What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (1 Viewer)

I always spent way too much on TVs.. and while I just bought an OLED for my primary, I have 4 TCL's and I swear they are all better than the expensive Sony and Samsung's of recent years.
Yeah the TCL I have is really nice but the LG blows it away 

Yeah the TCL I have is really nice but the LG blows it away 
Still can't get the 8 series in SA. Made the LG choice much easier to make for me. Not sure if it is a supply issue on TCL's end or an incompetence issue on Best Buy's. Been unavailable for well over a month now.

Trying my best to find a 4K TV and soundbar close to the $1200 - $1300 range total.   

Honestly, we don't watch a ton of movies with the sound blasting, but the wife did comment that the current soundbar kind of sucks and is hard to here.   Any opinions on something like THIS ??    It doesn't have the rear speakers, and as we talked the way our room is set up it would look a little dumb if we had rears.   Looks like it had decent inputs and at least has an Atmos option (I realize that it wouldn't be the same without the correct setup, etc.. ) 

The other one I saw was THIS one.    A litle more, no Atmos, but I thought the concept of having the option of the detachable speakers for the rears was intereresting.  

@Andy Dufresne  or anybody else to answer this one - would this be a bad option for streaming services?  If I remember correctly, doesn't Sony get into pissing matches with other companies and have less apps because of that?    Is there anything that wouldn't be able to stream on this - Prime, NF, Hulu, Criterion, Kanopy, etc.. ?
There are very few apps on this player. It is a poor option for streaming services. 

There are very few apps on this player. It is a poor option for streaming services. 
Are any of them on there, or am I just making sure the new TV streams enough and/or upgrading to a 4K roku?

ETA: @Andy Dufresne - thanks for the input.  Did you have an opinion on the cheap soundbar I linked above?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevermind on the Roku question - it looks like I wouln't need it, as I found in one of the reviews;

The H9G is an Android TV and as such offers a wealth of streaming apps, news and sports channels, entertainment channels, games, and more. Streaming video apps include Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, You Tube, Google Play Video, FandangoNOW, Tubi, 4K Now, and HBOMAX. You can also add Disney+, Hulu, Pandora, Pluto TV, and scores of lifestyle, sports, and music apps and games using the Google Play app store.

So I assume basically anything I can find on my phone I can get on the TV, which I am guessing would be Criterion and Kanopy as well. 

Sorry for all the questions.  I am behind in tech and I am getting old.   I might have to ask one of you guys to come over to program my VCR later. ;)  

Anyway, I was looking at stuff, and from what I understand here on the Hisense review:

ARC  Yes (HDMI 1)

eARC support  No

Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC  No

DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC  No

5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC  Yes

5.1 DTS via ARC  Yes

5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical  Yes

5.1 DTS via Optical  Yes

This TV can pass both DTS and Dolby Digital via ARC or optical, which is great, but it doesn't support eARC. If you want a similar TV that supports eARC, check out the Vizio P Series Quantum 2020.

Is that even if the soundbar I listed techinically has the ability to do a wider randge of audio inputs like Atmos, this TV would not do so.  Not sure how much it matters if it's just the one speaker/soundbar anyway,  but is my understanding correct that the only way it would have that option (Atmos) is if I had the 4K bluray player and watching a movie that had that?   

ETA:  It looks like the Vizio Quantum is about $30 more than Hisense in 65" and has the audio option of Atmos, etc.., but it has a worse grade overall and for picture than the Hisense H9.  I assume it's not worth the more money and less picture for that option if I am not doing the full array of speakers?

I think you might be looking at specs for a different model. What I read is that the H9G "supports DTS and Dolby Digital+ over HDMI ARC but lacks an HDMI eARC connection so you can only get the compressed Dolby Atmos signal via Dolby Digital+ with an external soundbar or HiFi system."

Blah, blah, blah.

"Atmos" specifically and "surround sound" in general are really just marketing terms when it comes to mid-level soundbars like the one you linked. And that one is a decent choice. I just sold a similar Samsung K550, which helped with dialog but didn't have much bass. I guess I'd say try it and if it's not good enough then return it. But know that to get a Soundbar that really simulates/creates a surround effect you're going to have to spend a couple hundred more.

