Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Anyone own a 4K Television

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally pulled the trigger after squeezing as much life as I could out of my old Sony DLP.  LG CX65 OLED scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

i absolutely hate tvs over the fire place

Walking out of Costco with the 77 inch LG CX right now 

1 hour ago, Charlie Harper said:

Man....85" QLED  or 77" OLED?

I was gonna go with OLED, but 85" is tempting.

In all my research (which I’m sure is similar to any of you who’ve done the same) the QLED vs OLED debate at its brass tax really comes down to the room in which you’re watching it. If the room is by in large dark the OLED advantages make tons of since.  If the room is brighter the QLED’s advantages make since.  To me that’s more of a factor in a decision like yours vs the size differences. 

40 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

In all my research (which I’m sure is similar to any of you who’ve done the same) the QLED vs OLED debate at its brass tax really comes down to the room in which you’re watching it. If the room is by in large dark the OLED advantages make tons of since.  If the room is brighter the QLED’s advantages make since.  To me that’s more of a factor in a decision like yours vs the size differences. 

The other advantage is the 80T is 8" larger. That's a pretty significant difference in size.

5 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

The other advantage is the 80T is 8" larger. That's a pretty significant difference in size.

Yes of course, and in a brighter room The QLED will have a better picture and therefore that 8 inch size advantage is even greater. But in a dark room where the OLED will have an advantage in picture, at 77 inches already that extra 8 inches likely doesn’t overcome the picture advantage. Or at least it minimizes it dramatically in my opinion. If you’re talking a difference from a 48 inch to 65 inch then yes the size plays a big role. But a 77 inch TV is gigantic already.   That size of TV just a few years ago was incredible.

4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Surprised people are dropping $ now with Black Friday/Cyber Monday not too far off.  

I technically have 90 days to return it it a better deal comes up. Also you have to remember, I’m a public school employee so money is no object. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Laughing 1
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I technically have 90 days to return it it a better deal comes up. Also you have to remember, I’m a public school employee so money is no object. 

Well you’re an FBG’er so you burn stacks of $100 bills in your fireplace every Tuesday just because.  

• Like 1

I am picking up the TCL tomorrow.  Replying to the question on purchasing now, as was stated I have until Jan 17 to return.  I am also not sure if I will see a much cheaper price on this TV.  I have been watching it for quite a while looking for a larger TV that will fit my basement wall but not break the bank because it will mainly be for the kids and this is the cheapest I have seen it so it seemed like a good time to jump on it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Charlie Harper said:

Does anyone know if you can view streaming sites with Samsung's web browser? 

I know you can with LG. This might be the deciding factor between the CX or the the Q80T for me. 

Before I answer, I have to ask something. Charlie, is that you in your avatar? 

On 10/30/2020 at 12:16 PM, Charlie Harper said:

Man....85" QLED  or 77" OLED?

I was gonna go with OLED, but 85" is tempting.

I had a similar debate and decided bigger is better.  Unless you have both TVs next to each other I doubt you will be disappointed. 

My logical son also said since we are replacing a 5 year old cheap 60", any new TV will be a huge step up in picture.

5 hours ago, Payne said:

Those buying any variety of television that is NOT OLED should watch a dark movie as soon as possible. To me, that is where the biggest difference is between OLED and any other LED television. 

:shrug:I have and it looks fine to me.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

:shrug:I have and it looks fine to me.

Same here. I just bought the Sony X900H from Costco and it works for me. I looked at some OLED sets but a good one just wasn't in my budget this go round. When I decide to upgrade my den TV I will look at them again. 

My only concern with an OLED set is burn in images. I don't know how big of a deal it is but I've gotten mixed messages that it can happen. 

10 hours ago, The Flying Turtle said:

I had a similar debate and decided bigger is better.  Unless you have both TVs next to each other I doubt you will be disappointed. 

My logical son also said since we are replacing a 5 year old cheap 60", any new TV will be a huge step up in picture.

Yeah that is my only worry. I went '65 OLED. My friend is starting a similar project and I think he's going a little less on PQ but but 77 inch. Will I get jealous when I see his set-up? I will defer to your son though, I am upgrading from a 47' Plasma so it's going to look amazing either way. 

16 minutes ago, In The Zone said:

Same here. I just bought the Sony X900H from Costco and it works for me. I looked at some OLED sets but a good one just wasn't in my budget this go round. When I decide to upgrade my den TV I will look at them again. 

