Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Kirk Cousins - GETS his chance, now what?

pizzatyme

Have I been vindicated in starting this thread by now? Cousins proves what he can do.

One of a handful of guys that simply needs a legitimate shot to start and a coach staff that knows what they are doing. If Shanahan was still in WASH, they would be looking for a new QB in the draft.

Have I been vindicated in starting this thread by now?

I'd say you have. Several times earlier in his career Cousins got starts and played his way out of starting. This year he started slow and built into a decent QB that his teammates rely on.

• Like 2

Have I been vindicated in starting this thread by now? Cousins proves what he can do.

One of a handful of guys that simply needs a legitimate shot to start and a coach staff that knows what they are doing. If Shanahan was still in WASH, they would be looking for a new QB in the draft.

Shanny was the one smart enough to draft him a few picks after the owner built his fantasy lineup w RG3. Have to give him some credit, he got a lot of heat for it at the time.

• Like 1

Finished the second half of the season as QB3, only behind Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. 19 TDs vs. 2 INTs and a completion percentage of 73.6% with only 235 passes thrown over that timespan. Only Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor had fewer pass attempts over the second half of the season out of the top 20 QBs. Dang he is efficient.

In fact, his 2015 season completion percentage of 69.8% ranks 7th all time and ranks 3rd all time for QBs with 500+ attempts only behind Drew Brees's 2011 and 2009 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_single_season.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, daveR said:

I doubt they have the cap space, but if they do, I could see Denver giving up two (very) late #1's for him.

Why would they do that instead of keeping their firsts and just signing Osweiler for less? they went 5-2 with Osweiler starting.

16 minutes ago, daveR said:

IMO, Cousins is significantly better.  (just one man's opinion)

I wouldn't necessarily argue that - but not sure he's 2 first round picks (plus a lot more money) better. Osweiler hasn't had as much in-game or practice reps experience as Cousins either - so he could develop into a better QB potentially.

Supposedly Cousins is going to sign the tender and be there all off-season, which is great for everyone involved I think.

$20M is a lot of scratch for a player to prove it again, but I think it is the right thing because I wouldn't want to rush and commit to anyone dumb enough to do this: 

On 3/2/2016 at 3:42 PM, massraider said:

No one is giving up two 1st rounders.  For anyone.  They just aren't. 

And yet, they will trade MULTIPLE picks for the rights to draft, say, RG3.

Why not 2 very late 1st rounders?

2 hours ago, daveR said:

And yet, they will trade MULTIPLE picks for the rights to draft, say, RG3.

Why not 2 very late 1st rounders?

I dunno, but they don't.  

There have been several examples of trades involving multiple 1sts, so hey, it happens.  But in general, it's an unwise strategy, and NFL teams are risk-averse.  Fans criticize for moves teams make, not the deals they DON'T make.  

Cousins signed the tender, so he knew no one was making an offer.  If there was any chance that he was getting an offer, he never would have signed so quick.  Now he can't talk to anyone.  

11 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

About $3-5MM per year at least?

I am not so sure about that. 

Fitzpatrick is supposed to get a deal similar to Bradford now. Last year at this time there was foubt he would ever get another chance...... and he'll be turning 34 mid season.

There is just a lot of QB demand out there and only one that is ready to start week one in the draft imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Depending on your league, the guy was 8-10 in scoring last year at QB. Not exactly a sleeper. 

Fine, he's my "value pick". He's currently going at 10.05.

Would love to go top heavy on RB/WR for 9 rounds and still be able to nab this guy in the 10th round. Throw him in a committee with Derek Carr.

3 minutes ago, Eminence said:

Fine, he's my "value pick". He's currently going at 10.05.

Would love to go top heavy on RB/WR for 9 rounds and still be able to nab this guy in the 10th round. Throw him in a committee with Derek Carr.

Agreed.  I think he has legitimate Top 5 potential - lots of weapons in the pass game, highly suspect run game, less than stellar defense.  In my eyes he is this year's Bortles.  I'll be targeting him heavily this year in the same way Eminence is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MMQB's Albert Breer reports contract negotiations between the Redskins and franchise-tagged QB Kirk Cousins are "going nowhere."

