What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (1 Viewer)

cowboyz1 said:
What we are seeing is a second year rookie QB who spent the entire off season rehabbing and unable to work on his craft. While the rest of the league worked on how to stop him. Defensive coordinators have a lot of pride and stopping RGIII and the read option was on everyone's short list. It proves that a QB needs the off-season to prepare and you can't do that while rehabbing and even more so for a second year rookie. Especially now with the new rules for practice the teams have to follow. With RGIII we are seeing the result of not enough on field preparation, a QB that has lost his confidence and is not the leader that many thought he was. Hopefully he will make it through the rest of the season without getting really injured or getting his ego or confidence shattered in the process. In watching him defect questions, I think he is far more fragile and immature than most think. We may just be witnessing the second coming of Vince Young! He was off my draft board by the way for these very reasons. He's no AP and I haven't seen any QB come off an ACL and play well the next year especially one that runs the read option as a key to his success. He will also be off my draft board next year and until I see how his head turns out will not get a look in any round. Said all that to say this. I really dont think RG could hanldle getting benched so unless he gets hurt he's the starter.

Personally, I think the players association screwed themselves by negotiating softer practice routines. It is painfully obvious that the players aren't in the shape they need to be in to take the punishment of a full season of hitting. Practicing in pads and in weather prepares your body and toughens it up. These players are softer and it's noticeable.

Reminds me of a quote from Apocalypse Now. "Every day I squat here, Charlie is getting stronger while he squats in the bush". Players fought for easier practice schedules and now they are paying for it in injuries to hamstrings, quads, ankles, necks, shoulders and heads. I do believe this is the worst season for injuries that I have seen. Repeat injuries too. That short list that every team has should they need to sign someone to plug a whole, is empty. Especially if you need D linemen. I just think they went too far in negotiating a softer practice schedule and is costing us quality football on the field.
The lack of offseason for him is a bigger issue than most are making it out to be. Is it 100% right now? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think you'll find many players at 100% this late in the season. But when you spend all offseason working on getting your knee back together, you don't have much time to work on drop backs, timing with your WRs, watching film, reading defenses, etc.

I believe RG3 is a great competitor and will work hard in the offseason to prove this season was a fluke. He'll be able to work with his WRs, work on his passing game, and spend plenty of time watching film. Dude just had too much going on last offseason. I'm not even close to throwing in the towel yet. Weren't we saying all these things about Cam last year?
What do you think he spends all his time doing during the week during the season?

Training camp basically makes it a 20 week season instead of 16. We expect the guys who play in the preseason to have their regular season game worked into shape by the second or third week of the season. Even if you give RG3 a 7 week mulligan, he should be 4 games into his stride by now.
This is correct. Plus, I'm guessing many have never been to witness a training camp. The amount of time the QB goes full speed (not game speed) is about 10%. There is far too much emphasis being put on TC. Even with that, RG3 has had ample time to offset missing TC.
I've been to Redskins training camp specifically. Sure he's had time to get back into the swing of things. But when teams are working all offseason to stop you and you're working all season rehabbing a knee injury, things aren't going to go so well. Give him a full offseason and he'll be much improved.
What specifically did you see at Redskins camp that leads you to believe would help Griffin be better?
Just more practice in general. He didn't do a ton at TC. If I remember, he didn't really even do many team drills until toward the end of TC. He mainly was doing individual drills and 7-on-7.

I believe he needs to spend this offseason working more on his footwork and drop backs. He didn't get a ton of time to do that during the offseason. Every QB will always tell you there is something they can do better and improve. I'm sure RG3 would tell you that's what he needs to work on. I'm sure part of the footwork is knee related. And has the knee keeps getting stronger and stronger, his footwork will improve.
I get it about his footwork, but his issues appear to be more about pre-snap reads, progression reads, and pocket presence. I'm not sure how much of this (if any) would be helped had he had a full camp. I mean, he can do all of these in the film room, and from the sidelines watching Cousins in camp and during the games.

