Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Kirk Cousins - GETS his chance, now what?

pizzatyme

lol this thread is still going?

Stronger than ever now.

Huh? I don't mind Kirk, but what exactly has he shown so far? He had a great chance in 2013 in those final 3 games to grab the #1 job and he choked. Then again in 2014 when Griffin went down, he had another shot. And like the 1st time, choked it away. Now he's playing well (again) against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers and everyone thinks he's the answer?

• Like 1

Stronger than ever now.

Huh? I don't mind Kirk, but what exactly has he shown so far? He had a great chance in 2013 in those final 3 games to grab the #1 job and he choked. Then again in 2014 when Griffin went down, he had another shot. And like the 1st time, choked it away. Now he's playing well (again) against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers and everyone thinks he's the answer?

Besides too many INT's he played well last year.

Stronger than ever now.

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good narrative. Maybe just maybe the Skins are just horrible right now and none of these QBs can flourish here. RGIII was running for his life AGAIN. I'm not sure there isn't a push behind the scenes to make him fail by the other players.

• Like 2

Stronger than ever now.

Played well in the 1st half of games.

1st half numbers:

943yds, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 64.8%, 104.2 rating

2nd half numbers:

776 yards, 4 TDs, 8 INTs, 57.8%, 63.9 rating

Teams adjusted to him pretty well after the 2nd half. INTs aside.

Stronger than ever now.

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good narrative. Maybe just maybe the Skins are just horrible right now and none of these QBs can flourish here. RGIII was running for his life AGAIN. I'm not sure there isn't a push behind the scenes to make him fail by the other players.

"This bastard thinks he's the best in the league, eh? Ha, me and the tubby boys will show him how bad it can be when everyone on your team hates you."

Possible, but not probable.

Whoever allowed this team to go into the season with the same QBs needs to be fired immediately.

Because the Bradys and Mannings grow on trees. Dime a dozen.

Because it takes a Brady or Manning to upgrade this trio of clowns?
I know you aren't interested in a real conversation but there was no one really available this off-season that would have been an upgrade. No blue chip college prospects were out this year and the FA market wasnt much better than McCoy or Cousins.

Cousins has looked good at times, but as some of have pointed out, defenses seemed to figure him out. So will he progress? Or is he just pre-season super star?

Sounds like Homers are mostly thinkin the latter. Ol rat face thinks he's the shizz.

Of course ol rat face has 2 Super Bowl rings.

Is it that time again(for someone else to show they can lead this team?

The company line on ESPN 980 abruptly changed overnight to "Griffin is terrible and Cousins is the best QB on the team", so yes.

The answer to the question posed in the thread title is next weekend. And it's not going to be pretty.

Probably not, but it will be interesting to find out.

ETA: the Giants have been his achilles heel - in two games against them his record is 38/82 (46%), 1 TD, 6 INT.

Outside of those games his career numbers are 202/325 (62.2%), 17 TD, 13 INT.

Edited by cstu

The answer to the question posed in the thread title is next weekend. And it's not going to be pretty.

Probably not, but it will be interesting to find out.

ETA: the Giants have been his achilles heel - in two games against them his record is 38/82 (46%), 1 TD, 6 INT.

Outside of those games his career numbers are 202/325 (62.2%), 17 TD, 13 INT.

I would say that it's more likely that the Giants were just the first team to figure him out.

If the Redskins go into this season with Cousins as the starting QB, they're staring directly at 2-14. Not that I see them really any higher than a 4-5 win team with Griffin, even if he somehow becomes a viable NFL QB.

Stronger than ever now.

And my suspicions seem to be somewhat true. No way he should have gotten killed like that in a game without making adjustments. And especially pre-season! I kinda feel for the kid.

Tonight will be ugly. This team is (even more) royally screwed if they have to rely on Cousins or McCoy.

I think Cousins has been generally overrated by a large percentage of Skins fan base and many others.

But I keep seeing you post about how ugly it will be when he plays. I disagree. Cousins has the ability to play well in spurts and when he has confidence. I don't think he's a long term answer as a starter but these traits make him a very good backup.