As to the apps included in the TV - even though these are marketed as "Android" TVs that doesn't mean they have access to every streaming app in the Google Store. My Sony tv, for example, just recently got access to the Apple TV app. I'll check in a bit but I don't think it has access to Kanopy or Criterion. You might be better off getting a Roku Stick+ which is a great, affordable option for getting access to everything.

I think you might be looking at specs for a different model. What I read is that the H9G "supports DTS and Dolby Digital+ over HDMI ARC but lacks an HDMI eARC connection so you can only get the compressed Dolby Atmos signal via Dolby Digital+ with an external soundbar or HiFi system."

Blah, blah, blah.

"Atmos" specifically and "surround sound" in general are really just marketing terms when it comes to mid-level soundbars like the one you linked. And that one is a decent choice. I just sold a similar Samsung K550, which helped with dialog but didn't have much bass. I guess I'd say try it and if it's not good enough then return it. But know that to get a Soundbar that really simulates/creates a surround effect you're going to have to spend a couple hundred more.

As to the apps included in the TV - even though these are marketed as "Android" TVs that doesn't mean they have access to every streaming app in the Google Store. My Sony tv, for example, just recently got access to the Apple TV app. I'll check in a bit but I don't think it has access to Kanopy or Criterion. You might be better off getting a Roku Stick+ which is a great, affordable option for getting access to everything.
Thanks for the input, @Andy Dufresne !   Last question with the soundbar, etc. with the first one I linked is that even spending too much if I am not really getting the atmos, etc.  I knew I wasn't getting much surround effect, but what I was hoping is that it was at least louder and clearer than what we have.  Is that maybe the case, or do you know of anything better to recommend for a simple soundbar in that $400 and under range? 

Thanks for the input, @Andy Dufresne !   Last question with the soundbar, etc. with the first one I linked is that even spending too much if I am not really getting the atmos, etc.  I knew I wasn't getting much surround effect, but what I was hoping is that it was at least louder and clearer than what we have.  Is that maybe the case, or do you know of anything better to recommend for a simple soundbar in that $400 and under range? 
Short answer is that almost anything you get will sound better than the TV speaker. One of the reasons TVs are cheap is that they have almost no audio "guts" on them. I haven't tried out or even listened to many soundbars. I'd suggest heading to the store and listen to a few. Otherwise, the Sonos stuff is getting ubiquitous for a reason - they sound good and the ability to add on with other speakers makes it really flexible. You could get a Beam or refurbished Playbar for about the same price. Those would probably sound the best. Downside is no subwoofer.

Trying my best to find a 4K TV and soundbar close to the $1200 - $1300 range total.   

Honestly, we don't watch a ton of movies with the sound blasting, but the wife did comment that the current soundbar kind of sucks and is hard to here.   Any opinions on something like THIS ??    It doesn't have the rear speakers, and as we talked the way our room is set up it would look a little dumb if we had rears.   Looks like it had decent inputs and at least has an Atmos option (I realize that it wouldn't be the same without the correct setup, etc.. ) 

The other one I saw was THIS one.    A litle more, no Atmos, but I thought the concept of having the option of the detachable speakers for the rears was intereresting.  
Since you're looking for a streaming device why not the Roku Soundbar? Sounds like it even has optional wireless rear speakers.

TBH you are not going to get Atmos in any soundbar. It will take the sound and use DSP to make it seem like you have height/overheard speakers but it's not the true. Andy had the best suggestion. Go out and listen to a few of them and get what sounds the best to you.

Nevermind on the Roku question - it looks like I wouln't need it, as I found in one of the reviews;

The H9G is an Android TV and as such offers a wealth of streaming apps, news and sports channels, entertainment channels, games, and more. Streaming video apps include Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, You Tube, Google Play Video, FandangoNOW, Tubi, 4K Now, and HBOMAX. You can also add Disney+, Hulu, Pandora, Pluto TV, and scores of lifestyle, sports, and music apps and games using the Google Play app store.

So I assume basically anything I can find on my phone I can get on the TV, which I am guessing would be Criterion and Kanopy as well. 
No. There are a lot of Android TV apps , but nowhere near as many as you'd have available for your phone (Android Apps).