cowboyz1 said:
What we are seeing is a second year rookie QB who spent the entire off season rehabbing and unable to work on his craft. While the rest of the league worked on how to stop him. Defensive coordinators have a lot of pride and stopping RGIII and the read option was on everyone's short list. It proves that a QB needs the off-season to prepare and you can't do that while rehabbing and even more so for a second year rookie. Especially now with the new rules for practice the teams have to follow. With RGIII we are seeing the result of not enough on field preparation, a QB that has lost his confidence and is not the leader that many thought he was. Hopefully he will make it through the rest of the season without getting really injured or getting his ego or confidence shattered in the process. In watching him defect questions, I think he is far more fragile and immature than most think. We may just be witnessing the second coming of Vince Young! He was off my draft board by the way for these very reasons. He's no AP and I haven't seen any QB come off an ACL and play well the next year especially one that runs the read option as a key to his success. He will also be off my draft board next year and until I see how his head turns out will not get a look in any round. Said all that to say this. I really dont think RG could hanldle getting benched so unless he gets hurt he's the starter.

Personally, I think the players association screwed themselves by negotiating softer practice routines. It is painfully obvious that the players aren't in the shape they need to be in to take the punishment of a full season of hitting. Practicing in pads and in weather prepares your body and toughens it up. These players are softer and it's noticeable.

Reminds me of a quote from Apocalypse Now. "Every day I squat here, Charlie is getting stronger while he squats in the bush". Players fought for easier practice schedules and now they are paying for it in injuries to hamstrings, quads, ankles, necks, shoulders and heads. I do believe this is the worst season for injuries that I have seen. Repeat injuries too. That short list that every team has should they need to sign someone to plug a whole, is empty. Especially if you need D linemen. I just think they went too far in negotiating a softer practice schedule and is costing us quality football on the field.
The lack of offseason for him is a bigger issue than most are making it out to be. Is it 100% right now? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think you'll find many players at 100% this late in the season. But when you spend all offseason working on getting your knee back together, you don't have much time to work on drop backs, timing with your WRs, watching film, reading defenses, etc.

I believe RG3 is a great competitor and will work hard in the offseason to prove this season was a fluke. He'll be able to work with his WRs, work on his passing game, and spend plenty of time watching film. Dude just had too much going on last offseason. I'm not even close to throwing in the towel yet. Weren't we saying all these things about Cam last year?
What do you think he spends all his time doing during the week during the season?

Training camp basically makes it a 20 week season instead of 16. We expect the guys who play in the preseason to have their regular season game worked into shape by the second or third week of the season. Even if you give RG3 a 7 week mulligan, he should be 4 games into his stride by now.
This is correct. Plus, I'm guessing many have never been to witness a training camp. The amount of time the QB goes full speed (not game speed) is about 10%. There is far too much emphasis being put on TC. Even with that, RG3 has had ample time to offset missing TC.
I've been to Redskins training camp specifically. Sure he's had time to get back into the swing of things. But when teams are working all offseason to stop you and you're working all season rehabbing a knee injury, things aren't going to go so well. Give him a full offseason and he'll be much improved.
What specifically did you see at Redskins camp that leads you to believe would help Griffin be better?
Just more practice in general. He didn't do a ton at TC. If I remember, he didn't really even do many team drills until toward the end of TC. He mainly was doing individual drills and 7-on-7.

I believe he needs to spend this offseason working more on his footwork and drop backs. He didn't get a ton of time to do that during the offseason. Every QB will always tell you there is something they can do better and improve. I'm sure RG3 would tell you that's what he needs to work on. I'm sure part of the footwork is knee related. And has the knee keeps getting stronger and stronger, his footwork will improve.
I get it about his footwork, but his issues appear to be more about pre-snap reads, progression reads, and pocket presence. I'm not sure how much of this (if any) would be helped had he had a full camp. I mean, he can do all of these in the film room, and from the sidelines watching Cousins in camp and during the games.
So to get better a reading defenses, he should stop having to read them in game situations?

cowboyz1 said:

So to get better a reading defenses, he should stop having to read them in game situations?
He's not getting any coaching input while it happens while he's in there. You aren't going to fix it by winging it. Many a QB have learned by watching. I think it takes some guys longer to learn. Maybe Griffin is one of them.

cowboyz1 said:

Do you think that the portion of TC open to the public is all that these teams do? And why are you ignoring OTA's, as well as non-mandatory sessions where QBs work with their own trainers (QB coaches/"gurus") and with the receivers on their teams.

