What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

AK83NY

Footballguy
Hey I'm looking to get a new TV soon. I know all the holiday/black Friday deals were for last years models but I'm looking for something newer. I've read about 4K TV's, seen the great picture in theaters but wanted to know if anyone owned one?

What are your experiences? Do you find it a waste of money? This TV will get a lot of use for gaming, TV shows, sports and Blu-Rays.

I read these things were pretty much pointless until the content starts becoming available in 4k. Forget about cable or sat broadcast. Blu-ray is possible but that is about it. The new gaming systems can do 4k but not at the 60fps, only 30fps. So game developers are highly unlikely to ever make anything for 4k. Maybe some cut scenes... You can send 4k over HDMI 1.4 but need HDMI 2.0 to run 4k at high enough fps for gaming.

Until content makers start creating more in 4k I don't think it will take off. Nobody wants to go back in time and put disc into a player, and streaming in 4k is unlikely. Amazon, netflix, youtube, etc. aren't going to be streaming movies that large anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read these things were pretty much pointless until the content starts becoming available in 4k. Forget about cable or sat broadcast. Blu-ray is possible but that is about it. The new gaming systems can do 4k but not at the 60fps, only 30fps. So game developers are highly unlikely to ever make anything for 4k. Maybe some cut scenes... You can send 4k over HDMI 1.4 but need HDMI 2.0 to run 4k at high enough fps for gaming.

Until content makers start creating more in 4k I don't think it will take off. Nobody wants to go back in time and put disc into a player, and streaming in 4k is unlikely. Amazon, netflix, youtube, etc. aren't going to be streaming movies that large anytime soon.
Thanks!

Content won't be available on them until 2015 from cable/satellite providers (supposedly)...

By then, improvements on the first generation of these TVs will be happening, while prices fall. At this juncture buying one is a little bit of a waste.

Content won't be available on them until 2015 from cable/satellite providers (supposedly)...

By then, improvements on the first generation of these TVs will be happening, while prices fall. At this juncture buying one is a little bit of a waste.
You're right. The thing that really interested me is that a lot of these TV's can download upgrades to stay top of the line. Granted that probably will be limited anyways.

So, Polaroid of all people is announcing a 4K 50 inch television that will retail for $999.99 @ CES next week. Looks like prices have fallen fast on these.

So, Polaroid of all people is announcing a 4K 50 inch television that will retail for $999.99 @ CES next week. Looks like prices have fallen fast on these.
The best new TV tech isn't this 4K BS, it's OLED. Once those are at 1k I will be happy!

The best new TV tech isn't this 4K BS, it's OLED. Once those are at 1k I will be happy!
:goodposting:
Explain what is so great about OLED? Organic Light Emitting Diaodes, right? How is that better than LED? Don't tell me that the organic food crap has made its way to TVs.

Explain what is so great about OLED? Organic Light Emitting Diaodes, right? How is that better than LED? Don't tell me that the organic food crap has made its way to TVs.
Unless they can bring the cost way down to manufacture OLED then they are not the way of the future... Eveyrthing comes back to profit.

The pictures on the new 4k TVs are amazing & above and beyond anything!! If cable providers broadcast in this definition, I would buy one today.

I actually don't like the picture. It's like it's TOO real. Maybe for video games and possibly sports it could be cool, but I think it could suck for tv and movies.

It's just an LED tv that was fed all natural ingredients

Doesn't require a backlight. The screen can be ridiculously thin (paper thin). It is also flexible (can be curved, folded, perhaps even rolled up). And it's edible.

Viewing angles, color accuracy and black levels equal to or better than Plasma. As bright as LEDs. All the benefits of Plasmas and LED. Also thinner than LED and can have curved or non flat shapes. Really great tech but very very pricey right now.

Unless they can bring the cost way down to manufacture OLED then they are not the way of the future... Eveyrthing comes back to profit.

The pictures on the new 4k TVs are amazing & above and beyond anything!! If cable providers broadcast in this definition, I would buy one today.
Broadcasters can't even send 1080p signals, I have my doubts that the over the air/cable content will be at 4k anytime soon.

ETA and the mfg costs are coming down and will come down. Panasonic is going to be shutting down their plasma production, my guess is that they will be getting into OLED mfg soon. IMO 2 years and the costs will be reasonable.

Broadcasters can't even send 1080p signals, I have my doubts that the over the air/cable content will be at 4k anytime soon.ETA and the mfg costs are coming down and will come down. Panasonic is going to be shutting down their plasma production, my guess is that they will be getting into OLED mfg soon. IMO 2 years and the costs will be reasonable.
That's a good point, when the #### are these #######s going to get their #### together and broadcast 1080P for us... WTF?

Broadcasters can't even send 1080p signals, I have my doubts that the over the air/cable content will be at 4k anytime soon.ETA and the mfg costs are coming down and will come down. Panasonic is going to be shutting down their plasma production, my guess is that they will be getting into OLED mfg soon. IMO 2 years and the costs will be reasonable.
That's a good point, when the #### are these #######s going to get their #### together and broadcast 1080P for us... WTF?
Bandwidth

Bandwidth
Interesting article about broadcasting in 4k... It's from 2012 :thumbup:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/directv-begins-working-on-broadcasting-ultra-hdtv-signals/

Looking at getting a new TV in the 55-65" range. Is it worth getting a 4k? Will I notice a difference with normal content (cable, dvds, etc)?

Looking at getting a new TV in the 55-65" range. Is it worth getting a 4k? Will I notice a difference with normal content (cable, dvds, etc)?
No and no.
I'll also be in the market for this same thing very soon. I haven't bought a new TV in 4-5 years.If not 4K, then what should I be looking for? LED? Any particular specs I should be looking for?

No and no.
I'll also be in the market for this same thing very soon. I haven't bought a new TV in 4-5 years.If not 4K, then what should I be looking for? LED? Any particular specs I should be looking for?
For instance, would this be a better option:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55LF6300-55-inch-1080p/dp/B00TRQOYP0/ref=sr_1_3?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1442525181&sr=1-3&keywords=led+tv&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A7688789011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A3578042011%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A6928153011%2Cp_n_feature_six_browse-bin%3A2807398011%7C2807397011%7C2807399011%2Cp_n_feature_nine_browse-bin%3A10650190011

I think my kid broke my plasma TV.  I noticed a row of pixels out, and there was a small crack nearby.  For a few months a row of pixels would come and go.  Yesterday it completely died.

Looks like I need to find a new one.  Should I spend $1200-$1300 on a 4k or just get the best led for $800-$900?

Are cable companies going to start broadcasting 4k anytime soon?  I don't even have a BluRay player.  I stream everything.

I think my kid broke my plasma TV.  I noticed a row of pixels out, and there was a small crack nearby.  For a few months a row of pixels would come and go.  Yesterday it completely died.

Looks like I need to find a new one.  Should I spend $1200-$1300 on a 4k or just get the best led for $800-$900?

Are cable companies going to start broadcasting 4k anytime soon?  I don't even have a BluRay player.  I stream everything.
Planet Earth 2 will be coming out this year in 4k. http://www.tucsonlocalmedia.com/blogs/prime_time_review/article_afb1cb64-d9ad-11e5-9d21-b310c925b31c.html

List of streaming options that have 4k http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/where-and-how-to-watch-4k-uhd-content/

Users who are viewing this thread