What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (2 Viewers)

MattFancy said:
My favorite was a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about Dilfer's eval of Cousins. Galdi led into by asking Cooley if he though Dilfer was a fair evaluator of QBs. Cooley said he thought Dilfer was really good at understanding QBs. They then play a clip of Dilfer basically saying Kirk doesn't have all the physical tools to be a great QB in the league. Cooley then bashes Dilfer and calls him lazy for his evaluation of Cousins. I immediately turned it off.
:lol: The best one I heard was the day Cooley was yelling "He's not my boyfriend!" (about Cousins) and calling fans morons. Chris doesn't take criticism or differing opinions very well; he's starting to remind me a bit of Chris Russell.

Cuz not getting much fantasy love on "rest of the way" rankings I've seen. Ranked mid-20s here, and 31st on another site.
He's a good matchup play when the matchup is right. Not someone I'd want as an every week fantasy starter.
I'm holding him for a couple of good match-ups the rest of the way, including NYG next week. Right now I have him and Tannehill. Neither is great this week, but I think I can play match-ups with the two of them ROS. Maybe pick up another streamer at some point.

MattFancy said:
My favorite was a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about Dilfer's eval of Cousins. Galdi led into by asking Cooley if he though Dilfer was a fair evaluator of QBs. Cooley said he thought Dilfer was really good at understanding QBs. They then play a clip of Dilfer basically saying Kirk doesn't have all the physical tools to be a great QB in the league. Cooley then bashes Dilfer and calls him lazy for his evaluation of Cousins. I immediately turned it off.
:lol: The best one I heard was the day Cooley was yelling "He's not my boyfriend!" (about Cousins) and calling fans morons. Chris doesn't take criticism or differing opinions very well; he's starting to remind me a bit of Chris Russell.
Probably my favorite Cooley line ever.

Kirk Cousins displaying competence.

It's been a weird year in the league.
Giving credit where it's due -- yes, he has so far this year. It's been a short quick passing game designed to minimize sacks, but that's more due to the Redskin O-line being not-so-good and having 2 guys who never started before on the right side, exacerbated by losing the starting LG and C for the year and throwing 2 other non-starters in there. It's the best passing attack for a line like that and Cousins has done pretty well with it. If they had a steady run game he'd likely be doing a bit better, but their rushing game either produces 200 yards or 38 yards in games.
 Careful, fatness. you are treading dangerously close to complimenting Gruden w/ this post, if not doing so already.

dehaven123 said:
fatness said:
BobbyLayne said:
Kirk Cousins displaying competence.

It's been a weird year in the league.
Giving credit where it's due -- yes, he has so far this year. It's been a short quick passing game designed to minimize sacks, but that's more due to the Redskin O-line being not-so-good and having 2 guys who never started before on the right side, exacerbated by losing the starting LG and C for the year and throwing 2 other non-starters in there. It's the best passing attack for a line like that and Cousins has done pretty well with it. If they had a steady run game he'd likely be doing a bit better, but their rushing game either produces 200 yards or 38 yards in games.
 Careful, fatness. you are treading dangerously close to complimenting Gruden w/ this post, if not doing so already.
:lol:

I still have Gruden on a short leash.

He played the Saints for crying out loud. All year long I've been salivating at playing defenses against Cousins. Just stares down his receivers and is so easy to pick. If he turns last week into a pay day more power to him. Gruden is an idiot.

Cuz not getting much fantasy love on "rest of the way" rankings I've seen. Ranked mid-20s here, and 31st on another site.
He's a good matchup play when the matchup is right. Not someone I'd want as an every week fantasy starter.
I'm holding him for a couple of good match-ups the rest of the way, including NYG next week. Right now I have him and Tannehill. Neither is great this week, but I think I can play match-ups with the two of them ROS. Maybe pick up another streamer at some point.
Never get in a land war in Asia, never get in a battle of wits with a Scililian(especially with death on the line), and never start a Redskin against a Giant.

So I don't want to sort through the last few pages but is there a decent chance Cousins is a good QB and the long term solution in Washington?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel as if this thread will be back to normal after Cousins plays a good defense. Or any defense not named the Rob Ryan Aints.

I feel as if this thread will be back to normal after Cousins plays a good defense. Or any defense not named the Rob Ryan Aints.
Could be the case. It's also worth considering that he is just now getting his best weapon back healthy, DJax. DJax presence makes a huge impact on that offense. He's tilts the field and dictates coverage.

Could be the case. It's also worth considering that he is just now getting his best weapon back healthy, DJax. DJax presence makes a huge impact on that offense. He's tilts the field and dictates coverage.
I agree with you there. Especially with Reed being himself and Crowder coming on in the slot. They've got talent. Might not be this week it happens but possibly ROS?

DJax sucks. He's a waste of space that is afraid of contact because he gets hurt if someone sneezes on him.

jurb26 said:
Loipz said:
Last two seasons with and w/o Jackson:

With (7 games) - 146-236-2001-13-10

Without (8 games) - 206-301-1987-11-8

With - Lower comp %, higher Y/A and Y/G

Without - Higher comp %, lower Y/A and Y/G

TD:INT similar in both situations.

Cousins/Redskins are 2-5 in the "With" games and 4-4 in the "Without" games.

Most of the "With" games are in 2014 and most of the "Without" are in 2015, so Jackson isn't the only variable obviously.

Last two seasons with and w/o Jackson:With (7 games) - 146-236-2001-13-10

Without (8 games) - 206-301-1987-11-8

With - Lower comp %, higher Y/A and Y/G

Without - Higher comp %, lower Y/A and Y/G

TD:INT similar in both situations.