My only concern with an OLED set is burn in images. I don't know how big of a deal it is but I've gotten mixed messages that it can happen. 

I read about that and it seems to not be a worry unless you watch ESPN or FoxNews all day and the tickers on the bottoms stay there. Even then, there are features in the LG that can detect logos and reduce their brightness to lessen any chance (this works with OLED because very pixel is uniquely lit). There are also features that slightly shift the image every X amount of time so it's not the same pixels displaying the crawl on a screen. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Make sure to keep your receipt (I assume they will price match).  I just received the Costco flyer in the mail and the Sony 85" X90CH is dropping to $1969 on November 20.  That TV has gone from $2799 to $2596 to $1969 in a month. 

I guess this is a good time to be a buyer.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 7:12 PM, Ilov80s said:

Just took the plunge on the Costco deal for the 65' LG 4K OLED and Denon receiver. Just need the 4k player and 2 more height speakers and I will fully be in business. 

My 65" Costco OLED is coming today!

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

Make sure to keep your receipt (I assume they will price match).  I just received the Costco flyer in the mail and the Sony 85" X90CH is dropping to $1969 on November 20.  That TV has gone from $2799 to $2596 to $1969 in a month. 

I guess this is a good time to be a buyer.

Thanks for that. I do indeed have a receipt. I got the 65" for $969 on 9the last day of their sale. The next day it went back up to $1369. I'll definitely keep checking the price over the next couple of months. Once again, thanks. :hifive:

On 10/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, Hawks64 said:

Yes/No depending on who is doing the review. Rtings has it at a 7.9 while Cnet has it at an 8.8. Cnet has typically been a pretty huge fan of TCL and Rtings is much more focused on the test data, which they do more of it seems.

IMO it's worth the extra 100. Now I am just waiting for the 85" to make it to 8 Series or Hisense H9 series.

I'm not sure how I don't spend the extra $100. If I didn't, I'd always be wondering. 

Target is currently having a screaming deal on some TV's.  65in TCL was just $229.  Put it in my cart and by the time I went to purchase it was sold out at my local stores.  

The 55in is available for $279, which is still a good deal.  Might be worth checking your local stores.  Shipping was not an option.  

Hey all, very late to this thread so to far behind to try and catch up. I love my Panasonic Plasma (55") but despise the lack of smart TV features. Shopping for a new 4k Smart TV. Read a bunch of reviews and was all set to get a TCL 8 Series (65" btw, want to upgrade the size). Unfortunately that seems to be a Best Buy exclusive and is completely sold out, as in I don't even have the option to order one for delivery. So I thought about the 6 series and now even that is sold out in my area until late November. As I don't know when or if they will get any more 8 series, I decided to look at other options.

Reading more reviews, the wife and I are seriously considering the LG OLED65CXPUA Alexa Built-In CX 65" 4K Smart OLED TV (2020). A bit pricey, but all the sites I have looked at pretty much have this as the number one rated Smart TV. And, honestly, with COVID, we have spent no money this year at all, so we have the extra to spend. The only concern, and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet, is I have seen a lot of user reviews that talk about needing to tweak many well buried settings for the audio and video.

It sounds as if many of you in here may have this very TV? If so, did you have any of these issues with needing to tweak settings? Or was it pretty much plug and play for you?

Oh, and if I get it now thru Amazon, I can get a free XBOOM Go PL5 speaker. Not sure if that is anything worth a crud or not, but hey, it's free.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

sounds as if many of you in here may have this very TV? If so, did you have any of these issues with needing to tweak settings? Or was it pretty much plug and play for you?

I've had this one for about a month now. It is perfect out of the box but it is easy to make changes.

Somebody upthread recommended going to rtings.com for preferred settings and that was great advice. 

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Hey all, very late to this thread so to far behind to try and catch up. I love my Panasonic Plasma (55") but despise the lack of smart TV features. Shopping for a new 4k Smart TV. Read a bunch of reviews and was all set to get a TCL 8 Series (65" btw, want to upgrade the size). Unfortunately that seems to be a Best Buy exclusive and is completely sold out, as in I don't even have the option to order one for delivery. So I thought about the 6 series and now even that is sold out in my area until late November. As I don't know when or if they will get any more 8 series, I decided to look at other options.

