Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Kirk Cousins - GETS his chance, now what?

pizzatyme

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden said he will not replace Kirk Cousins with Colt McCoy.

Cousins has been bad in real life, throwing seven interceptions in his last three games and losing four straight. But his gunslinger style is working well for fantasy owners, as he's averaging 330.2 yards and 2.0 touchdowns during that span. So despite the woes, Cousins is on the QB1 streamer radar for a nice home matchup against Tennessee this week. Gruden knows that turning to the popgun-armed McCoy would only handcuff this offense.

Related: Colt McCoy

Source: Washington Post

Oct 14 - 9:00 AM

He's OK with the right matchup for fantasy purposes. He makes BAD mistakes. I can't believe that last pick 6 - who was he throwing to? If his first read his open he's good - but if he has to go through projections he's screwed.

Rashad Johnson was wide open. Hit him right on the numbers.

Cousins is a decent fantasy QB, but a pretty poor real-life QB.

I agree with this, and that is what causes a lot of dissension on a fantasy board. For me, he is a fine fantasy QB because of volume, but in the NFL, he simply seems to take too long processing information and really doesn't handle pressure, or even the threat of pressure, very well.

Cousins is a decent fantasy QB, but a pretty poor real-life QB.

I agree with this, and that is what causes a lot of dissension on a fantasy board. For me, he is a fine fantasy QB because of volume, but in the NFL, he simply seems to take too long processing information and really doesn't handle pressure, or even the threat of pressure, very well.

Agreed. He also doesn't seem to know how to shake off mistakes. Notice how he rarely has just 1 INT a game. Once he gets rattled, it seems like he doesn't know how to get himself out of it.

Guest General Tso

Yeah, but in fantasy leagues that don't penalize for interceptions the guy is a top 12 QB. My concern is that he'll get benched in the middle of a game now.

Yeah, but in fantasy leagues that don't penalize for interceptions the guy is a top 12 QB. My concern is that he'll get benched in the middle of a game now.

He's my QB2 in a 2-QB league where we don't penalize for INTs. Cousins is terrible but I'm loving the point totals. Now I'm conserving FAAB money to make a QB pickup when RG3 returns.

It's a risk, but I don't think that will happen. Cousins is bad, but McCoy is worse. Since RG3 will be back soon, they'll probably just ride it out for another game or two with Cousins.

Kirk Cousins, QB: -7.0

Breakdown: A trio of fourth-quarter interceptions sunk Cousins’ grade, but he wasn’t exactly making a ton of headway before that. With only 76 air yards on the day (on 24 completions), the huge majority of his 354 passing yards were thanks to the YAC ability of his receivers and he managed just three completions over 10 yards downfield with another two of those attempts picked off. It’s been up-and-down with him this season and no middle ground – three games in the green and now his second securely in the red.

Signature Stat: Cousins’ 2.17 average time to throw is currently the week’s lowest mark. Only eight of his attempts came after 2.6 seconds had elapsed, and his passer rating on those? 5.2.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/13/refo-redskins-cardinals-week-6/

Everything being listed as a weakness for Cousins the last couple pages was on the list of things he did better than RG3 before he was expose. Hilarious. Lack of pocket presence, inability to read the defense, lack of ball security, staring down WR's.

• Like 2

Rotoworld:

Kirk Cousins has struggled in the second half of games this season.

Cousins has completed 65.3 percent of his throws and thrown six touchdowns to zero interceptions in the first half this season. He is only completing 57.8 percent with a 4:8 TD-to-INT ratio in the second half. Cousins believes the discrepancy results from him pressing as the Redskins fight back from big deficits. Despite his real-life struggles, Cousins has been a decent fantasy bet, scoring the 13th most fantasy points per game among quarterbacks this season. He is an interesting QB2 against the Titans this week.
Oct 18 - 9:35 AM

So it was no surprise Wednesday when coach Jay Gruden said that Robert Griffin III will reclaim the Washington Redskins starting job when healthy and sufficiently up to speed in practice, and that third-stringer Colt McCoy might get into a game if, according to Gruden, "things continue in this downward spiral."