I'm not saying that the 4-5 weeks of TC were irreplaceable, but that having the off-season to work on improving as a QB, rather than just rehabbing his knee, was.

cowboyz1 said:

Do you think that the portion of TC open to the public is all that these teams do? And why are you ignoring OTA's, as well as non-mandatory sessions where QBs work with their own trainers (QB coaches/"gurus") and with the receivers on their teams.

I'm not saying that the 4-5 weeks of TC were irreplaceable, but that having the off-season to work on improving as a QB, rather than just rehabbing his knee, was.
Did I say that? But I do know that TC is the culmination of the offseason work. And none of it is timing like you get when the season starts in live action.

What has caused the apparent backwards step this year? I mean, he was good enough to win the ROY last season.

IMO, the problem is that defenses have adjusted. Last year it was more instincts. Now he has to read and react. He's clearly not doing well. Maybe watching, charting, and collaborating with coaches during the game would allow him to learn quicker. Maybe not.

cowboyz1 said:

And RG3 wasn't taking part in OTAs. He was rehabbing an ACL injury. That's where all his focus was this offseason. Show how many QBs can do the bare minimum in TC, play no preseason games, and then have a good season?

cowboyz1 said:

And RG3 wasn't taking part in OTAs. He was rehabbing an ACL injury. That's where all his focus was this offseason. Show how many QBs can do the bare minimum in TC, play no preseason games, and then have a good season?
More reason for why he should be sitting!!!

cowboyz1 said:

You don't sit him at this point. Hindsight is 20/20, but he should've sat to start the year. But there is nothing RG3 gains by sitting now.

cowboyz1 said:

You don't sit him at this point. Hindsight is 20/20, but he should've sat to start the year. But there is nothing RG3 gains by sitting now.
We can agree to disagree.

Sure there is. Get him accustomed to his new role, his destiny, before the next season. :lmao:

I really want to see Cousins start as well but probably for the opposite reason than most in this thread. I want to see him get exposed as an average backup QB so that people will stop talking about him like he is a franchise QB. I think he is the most overrated player in the league and does nothing better than RG3 does.
If you've followed the Redskins over the years you'll know that the most popular player in Washington has usually been The Backup QB, no matter who it was.

I really want to see Cousins start as well but probably for the opposite reason than most in this thread. I want to see him get exposed as an average backup QB so that people will stop talking about him like he is a franchise QB. I think he is the most overrated player in the league and does nothing better than RG3 does.
If you've followed the Redskins over the years you'll know that the most popular player in Washington has usually been The Backup QB, no matter who it was.
You must mean since Theismann and Doug Williams days.

Rich Tandler, who's reported on the Redskins for years.

After holding its own for the first half of the season, the Redskins’ offensive line has suddenly become a weak link.

Going into the Minnesota game, the Redskins were among the better teams in the league when it came to giving up sacks with just 14 on their ledger through the first nine games. But now they have given up 12 in their last three games and Robert Griffin III has had to run for his life on many other occasions.

At least the line had been able to hang their hats on the running game after they ran for identical totals of 191 yards against the Vikings and Eagles. But that came apart last night. They rushed for just 100 yards, averaging 3.7 yards per carry. Going into the game, Alfred Morris had a chance to take the NFL rushing lead but he gained just 52 yards on 14 carries.

Mike Shanahan said that the 49ers were “the toughest defense we’ve gone against this year” and called them a “great defense”. Well, they’re pretty good but the numbers don’t really bear out such high praise. The 49ers were 12th in the league in rushing yards coming into the game and 10th in yards per carry against them. Those are solid numbers but hardly “great”. And San Francisco came into the game with just 21 sacks, four fewer than the Redskins had. The Redskins have played eight games with teams that have more sacks to their credit.

cowboyz1 said:

Did I say that? But I do know that TC is the culmination of the offseason work. And none of it is timing like you get when the season starts in live action.