Reading more reviews, the wife and I are seriously considering the LG OLED65CXPUA Alexa Built-In CX 65" 4K Smart OLED TV (2020). A bit pricey, but all the sites I have looked at pretty much have this as the number one rated Smart TV. And, honestly, with COVID, we have spent no money this year at all, so we have the extra to spend. The only concern, and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet, is I have seen a lot of user reviews that talk about needing to tweak many well buried settings for the audio and video.

It sounds as if many of you in here may have this very TV? If so, did you have any of these issues with needing to tweak settings? Or was it pretty much plug and play for you?

Oh, and if I get it now thru Amazon, I can get a free XBOOM Go PL5 speaker. Not sure if that is anything worth a crud or not, but hey, it's free.

Thanks.

Well with any TV, including your plasma, you should be adjusting the settings. Most are pretty straight forward and rtings.com has base settings for the majority of popular TVs based on their calibration. There are more LED owners in here than OLED but OLED is the best picture, so you can't go wrong with it.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Thanks.

I've had the C9 (predecessor to the CX) since last year and love it.  If you can afford it I highly recommend it.

• Like 3
On 11/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, jb1020 said:

Target is currently having a screaming deal on some TV's.  65in TCL was just $229.  Put it in my cart and by the time I went to purchase it was sold out at my local stores. 

Wound up getting this earlier this week. Really wasn't in market for TV but too good of deal to pass up.

These things went like hot cakes. There were over 200 of them in PHX metro and all were gone before lunch.

My advice on these target pickup deals is go in store to purchase it (don't wait the ~4 hours it takes for them to fulfill the order....as if people grab them in store before they're able to fulfill the order.....you're sol).

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
On 11/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, mphtrilogy said:

My 65" Costco OLED is coming today!

How is it? Mine came yesterday but I haven't unpacked it since I am waiting on the new entertainment center still. 

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

How is it? Mine came yesterday but I haven't unpacked it since I am waiting on the new entertainment center still. 

It’s really great, huge upgrade from the 14 year old DLP.  I also upgraded my receiver last month to a Denon 3700, so the whole package with 7.1 Atmos surround and the new tv really offers a true home movie theater experience.  I used the setttings on the RtNgS website to tweak the settings I prefer it to be not so bright, so dark room settings worked for me.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled/settings

I did have some handoff problems with my eArc,  a new cable from Amazon fixed that

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also had to swap the cable from my TiVo to the Denon as that needed to be upgraded to work better with the tv as well, once I did that, it works fine.

I am a mixed usage guy so I don’t watch any one channel for a long time, mostly movies a bit of sports and some tv shows so I am not too concerned with the burn in issues.  But it appears the tv has some good safeguards for screensavers etc.

disney+ has a lot of 4K content it really is great you should love it!

Good luck!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

It’s really great, huge upgrade from the 14 year old DLP.  I also upgraded my receiver last month to a Denon 3700, so the whole package with 7.1 Atmos surround and the new tv really offers a true home movie theater experience.  I used the setttings on the RtNgS website to tweak the settings I prefer it to be not so bright, so dark room settings worked for me.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled/settings

I did have some handoff problems with my eArc,  a new cable from Amazon fixed that

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also had to swap the cable from my TiVo to the Denon as that needed to be upgraded to work better with the tv as well, once I did that, it works fine.

I am a mixed usage guy so I don’t watch any one channel for a long time, mostly movies a bit of sports and some tv shows so I am not too concerned with the burn in issues.  But it appears the tv has some good safeguards for screensavers etc.

disney+ has a lot of 4K content it really is great you should love it!

Good luck!

Great news.  I also upgraded my receiver to the Denon and got 2 atmos speakers so seems like we will end up with a similar set-up. I am also going to upgrade to the Netflix 4k subscription. My friend and I were already sharing HBO Max and Hulu. We are going to share Spotfy and NF now too so it will actually end up saving me some cash. Maybe we will use that money to check out Disney+

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Great news.  I also upgraded my receiver to the Denon and got 2 atmos speakers so seems like we will end up with a similar set-up. I am also going to upgrade to the Netflix 4k subscription. My friend and I were already sharing HBO Max and Hulu. We are going to share Spotfy and NF now too so it will actually end up saving me some cash. Maybe we will use that money to check out Disney+

Your gonna love it! 

• Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 5:24 AM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Wound up getting this earlier this week. Really wasn't in market for TV but too good of deal to pass up.

These things went like hot cakes. There were over 200 of them in PHX metro and all were gone before lunch.

