What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (6 Viewers)

Last night I finished Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind - my wife has been bugging me to read the series so that is book one. It was pretty good too.
Started reading this series after I got hooked on the tv show "Legend of the Seeker" that is based on these books. 1st one was okay, I think I would have liked it better had I not seen the 1st season of the show and already knew most of the plot. The 2nd book was outstanding and the 3rd was a decent followup if a bit short and abruptly ended. Look forward to reading the rest.For a fantasy/adventure series, I'm surprised how grown up the books are. Goodkind doesn't pull his punches in the descriptions of battles or sex. In the 2nd book there is a whole chapter devoted to the discovery of the aftermath of a city that fell to a siege. Decapitated bodies everywhere, women raped, some disturbing imagery.
Absolutely loving the Sword of Truth series, 4-6 were outstanding. Have blown thru 7 & 8 now too which were a little different but still quite good. Having to force myself to slow down as I only have a few books left before I'm done. Great books, but mostly I love the characters.

Thoroughly enjoyed Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart. VERY clever prose throughout and funny as hell.

Just started reading Swann's Way by Proust. This one is quite a bit deeper... I've been curious about Proust and his Remembrance of Things Past since reading about how much Kerouac was a fan. I don't know if I'll read all 7 volumes though. At 1.5 million words it's one of the longest novels ever written. I thought War and Peace was tough. It's nothing compared to this.

For those that have read both, do you prefer the George RR Martin "Song of Fire and Ice" or the Goodkind "Sword of Truth" series? I'm looking to start one or the other in the near future. Haven't read an adult fantasy series since LOTR many years ago, though I recently got through the Harry Potter kids books.

I'm onto "Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson. This was hyped up pretty good 6 or 7 years ago. I always wanted to check it out, but just now am finally getting around to it.

It's a non-fiction work that follows two men - one, the main architect of Chicago's "White City" for the 1893 World's Fair and the other a serial killer who offed somewhere between 20 & 200 people in Chicago during the same time period. I'm only about 10% in, but it's apparent Larson did his homework. It actually reads like a work of fiction with the exception that there's no real dialogue between characters - in it's place are quotes from newspapers, official documents, memoirs, etc...
Loved this book.
Me too. Lots of interesting little details about Chicago and various people (e.g., Disney).
I'm about 1/3 through & it's growing on me all the time. Not that the beginning is bad or anything - as I said above, the narration/dialogue ratio is out of whack compared to what I'm used to and I think it just took me a bit to get used to the flow.Anyway, things are heating up now. The buildings are starting to go up, with all of the problems inherent in the construction. I have maybe a little more interest in the construction part of the story as that's my profession (it's amazing that some of the techniques used 120 years ago are used today to determine soil capacities :stirspot: ), but it's not pages of dry text & I think is written with the layperson in mind.

As for Holmes - I don't recall ever hearing about this nutball before and I wonder why. He's a first-rate sicko. He also has balls the size of Texas.
Wrapped this one up last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyone interested in history, architecture, serial killers, and just about anything else should enjoy it. It is absolutely amazing to me how many people became - or went onto become - famous precisely because of the 1893 Fair. Chance meetings really did change the world and the fact that there were so many over the course of just a few months in one location blows my mind. This Fair was a huge launching point for 20th century America. There are also some LOL moments in the book, as when architects were submitting ideas trying to find a way for America to "out-Eiffel Eiffel" (who had built his tower for the WF 4 years previous). One guy wanted to build a really high tower and have tracks extending from the top of it to some of the major cities in the East so Fair goers from, say, New York could "toboggan" home from the Fair. The architect finally chosen to rival Eiffel was a man from Pittsburgh named George Ferris, who unveiled his great invention at the Chicago WF.

For those that have read both, do you prefer the George RR Martin "Song of Fire and Ice" or the Goodkind "Sword of Truth" series? I'm looking to start one or the other in the near future. Haven't read an adult fantasy series since LOTR many years ago, though I recently got through the Harry Potter kids books.
Martin is on a whole different level than Goodkind. Though you'll never find universal agreement, Martin is far and away the acknowledged best epic fantasy author today.

