE" and it woudn't have changed anything about the book.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I didn't mean it that way. I meant it was too easy for him to write. It was just a silly premise, IMO.

I came into work this morning and found that someone had left me an advance copy of Alex Berenson's upcoming novel, The Faithful Spy.

:thumbup:

Co-workers who have already read it were raving about it over drinks the other day...should be a good one!

Last edited by a moderator:
So you wouldn't even recommend it at 138 pages? (Crying of Lot 49)
Finished. Since there are others on this board who are fans, all I'll say is, it wasn't my cup of tea. I got absolutely nothing from the book. I will never read Pynchon again.

Finished. Since there are others on this board who are fans, all I'll say is, it wasn't my cup of tea. I got absolutely nothing from the book. I will never read Pynchon again.
On that note, I just ordered Gravity's Rainbow (was trying to adhere to the Book Draft as a reading list, but the opinion on CoL49 nudged me to a different book. I am, however, racing through Lonesome Dove - great book), The Sot-Weed Factor and Pale Fire.

On that note, I just ordered Gravity's Rainbow (was trying to adhere to the Book Draft as a reading list, but the opinion on CoL49 nudged me to a different book. I am, however, racing through Lonesome Dove - great book), The Sot-Weed Factor and Pale Fire.
Guess I'm going to have to pick up Lonesome Dove, with all the good reviews...

FYI, it is book 3 in a series. I usually start from the beginning, but wasn't sure I wanted to plow through 2 books to get to LD. Hopefully starting with 3 and then going 1, 2 won't be a spoiler-fest.

In case some posters didn't see it, I'm working on a top 100 list in this thread.

Once the list gets established, I plan on expanding it to top books by genre, as well as top books published in the last 25 years.

Reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins.  Good so far as I've really enjoyed the books of his I've read in the past.  Just as wacky as the others as well and has his typical colorful use of language.
:thumbup: That was the first book I read by him. It got me hooked and I quickly read his others.
I read "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas" and "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" first based on recommendations a couple of years ago on this board. I know Joe Bryant recommended one of them and someone else recommended the other. I'm really enjoying Jitterbug Perfume thus far but I'm not all that far into it. I've had too many home projects lately to be able to sit down and read much. He's about as good as it gets as far as colorful use of the English language.

FYI, it is book 3 in a series. I usually start from the beginning, but wasn't sure I wanted to plow through 2 books to get to LD. Hopefully starting with 3 and then going 1, 2 won't be a spoiler-fest.
I read LD first, and found that it was my favorite of the series. I don't recall being disappointed in reading the others in the series, though. You're definitely starting with the best.

Currently reading Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson

Biographies normally sit low on my list reading only 1-2 per year, but this one deserves attention. Isaacson mixes in enough early US history to make it more than just a biography. Franklin was truly a talented man showing a deft touch at everything from science to women.

Lonesome Dove :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am reading "The Fifties" by David Halberstam. I love most of Halberstam's work — particularly the non-sports stuff.

Woo hoo! A co-worker just handed me copies of David Mitchell's first two books, Number9Dream and Ghostwritten. The weather absolutely sucks this week, so I'll be holed up with my books until it stops snowing and blowing.

:thumbup:

Just finished Doctor Dealer by Mark Bowden.

Currently reading I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max & as bathroom material I have Next Man Up by John Feinstein
Just finised I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. That's an...interesting read.

Just finished Al Franken's Truth. Boy, that gets this life-long Republican thinkin' differently. I've always enjoyed Franken. This is a very interesting read.

Currently reading Justice in the Grass, which covers some of the trials following the genocide in Rwanda.

I'm currently reading "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!"

Great read.
Yep. That's a good one. The Brazilian Carnival parade beating on the skillets... :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished reading A Briefer History of Time It's a shortened, much easier to read version of Assimov's original Brief History of Time. Great read for science buffs.

Also read The First American- Benjamin Franklin Great read. Good insight into the life and times

Best read so far this year 1776 It takes a look from both sides of the pond. Very informative.

Best read of 2005 was some book involving complex ratios for analyzing future prospects. Someone called it V.B.D.

Just finished reading A Briefer History of Time It's a shortened, much easier to read version of Assimov's original Brief History of Time. Great read for science buffs.
I liked Hawking's version better, myself.

Operation Anaconda: Not a Good Day to Die

Masters of Chaos

The Doris Kearns Goodwin book on Lincoln is on the on-deck circle!

Just got done with Carrie - Stephen King...good stuff and a short read. Moving on to the Green Mile.

Users who are viewing this thread