What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (6 Viewers)

Just finished A Game of Thrones. George R. R. Martin.

Excellent political intrigue and characters. Loved it. Reading A Clash of Kings now. Not sure about this one yet. Seems a little bit more "magical" and I don't dig that as much.

Alexander Hamilton by Chernow. I was really amazed at how much I didn't know about the guy. I'm more impressed by Hamilton at each page.

Just finished reading The Relic

I give it a :thumbup: now.. But had you asked me this question at the beginning. :sleep: They go into so many fine details that at points I found myself skipping paragraphs..

But once Opening night hit all action and fun. :popcorn:

Memories Of Ice - Steven Erikson

vol. 3 of the malazan books.  LOVING  this book so far.  way better than the first 2.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:
the Leonardo DiCaprio movie?????
Did you mean to respond to this:
The Beach - Alex Garland

Pretty good so far.
If so, yes.If not, carry on.
yes.
Five question marks?
Eh?
Why five?
feel free to guess

Memories Of Ice - Steven Erikson

vol. 3 of the malazan books.  LOVING  this book so far.  way better than the first 2.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:
The Beach - Alex Garland

Pretty good so far.
If so, yes.If not, carry on.
yes.
Five question marks?
Eh?
Why five?
feel free to guess
Seriously, don't furley up this thread with your shtick. To me, 5 question marks expresses disbelief or surprise. I was just curious if that's what you were implying.

Memories Of Ice - Steven Eriksonvol. 3 of the malazan books.  LOVING  this book so far.  way better than the first 2.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

The Beach - Alex GarlandPretty good so far.
If so, yes.

If not, carry on.
yes.
Five question marks?
Eh?
Why five?
feel free to guess
Seriously, don't furley up this thread with your shtick. To me, 5 question marks expresses disbelief or surprise. I was just curious if that's what you were implying.
:lmao:

I give it a :thumbup: now.. But had you asked me this question at the beginning. :sleep: They go into so many fine details that at points I found myself skipping paragraphs..

The follow up book Reliquary was pretty good also.

The follow up book Reliquary was pretty good also.
Plan to read that next after I get through this next one on my waiting list:Seven Deadly Wonders.. Pure :popcorn: summer time reading :thumbup:

The team pits itself in a race against the formidable forces of the western world, cosmic calendar, and traps set by ancient-wonder-hider, Imhotep V. Complete with Mario-Brothers-style drawings, the book lurches from one great escape/victory/defeat until its final climax atop Cheops' Pyramid. It's a thrilling ride, perfect to enliven a lazy vacation or long plane ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction in 1981. Interesting read with a slew of deranged characters. Too bad the author commited suicide before it was published :o

great thread

If you're a Stephen King fan and you're not afraid of a challenge (1000+ pages) try IT. I thought it really tapped into the terror you feel as a kid when the boogey man is under your bed.

Friday Night Lights is a must for any football fan

King's Dark Tower series should be read after reading plenty of other King novels so you can enjoy and understand some of the references.

I just finished reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It tells the true story of Dr. H.H. Holmes (America's first serial killer) and the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. I was absolutely blown away by this book! I just didn't know any of this part of Chicago/America's history. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

here's a link

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/devilinth...ecity/home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
great thread

If you're a Stephen King fan and you're not afraid of a challenge (1000+ pages) try IT. I thought it really tapped into the terror you feel as a kid when the boogey man is under your bed.

Friday Night Lights is a must for any football fan

King's Dark Tower series should be read after reading plenty of other King novels so you can enjoy and understand some of the references.

I just finished reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It tells the true story of Dr. H.H. Holmes (America's first serial killer) and the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. I was absolutely blown away by this book! I just didn't know any of this part of Chicago/America's history. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

here's a link

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/devilinth...ecity/home.html
IT is good, but IMO his best work by miles is The Stand

For Civil War fans

Non-fiction - Stephen Sears has several - Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Landscape turned red

Fictional-history

Bernard Cornwell - The Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles

Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction in 1981. Interesting read with a slew of deranged characters. Too bad the author commited suicide before it was published :o
Growing up in New Orleans makes this book really come to life. Most of his characters had to be based off actually Quarter citizens. Funny book, wild at times..

Judas Unchained, the sequel to Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton.

Just started Unchained, but Pandora's Star laid the groundwork for what should be an interesting sequel. But we'll see. His previous series' deus ex machina ending pretty much sucked the life out of a decent story, if way overly long.

Hundred pages into Orhan Pamuks: The Black Book

Got it as a christmass gift and was skeptical that I would like it. But so fare much better then expected.
I am finaly through with it. One of the thoughest to understand books I ever read. Nothing to read when you are not concentrated.The book is very interestingly structured: a guy is searching for his wife and here brother who are missing. The brother is journalist and has a daily column in a newspaper. After a chapter that describes the search for the wife and brother there always follows a chapter that is one of the brothers columns that deals with a theme that has happened during the search chapter or gives a hint where the husband can look next. These columns are very complex and philosophical, they deal with turkish history, have sideshots on politics and the differences between east and west, and they often bring Istanbul into the focus by describing it and its people.

Allthough I have some knowledge of the turkish culture, I was sometime lost and didn´t get everything that was talked about.

Nonetheless a very good and complex book, that can bring a lot of fun reading if you take the time, patience and interest in Turkey and philosophical reflection.

Just finished "Don't Get Too Comfortable" by David Rakoff — (I give it a 7/10)

Tonight I start "Consider the Lobster and Other Essays" by David Foster Wallace

about halfway through "The DaVinci Code".

fairly good read.. moves along very quickly... absolutely see how this book was written to be made in to a movie.

I am reading "The Draft: A Year inside the NFL's Search for Talent"

It tells about how teams scout players, prepare for the draft and how agents work to improve their clients stock, and other nuances of the draft. It follows the players Chris Canty, Fred Gibson and Ray Willis as they prepare for the draft; also it takes a close look at Al Groh the head coach at Virginia.

It is an interesting book for people wanting to know more about the draft process.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell
what do you think of this? are you far along? i picked it up some time ago with high hopes. i like it but i can't devote enough time to making any headway. i find myself bouncing between new yorker issues and manchester's a world only lit by fire...

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell
what do you think of this? are you far along? i picked it up some time ago with high hopes. i like it but i can't devote enough time to making any headway. i find myself bouncing between new yorker issues and manchester's a world only lit by fire...
I liked it a lot. Thought it was a good blend of genres and fairly well written.

Rereading "Learning the World" by Ken MacLeod

Intersting 1st contact novel

Been meaning to sit down with Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness for awhile but think I need a few hours without distractions for that one

The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki

Tips and strategies for starting your own business. Technology and physical products are definitely the focus here but Guy provides insight into any new business. As with most it's a very fast read packed with bullet points and random quotes.

Users who are viewing this thread