What has caused the apparent backwards step this year? I mean, he was good enough to win the ROY last season.

IMO, the problem is that defenses have adjusted. Last year it was more instincts. Now he has to read and react. He's clearly not doing well. Maybe watching, charting, and collaborating with coaches during the game would allow him to learn quicker. Maybe not.
You suggested that people posting about the importance of RGIII not getting a "normal" offseason haven't attended an NFL TC. The implication being that not getting a full offseason equates to TC. So, while you didn't say it, what you were implying was clear.

The defenses have adjusted; that's why the read-option type plays aren't as successful this year. But, as has been posted time an again, having a full off-season to work on his craft, rather than rehabbing his knee would have allowed RGIII to possibly keep up with those adjustments.

If you have a QB who gets better and the defense doesn't improve, the defense looks worse.

If you have defenses who adjust, but the QB doesn't improve (either because he had to rehab his knee, or because he sucks), the QB looks worse.

You feel that RGIII isn't very good, and that's your opinion, which you're entitled to. However, dismissing the fact that he was coming off of a major knee injury, which prevented him from improving, while defenses were adjusting, doesn't make sense, to me.

Do you not see the contradiction in these two recent posts of yours?

In the first you note the importance of the timing a QB needs to develop in regular season live action.

Then, 4 minutes later, you advocate sitting RGIII now, when he could be working on the timing a QB needs to develop in regular season live action.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorrect.

He didn't have a preseason.

Timing happens in-season.

He should be sitting because he is playing poorly.

Timing isn't the only reason he is playing poorly. It's only a part.

My primary point is he needs to WATCH and learn, not try to learn on the fly.

It's like Shaq shooting free throws. He was bad at it and no amount of practice helped. He was better off on the bench during crunch time, so the other team couldn't take advantage of his weakness.

If he had better coaching and was willing to learn, he could have gotten better.

Griffin isn't going to "get it" on the fly because his issues are more than just one specific issue. That's my opinion.

Incorrect.

It's like Shaq shooting free throws. He was bad at it and no amount of practice helped. He was better off on the bench during crunch time, so the other team couldn't take advantage of his weakness.

If he had better coaching and was willing to learn, he could have gotten better.

Griffin isn't going to "get it" on the fly because his issues are more than just one specific issue. That's my opinion.

Incorrect.

Why are you repeating yourself?

Why are you (deliberately?) misrepresenting facts?

Why aren't you making better sense?

1-He didn't have an OFFSEASON, not a preseason. As stated multiple times (I also heard Mort mention something along these lines on ESPN this afternoon), during the off-season was when RGIII was supposed to be able to advance his understanding of the offense, NFL defenses, schemes, the playbook, etc. He couldn't do that, because he was rehabbing.

2-He's not playing so poorly that he should sit. He's top-10 in passing yards. He's ahead of guys like Brady, Stafford, Flacco, Luck, Alex Smith, Eli, and Kaepernick in completion %. Should all those guys sit, as well? He's not having a great year, but he's not even close to being benched for performance.

3-Your primary point is wrong. It doesn't matter if you think it's right, it is wrong.

4-If it's not like Shaq shooting free throws, but if it were, watching someone shoot a free throw, without shooting them, doesn't make one better at it.

5-You have no idea if he is willing to learn, because he hasn't had the chance. He is having a bad year, but he didn't have the chance to improve this off-season. There is only so much that can be done during the regular season. This is a fact. You want to disregard it, but it is a fact. That's why teams want to have players around during the off-season. That's why they have OTA's, and that's why it is such a big deal when players are injured in the off-season, because they miss out on that irreplaceable time to learn and improve.

