What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (6 Viewers)

I think he could thrive on a team that had a little bit of O-Line talent.  Yes he stunk att eh end of the year, but what he did the course of the year with a banged up team cannot be ignored.  Not saying he is Brady or Rodgers, but am saying he is a very competent NFL qb that will do weel wherever he winds up - even, God forbid the Browns.  Where I would love to see him?  Houston.

I think he could thrive on a team that had a little bit of O-Line talent.  Yes he stunk att eh end of the year, but what he did the course of the year with a banged up team cannot be ignored.  Not saying he is Brady or Rodgers, but am saying he is a very competent NFL qb that will do weel wherever he winds up - even, God forbid the Browns.  Where I would love to see him?  Houston.
I’d love to see him anywhere but where he is. He’s defnitely an above average QB. just needs an oline that can help him survive 

Wash was the 19th most sacked QB this year. Bottom half of the league. It isn't like he was getting slaughtered back there.
They were 9th in QB hits allowed. He stood in there and took a pounding to complete passes. I watched him play a lot. The o-line was bad and he didn't have a lot of weapons. I don't think he's elite, but he's very good. 

They were 9th in QB hits allowed. He stood in there and took a pounding to complete passes. I watched him play a lot. The o-line was bad and he didn't have a lot of weapons. I don't think he's elite, but he's very good. 
He appears to work very hard and has been durable. They'd be fools to let him go but they aren't any good with him and won't be if he eats up ~25% of their cap. 

They gotta blow it up. 

Someone is gonna make an enormous mistake with this guy.
I dunno.  I think this team has been better than it would have been with a replacement level guy.  Kirk aside, this hasn't been a .500-level team, talentwise, the last few years.

He goes to a good team, he'll probably improve it a little (or if replacing a good QB on a good team, keep it steady).  He goes to a bad team, he probably won't improve it enough to make the investment worthwhile, but even so, I'm not sure that's enormous mistake territory.

He's a franchise QB without being a HOF QB, and he'll command the current going rate.

If stats are important, he's "very good". If winning games is important he's "average to good", nothing more. He loses more close games than he wins. No reason to overpay for that.
So you really love the weapons he had at his disposal? A cast of all star, pro bowl players. Lets see.
Crowder, ok good player....for a slot, 3rd down guy.
Doctson. can't catch, he's frail too. 6 catches out of 23 passes in last 2 games. Must be Cousins fault.
Grant, he's a special teams player and fill in WR
Pryor...stinks, what a waste of $.
Davis, meh..washed up.
Reed, his mellon is mush and his body is weak.
The rest are total bums.

Can't understand why Cousins had more INTs and his worse season since being named starter. Odd with all the pro bowl players at his disposal. Oh yeah. Great OL too protecting him like the superstars they are. From 23 sacks in 2016 to 41 sacks in 2017.

He stood in there and covered up for hits instead of getting rid of the ball a lot of those times. 

So what's the plan? Got one?
Not yet. It's still early. Everyone is always so quick to know exactly how the NFL is going to play out. Go back in this thread a couple months and Kirk is already wearing a 49ers jersey. I told everyone then to slow down, but nope. Done deal. Kirk is a 9er. Reunited with Shanahan. Stupid to think anything else. Well how did that work out? I don't know. I don't know anything for certain. Except that no one can predict these things. Vikings have 3 QBs. At least one will be available. Alex Smith may be available. Andy Dalton (Gruene may know this guy) may be available. 4 rookies might be good options. Some guy named Kirk is available too. Each have pros and cons. This has a lot of time left to play out. 

So you really love the weapons he had at his disposal? A cast of all star, pro bowl players. Lets see.
Doctson. can't catch, he's frail too. 6 catches out of 23 passes in last 2 games. Must be Cousins fault.
Davis, meh..washed up.
The rest are total bums.