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/10/redskins-could-bench-kirk-cousins-for-colt-mccoy-if-downward-spiral-continues-108212.html

So it was no surprise Wednesday when coach Jay Gruden said that Robert Griffin III will reclaim the Washington Redskins starting job when healthy and sufficiently up to speed in practice, and that third-stringer Colt McCoy might get into a game if, according to Gruden, "things continue in this downward spiral."

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/10/redskins-could-bench-kirk-cousins-for-colt-mccoy-if-downward-spiral-continues-108212.html

So i should stick with Palmer this week.

I still think cousins looks to be a better fit in this offense than RGIII but man those turnovers are killer.

Edited by Twenty-Four Eighty-Four

Benched for Colt McCoy. For good reason. Cousins sucks unbelievably bad, and you undermine yourself as HC if you keep letting him play making these mistakes. Cousins isn't a guy you need to let play through these stretches when he's losing you games...he's a backup. Go to the next backup when he sucks.

Rotoworld:

Kirk Cousins was benched at halftime of Washington's Week 7 game against the Titans.

Colt McCoy is now in the game, and threw a 70-yard touchdown to Pierre Garcon on his first attempt. Cousins' benching was richly deserved, as he committed two first-half turnovers, and appeared genuinely spooked. CBS commentator Rich Gannon was less than impressed with Cousins' body language as he went 10-of-16 for 139 yards, zero scores, one pick and one lost fumble. Cousins fumble was a sack where he held onto the ball for far too long, while his pick was thrown right to LB Wesley Woodyard. Cousins leads the NFL in interceptions despite his part-time slate. Robert Griffin III is shaping up as a strong bet to return in Week 8. Cousins is safely droppable in all formats of fantasy.
Related: Colt McCoy
Oct 19 - 2:52 PM

Guest General Tso

And so it ends. Mercifully. Haven't seen such a mentally fragile QB, well, ever. Just knew during that meltdown a few weeks ago on Thursday night that it wasn't a physical issue with the guy, it was all between the ears. The position of Quarterback is all about what's between the ears, being mentally strong and making the right decisions during stress. When a QB displays such visible weakness in this aspect of the game you have to move on immediately. Surprised it took this long before they went with McCoy.

And so it ends. Mercifully. Haven't seen such a mentally fragile QB, well, ever. Just knew during that meltdown a few weeks ago on Thursday night that it wasn't a physical issue with the guy, it was all between the ears.

I agree with you since so many of his turnovers were unforced. The only one causing them was Cousins.

"looks good in the pocket"

"prefect fit for the coach's offense"

"pure pocket passer"

"gets them out of the huddle in a hurry"

:lmao: at how much those assets of Cousins were worth. He can't play worth squat on a regular basis at the NFL level, and often led the other team to more points than his own team.

This is a thread for the ages.

• Like 1

To think I spent FAB on this guy. I mean I did start him one week and get good production, but man is he a joke.

huh? For fantasy purposes hes been pretty damn good. 4 weeks with 25+ pts in my league with one stinker.
I cut him after the stinker and never looked back. As we saw today, the writing was on the wall.

I think there is a chance that the O Line isn't trying as hard as they could. If you think your QB is holding the ball too long and therefore making you look bad, you say screw it. Maybe he then learns to get rid of it sooner

It wouldn't be the first time a backup came in and the like suddenly played or looked better.

And I get it that RG3 might get his feelings hurt by sitting a few games, but maybe the staff can sell him on trying to showcase Cousins for an off season trade. All the while they would be protecting their prized asset.

If they stand pat, I sense this ends tragically for Griffin.

:lmao:

• Like 1

While discussing Griffin:

Get rid of the football quick like a real QB and you won't have the problems he has.

One thing you can say for Cousins: he got rid of the ball quick. There was no telling why he was throwing it then, or where it would go, but gosh darn it it came out of there quick.

This thread is a treasure of stupid.

• Like 1

Any chance Cousins is colorblind? Some of those picks are not even close.

I actually wondered about that myself. He'd see a guy open and hit him, without regard for what team he was on. But one team usually wears white jerseys so it's unlikely that's the cause.

I think he just plays panicked, that it's internally-generated and doesn't come from what's happening in the game.