Just finished 'Brains: A Zombie's Memoir'. Main character is an English professor turned zombie who maintains cognizance and has the ability to write. Story deals with him struggling with his identity, future, and of course his hunger for brains. Along his journey he teams up with other zombies how have maintained some sort of skill and limited self-awareness. Pretty good zombie book that you can blow through in a couple of days.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through "So Brave, Young, and Handsome" by Leif Enger (who wrote "Peace Like A River"). Man, this guy writes beautifully. There's not a word that's out of place, the characters are distinct, and the plot is fun. It's a short book (around 300 pp) with short chapters (2-3 pages each) so the book really moves along. I don't know how to describe the story accurately: part western, part fable, part journey for redemption/discovery/etc...

If you liked "Peace"'s style, you'll like this one too.

Thoroughly enjoyed Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart. VERY clever prose throughout and funny as hell.

Just started reading Swann's Way by Proust. This one is quite a bit deeper... I've been curious about Proust and his Remembrance of Things Past since reading about how much Kerouac was a fan. I don't know if I'll read all 7 volumes though. At 1.5 million words it's one of the longest novels ever written. I thought War and Peace was tough. It's nothing compared to this.
I just finished Swann's Way about a month ago and I still sit and marvel at how satisfying it was. Easily in my Top 5. It's a slow burn at the outset but really hits its stride over the last few hundred pages. Really brilliant, beautiful stuff on multiple levels. I'm taking a break and reading some other things before starting Within a Budding Grove. I'd also recommend Nabokov's lecture on the In Search of Lost Time series as a nice companion piece.

I just finished Swann's Way about a month ago and I still sit and marvel at how satisfying it was. Easily in my Top 5. It's a slow burn at the outset but really hits its stride over the last few hundred pages. Really brilliant, beautiful stuff on multiple levels. I'm taking a break and reading some other things before starting Within a Budding Grove. I'd also recommend Nabokov's lecture on the In Search of Lost Time series as a nice companion piece.
I'm enjoying it so far through the first 100 pages. It is obviously a brilliant work and written in a very intimate style. I'm not especially crazy about the long, run-on paragraphs but I guess he was a stream of consciousness kind of guy. I find myself rereading several passages before the impression he's trying to convey hits me. Proust most definitely understands human nature. Reminds me a lot of Dostoyevsky.

Martin is on a whole different level than Goodkind. Though you'll never find universal agreement, Martin is far and away the acknowledged best epic fantasy author today.
I'm only one book into "Song of Fire & Ice" but I love both from what I've read so far. Very different kinds of books to me though, "Sword of Truth" I think is more accessible and has a lot more "traditional" type fantasy elements (adventurous journeys, magic, etc.) while Martin has much more intricate plots and political intrigue set in a medieval/fantasy setting.

I'm only one book into "Song of Fire & Ice" but I love both from what I've read so far. Very different kinds of books to me though, "Sword of Truth" I think is more accessible and has a lot more "traditional" type fantasy elements (adventurous journeys, magic, etc.) while Martin has much more intricate plots and political intrigue set in a medieval/fantasy setting.
I read the first Goodkind book years ago and thought it was decent, though I've since read a little about where the series goes and how big of a jagoff Goodkind is, completely souring me on ever reading anything of his again.

The last 5 books I read:

The Last Theorem - decent

The Overton Window - eh, decent

Dune - pretty good, will read the second book later

61 Hours - good, like the rest of them.

Pursuit of Honor - Mitch Rapp is awesome. Need Vince Flynn to release a lot more of these books.

BTW: Finished "What the dead know" and "Brass Verdict" and both were good, but nothing great. Entertaining for sure.

Was looking for new options and wished I could somehow access a list that combined those books that were nominated or won awards in various categories, and rank them according to how well they've been received.

So forgive me if this has been posted in here already, and if someone doesn't like it for a particular reason, let me know, but it seems to be just what I was looking for:

http://www.awardannals.com/wiki/Main_Page

Sorta helps me get a highlight list of some of the best books that may have slipped by me in years gone by.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through "So Brave, Young, and Handsome" by Leif Enger (who wrote "Peace Like A River"). Man, this guy writes beautifully. There's not a word that's out of place, the characters are distinct, and the plot is fun. It's a short book (around 300 pp) with short chapters (2-3 pages each) so the book really moves along. I don't know how to describe the story accurately: part western, part fable, part journey for redemption/discovery/etc...