I expect him to play well tonight. And let's not forget. Nits pre-season.

Good QBs make their lines look better and know how to protect themselves. Griffin makes his line look worse than it is, constantly takes hits he doesn't need to, and takes bigger hits than he needs to when they're unavoidable too.

Cousins would be OK if he can cut down on the INTs. Everything else is passable to good.

Edited by wdcrob
  • Like 2

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer said the Redskins have yet to make a decision on their Week 1 starter.

This negates a report from ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini, who said Kirk Cousins had been tabbed for Week 1. Russini spent several years covering the Redskins, so she is aa plugged in with the team as any national reporter. Robert Griffin III (concussion) may not be cleared to play by Week 1, which would make this all a moot point. The bigger point to take away from the last week is the Redskins' organization is about as dysfunctional as they come.

Related: Robert Griffin III

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Aug 29 - 1:42 PM

Tonight will be ugly. This team is (even more) royally screwed if they have to rely on Cousins or McCoy.

I think Cousins has been generally overrated by a large percentage of Skins fan base and many others.

But I keep seeing you post about how ugly it will be when he plays. I disagree. Cousins has the ability to play well in spurts and when he has confidence. I don't think he's a long term answer as a starter but these traits make him a very good backup.

I expect him to play well tonight. And let's not forget. Nits pre-season.

I would love to see him play well, but I'm expecting it to be similar to how Bob looked last week against an aggressive defensive front.

Yes, I to believe he is a fine backup/spot starter. But in the past he has crumpled under a quality defensive game plan.

If we see a Ravens defense out for blood against him, it WILL get ugly.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer said the Redskins have yet to make a decision on their Week 1 starter.

This negates a report from ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini, who said Kirk Cousins had been tabbed for Week 1. Russini spent several years covering the Redskins, so she is aa plugged in with the team as any national reporter. Robert Griffin III (concussion) may not be cleared to play by Week 1, which would make this all a moot point. The bigger point to take away from the last week is the Redskins' organization is about as dysfunctional as they come.

pretty sure when griffin is cleared he will be the starter.

Rotoworld:

Or he could get cut next week. It's the Skins so WTF knows!?!

Rotoworld:

Or he could get cut next week. It's the Skins so WTF knows!?!

Id be shocked if they changed course that quickly. but, it is the skins so who knows.

"Strong first half"? And Colt McCoy is on his way to the Pro Bowl after a monstrous second half! :)

The Redskins have no chance with either of the two. Their only small chance to compete is getting RG3 to function in some type of compromise offense that doesn't rely too much on Griffin passing from the pocket and lets him run on occasion. Forcing Griffin to become a pure pocket passer overnight is delusional, although that feature has been a staple of Dan Snyder's tenure. For comparison, Cam Newton had a much better starting point in terms of mechanism and pocket feel + the benefit of a much calmer, more gradual and managed transition. Yet, even Cam still hasn't fully made it. So the notion that somehow Gruden will show up and transform RG3 into the third Manning brother is beyond naive.

On a different note, how plausible is it that this same O-line, which gave up a sack every 2.5 pass plays last time, now holds the Ravens without a single sack?

Cautiously optimistic after what I saw last night (but I didn't see a whole lot of the game itself).

It's going to come down to protection, but that is the key for most QBs.

Forcing Expecting Griffin to become a pure pocket passer overnight is delusional

How do you figure? I am not the biggest fan of RG3 and, on a personal level, he annoys me, but your view above seems biased to me and, more importantly, lacks any substantiation. Forum pollution, imho.

• 4 weeks later...

They obviously got taken out of their game plan early. Skins special teams put them in a hole again. Granted it was only a 2-0 hole, but this team is full of guys used to losing and they don't tend to overcome adversity, especially Cousins. Then a few penalties nullified some big plays, Kirk throws a bad INT and bam. Skins are losing and out of game script already.

I do agree some of the playcalling was questionable at times. Giants were stacking the right side and over committing on 1st down to the run. No adjustment really to that.