What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (1 Viewer)

If Cousins performs well, and it's a big IF, then I predict Griffin is traded in the off-season.

The D Coordinators have caught up to the read-option. This makes GriffinHi Joe,

I'm a long time subscriber and strong advocate for FBGs. You and I met in Vegas when you were passing out hats for the site. David Dodds and I have competed in multiple FFPC events as well.

I am about to win over $10K in the FFPC Draftmasters events and I owe a great deal of thanks to your site and staff. If be happy to provide a testimonial if you'd like once the season concludes.

The reason for my email is to ask for help. I have just been appointed a Board position with the New Palestine Cadet Football League (NPCFL). I am the director of Fundraising. We are in the attempt to build a concession stand, improve the fields, and other significant goals. I'm reaching out to my network to see if you'd be willing to help. Anything is appreciated. We are considering doing several activities like a walkathon, golf outing, and car show amongst others. Either cash and/or prizes would greatly help.

There are over 300 kids in the league and I thought this would be great exposure for your future customers!

Please let me know if this is something you guys would be willing to help.

Thanks in advance,

Russ Steele

317-379-0112

Sent from my iPhone just slightly above average. He is not a pocket passer. JMHO
0% chance of this happening. What reality do you live in?
0% chance? What world of absolutes do you live in?

I bet 3 weeks ago you'd have said there was zero % chance Griffin would be benched too?!

If Cousins plays like Nick Foles and someone is willing to give up two 1sts for RG3 then maybe there's a chance he gets traded. In other words about a 1% chance.

I think there's a better chance of me nailing the chick in my avatar than there is of Griffin being traded.

But I'm curious to know who's going with Cousins tomorrow and what are you realistically expecting? Matchup's certainly terrific but Cousins hasn't looked very good this season. Though in his defense he's never had a full week of practice and prep work before playing so that should help.

RG3 would bring more trade value to a struggling team in need of multiple players. Maybe Griffin isn't the franchise QB they had hoped for.

People make poor draft picks all the time.

I'm not saying it's likely, just possible.

What would Cousins bring in a trade? Maybe a 2nd?

Slight hijack.

I'm either gonna look like a genius, or it will blow up in my face (probably the latter) but I just picked up Cassel to play over Cousins. Peterson and Gerhart are not going to play, per https://twitter.com/seankjensen

Minny is down 3 CBs, and Philly will put up a ton of points. Cassel is gonna have to throw a ton and he has decent WRs.

RG3 would bring more trade value to a struggling team in need of multiple players. Maybe Griffin isn't the franchise QB they had hoped for.

People make poor draft picks all the time.

I'm not saying it's likely, just possible.

What would Cousins bring in a trade? Maybe a 2nd?
And maybe RG3 was destined to stink it up this year considering his major injury and inability to go through the kind of offseason a QB needs, especially a young QB.

WHile generally a 2nd year QB is able to work on his craft, reads, learn the plays better, make adjustments to what defenses were doing, RG3 was rehabbing to be able to walk, then jog, then run, then move around enough to be able to do what QBs do, all the while defenses were able to gameplan for him. Since he wasn't able to get any better as a QB, not to mention unable to move as well as he could (and he came back too early), it was a fairly good bet he would struggle this year.

I would lean more towards this being the reason for his struggles (not an excuse, a reason. There is a difference), as opposed to him not being the guy.

He might not be the guy, but this season would be a horrid way to evaluate that.

As for Cousins, I like him, and would prefer my Browns to trade a modest pick for him instead of drafting a QB high in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't make the trade the Redskins made for Griffin only to give up on him after his second season, especially considering what he showed in his first. I can't think of a single team in the league that would do something like that. You make that type of a commitment to a player, especially one who played at an extremely high level as a rookie, and you're not bailing on him now. And it would be a gigantic mistake to use this mess of a season as a definitive finding about the type of player he is or can ultimately become.

I understand what you're saying but I also think he has stated he is healthy, he has participated in practice all season, he jus looks like a different player now that teams have adjusted. I'm not hating on him. I hope he turns it around, I just don't see it happening in DC and especially with a new staff coming in and another new offense to learn.

I understand what you're saying but I also think he has stated he is healthy, he has participated in practice all season, he jus looks like a different player now that teams have adjusted. I'm not hating on him. I hope he turns it around, I just don't see it happening in DC and especially with a new staff coming in and another new offense to learn.
He looks like a different player because he's coming off a major injury and did not have an offseason of prep work. It's not like he was awful every second of the season either. He had plenty of good moments. I thought he looked very good, for example, on his one scoring drive last week against the Chiefs. The problem was inconsistency. There's far too much hyperbole going on with Griffin in my opinion. I'm not saying he played well but I don't think he was the walking disaster some have made him out to be. He's young and extremely talented. Let's see what happens when he's another year removed from the injury and has an offseason of prep work he can do instead of spending his entire offseason rehabbing.

You don't make the trade the Redskins made for Griffin only to give up on him after his second season, especially considering what he showed in his first. I can't think of a single team in the league that would do something like that. You make that type of a commitment to a player, especially one who played at an extremely high level as a rookie, and you're not bailing on him now. And it would be a gigantic mistake to use this mess of a season as a definitive finding about the type of player he is or can ultimately become.
I would agree with this even if he hadn't gotten hurt. The injury just makes this that much easier to agree with.

Healthy doesn't always mean prepared.

Even Brady had a down year after his major knee injury if I remember correctly, and his injury was at the very beginning of the year, and he was already a seasoned Vet.

It hasn't even been a full year since RG3 tore up his knee.

Per ProFootballTalk.com

“If he lights it up, hey, maybe we can bring a first-round draft choice back to this organization, and say hey, who are we gonna take in the first round,” Shanahan said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “And I think by him playing and Robert not playing, it gives us a chance to have a few options for our organization that we wouldn’t normally have, and the safety of our quarterback going into the offseason is preserved. . . . His value can only go up. It cannot go down. It can only go up.”
:crazy:
I don't get that last sentence. Is he talking about Cousins' value? If he is, then that's non-sense. Of course it can go down.

If he's talking about RGIII's value, it's interesting that he's even talking about him in that way - like he's talking about him as a trade piece.
Yeah, if you read the original story, Shanny is definately talking about Cousins. I means it good to be optomistic but he needs to think before he speaks.

Per ProFootballTalk.com

“If he lights it up, hey, maybe we can bring a first-round draft choice back to this organization, and say hey, who are we gonna take in the first round,” Shanahan said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “And I think by him playing and Robert not playing, it gives us a chance to have a few options for our organization that we wouldn’t normally have, and the safety of our quarterback going into the offseason is preserved. . . . His value can only go up. It cannot go down. It can only go up.”
:crazy:
I don't get that last sentence. Is he talking about Cousins' value? If he is, then that's non-sense. Of course it can go down.

If he's talking about RGIII's value, it's interesting that he's even talking about him in that way - like he's talking about him as a trade piece.
Yeah, if you read the original story, Shanny is definately talking about Cousins. I means it good to be optomistic but he needs to think before he speaks.
I think "Shanny" is right about Cousins' value. His value right now is basically zero. No team would trade anything for him so if he plays well, it goes from zero to something, even if that's not very much. That first-round nonsense he was spouting was probably just another shot at Snyder since they gave up that first-rounder to get Griffin.

So did Snyder actually push/force Shanahan on the trade that helped them draft Griffin? Or is that a widely-believed rumour?

If Cousins stinks up the joint the next 3 weeks, his value could hit rock bottom, especially given the matchups. Right now I'd say his value is strong in comparison to other backup QBs. His one start last year showed promise and he still has youth on his side. But if he plays poorly going forward it could kill his value.

If Cousins stinks up the joint the next 3 weeks, his value could hit rock bottom, especially given the matchups. Right now I'd say his value is strong in comparison to other backup QBs. His one start last year showed promise and he still has youth on his side. But if he plays poorly going forward it could kill his value.
Would they even bother trying to deal him if they didnt get a fairly high pick? I would think they wouldn't and shouldn't, espcially if they think he can be a remotely decent backup for them for even one year, that is probably worth more than some 6th or 7th rounder.

If he plays well yet they can only get a 3rd or so, still not even sure it makes sense to trade a young quality backup QB for that.

But yeah, if he does bad, rock bottom it is.

Ok, i guess his current value isn't zero. But especially given the matchups? He has some killer matchups. ATL is 23rd in points allowed to QB, Dallas 32nd.

If Cousins plays well what the hell does that say for Griffin?! I mean Cousins sitting in the bench all year better not come in and outperform the guy getting all the snaps in practice and games since the start of the season.

Off season or not, that will look horrible for Griffin. He better be cheering for a Cousins collapse.

If Cousins plays well what the hell does that say for Griffin?! I mean Cousins sitting in the bench all year better not come in and outperform the guy getting all the snaps in practice and games since the start of the season.

Off season or not, that will look horrible for Griffin. He better be cheering for a Cousins collapse.
Why? I don't think it matters if Cousins comes in a lights it up. RG3 is their starter next year.

I don't think Griffin's gone because Snyder loves RG3. I think it's pretty obvious Shanny wants to get out (and will) next year. Snyder will bring in a coach and ask "RG3 is your QB - do you want the job?".

I think it's pretty naive to think Griffin's not in Snyder's ear about what's going on, and Snyder's shoulder isn't there for Robert to lean on. It's the end of the year and the Skins aren't going anywhere, so Synder's doing the correct PR move - support your veteran coach for the rest of the year, smile and wave to show everything's alright and then start fresh next year.

I'm sure he's told RG3 to just tough it out the rest of the year because "things will be different next year."

Nobody wants to hurt their brand here. RG3 doesn't want to be seen as a whiner (any more than he might already be) and Snyder wants to keep things looking as stable as possible.

But I'm curious to know who's going with Cousins tomorrow and what are you realistically expecting? Matchup's certainly terrific but Cousins hasn't looked very good this season. Though in his defense he's never had a full week of practice and prep work before playing so that should help.
I'm starting him, expecting/hoping 250 yds and 2 TDs.

People talking about Griffin being traded? Wow, totally, totally clueless. No chance of that happening. None. Zero. Nada. Better chance of me shooting a monkey out of my ### than that happening. Almost makes me think you're trolling.

People talking about Griffin being traded? Wow, totally, totally clueless. No chance of that happening. None. Zero. Nada. Better chance of me shooting a monkey out of my ### than that

happening. Almost makes me think you're trolling.
No need to be a Richard. It was just speculation. I also speculated that RG3 would be benched when I started this thread and that was BEFORE anyone else had suggested it that I'm aware of.

I have cousins in over Palmer now, and I'm not sure I'm on solid ground with this. Palmer has the higher floor, but I need a good day as the underdog. 250 and 2 Tds is probably right for cousins, which makes me reconsider the safer option in Palmer.

I think Cousin is going to be a letdown. His upside is ,what, Christian Ponder- ish?? Shanahans might actually perfer a Christian Ponder over RG3 for their offense anyway.

I think "Shanny" is right about Cousins' value. His value right now is basically zero. No team would trade anything for him so if he plays well, it goes from zero to something, even if that's not very much. That first-round nonsense he was spouting was probably just another shot at Snyder since they gave up that first-rounder to get Griffin.So did Snyder actually push/force Shanahan on the trade that helped them draft Griffin? Or is that a widely-believed rumour?
Agreed about the trade value. Right now the most they could hope to get is a 4th, and I doubt they'd get that. If Cousins plays well that may go up to a 3rd, or if one team gets desperate, a 2nd.

As for the trade for Griffin, Shanahan has complete control of draft picks and trades and the roster. The rumor about Snyder meddling is out there now because Shanahan has failed and is floating excuses to media.

For those considering starting Cousins, Alfred Morris has had less than 15 carries each of the last 3 games, and has gained 52 yards or less each of the last 3 games. The more Morris runs today, the more it opens up the passing game.

This exact post could have been made about Richardson (and probably was).

Starting cousins over cutler. I think they showcase him to trade for pick in offseason.

Plus cutler at cle with good d and sleet today I don't like that coming off an ankle injury.

Ok, i guess his current value isn't zero. But especially given the matchups? He has some killer matchups. ATL is 23rd in points allowed to QB, Dallas 32nd.
That's my point. These are great matchups for a quarterback. If Cousins plays poorly against these teams it could kill his value.

If Cousins performs well, and it's a big IF, then I predict Griffin is traded in the off-season.

The D Coordinators have caught up to the read-option. This makes Griffin just slightly above average. He is not a pocket passer. JMHO
It would be the smart move. The Redskins are not smart.