If you liked "Peace"'s style, you'll like this one too.
Done. One of the blurbs calls it a "perfect novel". I'm not quite sure I'd go that far but I can't find a damned thing to criticize about it - I've tried and just can't come up with anything. This one has some Christian symbolism in it like his last - if you're looking for it; if not, it's still a perfectly good read. The narrator is hilarious and Charlie Siringo is a fantastic character (& a real one, if the notes at the end are to be believed). I have a picture in my mind of who Charlie looks like, but don't want to taint anyone else's mental images.If you like high literature and also plot-driven novels, go buy this now. Best book I've read this year.

Just finished "The Lincoln Lawyer" by Michael Connelly

Good book, as far as mystery thrillers go. One of the better of the genre that I've read, and that includes the Brass Verdict by the same author. The Lincoln Lawyer had good characters, a tightly wrapped plot, good pace, interesting story line. Recommended.

Taking a bit of a diversion and am reading "The graveyard book" by Neil Gaiman. Good stuff so far, very nice change of pace from the types of novels i've been reading.

In between the two, I tried to get into All the Pretty Horses by Conrad McCarthy but even after 2 attempts, I couldn't get into the book. Just not in the mood for his books right now.

So I'm about halfway through The Passage.

I'm kind of 'meh' right now.

I really enjoyed the beginning and then the next thing you know we are 70 or 90 years into the future.

As soon as this started, I just coudn't get into it. I'm trudging on, but, does it get better?

Just got through 'Fight Club'; I've seen the movie a bunch, wanted to see how the book was different. I've read some of Palahnuik's other works and have generally liked them. The writing style of FC is similar to the movie; spartan, disjointed, a little redundant at times. The movie holds pretty close to the book and where it deviates are generally minor points, and generally I liked the movie adaptation of various changes better than the book. Book does a better job of descriptions of additional fights, injuries from fights, etc. Not sure it's worth a read if you've seen the movie, but not a bad book on it's own accord.

Almost done with 'The Last American Man' by Elizabeth Gilbert. Biography on Eustace Conway, a naturalist who owns/operates a nature preserve called Turtle Island in North Carolina. It starts out pretty strong describing how nature and simple living are being lost in society and how he has built this preserve piece by piece. However, much of the book was about his interpersonal relationships with people, including his father, girlfriends, camp "apprentices", brother, even the author to some degree. I didn't really know what this book was about when I picked it up, but I was hoping for more nature and his relationships/adventures through this medium (like Walden, Dharma Bums, Big Sur as that is my limited 'nature' books I've read) but like a biography probably should be, focused on what makes him tick pulling the curtain back and showing his warts along with the beauty he brings to people and the world. I don't know if I'd recommend it, but an interesting read nonetheless.

As an aside, reading these two back-to-back I couldn't help but compare the Tyler Durden character to the real life Conway. Both were/are countercultural and promoting changing of society; both were/are strong personalities that rule their respective circle pretty tight; both were/are a level above their inner circle and were/are I think loners. Not really too different, but methods of implementing this change were different. Curious if anyone else has read American Man.

So I'm about halfway through The Passage.I'm kind of 'meh' right now.I really enjoyed the beginning and then the next thing you know we are 70 or 90 years into the future. As soon as this started, I just coudn't get into it. I'm trudging on, but, does it get better?
Most reader reviews I've read by folks that feel like you do - that didn't like the time-jump & the Colony section - like it again when some charcters leave on until the end. Myself, I like the "middle" but it is a jarring turn.

I'm about half-way through "So Cold The River" & am enjoying it. Someone upthread recommended it - oso, maybe? Characters are good (though a little generic), dialogue's fine, and the plot doesn't try to do too much. It's reminiscent of King's 70s/80s stuff, though not as bloated. It'll be interesting to see if it falls apart at the end as some of SK's stuff does.

The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls

Excellent memoir I would recommend to everyone and anyone.
Been silently following this thread for some time now and wand to thank everyone for their recommendations. I'm 2/3rds of the way through Await Your Reply and am loving it. Also have found 5 or 6 books to put on my list for the near future.I was surprised to find that the above mention was the only posting for The Glass Castle. It's a very funny and entertaining read and one that stirred up many memories of childhood. It's the only book I've never whole heatedly endorsed and cannot see how anyone could not enjoy it.