ETA: I'm just clarifying that. Andy already noted that the apps you asked about (Kanopy and Criterion) are available to Android TV.

No. There are a lot of Android TV apps , but nowhere near as many as you'd have available for your phone (Android Apps).

ETA: I'm just clarifying that. Andy already noted that the apps you asked about (Kanopy and Criterion) are available to Android TV.
Thanks.  I should have clarified that I meant more the streaming things I have on my phone which would mostly be Criterion, Kanopy, and Peacock.  I currently have Sony bluray players and get frustrated with apps like that not being on there which prompted me to have to get a Roku to begin with despite having PS4, XBox, and bluray player that could stream.  

I am going to get that Hisense H9G in the next couple days, so I hope that will take out the need to have to use those others devices just to stream.  

TBH you are not going to get Atmos in any soundbar. It will take the sound and use DSP to make it seem like you have height/overheard speakers but it's not the true. Andy had the best suggestion. Go out and listen to a few of them and get what sounds the best to you.
I got that, but I think I maybe have it backward and assumed that things like Atmos, etc being available might give a clearer/better sound despite not being truly set up for that.  

I was also trying to stay out of stores as much as possible, and didn't want to go in too much and poke around, but that might have to be the way to go.  

Sam's is having sales on Samsung Soundbars this week. My MiL just got the 3.1 for $200 down from $320. I installed it for her. It sounds great. 

I got that, but I think I maybe have it backward and assumed that things like Atmos, etc being available might give a clearer/better sound despite not being truly set up for that.  

I was also trying to stay out of stores as much as possible, and didn't want to go in too much and poke around, but that might have to be the way to go.  
Not really, atmos is more an immersive sound ie all the ambient stuff around you. Dialog will still be front and center. In generalities Vizio is the king of the 200 and under soundbars. Samsung and Vizio are good in the 2-600 range and then you start to get into the 1k plus ones like Sonos, and some mid end audio brands.

TL;DR version if you want to spend under 600 you probably can't go wrong with Samsung or Vizio. If you want  built in streaming I'd buy the Roku Soundbar and for under 600 you have a soundbar with two wireless rear speakers and sub. If you don't like it Amazon returns are super easy.

Well, I was in Costco yesterday and listened to the demos on their 4 display soundbars, couldn't tell much difference between them, got annoyed and left empty handed on that front. Lol.  

Well, I was in Costco yesterday and listened to the demos on their 4 display soundbars, couldn't tell much difference between them, got annoyed and left empty handed on that front. Lol.  
Costco surprisingly has a good selection of good soundbars. They might all sound the same because they all sound good.

If you think they all sound the same and they sound good then the decision is easy - buy the least expensive and/or most aesthetically pleasing.

Costco surprisingly has a good selection of good soundbars. They might all sound the same because they all sound good.

If you think they all sound the same and they sound good then the decision is easy - buy the least expensive and/or most aesthetically pleasing.
I think they had 2 Sonos and 2 Vizios out, then a 5.1 setup that wasn't working.    I was in a grumpy mood in general before going and then getting there and not seeing a difference between the TVs (ok, between the non-OLED TVs) and really not hearing a big difference in the soundbar just tipped me over the edge I guess.  LOL.  

Like you said, maybe I just take that as a positive and that I probably would be just as happy with the cheapest option and/or not bothering with the new TV part.  

I have a Sonos sound bar and bass. They are outstanding.

I did quite a bit of research on sound bars before buying. The answer that I kept running into everywhere was: Sonos.

It wasn't cheap, but worth it in my opinion. I'm waiting for the neighbors to knock on my door to tell me my bass is shaking their house.  :headbang:

I think they had 2 Sonos and 2 Vizios out, then a 5.1 setup that wasn't working.    I was in a grumpy mood in general before going and then getting there and not seeing a difference between the TVs (ok, between the non-OLED TVs) and really not hearing a big difference in the soundbar just tipped me over the edge I guess.  LOL.  