Cousins/Redskins are 2-5 in the "With" games and 4-4 in the "Without" games.

Most of the "With" games are in 2014 and most of the "Without" are in 2015, so Jackson isn't the only variable obviously.
Crowder>DJax even as a rookie.

Anyone rolling with him this weekend? Who are your other choices?

Mariotta/Smith/Eli/Cousins

:tumbleweed: :cry:

Agonized over him, Ryan @ Jax, and Marriota @ NE (albeit briefly)

As long as Djax goes, I think he's a real solid 280 2 TD play.

He scored me 38 vs NO earlier. I'm hoping Cuz cones through again.

A few nuggets I read somewhere.

Buffalo has the 3rd fewest sacks this year

Buffalo has given up 250 in the air for like 5 or 6 straight

Gilmore is hurt

Gilmore is hurt
They have been living off of last year's rep and now they are all sorts of injured. Sign me up for Cuz at home in a game they have to have.

Gilmore is hurt
They have been living off of last year's rep and now they are all sorts of injured. Sign me up for Cuz at home in a game they have to have.
I've been leaning this way more and more... Also, sunny/mid 40s/6 MPH wind in DC Sunday as of today's forecast.

I'm rolling with Cousins as of right now.

Was contemplating a Yates + Hopkins stack out of semi-desperation, but TNF went well so I'm not feeling like a big underdog.

Other options are Mariota and Hasselbeck. Mariota I gave some thought to, Hasselbeck not so much.

i'm torn between Cousins and Tyrod. Read a good piece in Evan Silva's breakdown that has me thinking possibly Tyrod, even with Clay hurt. i'm sure i will go back and forth a few times before Sunday:

Quarterbacks who get the ball out quickly like Tom Brady, Eli Manning, and Andy Dalton have had passing success on Rex Ryan's Bills. Quarterbacks who use more time in the pocket like Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Sam Bradford, and Andrew Luck have struggled against Buffalo. Kirk Cousins is mid-pack or worse in this regard, ranking 17th among 31 qualified passers in PFF's Time to Throw metric and 20th in Time to Attempt. Although Cousins has been far better at home (12:2 TD-to-INT ratio) than on the road (6:9) this year, my bet is his box score will be pedestrian in Week 15

I am very tempted to play him over Fitzpatrick. I just don't love that Dallas matchup and Cousins has nice home splits.

Cousins home splits are insane.

He's not impressive to watch, but he's stuffing the stat sheet. They call a game that he excels at; props to the Redskins coaches for recognizing his limitations & designing the game plan accordingly.

I am very tempted to play him over Fitzpatrick. I just don't love that Dallas matchup and Cousins has nice home splits.
I've got the same situation and thinking the same thing. I rode Fitz the last 3 weeks to get in now let's let Cuz have some fun.

I'm debating Fits vs. Cousins as well.

Interesting read from Rotoworld's Silva in his weekly matchups column:

"Quarterbacks who get the ball out quickly like Tom Brady, Eli Manning, and Andy Dalton have had passing success on Rex Ryan's Bills. Quarterbacks who use more time in the pocket like Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Sam Bradford, and Andrew Luck have struggled against Buffalo. Kirk Cousins is mid-pack or worse in this regard, ranking 17th among 31 qualified passers in PFF's Time to Throw metric and 20th in Time to Attempt. Although Cousins has been far better at home (12:2 TD-to-INT ratio) than on the road (6:9) this year, my bet is his box score will be pedestrian in Week 15. ..."

I'm leaning Fitz because the Dallas secondary is banged up now.

Wow, whoever had the presence of mind to start Cousins during FFL playoff time was just rewarded.

No one could have seen that coming Week 1...

I was trying to talk a co-worker (Giants fan) into picking up Cousins for this week. He went with TJ Yates. I kept pointing out to him Cousins home splits, his stats the last two months, et al.

I imagine that guy is not going to want to talk about football this morning.

Wow, whoever had the presence of mind to start Cousins during FFL playoff time was just rewarded.

No one could have seen that coming Week 1...
I was forced to once Dalton went down. Talk about a Christmas present.
Same here. I certainly wasn't planning to roll out Cousins in the playoffs, but glad I did. I'll probably start him week 16 too, even though it's an away game.

Saved my bacon for sure. Could I possibly go back to the well with him on the road vs Philly in a championship week?

Saved my bacon for sure. Could I possibly go back to the well with him on the road vs Philly in a championship week?
Philly is a tough place to play but with the injuries to their CBs Cousins/Jackson could have some big plays.

Re: rolling with Cousins vs. Philly.

I think it falls into the camp if your regular QB is out and you need a fill in, he's worth it vs. other fill in (like poster talking about Yates above).

However, I wouldn't bench a regular starter like Rodgers for him.

Vs. Philly could be potentially great or average but probably not horrible. Two sides:

1. Home vs. Away -- Kirk's home splits are way superior to away. I could see the Redskins competing in the game and possibly even winning it, while Cousins only throws for one score. (e.g. imagine a 17-14 type game). Look at his game log game by game...and you will see these types of 1 TD performances thrown in there.

2. On the other hand there are factors that could result in his scoring lots: a.) healthy Jackson and Reed have been associated with his rising numbers, and Jackson (who Philly fans say lack motivation) will be motivated, b.) Philly injured in the secondary, c.) Washington may need to keep slinging it if Philly's offense scores regularly.

So I can see it either way. I'd say good fill in if you need it, but don't go benching your regular starter.

Perspective from a Redskins fan/homer...

Users who are viewing this thread