So I'm about halfway through The Passage.I'm kind of 'meh' right now.I really enjoyed the beginning and then the next thing you know we are 70 or 90 years into the future. As soon as this started, I just coudn't get into it. I'm trudging on, but, does it get better?
Do a search for Cronin or Passage - there's a pretty good thread on here about the book. I felt a lot like you did. I didn't mind the time jump as a narrative device, I just felt that the story became much less compelling and the writing much more pedestrian after it happened.

Just finished The Places In Between by Rory Stewart. Afghanistan really is an interesting place culture wise. Every village either allied with or at war with their surrounding villages. Tough place to make a living; just surviving is an accomplishment.

Just finished, " Hellhound on His Trail " by Hampton Sides. Detailing the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., and the manhunt to capture James Earl Ray.

Now reading, Zinn's " People's History of the United States ".

All The President's Men, Woodward and Bernstein - loved this. It's great reading this kind of story and then comparing it to the political landscape today and seeing what has and hasn't changed. Reading this after Mark Felt's admission that he was Deep Throat makes it that much more interesting.

Additionally this is just a riveting tale with some larger than life characters. Highly recommend. I'll be checking out the film version.

Just finished up Slash.

Ended up getting stale towards the end. Surprisingly, there's only so many drug and sex stories I can read about - I was more interested in learning stuff about the songs and music but feel like to get that you had to wade through too much filler. 400+ pages is a little long for a book like this.
Tend to agree. Have not read Slash but am reading The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. Very slow start as you can only read so much about junkie paranoia but it got a little better as the I got past page 100. It is also a very difficult read in that it has a lot of strange print visually - red type on black pages and lots of splatter with musical lyrics interjected in ridiculous places. The story would be much better if it was not trying to be as "rock and roll". Suxx seems like an interesting guy.Thanks to those who suggested The Beach. I read it last week in two days. Very riveting but thought the conclusion sucked. It is like he ran out of ideas and needed to end it. Maybe that is the point.

Been reading a lot this summer, but in general it's been very light reading. I can't seem to get interested in anything that isn't plot-driven. I couldn't even garner enough interest to read past the first 50 pages of David Mitchell's new one.

The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon - I'll always read anything Zafon writes, so even though this was Young Adult and not really my thing, I sat down for an hour or two and read through it. Not bad. Obviously not anywhere near as good as his adult novels, but decent enough considering I don't like this genre very much. If nothing else, it will allow me to introduce my kids to Zafon earlier than I would have been able to previously. The story focuses on a brother and sister who move to the coast in England during WWII and befriend a local resident. It moves into a dark mystery surrounding a shipwreck. Again, not bad but not a must-read.

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls - A memoir about Walls and her childhood with awful parents. A lot of dysfunction in this one. The story is interesting, but I was frustrated that she was romanticizing some truly terrible parenting. I get that a kid loves their parents almost regardless of what they do, but I couldn't get past how selfish they were.

Sacred - Dennis Lehane - Lehane's Kenzie and Genarro are simply the best. Every one of his books are must-reads for a mystery fan.

Summer Knight - Jim Butcher - I still can't decide how much I like the Dresden series. I've now read the first four, and I hear it keeps getting better, but so far I'd call them just good enough. Apparently, the newer books are hinting at a bigger over-arching plot thread which I think I would like, but so far it's very episodic in nature with pretty minimal backstory needed.

The English Assassin - Daniel Silva - I've moved from on the fence about whether to keep reading his stuff to becoming a fan. Not sure it was just my mood when I read the first one or if there was a change that clicked with me, but I liked this second book a lot more than the first Allon novel and will keep reading the rest.

Better - Atul Gawande - Non-fiction book written by a practicing surgeon about issues in medicine. Relatively short and really interesting. Some of the topics included moral dilemmas around doctors assisting executions, when to let a patient go, the impact of washing (or not washing) hands before seeing patients. Well-written, not terribly judgmental, and easy for a non-medical professional to digest. Good stuff.

The Neon Rain - James Lee Burke - First book in the Dave Robicheaux series. Dave's a recovering alcoholic, divorced, miserable lieutenant in the New Orleans PD. Really good book, though not ground-breaking in any way (at least not when measured against current writing). I like the grayness of the book and the local color. Pretty standard detective novel in many ways, but while he's no Lehane, a really good all-around read.