Like you said, maybe I just take that as a positive and that I probably would be just as happy with the cheapest option and/or not bothering with the new TV part.  
Honestly, looking at TVs in Costco is a huge nightmare. One they are all on super blast brightness and in a incredibly bright room lit with fluorescent lights. Use a site like rtings to get an idea on what is good/bad about what you want and then just buy it. Unless your buying a high end TV. Top of the line Samsung, Sony or LG OLED then whatever you're going to get has some warts. They won't be nearly as noticeable as you think once you have it home.

Also, auditioning audio there is a bit of a problem as well since there is soooo much ambient noise. If they all sound good then like @Andy Dufresne said get the one that meets your budget and aesthetic requirements. You'd be hard pressed to make a mistake going with a Vizio, Samsung or Sonos.

Honestly, looking at TVs in Costco is a huge nightmare. One they are all on super blast brightness and in a incredibly bright room lit with fluorescent lights. Use a site like rtings to get an idea on what is good/bad about what you want and then just buy it. Unless your buying a high end TV. Top of the line Samsung, Sony or LG OLED then whatever you're going to get has some warts. They won't be nearly as noticeable as you think once you have it home.

Also, auditioning audio there is a bit of a problem as well since there is soooo much ambient noise. If they all sound good then like @Andy Dufresne said get the one that meets your budget and aesthetic requirements. You'd be hard pressed to make a mistake going with a Vizio, Samsung or Sonos.
Good points on all, and the movie demos were mostly waves and ####.  The issue we usually have is with voices and that not coming in clear on the current one.  

The old soundbar i had where the back speakers pooped out quickly and the only tv I've had issues with were both Vizio so I have reluctant to go back to them despite seeing it show up on recommendations.  

Finally got the 65" LG OLED set up. Setup was easy, but am a bit unhappy in that one of the three screws that holds the crossbar to the main piece of the stand would not go in. I stripped two screws trying. So I had no choice but to put it up with only two of those three screws in.

Finally got the 65" LG OLED set up. Setup was easy, but am a bit unhappy in that one of the three screws that holds the crossbar to the main piece of the stand would not go in. I stripped two screws trying. So I had no choice but to put it up with only two of those three screws in.
One of my screws was kind of a pita as well and we only got it 90% of the way in but it didn’t impact the TV setting in and standing flat. How’s the the tv looking?

One of my screws was kind of a pita as well and we only got it 90% of the way in but it didn’t impact the TV setting in and standing flat. How’s the the tv looking?
Ok so far. But we watched a movie last night and whenever it had white letters on a black background, we'd see a halo effect around it, much like what I see around a car's headlights when it is coming towards me at night. I think I need to do the rtings.com thing and change some settings.

Is the the rtings article I should be using? 

LG CX OLED Calibration Settings  

It mentions this is what they used to test. I want to be sure there isn't another article I'm not finding for "everyday" use.

Ok so far. But we watched a movie last night and whenever it had white letters on a black background, we'd see a halo effect around it, much like what I see around a car's headlights when it is coming towards me at night. I think I need to do the rtings.com thing and change some settings.

Is the the rtings article I should be using? 

LG CX OLED Calibration Settings  

It mentions this is what they used to test. I want to be sure there isn't another article I'm not finding for "everyday" use.
Maybe others can comment. I put mine on cinema mode and so far have been very happy with it and don’t think it’s needed any adjusting. I haven noticed the halo effect but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Oh, I meant to mention, if mine had gotten to stripped for me to back out, I would have been in trouble. It would have easily been sticking out a 1/4 inch below the stand. I would have had to find some way to cut it or whatever. It would have torn the TV stand up.

Last question on the LG. My wife is noticing when we watch local news, voices are not quite in sync with the lips of the newscasters. Nowhere else, just live news, on a couple different channels. Could this be due to lag because I didn't upgrade to new 2.1 HDMI cables? Or is it likely the stations and it is just coincidence that more than one station are having this issue?

Last question on the LG. My wife is noticing when we watch local news, voices are not quite in sync with the lips of the newscasters. Nowhere else, just live news, on a couple different channels. Could this be due to lag because I didn't upgrade to new 2.1 HDMI cables? Or is it likely the stations and it is just coincidence that more than one station are having this issue?
I've been getting that a lot lately too. Only on news. It can happen on CNN, Fox, and local. I change the channel and go back usually fixes it. It is a minor nuisance that I haven't bothered to look into. 