Can't understand why Cousins had more INTs and his worse season since being named starter. Odd with all the pro bowl players at his disposal. Oh yeah. Great OL too protecting him like the superstars they are. From 23 sacks in 2016 to 41 sacks in 2017.
Zero of his 3 INTs yesterday were the WRs' or the line's fault. Same with all his turnovers in last year's finale that cost a playoff berth. 

I think Kirk makes the Jags an instant Super Bowl contender. Maybe Denver too. I'm not sold on their defense anymore though. The problem is he makes the Redskins a .500 ish team. Guy at the Skins bar yesterday said "I know Kirk can win games for the Redskins". Yeah, 7 of them. We've seen it. He's going to be 30 when the season starts. That's too old for how much the Redskins need to build around him.  I think it's best for both to move on. And I'll wish him luck. 

I think Kirk makes the Jags an instant Super Bowl contender. Maybe Denver too. I'm not sold on their defense anymore though. The problem is he makes the Redskins a .500 ish team. Guy at the Skins bar yesterday said "I know Kirk can win games for the Redskins". Yeah, 7 of them. We've seen it. He's going to be 30 when the season starts. That's too old for how much the Redskins need to build around him.  I think it's best for both to move on. And I'll wish him luck. 
30 is not too old. That's absurd.

This guy is an absolute stud and is gonna make a lot of money. I hope the niners sign him. He has absolutely no  one to throw to this year as still drops 300 yards 2tds with ease. 
He had exactly 4 out of 16 games this year with 300 & 2 this year and only 3 all of last year. I don't think you know what "ease" means, guy. 

Zero of his 3 INTs yesterday were the WRs' or the line's fault. Same with all his turnovers in last year's finale that cost a playoff berth. 
Apparently but maybe they don't happen if he's playing with starts instead of backups. According to Gruden, he was forcing the ball.

It comes down to blowing it all up and praying you draft an NFL caliber QB in the draft or upgrading the talent around Cousins.

For a build out I think it is. It's going to take the Redskins 3 years to build a contender. At that point he'll be 33. Both sides are better off moving on. 
At this point you are probably right. They have nothing at WR and their TE is unreliable. RB is a bunch of ham and eggers. That's just the O side of the ball that needs significant repairs.

Hello NFC East basement. Philly is going to own this division for a decade if Wentz doesn't get hurt again.

For a build out I think it is. It's going to take the Redskins 3 years to build a contender. At that point he'll be 33. Both sides are better off moving on. 
You're nuts man. QB's can easily play at a high level until their late 30's. He's had no health issues.

I dunno.  I think this team has been better than it would have been with a replacement level guy.  Kirk aside, this hasn't been a .500-level team, talentwise, the last few years.

He goes to a good team, he'll probably improve it a little (or if replacing a good QB on a good team, keep it steady).  He goes to a bad team, he probably won't improve it enough to make the investment worthwhile, but even so, I'm not sure that's enormous mistake territory.

He's a franchise QB without being a HOF QB, and he'll command the current going rate.
There are a handful of actual franchise QBs in the league and he’s not one of them.

You're nuts man. QB's can easily play at a high level until their late 30's. He's had no health issues.
Then why was there only 4 QBs that started the season at age 37 or older this year (Brady, Brees, McCown, Palmer)? 

I am going with the term "late 30s" to mean 37 and older. 34, 35, 36 to mean mid 30s. 30-33 early 30s. I don't think that is debatable, but even if you want to throw in 36 you only get to add Manning who is being pushed out of New York and hasn't been playing at a high level in years. 

Sebowski said:
Then why was there only 4 QBs that started the season at age 37 or older this year (Brady, Brees, McCown, Palmer)? 

I am going with the term "late 30s" to mean 37 and older. 34, 35, 36 to mean mid 30s. 30-33 early 30s. I don't think that is debatable, but even if you want to throw in 36 you only get to add Manning who is being pushed out of New York and hasn't been playing at a high level in years. 
Rivers is 37, Big Ben is 36 both playing at high level.

Mr. Know-It-All said:
To backup Watson?