The Long Price Quartet - Daniel Abraham - A four-book fantasy series with pretty limited magic (it's much more implied than used in the story) with a decided Asian bent. The flow between books is interesting, with a 15 year gap between each yet with two main protagonists throughout all four books. The story itself could have been boring in the hands of a lesser writer, but Abraham made the whole arc across the four books extremely engaging. I will say that the first book is by far my least favorite and if I hadn't heard so many great things about Abraham I may have bailed then. But it really picked up in books 2-4 and turned out to be an overall very solid series, with the added bonus of having a firm conclusion. He has a new series starting early next year that I will definitely be checking out.

Swan Song - Robert McCammon - I was really pumped for this one as The Stand has always been one of my favorite novels and post-apocalyptic novels in general are my favorite sub-genre. But, while it was good, this book didn't reach me on a level anywhere near The Stand. For one thing, the first half of the novel was entirely too similar to King's novel for my liking. Right down to the trip through the Holland Tunnel, I found myself frustrated by the copycat nature. And though the second half diverges considerably, I couldn't quite get over that earlier tone. Coupled with the fact that I found the ending to be mediocre, this book was merely good while I was hoping for great.

Currently reading: Gone Baby Gone - Dennis Lehane

Swan Song - Robert McCammon - I was really pumped for this one as The Stand has always been one of my favorite novels and post-apocalyptic novels in general are my favorite sub-genre. But, while it was good, this book didn't reach me on a level anywhere near The Stand. For one thing, the first half of the novel was entirely too similar to King's novel for my liking. Right down to the trip through the Holland Tunnel, I found myself frustrated by the copycat nature. And though the second half diverges considerably, I couldn't quite get over that earlier tone. Coupled with the fact that I found the ending to be mediocre, this book was merely good while I was hoping for great.
Had the exact same reaction. Seemed lifted fom The Stand, could have been better, and the ending was rather lame.

Had the exact same reaction. Seemed lifted fom The Stand, could have been better, and the ending was rather lame.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
:bag: I think in some ways Swan Song is better than The Stand. As for the ending, King gets ripped for his too (deux ex machina, anyone?) by some but that's diminishing as more PA novels come out. The Stand, to me, has become the general public's untouchable Ur-Postapocalyptic work, sorta like Lord Of The Rings has for fantasy.

Best: Dark Tower series, The Shining, The Stand, It, The Long Walk, The Talisman.

Worst: From a Buick 8, The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half (although I'm not giving up on it)
Just starting The Talisman now, I've read most of the others and agree with your opinion. Not the whole DT series, just the first which I enjoyed.

I got Swan Song at a garage sale a few months back and it's been sitting on the shelf. Do you guys not think it's as good in general, or just because you read The Stand first? I've never read The Stand - for whatever reason Mr. King lost me as a reader years ago, so I wouldn't have that to compare to.

I got Swan Song at a garage sale a few months back and it's been sitting on the shelf. Do you guys not think it's as good in general, or just because you read The Stand first? I've never read The Stand - for whatever reason Mr. King lost me as a reader years ago, so I wouldn't have that to compare to.
I did like it. In fact, at times I really liked it. But I was hoping for great and it wasn't. But I'm curious what someone who hasn't read The Stand first might think of it. One of my thoughts on it was that if I hadn't read King's book first, I probably would have enjoyed this book quite a bit more. This could easily be a pair of books where you tend to like the one you read first more than the other.Regardless, if and when you read it, don't be turned off by the first few chapters covering the actual start of nuclear war. I thought that part was terrible with awful dialogue and wooden characters. But once you get to the post part of post-apocalyptic, the book and characters both get a lot stronger.

Plowed through The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos (screenwriter for The Wire) over the weekend. Detective fiction set in urban DC with great characters and dialogue. I'd highly recommend it to fans of detective fiction (particularly Dennis Lehane's work), Law and Order, Homicide, and of course, The Wire.

Started The Road last night. So far so good.
Update? I'm really interested to hear what you have to say. My son was about 8 when I read it, and I found it to be probably the most moving, painful meditation on fatherly love I've ever read.
I finished it. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it on the level of Blood Meridian. The rhythm of the prose was still there, but the storytelling didn't work as well as I thought it could have. And the boy annoyed me.

Users who are viewing this thread