I don't recall your exact setup but the more devices you have in that path you can get audio delays. Both my TCL and Marantz have delays that can be adjusted by the microsecond. Took me a bit to get it figured out for our nVidia Shield but it's thrown off the cable box. I just leave it set for the shield since we stream more than we watch cable.

I've been getting that a lot lately too. Only on news. It can happen on CNN, Fox, and local. I change the channel and go back usually fixes it. It is a minor nuisance that I haven't bothered to look into. 
I read it may be tied to the video delay live news uses to not let things get through the language filter. I'm not seeing it this morning, but I will go ahead and get a new 2.1 HDMI cable to see if it helps in case it is a matter of slight lag on the audio throughput.

I don't recall your exact setup but the more devices you have in that path you can get audio delays. Both my TCL and Marantz have delays that can be adjusted by the microsecond. Took me a bit to get it figured out for our nVidia Shield but it's thrown off the cable box. I just leave it set for the shield since we stream more than we watch cable.
I have no devices, the TV is plugged right in to the cable TV box. I read about adjusting the delay but, as it only affects the news,  I'm afraid I will buffoon it and make things worse. But it is in the back of my mind if it gets worse.

I read it may be tied to the video delay live news uses to not let things get through the language filter. I'm not seeing it this morning, but I will go ahead and get a new 2.1 HDMI cable to see if it helps in case it is a matter of slight lag on the audio throughput.
I haven't seen it in a while either, but I haven't been watching the news much since the election. 

OK, so I was looking at the Sony 900X and up sets last night. There is a special place in my heart for Sony. For a long time, that was all I owned and I felt about Sony how I feel about Apple computers (their phones can go to hell. Just kidding, just not my preference). Here's what I'm thinking. I'm looking for one of these three TV's in a 65 inch between now and cyber monday:

TCL 6 series mini LED (2020)

Samsung Q8 (Q9 with the 480 dimming zones would be better, but not likely)

Sony 900 or higher (Best buy near me has a 950G open box for $860 that I'm intrigued by but haven't seen first hand so no idea if it has burn in or what)

I think I would be happy with any of these for fireplace season to replace that BS 55 inch curve Curve thing I bought (I had them mark it down to the price of a non curved TV because that curve thing was an overpriced waste of a feature) that has the black line that runs up the left side one inch in from the outside. 

OK, so I was looking at the Sony 900X and up sets last night. There is a special place in my heart for Sony. For a long time, that was all I owned and I felt about Sony how I feel about Apple computers (their phones can go to hell. Just kidding, just not my preference). Here's what I'm thinking. I'm looking for one of these three TV's in a 65 inch between now and cyber monday:

TCL 6 series mini LED (2020)

Samsung Q8 (Q9 with the 480 dimming zones would be better, but not likely)

Sony 900 or higher (Best buy near me has a 950G open box for $860 that I'm intrigued by but haven't seen first hand so no idea if it has burn in or what)

I think I would be happy with any of these for fireplace season to replace that BS 55 inch curve Curve thing I bought (I had them mark it down to the price of a non curved TV because that curve thing was an overpriced waste of a feature) that has the black line that runs up the left side one inch in from the outside. 
Samsung is the highest rated but it comes down to what you are willing to pay, but you already know this. They are all fairly close but it's Samsung>Sony>TCL.

Samsung is the highest rated but it comes down to what you are willing to pay, but you already know this. They are all fairly close but it's Samsung>Sony>TCL.
And the TCL is the cheapest of the bunch so I'm leaning that right now. I have the 75 in the basement. Other than the ####ty remote, I'm real happy. So I'm just hoping a sale pops this weekend and I'll go pull the trigger. 

And the TCL is the cheapest of the bunch so I'm leaning that right now. I have the 75 in the basement. Other than the ####ty remote, I'm real happy. So I'm just hoping a sale pops this weekend and I'll go pull the trigger. 
I wish there was a better option than Harmony, they used to be so good and now it's pretty meh and there are no other real options last I looked into it.

Users who are viewing this thread