Breer reports both sides expect Cousins to play out 2016 under the terms of the franchise tag, which would pay him $19.95 million. Likely thinking he will be in an even better negotiating position this time next year, Cousins has little reason to accept a cut-rate deal before the July 15 deadline, and Washington likely wants to see him do it again before they shell out franchise-quarterback money. No matter how grim it looks in June, these deals usually get done at the deadline, but it would not be surprising if Cousins played out the season under the tag.

Source: MMQB 
Jun 24 - 9:05 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter does not believe the Redskins and franchise-tagged QB Kirk Cousins will reach a long-term deal before the July 15 deadline.

Schefter thinks it will be "too difficult" to find the right value. "I think there would be teams willing to pay him if he were on the open market today more than Washington feels like it needs to pay him," Schefter said. "I think a team like the Cleveland Browns would’ve given him $20 million a year, maybe more." Already set to earn $19.95 million guaranteed this season, there is little reason for Cousins to take less than $20 million per year on a new deal, and the Redskins might want to see another season before shelling out that kind of cash. These deals tend to get done on deadline day, but it is certainly possible Cousins plays out the season under the tag.

Jun 30 - 10:06 AM

38 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I think the perfect move is to play him under the franchise tag and see what you got. No way I'd sign him to a long term deal worth some ridiculous sum based on one season against an uber-weak schedule.

Same.  Let him prove himself again and then give him a long-term deal.  Even if it ends up costing them more money it's worth it to find out if he's a one year wonder.

CSN Mid-Atlantic's Rich Tandler reports the Redskins will not reach a deal with franchise player Kirk Cousins before Friday's deadline.

He'll become the first quarterback to play under the franchise tag since Drew Brees in 2005. The Redskins reportedly offered Cousins $16 million annually with up to $24 million guaranteed but that wasn't enough to close the gap. He's seeking a deal that would pay him at least $44 million over the first two seasons. The 27-year-old will earn $19.953 under the franchise tag in 2016.

Jul 15 - 3:28 PM

Profootballtalk.com reports Redskins GM Scot McCloughan did not meet Kirk Cousins' asking price in long-term talks because McCloughan believes he can find a cheaper replacement for Cousins "at some point in the next year or two."

In other words, the Skins view Cousins as a replacement-level quarterback. Specifically, Florio wrote McCloughan "believes he can find a comparable quarterback who will be much cheaper than Cousins, at some point in the next year or two." Florio reported Cousins wanted $44 million guaranteed at signing, far more than the $24 million McCloughan was willing to commit. As much as any quarterback in the league, Cousins has a ton riding on the 2016 season.

Jul 18 - 11:08 PM

Florio is so full of #### about that. Pure speculation from PFT as usual.

Edit: Here's a quote from Scot McCloughan: "But the way I look at it is I want Kirk in a long-term deal, no doubt about it, but also I’m not gonna put our franchise in a situation where we’re gonna lose three or four younger guys that I think are gonna be good football players for one guy. I won’t do it. You know, that’s just how it is."

Edited by MattFancy

1 hour ago, MattFancy said:

Florio is so full of #### about that. Pure speculation from PFT as usual.

Edit: Here's a quote from Scot McCloughan: "But the way I look at it is I want Kirk in a long-term deal, no doubt about it, but also I’m not gonna put our franchise in a situation where we’re gonna lose three or four younger guys that I think are gonna be good football players for one guy. I won’t do it. You know, that’s just how it is.

This quote does not contradict Florio's assertion.  It may be speculation, but it's consistent with what I've heard from multiple sources (including Thom Loverro).

13 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

This quote does not contradict Florio's assertion.  It may be speculation, but it's consistent with what I've heard from multiple sources (including Thom Loverro).

Lol Loverro is just as bad. I think the Skins would ideally like to lock up Cousins, but want to make sure last season wasn't a fluke first. If Cousins has a repeat of last season, I don't think McCloughan will have a problem paying Cousins.

9 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Cleveland is the only "easy" game on there. 

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Talking about the pass defenses he'll face in this stretch I think.

Yes, I just meant from the perspective of fantasy passing stats. Obviously defenses change from year to year, but if you look at 2015 points against for the QB (1st being easiest for QBs, 32nd being toughest for QBs):

Pitt 7th  2+ the median

Dal 29th -1.8 the median

@NYG 2nd +4.1 the media 

Cle 6th +2.5 the median

@BAL 16th, + 0.4 the median

Phi  3rd, + 4 the median 

That is a nice run. Maybe use Bridgewater against the Titans, Browns QB vs the Eagles or Jimmy G against the Fins for week 2. Then for the Ravens game you could use Cutler vs the Colts, Jets QB vs Steelers or if Cousins has been playing well ride with him. That combo of Cousins and QBs likely free off of waivers should get you top 8 QB production for almost no cost. If Cousins really performed well, you might want to trade him as he has a brutal schedule after the Eagles game (Cinci, bye, Vikings, Packers, Cowboys Cards Eagles, Panthers). 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2016 at 2:01 PM, tangfoot said:

I saw that PFT article elsewhere and I agree with you. If giving Cousins and extra $3M per season causes you stress over keeping other players then you are absolutely not thinking of Cousins as a franchise QB. I obviously also think they want to see it again before laying out that kind of money and they were just hoping he'd take the low ball offer. If he takes something with $24M guaranteed, you have him locked in cheap and worst case scenario, it costs you an extra $5M if he actually sucks and you get rid of him.

While there were still huge deals (Cox, Wilkerson and Miller), there are a lot of GMs out there that don't want to give out cap strapping deals for 1 year wonders (not saying they won't be great, but 1 year great track record). We are doing the same with Short (although he's still in his rookie contract, so 1 year later than Cousins).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I saw that PFT article elsewhere and I agree with you. If giving Cousins and extra $3M per season causes you stress over keeping other players then you are absolutely not thinking of Cousins as a franchise QB. I obviously also think they want to see it again before laying out that kind of money and they were just hoping he'd take the low ball offer. If he takes something with $24M guaranteed, you have him locked in cheap and worst case scenario, it costs you an extra $5M if he actually sucks and you get rid of him.

While there were still huge deals (Cox, Wilkerson and Miller), there are a lot of GMs out there that don't want to give out cap strapping deals for 1 year wonders (not saying they won't be great, but 1 year great track record). We are doing the same with Short (although he's still in his rookie contract, so 1 year later than Cousins).

I don't take what the Skins are doing are doing as them not wanting Cousins long-term, but I take it as McCloughan being smart and not giving franchise QB money to a guy that got hot over the last 10 games of the season.

First 6 games:

151/228, 66.23, 1420yds, 6TDs, 8INTs, 77.4

Last 10 games:

228/315, 72.38, 2746yds, 23TDs, 3INTs, 119.1

That's a pretty big split difference there. I don't fault the Redskins at all for not going all-in and giving him a huge deal yet. Nothing wrong at all with seeing if he can do it again and if he does, paying him next offseason. Even as a Redskins fan, there's a bit of a Nick Foles feel here. They don't need to throw a bunch of money at a guy that had a good 10-game stretch. Make him do it again for a full season before they commit.

• Like 1

All its doing is pissing Cousins off. First he had to play choir boy to #BOB and wasn't even allowed to compete for the starting gig the first couple of years. Last year he took the reins and set franchise records. No doubt Cousins is a system QB but he knows and plays well in their system. Unless he really craps his pants they are going to end up paying more for him next year then if they sign him this year.

In todays NFL climate this years overpaid contract will be a bargain next year or year after.

1 minute ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

All its doing is pissing Cousins off. First he had to play choir boy to #BOB and wasn't even allowed to compete for the starting gig the first couple of years. Last year he took the reins and set franchise records. No doubt Cousins is a system QB but he knows and plays well in their system. Unless he really craps his pants they are going to end up paying more for him next year then if they sign him this year.

In todays NFL climate this years overpaid contract will be a bargain next year or year after.

Would you rather pay a bit more to make sure that you're right or overpay to find out you're wrong?

Just now, MattFancy said:

Would you rather pay a bit more to make sure that you're right or overpay to find out you're wrong?

Isn't it Scot Mccloughans job to know that after years of tape and more then a full seasons worth of quality starts? Leads me to believe he isn't sure and its that doubt that I think is stinging Cousins right now. Cousins has done and said everything right for years now.

They get too cute and he may just want to play for another team that hasn't treated him like a step child for years.