Rivers turned 37 3 weeks ago. 36 isn't "late 30s". Point is you were wrong. You know it now. You're welcome. 
I think you’re arguing over semantics. If that makes you feel better then ok. Point is Cousins potentially has many good years left.

I think you’re arguing over semantics. If that makes you feel better then ok. Point is Cousins potentially has many good years left.
You're doing the semantics. Your statement that "QBs can easily play at a high level until their late 30s" is just wrong. QBs peak way before you think they do. I just tried to give you the facts to inform you. Don't hate. 

You're doing the semantics. Your statement that "QBs can easily play at a high level until their late 30s" is just wrong. QBs peak way before you think they do. I just tried to give you the facts to inform you. Don't hate. 
Can we just agree he probably has 5 years of quality play left? 

In any event, he should leave for Denver or maybe the Jets imo. And yes, I do think the Jets can be pretty good fairly quickly.

Can we just agree he probably has 5 years of quality play left? 

In any event, he should leave for Denver or maybe the Jets imo. And yes, I do think the Jets can be pretty good fairly quickly.
Yeah. That's all I was saying. I think the Redskins are 3 years from contending no matter who their QB is. That will put Cousins at 33 with a short window to beat the other 31 teams in the league.  Look at Roethlisberger, Manning, and Rivers right now. And then remember that Cousins can't hold their jock. It's time for both to move on. 

But with Tool here I was honestly trying to point out that he is working off a false assumption that QBs play well in their late 30s. The hall. Of farmers might. That's not the norm though. Not something to bet on. 

I think my main point still stands. You’re getting hung upon the exact meaning of ‘late 30’s’.

So, any chance McCoy actually kicks off the season as the starter assuming Kirk is elsewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:

He's a franchise QB without being a HOF QB
Those things seem contradictory. He'll improve a good team a little or not at all. He'll improve a bad team not at all.

He's a franchise QB.

Actually those things seem wildly contradictory.

If stats are important, he's "very good". If winning games is important he's "average to good", nothing more. He loses more close games than he wins. No reason to overpay for that.
Davis, meh..washed up.
The rest are total bums.
He had two 1000-yard receivers on his team in 2016 and led the team to a blazing 8-7-1 record, including a season-ending loss to the Giants among several of his late-season turds.

Guy at the Skins bar yesterday said "I know Kirk can win games for the Redskins". Yeah, 7 of them.
Cheaper QB's can do this.

The Cousins love and overhype comes from the past ---- from the "Griffin sucks so play Cousins because he's better" drama. The Cousins love does not come from his recent performance in the last 2 seasons.

Rivers is 37, Big Ben is 36 both playing at high level.
How many other QB's are backups that teams dread to start, or are out of the league, at that age.

Lots.

Cousins is nowhere near Rivers or Roethlisberger in ability.

I'm assuming he'll be in Denver next year.  Would be a perfect fit for that team if they can work out the cap stuff.
If I was in charge in Denver I'd pursue the hell out of him. They're a solid team that's adrift due to lack of a functional QB. Cousins could improve their win total by 2-3 games.

Cousins is very good and definitely not the reason Washington has been average. They would be wise to continue building around him. Maybe try and not have a terrible defense. 

They are instant garbage the day he walks out the door. Back to what they were before he became starter and hoping to luck into a comparable QB in the draft. What a plan.
I agree, but I also can’t make that guy the highest paid player in football. The Ravens made that mistake a few years ago, but at least their average QB had won them a SB.

I agree, but I also can’t make that guy the highest paid player in football. The Ravens made that mistake a few years ago, but at least their average QB had won them a SB.
If he demands to be the highest paid player in football, let him walk. But if they didn't want to pay him franchise QB money, they should have resigned him 2 years ago. He'd be a bargain by now. The Skins kept putting the guy off with the franchise tag and eventually you need to pay the piper. They bungled this up for two consecutive offseasons. Now, they can complete the screw-up and become another team winning 3 games every year until they get lucky with a quarterback, or bite the bullet and have to overpay some. 

Users who are viewing this thread