What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy scoring on the last play of the Pittsburgh game... (1 Viewer)

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy
Ben Roethlisberger passed to Emmanuel Sanders for 25 yards. Emmanuel Sanders lateraled to Jerricho Cotchery for no gain. Jerricho Cotchery lateraled to Le'Veon Bell for a 2 yard loss. Le'Veon Bell lateraled to Marcus Gilbert for 2 yards. Marcus Gilbert lateraled to Ben Roethlisberger for 3 yards. Ben Roethlisberger lateraled to Antonio Brown for 60 yards.
I'm curious how this is supposed to be scored, e.g. does Antonio Brown get credit for 60 receiving yards? How many passing yards does Roethlisberger get?

It seems, for example, that on CBS Antonio Brown hasn't been credited with any yards for the play. I know this kind of situation has come up before but I don't remember how it was scored previously.

They'll each get their yards, but it might take some time to sort it out. I didn't see the play, but own Brown ... how close was he to scoring?

They'll each get their yards, but it might take some time to sort it out. I didn't see the play, but own Brown ... how close was he to scoring?
He ran into the end zone but they ruled that he stepped out of bounds around the 10 yard line or so. It was close.

I'm already getting questions about it from the affected owners, so I'd just like to be able to let them know how it's going to work out. I'm pretty sure Brown will get the receiving yards. I assume the corollary to that is that Roethlisberger gets credit for passing yards for the entire play.

He ran into the end zone but they ruled that he stepped out of bounds around the 10 yard line or so. It was close.

I'm already getting questions about it from the affected owners, so I'd just like to be able to let them know how it's going to work out. I'm pretty sure Brown will get the receiving yards. I assume the corollary to that is that Roethlisberger gets credit for passing yards for the entire play.
I thought yards after a lateral were considered rushing yards? The only passing yards for Ben are from the pass.

He ran into the end zone but they ruled that he stepped out of bounds around the 10 yard line or so. It was close.I'm already getting questions about it from the affected owners, so I'd just like to be able to let them know how it's going to work out. I'm pretty sure Brown will get the receiving yards. I assume the corollary to that is that Roethlisberger gets credit for passing yards for the entire play.
Huh, I was watching in the bar with no sound and assumed that was ruled a forward pass at the end.My opponent has brown. ####.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown will get yards from where he caught the lateral, but will not get a reception.

Ben gets the passing yards for the entire length of the play.

I just can't remember if the sum of yards of all the receivers/guys in involved in the lateral has to equal the passing yards.

I think Ben gets 25 passing yards. Sanders gets the reception and 25 receiving yards. I think that all the other yards on laterals count as rushing yards but I could be wrong, they might be receiving yards, in which case Ben would get all of them. No, Ben doesn't get two completions as wdh said above.

I thought yards after a lateral were considered rushing yards? The only passing yards for Ben are from the pass.
I think this is correct. Ben should get 25 passing yards.

That's not how the official scoring works, though. It was a passing play, so the entire yardage gained will be passing yards.

Yes. Why are they not rushing yards. When a quarterback throws a quick screen backwards they are counted as rushing yards only to the receiver.

Did a quick google search on Hook and Lateral. There is no shortage of people asking this question from years past. It is all a passing play. The QB gets pts for the reception and the total number of forward yards from scrimmage to end of the play.. The 1st receiver gets the pts for the reception and the yards from scrimmage until the lateral. All other receivers get zero points for the reception, but get any pts for additional yards gained. The QB can only get a max of yards from scrimmage until the play is ruled dead. He doesn't get credit for all the lateral yardage gained.

I was wrong in my first assessment that it was rushing yards.

If you guys see the replay, I believe Brown looked up and sawhimself on the video screen and stepped out shortly thereafter. It looked to me like he decided that was more important than actually concentrating on staying in bounds. He could have and should have stayed in bounds. It was a shame.

If you guys see the replay, I believe Brown looked up and sawhimself on the video screen and stepped out shortly thereafter. It looked to me like he decided that was more important than actually concentrating on staying in bounds. He could have and should have stayed in bounds. It was a shame.
If he scored, then they would have reviewed it and probably deemed Ben's lateral forward and negated the play altogether.

This way I might get Brown's yards added on to help me.

It was a forward lateral as well. I doubt the NFL will bother to correct it though.

Roethlisberger:
1 pass completion
88 passing yards
3 receiving yards

Sanders:
1 reception
25 receiving yards

Le'Veon Bell:
-2 receiving yards

Marcus Gilbert:
2 receiving yards

Antonio Brown:
60 receiving yards

The only person who gets credit for a catch is Sanders.

Yes. Why are they not rushing yards. When a quarterback throws a quick screen backwards they are counted as rushing yards only to the receiver.
Once a "type of play" is established, it does not change unless there's a fumble. If it starts as a pass, it remains a pass throughout all laterals. If it starts as a rushing play (even if it's a backwards screen pass), then it remains a rushing play throughout all laterals.

If there had been a fumble by the Steelers, then all remaining yardage would have counted as "return yards" (not rushing yards OR receiving yards).

The official game book has Brown with 137 yards, so it seems they're crediting him 55 yards rec on that last play. Why CBS hasn't updated it yet is beyond me.

It was a forward lateral as well. I doubt the NFL will bother to correct it though.
I don't think they CAN correct it if it wasn't called a forward lateral on the field. They sometimes correct passes from the QB that are actually laterals, taking away a reception, passing yards and receiving yards, and making them rushing yards instead. But since the original completion had already been made, there's nothing to correct, per se.