Defending RG3 by saying his OLine is awful is lazy and simply making excuses for him

Some of the pressure RG3 gets is absolutely not his fault, sure. But much of it is by him not properly avoiding pressure (his pocket awareness is really bad right now) or holding on to the ball too long. The latter could be a result of WRs not getting open or RG3 not progressing through his reads fast enough.

I believe a good example of this is the Philly qb situation with Foles and Vick, or Cleveland with Hoyer (sample size). Beginning the season the philly oline was thought to be a sieve. Vick took lots of hits and was seemingly constanly under duress. Then Foles comes in (completely immobile) and the oline suddenly improves.

Foles smartly avoids pressure and has excellent timing with his wrs. The oline issues still exist, Foles just handles the rush much, much better than Vick. Even while being less mobile.

I believe RG3 (especially last night against SF) and Luck are both working with receivers that have difficulty getting consistent separation.

So I guess I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Cousins would fare because I honestly don't see how the qb play could be any worse. Given how RG3 has played in all but a few garbage-time quarters can we really say he gives Washington the best chance to win? I say no. Keeping him in for developmental reasons is beyond silly at this point

This PFF ranking supports my claims imo Washington has the 4th highest rated line in the league

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/20/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-second-quarter/5/

:goodposting: Lichtensteiger, Polumbus, and Williams are studs.

This is priceless. :lmao:

I get it about his footwork, but his issues appear to be more about pre-snap reads, progression reads, and pocket presence. I'm not sure how much of this (if any) would be helped had he had a full camp. I mean, he can do all of these in the film room, and from the sidelines watching Cousins in camp and during the games.

His issues appear to be more about pre-snap reads, progression reads, and pocket presence. I'm not sure how much of this (if any) would be helped had he had a full camp or even some game experience. I mean, he can do all of these in the film room, and from the sidelines watching McCoy in camp and during the games.

I like Kirk Cousins and think he will be more successful at the QB position than RG3 long term. As soon as his rookie contract is up he will be starting for someone.

Update?

I don't think his rookie contract is up.

It wasn't up when that post was made either.

Think he'll be starting for an NFL team when it's up?

Defending RG3 by saying his OLine is awful is lazy and simply making excuses for him

Some of the pressure RG3 gets is absolutely not his fault, sure. But much of it is by him not properly avoiding pressure (his pocket awareness is really bad right now) or holding on to the ball too long. The latter could be a result of WRs not getting open or RG3 not progressing through his reads fast enough.

I believe a good example of this is the Philly qb situation with Foles and Vick, or Cleveland with Hoyer (sample size). Beginning the season the philly oline was thought to be a sieve. Vick took lots of hits and was seemingly constanly under duress. Then Foles comes in (completely immobile) and the oline suddenly improves.

Foles smartly avoids pressure and has excellent timing with his wrs. The oline issues still exist, Foles just handles the rush much, much better than Vick. Even while being less mobile.

I believe RG3 (especially last night against SF) and Luck are both working with receivers that have difficulty getting consistent separation.

So I guess I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Cousins would fare because I honestly don't see how the qb play could be any worse. Given how RG3 has played in all but a few garbage-time quarters can we really say he gives Washington the best chance to win? I say no. Keeping him in for developmental reasons is beyond silly at this point

This PFF ranking supports my claims imo Washington has the 4th highest rated line in the league

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/20/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-second-quarter/5/

:goodposting: Lichtensteiger, Polumbus, and Williams are studs.

This is priceless. :lmao:

:thumbup:

Well, that escalated quickly.

Has anyone ever more quickly gone from being considered better than a ROY superstar to then being considered worse than a journeyman third string quarterback? I mean, it's just incredible how fast it all went downhill. Cousin's head has to be literally spinning. I agree with what Gruden had to do today. But I also feel for Cousins.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Has anyone ever more quickly gone from being considered better than a ROY superstar to then being considered worse than a journeyman third string quarterback? I mean, it's just incredible how fast it all went downhill. Cousin's head has to be literally spinning. I agree with what Gruden had to do today. But I also feel for Cousins.

Ebola victims? Domestic violence victims? Thousands that die daily from starvation?

... And Kirk Cousins is the one you 'feel' for?

:thumbup: