What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (3 Viewers)

Isn't it Scot Mccloughans job to know that after years of tape and more then a full seasons worth of quality starts?
It's also his job to know what the rest of the needs of this team are, and to plan accordingly.  If he sees that the defense completely sucks this season (high probability), then he knows that he has to spend a higher percentage of the available cap room to fix that problem.  Doing so would mean that there is less available to sign someone who, by all appearances, is an average NFL QB. 

He also knows what other contracts around the league are expiring, and which players from other teams he covets.

Isn't it Scot Mccloughans job to know that after years of tape and more then a full seasons worth of quality starts? Leads me to believe he isn't sure and its that doubt that I think is stinging Cousins right now. Cousins has done and said everything right for years now.

They get too cute and he may just want to play for another team that hasn't treated him like a step child for years.
Sure, Cousins played well last year. But, there's also 3 years of previous tape on him saying he's just a nice backup in the NFL that could start in a pinch. Do you ignore those other 3 years because of a good 2nd half of the season or do you franchise the guy and say, we want you here, but want to make sure you're the real deal?

Cousins has said he wants to be here and McCloughan has said he wants him to be here long-term. Honestly, this exact situation is what the franchise tag was made for. Cousins gets his pay day of $20M for a season and the Redskins get another chance to see if Cousins is the real deal before committing another 3 or 4 seasons.

It's a win/win for the Redskins. Cousins plays well again, they know they have their QB and they lock him up with a nice deal. If he reverts back to the Kirk of old, they're not on the hook past this season and can move on. Cousins is the one with the most to lose. If he plays poorly, he might be wishing he took the $16M/yr deal with $24M guaranteed.

I like him at his current ADP(124 overall) as it seemed the light turned on for him in the second half of last season.

Everyone, myself included, keep talking about this franchised season as if it is all or nothing, sink or swim, crash and burn or reach great heights. What no one seems to talk about, and what I feel could actually happen, is that he goes out and had a so-so season and nothing gets resolved. Then what?

Everyone, myself included, keep talking about this franchised season as if it is all or nothing, sink or swim, crash and burn or reach great heights. What no one seems to talk about, and what I feel could actually happen, is that he goes out and had a so-so season and nothing gets resolved. Then what?
Then he probably accepts something close to the 16-18 million they were offering this year.

Or, the team can pay an even higher premium and franchise him again if they really need more time.

Worst case of course is he pulls a "Fitzpatrick."

All its doing is pissing Cousins off. First he had to play choir boy to #BOB and wasn't even allowed to compete for the starting gig the first couple of years. Last year he took the reins and set franchise records. No doubt Cousins is a system QB but he knows and plays well in their system. Unless he really craps his pants they are going to end up paying more for him next year then if they sign him this year.

In todays NFL climate this years overpaid contract will be a bargain next year or year after.
Your line of thinking would have locked the Redskins into a long-term deal with RG3 after one very good season. How would that have turned out? Luckily, McLovin is a little smarter than the average message board poster ;)

MattFancy said:
Sure, Cousins played well last year. But, there's also 3 years of previous tape on him saying he's just a nice backup in the NFL that could start in a pinch. Do you ignore those other 3 years because of a good 2nd half of the season or do you franchise the guy and say, we want you here, but want to make sure you're the real deal?

Cousins has said he wants to be here and McCloughan has said he wants him to be here long-term. Honestly, this exact situation is what the franchise tag was made for. Cousins gets his pay day of $20M for a season and the Redskins get another chance to see if Cousins is the real deal before committing another 3 or 4 seasons.

It's a win/win for the Redskins. Cousins plays well again, they know they have their QB and they lock him up with a nice deal. If he reverts back to the Kirk of old, they're not on the hook past this season and can move on. Cousins is the one with the most to lose. If he plays poorly, he might be wishing he took the $16M/yr deal with $24M guaranteed.
Bingo.

Redskins OC Sean McVay said Kirk Cousins has displayed a better "overall command of the offense."

Cousins agrees, saying he has "a better understanding of the nuances" of the offense. "There are so many nuances and unique situations that only experienced players and quarterbacks are able to navigate properly," Cousins said. "So just continuing to get put in those situations and react and make quick decisions and the right ones is where I'm continuing to grow." Playing under the franchise tag, Cousins has a lot of money riding on his ability to master the offense and get the ball to his playmakers this season.

Source: ESPN

Watched a bit of this game and I hate to say it as a Cousins owner, but he was brutal.  Bad reads.  Skipping balls.  This one was on him.

I remember another recent quarterback who, when his performance was criticized, talked in terms of "we" instead of "I" and got killed for it in the press.

" "You take ownership, you step to the forefront and you lead and you challenge guys and you say what you need to do better," Cousins continued. "I think together, we can do that. That's what I'm going to do. That's what I've done my whole life, my whole life as a football player. This is no different. This is not new territory for me. I've faced challenges before, adversity before on the football field. We're going to find a way to move forward and play better. We're going to do it together." "

Here's the entire quote, including the author's own interpretation of the context:

In a Monday appearance with WJFK-FM in Washington, Cousins said it's "understandable" that teammates would grouse about their slow start to the season.

"I think people respond with emotion like you said. 0-2 is 0-2," Cousins said. "It's tough. No one wants to be there. I think we all feel like we're too good to be 0-2. We have too many players, too much talent. In a lot of ways, (we) aren't playing at the level we're capable of."

To Cousins' credit, he is neither fanning the flames of discontent nor backing away from the criticism.

"You take ownership, you step to the forefront and you lead and you challenge guys and you say what you need to do better," Cousins continued. "I think together, we can do that. That's what I'm going to do. That's what I've done my whole life, my whole life as a football player. This is no different. This is not new territory for me. I've faced challenges before, adversity before on the football field. We're going to find a way to move forward and play better. We're going to do it together."

So are you guys dropping him? 

I'm considering it. I have some decent options on the waiver wire (Tannenhill, Fitzpatrick, etc.).

I'm considering it. I have some decent options on the waiver wire (Tannenhill, Fitzpatrick, etc.).
I analyzed his schedule and he has a lot of tasty matchups, I'm gonna hold and hope he gets it straightened out, and his D is bad and his weapons are good, hoping for the best!  I will bench this week vs NYG tho, there D is solid.

Dropping him to grab Pitta or McKinnon. Staring Marriota. Cousins is equivalent to most on the ww so would rather get some additional upside elsewhere than him. Who knows may grab him again on the ww but not worth the roster spot at this point. 

He leads the league in completions and attempts and is third in yards. He just needs to add some TDs.

With the current running game, Cousins is going to have a few stinkers. There will be a few weeks where he makes every throw and there will be weeks where he misses.

But he's in a situation where he NEEDS to be perfect. There's no run game to bail him out or mask his inefficiencies.

With the current running game, Cousins is going to have a few stinkers. There will be a few weeks where he makes every throw and there will be weeks where he misses.

But he's in a situation where he NEEDS to be perfect. There's no run game to bail him out or mask his inefficiencies.
Run game was fine until abandoned on Sunday. He needs to quit short hopping his throws like he's a third baseman on a bang-bang play at first.

Gruden needs to grow up, and the WRs need to stop stomping around like 5 year olds.  What the #### is going on down there?
I haven't heard yet which players are complaining. I'm guessing that world-class D-bag DeSean Jackson is one of them. He's unquestionably one of the top three dumbest players in the NFL.

They have thrown Cousins out there like he is Manning or Brady.  I think Cousins is a good qb, not a great one.  They should be using him more like a game manager than a guy that throws the ball 40 times a game.  If they expect that of him week in and week he may not deliver.  But there are very fews qbs in the league that would...

They pass the ball 78% of the time. The only other teams over 70% are Jacksonville and New Orleans.
His efficiency numbers are good too, other than the TDs.  65.2% completion and 7.8ypa, both right on the edge of the top 10.

I was surprised when I saw all this talk about Cousins.  They just haven't finished in the redzone, which is pretty variable with a two week sample.  They're putting everything on his shoulders right now and he's doing OK with it.  11th in completion percentage and ypa is pretty dang good for a team telegraphing the pass by throwing 78% of the time.

His efficiency numbers are good too, other than the TDs.  65.2% completion and 7.8ypa, both right on the edge of the top 10.

I was surprised when I saw all this talk about Cousins.  They just haven't finished in the redzone, which is pretty variable with a two week sample.  They're putting everything on his shoulders right now and he's doing OK with it.  11th in completion percentage and ypa is pretty dang good for a team telegraphing the pass by throwing 78% of the time.
But if you actually watch him you see that he's missing a lot of really easy throws--and I don't mean that as a dumb fan I see a guy he's already passed in the progression running free and screaming how open he is--I mean the actual receiver he chooses, he's throwing some bad balls and costing himself easy TD's, easy big plays. He's playing nervous out there, needs to settle down.

If the teams's putting everything on your shoulders you're not doing well unless you're getting the TD's. The team's not there to compile good stats.

Like ConnSkins said, he's missing easy throws, missing open receivers including receivers open deep for likely TD's, threw the INT that lost the Dallas game, and threw other passes that were closer to INT's than completions. He's not playing real well.

I'm not sure if he's playing scared or tentative, or is just baffled like the entire coaching staff was baffled the last 2 games. The coaching staff bought into the "division champs, improved lineup this year, more weapons" stuff in the offseason and firmly believed the Redskins were better than they are. I think Cousins may have bought into that too, thinking both he and the team were better than they are.

Over the last two seasons, Kirk Cousins has a 14-to-13 touchdown-to-interception ratio without Jordan Reed (concussion, questionable) in the lineup.
With Reed on the field, Cousins has thrown 32 touchdowns to 12 interceptions. Reed is almost certainly going to miss this week, and Cousins is facing an Eagles defense which has given up the second-fewest points per game to quarterbacks. There are better options on the wire.

Source: ESPN 
Oct 15 - 10:42 AM

Users who are viewing this thread