I'd say there's a rather huge difference between a franchise quarterback and a running back. The NFL is a quarterback-driven league. Can you tell me the last time a team gave up on a franchise quarterback after only two seasons when one of those seasons displayed huge amounts of production, talent and promise?

I have cousins in over Palmer now, and I'm not sure I'm on solid ground with this. Palmer has the higher floor, but I need a good day as the underdog. 250 and 2 Tds is probably right for cousins, which makes me reconsider the safer option in Palmer.
I'm in the same situation with Rodgers out. Going with Cousins.

I'd say there's a rather huge difference between a franchise quarterback and a running back. The NFL is a quarterback-driven league. Can you tell me the last time a team gave up on a franchise quarterback after only two seasons when one of those seasons displayed huge amounts of production, talent and promise?
Griffin isnt getting traded. He wasnt benched either. he was deactivated. Theres a difference. If Cousins plays great football Griffin is still the starter next year. Now, if Griffin has a full offseason and still underwhelms next year its a different story but other than that, id agree chances are very slim that he gets traded. Either way, i think that he plays much better next season with a full offseason to learn the system and the coaches able to adjust the system.

I'm starting him, expecting/hoping 250 yds and 2 TDs.
That's what I'm hoping for too. Anything above that would be a bonus. Flynn put up 258/1 and 28 yards rushing last week so I'm hoping Cousins can at least duplicate that as a floor.

pizzatyme said:
TxBuckeye said:
People talking about Griffin being traded? Wow, totally, totally clueless. No chance of that happening. None. Zero. Nada. Better chance of me shooting a monkey out of my ### than that

happening. Almost makes me think you're trolling.
No need to be a Richard. It was just speculation. I also speculated that RG3 would be benched when I started this thread and that was BEFORE anyone else had suggested it that I'm aware of.
Alot of guys like to overreact, Russ. They make it sound like even discussing a possible trade is not worthy of their time and that you must be stupid. Like the above post - that is just an over-the-top response.

PinkydaPimp said:
packersfan said:
cstu said:
Griffin isnt getting traded. He wasnt benched either. he was deactivated. Theres a difference. If Cousins plays great football Griffin is still the starter next year. Now, if Griffin has a full offseason and still underwhelms next year its a different story but other than that, id agree chances are very slim that he gets traded. Either way, i think that he plays much better next season with a full offseason to learn the system and the coaches able to adjust the system.
There is no difference whatsoever, unless you are buying the Washington Redskins' public spin story. He was BENCHED for performance. RG3 will still be the starter next year, because Washington is fully invested in him for years.

PinkydaPimp said:
packersfan said:
cstu said:
There is no difference whatsoever, unless you are buying the Washington Redskins' public spin story. He was BENCHED for performance. RG3 will still be the starter next year, because Washington is fully invested in him for years.
He was deactivated because they couldnt protect him and didnt want to risk further beating. Minus the sacks, if he was just playing poorly he would have stayed on the field. If he was benched for performance, he would have simply been demoted to the backup role. Hes not even active. That tells you it wasn't simply a benching and was more health related.

packersfan said:
cstu said:
I think people forget just how good Griffin was in his first year, and it wasn't just with his feet. His accuracy and touch really surprised me, especially for such an inexperienced QB

packersfan said:
cstu said:
I think people forget just how good Griffin was in his first year, and it wasn't just with his feet. His accuracy and touch really surprised me, especially for such an inexperienced QB
Yup. I think people have forgotten how good he was last season and overrated how bad he was this season.

Alot of guys like to overreact, Russ. They make it sound like even discussing a possible trade is not worthy of their time and that you must be stupid. Like the above post - that is just an over-the-top response.
I'm not over-reacting at all. He is. Even mentioning the possibility of Griffin being traded because of this benching is so ridiculous that it isn't worth discussing.

What a surprise, KC doesn't make this OL look any more competent in pass blocking. Shocking, really!
:popcorn:
I don't get it. You think he's making the OL look good? I like Kirk, Im glad he's making some nice throws, but he's not making the OL look good, which is what my post was about.
9/12 199 2TDs nope, he's not making the line look good.
Are you watching the game? I wouldn't blame you if you weren't, with your Colts playing.

But Kirk looks good. The OL doesn't, although there was finally a clean pocket on that deep shot to Garçon. I'll give the full credit, hell extra credit, for that.

My posts have had nothing to do with Kirk. Just the OL's performance.

Users who are viewing this thread