Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Kirk Cousins - GETS his chance, now what?

pizzatyme

I'm not an expert at watching film but what are his weakness' again?

Right now it appears to be the 2nd half of games.

So far in the 2nd halves of the Jags and Eagles games:

19-38/319/2TDs/1INT

Not sure if that's something he's doing or if teams are adjusting after the half. Will keep watching to see if this becomes a trend or not.

Also, he starts hot. Has completed 19 of 20 of his 1st 10 passes of each game. As he throws more, his accuracy seems to be going down. Again, not alarming, but something to watch.

Edited by MattFancy

He plays behind a QB who is adored by the owner and a lot of fans who the franchise traded multiple first round draft picks to get.

Folks forget that he started the last 3 games last season and was underwhelming.

Also to note, the redskins will need to make a decision on RG3s 5th year option in the off season. So unless Cousins is undefeated from hear on out and flawless, i think RG3 will get back in there when healthy.

You sound like every caller on the radio today....

Lol at listing Kirks 3 games last year when Cousins took the reins of a 3 win club, with a lame duck coach, and 1 remaining WR worth his grain of salt.

You can fairly judge Cousins on this past game and the games going forward.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

He plays behind a QB who is adored by the owner and a lot of fans who the franchise traded multiple first round draft picks to get.

Folks forget that he started the last 3 games last season and was underwhelming.

Also to note, the redskins will need to make a decision on RG3s 5th year option in the off season. So unless Cousins is undefeated from hear on out and flawless, i think RG3 will get back in there when healthy.

Agreed. Everyone seems to forget that Cousins hasn't always been spectacular when he comes in. I his 5 career starts, he had 3 really good ones: Cleveland in 2012, Atlanta in 2013 and yesterday. But in his 2 other starts, he's been pretty underwhelming. Could he be the real deal? Possibly. But he's yet to put together good starts consecutively.

Lol at listing Kirks 3 games last year when Cousins took the reins of a 3 win club, with a lame duck coach, and 1 remaining WR worth his grain of salt.

So RG3 gets judged on last year but Cousins doesn't? The Skins ship was sinking before Cousins took over in Week 15.

So RG3 gets judged on last year but Cousins doesn't? The Skins ship was sinking before Cousins took over in Week 15.

I missed the part where I even mentioned RGIII.

But since you brought it up, one could argue that RGIII had a heavy hand in the sinking ship that was your Redskins 2013 campaign.

But since you brought it up, one could argue that RGIII had a heavy hand in the sinking ship that was your Redskins 2013 campaign.

one could argue that an awful oline, special teams and defense had a heavier hand at sinking that ship.

• Like 1

one could argue that an awful oline, special teams and defense had a heavier hand at sinking that ship.

You guys are so insecure about RG3, you don't even realize I'm not even criticizing him.

We're talking about Kirk cousins here guys, not RGIII!!!!

OR, one could argue that rg3 has NEVER in 3 seasons played a full 16 games. He has never been, and likely never will be, a great pocket passer. His Schtick is his athleticism. For him to be a dangerous QB, he needs to keep the defense honest with his legs. And seeing as how he has a tendency to get injured as much as vick, one could argue that that is not a great player to rest the fate of your nfl (or fantasy) team on year in and year out. One could argue that the skins brought in grudens to help groom rg3 into a pocket passer to avoid his injury tendencies. And one could argue that this was a desperation move by a franchise embarrassed to admit they made an error by giving up so much to draft rg3. They seem to be preferring to go down with the ship than to admit their error and move on.

One could also argue that cousins is a much better fit for jay grudens system. And one could argue that if cousins continues his stellar play that the Redskins ownership will be forced to demote and trade rg3.

He's not a for for gruden. Experiment failed.

You guys are so insecure about RG3, you don't even realize I'm not even criticizing him.

We're talking about Kirk cousins here guys, not RGIII!!!!

Like i said, lets see how cousins body of work looks in 7 weeks when RG3 is back. But again, i suspect that unless Cousins is flawless, RG3 will go back in.

I dont care who plays. But its important that the Redskins do their due diligence as a very important decision will need to be made in the offseason. They will need more info. So unless we truly look like a team poised to make a postseason run, they are going to put RG3 in and give him a chance to prove himself.

OR, one could argue that rg3 has NEVER in 3 seasons played a full 16 games. He has never been, and likely never will be, a great pocket passer. His Schtick is his athleticism. For him to be a dangerous QB, he needs to keep the defense honest with his legs. And seeing as how he has a tendency to get injured as much as vick, one could argue that that is not a great player to rest the fate of your nfl (or fantasy) team on year in and year out. One could argue that the skins brought in grudens to help groom rg3 into a pocket passer to avoid his injury tendencies. And one could argue that this was a desperation move by a franchise embarrassed to admit they made an error by giving up so much to draft rg3. They seem to be preferring to go down with the ship than to admit their error and move on.