Roethlisberger:

1 pass completion

88 passing yards

3 receiving yards

Sanders:

1 reception

25 receiving yards

Le'Veon Bell:

-2 receiving yards

Marcus Gilbert:

2 receiving yards

Antonio Brown:

60 receiving yards

The only person who gets credit for a catch is Sanders.
This is correct.

That's not how the official scoring works, though. It was a passing play, so the entire yardage gained will be passing yards.
I don't think that is correct. I think yards after a lateral on a passing play are scored as rushing yards.
If the stats in thread opener are correct, Brown gets credit for 60 receiving yards. Sanders gets the reception. All the yards are receiving yards. There is no such thing in the NFL as rushing and receiving yards on the same play. It is either or.

The general process...

Yardage with a lateral is always of the type of the originating play (rushing, receiving, kickoff return, punt return, fumble recovery). So all yards are receiving yards for the people who handled laterals.

The first receiver is the only one who gets a reception. He gets receiving yards from the LOS to the spot his lateral was possessed by the next teammate.

That next person gets receiving yards from where he caught the lateral, to the point where his own lateral was caught by the next teammate in line.

Just keep repeating that until Antonio Brown gets receiving yards from where he caught the ball to the end of the run.

And fumbles are kind of similar except you get charged with the yardage to the spot the ball is first touched by anyone on either team.

So, had this been Brown's only snap of the game, his final line would have been 0 catches for 60 yards?

Woke up this morning with an extra 6 points for Antonio Brown. Makes my life a lot easier, as I only need 10 points between Murray and Bailey to get to the finals.

I got a 137 yards total which gave me another 5 point bonus for going over 100.

Total points for Brown yesterday 24 :towelwave:

Went to bed last night and my ooponent had 10 points for L Bell in our ESPN ppr league. Woke up this morning and now he has 3 more at 13. Is it due to this screwball play, and is it correct?

So I guess what we learned here is that in the NFL it is okay to throw an illegal forward pass (lateral) just as long as the clock reads 0:00.

What a f'n joke the referee's have become....and then of course the side line guy eyeballs him going out of bounds by an inch but they couldn't see the forward pass. If he scores it gets reviewed and called back. Talk about bad luck...put my opponent up by .3

So I guess what we learned here is that in the NFL it is okay to throw an illegal forward pass (lateral) just as long as the clock reads 0:00.
No. It wasn't about the clock, it was about the outcome.

If Brown had scored, then the play would have been reviewed and overturned.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Here's ESPN's play by play:

4th and 4 at PIT 26

Ben Roethlisberger pass complete to Emmanuel Sanders for 7 yards, lateral to Antonio Brown for 55 yards, to the MIAMI 12 for a 1ST down.
Who got what on the play?

Because as I recall it, Sanders was further down than 7 yards, and also touching the ball and maybe even advancing or retreating there was Bell, an offensive linemen, and Roethlisberger (at least) before Brown got the ball on the last occasion.

Anyone have a real blow by blow on this?

I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Here's ESPN's play by play:

4th and 4 at PIT 26

Ben Roethlisberger pass complete to Emmanuel Sanders for 7 yards, lateral to Antonio Brown for 55 yards, to the MIAMI 12 for a 1ST down.
Who got what on the play?

Because as I recall it, Sanders was further down than 7 yards, and also touching the ball and maybe even advancing or retreating there was Bell, an offensive linemen, and Roethlisberger (at least) before Brown got the ball on the last occasion.

Anyone have a real blow by blow on this?
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013120806/2013/REG14/dolphins@steelers#menu=highlights&tab=recapBall snapped at the 21 (not the 26 as stated in the play by play). Sanders advanced to the 45 but tossed it back to Cotchery at the 41, who immediately lateraled it to Bell at the 36, who runs back to the 34 before lateraling to Gilbert at the 27, who advances to the 29 and then tosses back to Roethlisberger at the 27, who advances to the 32 and tosses to Brown at the (ahem) 32, who advances to the 12 before stepping out of bounds.

So, assuming that laterals are deducted from your receiving yardage, here is what I come up with:

Sanders: 21 to 41 (20 yards)

Cotchery: 41 to 36 (-5 yards)

Bell: 36 to 27 (-9 yards)

Gilbert: 27 to 27 (0 yards)

Roethlisberger: 27 to 32 (5 yards)

Brown: 32 to 12 (56 yards)

Total = 67 yards (from 21 yard line to 12 yard line)

So, assuming that laterals are deducted from your receiving yardage, here is what I come up with:

Sanders: 21 to 41 (20 yards)

Cotchery: 41 to 36 (-5 yards)

Bell: 36 to 27 (-9 yards)

Gilbert: 27 to 27 (0 yards)

Roethlisberger: 27 to 32 (5 yards)

Brown: 32 to 12 (56 yards)

Total = 67 yards (from 21 yard line to 12 yard line)
Overkill, I know, but looking at ESPN stats for Bell only, this stuff pops up when you get into the stats any given week:

- first of all, for Bell, I see 5 catches for 25 yards, but ESPN puts him down for 5/28/0.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331208023&period=0

- secondly, my recollection of how to handle these lateral plays is that the guy getting the lateral gets 0 catches for x receiving yards on the lateral. So it seems to me Bell should end up with 5/16/0, not 5/28/0.

No one ever goes to their commish on this stuff, nor should they, I just think it's funny how the game is based on how well a player does, but not really, it's actually based on the stats shown on x, y, or z website.

Users who are viewing this thread