Your opinion that Griffin isn't going to get it is based on inaccurate facts and mis-understanding of the situation. While it may, in fact, turn out to be true, it won't be because you "read" the situation right, it will be because of luck, akin to a math student selecting the right multiple choice answer, despite doing the calculations wrong.

Wrong again.

So in his all out attempt to rehab, he had zero chance to get better at the mental side of the game? That makes ZERO sense.

He didn't have a preseason. Or did I miss some of his games?

I'm not trying to put this all on Griffin, his coaching staff should have had him more prepared mentally prior to starting him.

His passing stats are coming primarily from when his team is behind mainly due to his early-game performance. What was the stat on Monday night? Something like only 32 of his passes have been with the lead. His Defense is not good and neither has he been this season.

I think it's wrong to keep trotting him out there and risking injury when there are so many flaws with the team. And especially letting him scramble for his life.

Run the ball, toss screens, and move on.

Preserve their precious commodity!

Or, tell him they want him to rest, reflect, and keep him healthy for next season and let Cousins be the one getting mauled.

I vote for the latter.

Wrong again.

So in his all out attempt to rehab, he had zero chance to get better at the mental side of the game? That makes ZERO sense.

He didn't have a preseason. Or did I miss some of his games?

I'm not trying to put this all on Griffin, his coaching staff should have had him more prepared mentally prior to starting him.

His passing stats are coming primarily from when his team is behind mainly due to his early-game performance. What was the stat on Monday night? Something like only 32 of his passes have been with the lead. His Defense is not good and neither has he been this season.

I think it's wrong to keep trotting him out there and risking injury when there are so many flaws with the team. And especially letting him scramble for his life.

Run the ball, toss screens, and move on.

Preserve their precious commodity!

Or, tell him they want him to rest, reflect, and keep him healthy for next season and let Cousins be the one getting mauled.

I vote for the latter.
I'm not sure if you are fishing, deliberately being dense, or really don't get it.

He was aggressively rehabbing his knee, leaving him much less time to do the things in the offseason that he should have been able to do. I'm not making this up. It is a point that has been made and re-made (most recently this afternoon, by Mort).

Saying you were right to say "he didn't have a pre-season" when in reality, he didn't have any off-season at all is like saying "Aaron Rodgers missed the game last week." You are ignoring the fact that he has missed the last 3 games (almost 4). Your statement is true, yet doesn't tell the whole story.

It doesn't matter when his stats are coming. The fact that he is performing at a level similar to Brady, Stafford, Luck, etc shows that your belief that he should be benched based on his performance is ludicrous.

It doesn't matter that YOU THINK they should bench him. That's not the way the NFL works. Just because you think it doesn't make it right.

You're kidding, right?

It doesn't matter for fantasy football purposes when he gets his stats, but it sure as he'll matters in reality when his stats come. This is why he is doing "so well" and the team is taking a crap! He's a big part of the problem!

And just because "that's not the way the NFL works" doesn't make it right, it just makes it real.

Kyle Shanahan is the OC for the Redskins, is a reality, but that doesn't make it right.

You're kidding, right?

It doesn't matter for fantasy football purposes when he gets his stats, but it sure as he'll matters in reality when his stats come. This is why he is doing "so well" and the team is taking a crap! He's a big part of the problem!

And just because "that's not the way the NFL works" doesn't make it right, it just makes it real.

Kyle Shanahan is the OC for the Redskins, is a reality, but that doesn't make it right.
Who said he's doing well? You said he should be benched for performance. His "performance" is similar to those QBs I mentioned, yet no one would rationally argue that they should be benched. Just as you are not being rational when you try to argue that Griffin should be benched.

If you want to argue semantics, then fine. But the fact is that Shanahan is the OC for the Redskins, so he is going to call the plays, no matter how many times you say he shouldn't be. Just like Griffin isn't going to get benched (nor should he), no matter how many times you wrongly say he should.

RG3, or Robert, as Fletcher calls him, is not 100%. I am just hoping that all this bad play will not affect him psychologicaly in the future. I'd prefer he sit and actually see the game from the sidelines, as this year is already lost--it may add a different perspective that he has yet not seen (except for the CLE game last year).