One could also argue that cousins is a much better fit for jay grudens system. And one could argue that if cousins continues his stellar play that the Redskins ownership will be forced to demote and trade rg3.

Only time will tell. All im saying is that there is not enough info yet to make that decision. Lets revisit this in 7 weeks and see how Cousins has done and how healthy RG3 is.

Only time will tell. All im saying is that there is not enough info yet to make that decision. Lets revisit this in 7 weeks and see how Cousins has done and how healthy RG3 is.

Cousins' performance (good or bad) over the next several weeks and RG3's career trajectory are mutually exclusive things.

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden wouldn't rule out Kirk Cousins holding the starting job the rest of the season.

Robert Griffin III (ankle) is expected back in 6-8 weeks, but it's become increasingly clear that he's in serious danger of getting Pipped. Gruden's scheme is tailored to a pocket passer like Cousins, who was sensational at Philadelphia in Week 3. There's little reason to hold RG3 on fantasy benches.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Sep 23 - 12:00 PM

If my QB isn't a leader I don't want him and there's been alot of talk in that direction re RG3. If he goes out and stinks it up next year, his value is gone.

Am I alone in thinking the Skins should dial up the Texans to see if they would part with a couple 2s, this year and next, for Griffin? Skins rid themselves of RG3, recoup some pics while he still holds market value, and roll with Cousins. If he's good, they have a keeper, if he stinks, draft your franchise guy next year. Being a Texas guy, RG3 would be a great sell for the Texans.

You're not alone, but there's a reason the short bus is short.

:popcorn:

I'm pretty sure at this point Gruden has to say that. No sense kicking his current starting QB in the balls after a nice game by telling him he's not in the conversation for the starting gig.

Agreed. I mean what better way to kill Kirk's confidence then to say, "Kirk played really well last week, but no matter what he does from here on out, he's not starting again once Robert is healthy".

I'm pretty sure at this point Gruden has to say that. No sense kicking his current starting QB in the balls after a nice game by telling him he's not in the conversation for the starting gig.

Pretty sure Gruden sees that RG the turd is not only a bad QB, but he's also hurt all the time. He's got the guy he wanted starting the day he took the HC job.

Two-time Super Bowl winning head coach Jimmy Johnson on the premise that Robert Griffin III can’t lose his starting quarterback job while injured:

“Who made up this rule? I think it was some injured player that made up this rule. You play the player that helps you win the ballgame. When Drew Bledsoe got healthy, did [the New England Patriots] sit Tom Brady down? I don’t think so. So, that’s not a rule for me. Kirk Cousins has six-to-eight weeks to prove himself as being the guy. If he proves himself and he is the guy, I don’t think Dan Snyder is going to be real happy, because they’ve got a little problem with the nickname of the team and now you’re going to have another problem – you gave up three first-round picks for a backup quarterback.”

Jimmie Johnson also said on Sunday that RG3 would never be his #1 QB because he wouldn't be able to trust him to stay healthy.

something tells me this is very coorelated.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have owned both of these guys on a dynasty team since they were rookies. Cousins has always struck me as a guy who can put up some big numbers but can get careless at times and make more than his share of costly interceptions. He has been great in a small spurt and if he can keep it going I can see Washington sticking with him and shipping off RGIII.

if Cousins plays this good for the rest of his time as starter than Wash is going to have to break them up, question is which one will they choose and which one will the league give up the most for? Gotta think right now they would choose Cousins even though I think they would get more if they traded Capt Kirk.

Theres a lot of teams that could be interested next yr imo.

Mia (ready to move on from Tanny)

NYJ (Geno isn't starter material, would make a great backup)

Tenn (Locker wore out his welcome)

Hou (Fitz is a stoppage)

Tampa (they got hosed on the McCown deal)

Zona (Are they really going to pay Palmer 10 Mil, and if not are they really going to roll with Stanton)

StL (their done with Bradford and it would be funny if RGIII goes to the team that had his pick)

and for a longshot, NYG finally pulls the plug on Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning (17 Mil!!!!), hires the new coach and trades for Cousins or RGIII

even bigger longshot, Dal just misses the playoffs again and Jerry Jones finally cuts some heads including Romo's (17 Mil!!!); makes the deal with Wash for one of the QBs.

Edited by KellysHeroes

It's funny to read back and see the grilling I took in this thread! While this story is far from complete, Cousins has accounted for himself really well.

Maybe just maybe someone who wasn't on RGIII's jock could be right after all?!

:popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: