What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Online deals thread**** (1 Viewer)

So you know my thoughts on the best display technology. Big fan of OLED and only have had plasmas. I have the 75 TCL Series 6. I am very impressed with the picture, ~170 local dimming zones. At 1300 it's a no brainer for me since we have 8k coming, this will hold until the 8ks are reasonable. The problem with an expensive TV is your going to sit on it a while and you won't be able to take advantage of new technology as it matures. Dolby Vision and HDR are amazing, so glad I jumped on the 4k train.
My whole house has 4K TV's except the 28 inch in the kitchen. I have a 4 year old Vizio M series, a 3 year old Samsung Curve (didn't pay for the curve, got it for the same price as a flat screen of that model), and a 1 year old Vizio E or D series. All of them are 4K. But I'm not really watching anything 4K except for a handful of 4K DVD's I have. So I'm not sure if it is worth dropping that kind of cheddar on the OLED 65. 

My whole house has 4K TV's except the 28 inch in the kitchen. I have a 4 year old Vizio M series, a 3 year old Samsung Curve (didn't pay for the curve, got it for the same price as a flat screen of that model), and a 1 year old Vizio E or D series. All of them are 4K. But I'm not really watching anything 4K except for a handful of 4K DVD's I have. So I'm not sure if it is worth dropping that kind of cheddar on the OLED 65. 
4k =/= HDR/Dolby Vision. So Disney+ is Dolby Vision/HDR, Amazon Prime has a ton of HDR content like Jack Ryan. Totally different beast than regular 4k.

Honestly, I was wrestling with the same decision you were at. 65 C9 for 2k or 75 TCL for 1300. Went the bigger route and super happy with it. Side by side with OLED it wouldn't look nearly as good but I'm really happy with it, used the rtings site and a youtube RGB pattern to set the picture. Football and hockey both look great, no blurring or washed out ice.

4k =/= HDR/Dolby Vision. So Disney+ is Dolby Vision/HDR, Amazon Prime has a ton of HDR content like Jack Ryan. Totally different beast than regular 4k.

Honestly, I was wrestling with the same decision you were at. 65 C9 for 2k or 75 TCL for 1300. Went the bigger route and super happy with it. Side by side with OLED it wouldn't look nearly as good but I'm really happy with it, used the rtings site and a youtube RGB pattern to set the picture. Football and hockey both look great, no blurring or washed out ice.
You're killing me here, smalls. I'm trying to show some restraint here! More than likely, I'm getting that OLED in February March time frame. 

What's your viewing distance for a 75"

THE ONYL TIME I EVER HAD A PROBLEM IS WHEN IT'S REALLY WINDY!!

If it's really windy and strong the door vibration confused the sensor so I get alerts my door is opening and closing when it's not doing anything.  Probably happened 3 or 4 times in 2 years

These TV deals are hard to let pass. But for now I am sticking with my two Panasonic ST plasmas. They've been good to me. 

@TheFanatic Get the new 75" yet?
Nope. But I was on Costco on Saturday. They have the QLED 82 for $2K. I keep picturing it in my basement. But it ain't happening until I get some business deals locked down. The good news is, 2 of them are to be done by the end of the year. Not sure I'm doing this before the end of the year with some hefty expenses in the last 2 months (new deck and new fence), just because of the optics. If the wife sees how much I'm spending, she's going to feel like she can spend like crazy. So no matter what, I'm looking at Super Bowl sale time. 

So you know my thoughts on the best display technology. Big fan of OLED and only have had plasmas. I have the 75 TCL Series 6. I am very impressed with the picture, ~170 local dimming zones. At 1300 it's a no brainer for me since we have 8k coming, this will hold until the 8ks are reasonable. The problem with an expensive TV is your going to sit on it a while and you won't be able to take advantage of new technology as it matures. Dolby Vision and HDR are amazing, so glad I jumped on the 4k train.
For the price and what you get with the TCL series 6 TVs those TVs are hard to pass up.