Phil Savage@SeniorBowlPhil1h
One observation on 49ers/Redskins, when RGIII gets knocked down or sacked, no teammates help him up. Very telling, IMO.
I know this is old, but this is stupid. I rewatched the whole game (painful as it was) and there was only 4 instances total that ANY Redskin was helped up by a teammate. Helu twice, Alf once and RG3 once. This is a non-story that Phil Savage and whoever else is trying to roll with.

Phil Savage@SeniorBowlPhil1h
One observation on 49ers/Redskins, when RGIII gets knocked down or sacked, no teammates help him up. Very telling, IMO.
I know this is old, but this is stupid. I rewatched the whole game (painful as it was) and there was only 4 instances total that ANY Redskin was helped up by a teammate. Helu twice, Alf once and RG3 once. This is a non-story that Phil Savage and whoever else is trying to roll with.
What that shows is that the Redskins have begun quitting under Shanahan. We've seen more of that each week.

Cousins throws an INT which the Chiefs mercifully drop. This was after Cousins was sacked by a lineman bypassing Tyler Turnstile Polumbus, something Griffin's familiar with.

Im a fan of RG3 and owner but its not going to get any better....time to write off the season as a train wreck and quit getting him killed. Regroup and prepare for next year by letting Cousins play.I still remember watching Carr get the crap beat out of him and watching his confidence evaporate. RG3 playing right now is an exercise in futility and he has health concerns-Id be relieved for him to sit down and regroup

Until he gets the starter's snaps in a full week of practice, how much can be expected?
Have you not seen any Skins games this year? Our OL is horrible. It's not going to get better with a less-mobile Cousins back there. And he stares down WRs all the time. Getting starters reps in practice or not, you can't stare down your WR.

Have you watched the Redskins offensive line and playcalling lately? A small line built for zone blocking while rushing is being asked to protect pocket passing this year, and they're getting steamrollered.

Wondering how Cousins effects people like Garçon ?

Downgrade further ?
It's hard to say. It all depends on the pass protection and the running game, both of which have been lousy lately. If they continue lousy, I can't see any Redskin doing much with Cousins (or Griffin) starting.

Per ProFootballTalk.com

“If he lights it up, hey, maybe we can bring a first-round draft choice back to this organization, and say hey, who are we gonna take in the first round,” Shanahan said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “And I think by him playing and Robert not playing, it gives us a chance to have a few options for our organization that we wouldn’t normally have, and the safety of our quarterback going into the offseason is preserved. . . . His value can only go up. It cannot go down. It can only go up.”
:crazy:

Incorrect.

Shaq had big hands which caused his free throw problems because of the way he had to hold the ball.

Incorrect.

Shaq had big hands which caused his free throw problems because of the way he had to hold the ball.
That shouldn't matter for the Rick Barry method. If Shaq had been willing to learn, he could have gotten much better.

Per ProFootballTalk.com

“If he lights it up, hey, maybe we can bring a first-round draft choice back to this organization, and say hey, who are we gonna take in the first round,” Shanahan said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “And I think by him playing and Robert not playing, it gives us a chance to have a few options for our organization that we wouldn’t normally have, and the safety of our quarterback going into the offseason is preserved. . . . His value can only go up. It cannot go down. It can only go up.”
:crazy:
I don't get that last sentence. Is he talking about Cousins' value? If he is, then that's non-sense. Of course it can go down.

If he's talking about RGIII's value, it's interesting that he's even talking about him in that way - like he's talking about him as a trade piece.

If Cousins performs well, and it's a big IF, then I predict Griffin is traded in the off-season.

The D Coordinators have caught up to the read-option. This makes Griffin just slightly above average. He is not a pocket passer. JMHO

If Cousins performs well, and it's a big IF, then I predict Griffin is traded in the off-season.

The D Coordinators have caught up to the read-option. This makes Griffin just slightly above average. He is not a pocket passer. JMHO
0% chance of this happening. What reality do you live in?

Users who are viewing this thread