My advice on these target pickup deals is go in store to purchase it (don't wait the ~4 hours it takes for them to fulfill the order....as if people grab them in store before they're able to fulfill the order.....you're sol).

Yeah, I couldn't snag one in time.  Like You said...I didn't really need it, but you can't pass that up.  

Its still early, I'm sure another deal like that will roll around by Christmas.  

• Like 1

I have been thinking about getting a new TV and wanted your opinions on which of these 3 is the best:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-nanocell-81-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6406539.p?skuId=6406539

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-x750h-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6400728.p?skuId=6400728

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-x800h-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6400732.p?skuId=6400732

I have tried the TCL but the sound was terrible and when I got a sound bar (a good one), it made the remote not work properly for some reason, so I returned it.  I don't want to get a sound bar so the sound on the TV is important to me.  These 3 seem to have as good sound as any other in the price and quality range.

10 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I have been thinking about getting a new TV and wanted your opinions on which of these 3 is the best:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-nanocell-81-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6406539.p?skuId=6406539

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-x750h-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6400728.p?skuId=6400728

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-x800h-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6400732.p?skuId=6400732

I have tried the TCL but the sound was terrible and when I got a sound bar (a good one), it made the remote not work properly for some reason, so I returned it.  I don't want to get a sound bar so the sound on the TV is important to me.  These 3 seem to have as good sound as any other in the price and quality range.

You will need a soundbar, I doubt you'll like any built in TV speakers. They are getting more and more terrible. The speakers are tiny and the mfgs aren't putting effort into putting good speakers into the TV.

I would stay away from anything LG other than their OLEDs. Here's a link comparing the Sonys.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

You will need a soundbar, I doubt you'll like any built in TV speakers. They are getting more and more terrible. The speakers are tiny and the mfgs aren't putting effort into putting good speakers into the TV.

I would stay away from anything LG other than their OLEDs. Here's a link comparing the Sonys.

Thanks!  I will wait until the black Friday sales start and see if there's a significant price difference to buy anything, but I had narrowed it down to these for the most part.  Do you have any recommendations for a sound bar?  Price is definitely a factor and the main reason I wanted good sound from the TV itself.  Is it best to buy a sound bar from the same company as the TV?  Sony probably has some decent sound bars.

10 minutes ago, RC94 said:

Thanks!  I will wait until the black Friday sales start and see if there's a significant price difference to buy anything, but I had narrowed it down to these for the most part.  Do you have any recommendations for a sound bar?  Price is definitely a factor and the main reason I wanted good sound from the TV itself.  Is it best to buy a sound bar from the same company as the TV?  Sony probably has some decent sound bars.

It's really based on price. In the sub 200 range Vizio tends to be the king. Although there is a new one from Roku the streambar that had pretty good reviews and is like 130 bucks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

What cords are you using to hook this up? HDMI 2.x?

If you’re going to spend to get a great TV, what’s the point without a good cable to transfer the signal. It’s like buying a hot tub and using a garden hose for the plumbing. 

these days anyone and everyone I know uses platinum hdmi cables. Platinum is the new gold, which I’m sure you’ve heard, so get on board and into the hot tub fantasy suite with a good picture 

https://soundapproach.com/wireworld-platinum-starlight-cat8-ethernet-cable-bulk.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp4808-1&sc_intid=4808-1&gclid=CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyOrqlm6GCxqfb8lxn4-xnK-9VUDebt5gJ1qVGSMvZxU1denIMKxftRoCXmEQAvD_BwE

1 minute ago, wilked said:

If you’re going to spend to get a great TV, what’s the point without a good cable to transfer the signal. It’s like buying a hot tub and using a garden hose for the plumbing. 

these days anyone and everyone I know uses platinum hdmi cables. Platinum is the new gold, which I’m sure you’ve heard, so get on board and into the hot tub fantasy suite with a good picture 

https://soundapproach.com/wireworld-platinum-starlight-cat8-ethernet-cable-bulk.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp4808-1&sc_intid=4808-1&gclid=CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyOrqlm6GCxqfb8lxn4-xnK-9VUDebt5gJ1qVGSMvZxU1denIMKxftRoCXmEQAvD_BwE

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's like having a Ferrari but not having tires. That's the one I got once when I bought my first LCD and they tried to sell me cables for $75/per when Blue Jean Cables sold them for like $6.