For the price and what you get with the TCL series 6 TVs those TVs are hard to pass up.
The only problem is the inclusion of Roku builds in some obsolescence that wasn't there before. For instance, I've got a 9 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma that we use primarily with Roku. We're on our 2nd Roku...the first one got laggy and was put into backup TV service and has now been obsoleted by Roku. No need to replace the actual TV.  What am I going to do in 5 years when the TCL Roku TV in the bar needs the Roku updated?  I suppose I could buy a standalone Roku box or stick, but something tells me that I'll want to keep it integrated because its so clean and I'll just upgrade the TV.  So they figured out a way to get $200 out of me every 5 years instead of $50.  But I'm still happy. Smart marketing.

The only problem is the inclusion of Roku builds in some obsolescence that wasn't there before. For instance, I've got a 9 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma that we use primarily with Roku. We're on our 2nd Roku...the first one got laggy and was put into backup TV service and has now been obsoleted by Roku. No need to replace the actual TV.  What am I going to do in 5 years when the TCL Roku TV in the bar needs the Roku updated?  I suppose I could buy a standalone Roku box or stick, but something tells me that I'll want to keep it integrated because its so clean and I'll just upgrade the TV.  So they figured out a way to get $200 out of me every 5 years instead of $50.  But I'm still happy. Smart marketing.
Can't update the "smart" tv Roku interface like you would with say an app on your phone?

Dad just sent me a pic of the 65 inch Samsing QLED at Sam's marked down from $1199.99 to $999. Yeah, not sure I'll be able to wait out the OLED any longer with prices like that. It's official. On the website, the 65 is $999 and the 75 is $1500
Ok so that is the Q6 series. Not a FALD or full array local dimming display ie edge lit and no local dimming zones. That means blacks and shadow detail won't be as good as that is. FALD is more important that Quantum LED IMO. This is why I went TCL vs the Samsung Q6 series. The Q7 is the series with QLED and FALD and it's more expensive, ie 2k vs the 1300 I paid.

What is qled and oled?  Last tv i bought was a 50" Panasonic plasma.
QLED is an LED that has the ability to be more vibrant. OLED is different type of display. OLED is the best display period. In terms of ranking, and not just IMO, read into it on CNET, rtings, etc.

OLED>>>>4k HDR/Dolby Vision FALD LED/QLED>>Edge lit QLED 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision>>any other 4k displays.

Ok so that is the Q6 series. Not a FALD or full array local dimming display ie edge lit and no local dimming zones. That means blacks and shadow detail won't be as good as that is. FALD is more important that Quantum LED IMO. This is why I went TCL vs the Samsung Q6 series. The Q7 is the series with QLED and FALD and it's more expensive, ie 2k vs the 1300 I paid.
That's what I needed to see. I can get the 65 inch Q7 for $1200 or get the 75 inch TCL for $1300 plus a sound bar. Decisions, decisions

So is the 75 going to be as good as the 65. 
Yes, at least in my opinion. And no matter what you do make sure you dial it in using the Roku app and the expert settings if you go TCL. If not then use the rtings settings for whatever TV you get.

Yes, at least in my opinion. And no matter what you do make sure you dial it in using the Roku app and the expert settings if you go TCL. If not then use the rtings settings for whatever TV you get.
Yeah, I always look up the proper settings rather than try to eye ball it myself and tweak it. 

Walking Boot said:
OLED is an advanced technology. QLED is a corporate brand name for a type of LED. 
Not really a brand name, it's actually a technology developed by Samsung and it uses a micro dot filter that allows for more vibrant colors. Not to be confused with micro LED.

FWIW I bought a 55 OLED 2 years ago for $1800 and haven't looked back. By far the best picture I've seen. I can imagine larger screens being great/better as well. A number of my GBs have all bought something (OLED, QLED, etc) over the past few years and the few that bought OLED are always the ones that get the most positive comments. #anecdotal

I also had my MIL buy a 49" TCL last year. For what she wanted, at $350 or whatever it was it was the best value for her money. That's always got to be in consideration.

Hope you guys stocked up, Oculus Quest sold out everywhere and going for 150%+ on eBay.  

Looking for one for the kids for Christmas so if anyone sees them come back in stock anywhere, let me know.  TIA!

Yup, it's like getting a car with a navigation system.  By the time you sell that car 10 years later, it looks like Pong.

Users who are viewing this thread